[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
Honda reports February Sales
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
American Honda reports January sales
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 15:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Acura ILX Could Get Honda’s New Turbo 4, But Will the Tuners Return?

Acura is in the process of waking up its product line—and not just on the outside. At the media launch of the considerably improved 2016 Acura ILX, we asked Acura product planner Gary Robinson when we might see a turbocharged version of Honda’s new 2.0-liter “Earth Dreams” 4-banger under the hood of Acura’s smallest sedan.

In typical Honda/Acura fashion, Robinson wouldn’t confirm anything outright, but he did open the door a crack. “Acura is always going to get the best engines Honda makes,” he said. And the cars in which they will be found “will always be more powerful” than their Honda counterparts. “Obviously, a 2.0-liter turbo is more of a must-have in the luxury world than it is in the mainstream world, so . . . ”

qingcong
Profile for qingcong
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 19:11
Yes please, and SH-AWD
Bafflegas
Profile for Bafflegas
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 19:40
^^^ This.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 19:57
I've been asking for thos car for a while now and the 2.0t (in various states of tune) could fill a lot of holes in Acura very limited drivetrain lineup.

ILX:
- ILX 201hp 2.4/8DCT (Audi A3 1.8t)
- ILX 240hp 2.0t/SH-AWD (Audi A3 2.0t Quattro)
- ILX Type-S 300hp 2.0t/SH-AWD (Audi S3 Quattro)

What I'm a bit unsure of is what transmission Acura could implement as the 8DCT wasn't designed for 2.0t levels of power and the 9AT simply isn't sporty enough to be in this type of car. The only other transmission I can think of thats sporty enough and strong enough is the 7DCT in the RLX Sport Hybrid but I'm unsure about it's size and complexity as it has an electric motor also.

retired
Profile for retired
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 20:20
Q: what transmission Acura could implement

A: 6RMT or 7RMT

Note: RMT = real manual transmission

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 21:08
CivicB18 wrote:
I've been asking for thos car for a while now and the 2.0t (in various states of tune) could fill a lot of holes in Acura very limited drivetrain lineup.

ILX:

What I'm a bit unsure of is what transmission Acura could implement as the 8DCT wasn't designed for 2.0t levels of power and the 9AT simply isn't sporty enough to be in this type of car. The only other transmission I can think of thats sporty enough and strong enough is the 7DCT in the RLX Sport Hybrid but I'm unsure about it's size and complexity as it has an electric motor also.

Don't forget NSX 9DCT. That thing is designed for massive torque from NSX turbocharged and electric assisted boost. The 2.0T should be a no brainer. Just hoping that it is compatible with future engine.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 23:22
Sedan/coupes:
ILX:

TLX: (CLX Coupe)
- TLX 240hp 2.0t/SH-AWD
- TLX 310hp 3.5/SH-AWD
- TLX Type-S 360hp 3.0tt/SH-AWD

RLX:
- RLX 260hp 2.0t/SH-AWD
- RLX 310hp 3.5/SH-AWD
- RLX 427hp 3.0tt/eSH-AWD

SUV's:

IDX:
- IDX 210hp 1.5t/SH-AWD
- IDX 260hp 2.0t/SH-AWD

RDX:
- RDX 240hp 2.0t/SH-AWD
- RDX 300hp 3.5/SH-AWD

MDX:
- MDX 310hp 3.5/SH-AWD
- MDX 360hp 3.0tt/SH-AWD

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 23:37
retired wrote:
Q: what transmission Acura could implement

A: 6RMT or 7RMT

Note: RMT = real manual transmission

HAHA. Or "MCT" for "Manual Clutch Transmission."

iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 23:42
His comments about a turbo 4 "always being more powerful" in Acura applications vs. Honda applications makes me wonder.

And it makes me think that the 2.0T is being viewed as a J-series V6 replacement engine only and probably won't be tuned down for use as a K24 upgrade/replacement...think of how Audi tunes the 2.0T (220 hp/258 lb-ft)...otherwise how could it be "more powerful"? I know it's a bit of a throw away comment in some ways...and I'm probably thinking too much about it...but this guy is a product planner for Acura. I'm assuming he's seen what the future looks like for the brand.

Which almost seems impossible in some ways right? I'm assuming the future of the Accord has a 1.5T and a 2.0T in it replacing both the K24 and the J35.

Do we really want a heavily boosted 1.5T in the TLX? The move with the TLX would seem to be a de-tuned 2.0T as a replacement/upgrade for the 2.4L right?

Maybe they can bore out the 1.5 to like...1.8L or something? That still seems small for the TLX.

Or will the K24 soldier on? With emissions standards being what they are how much more can Honda even get out of it?

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-09-2015 23:44
TSX69 wrote:

Acura ILX Could Get Honda’s New Turbo 4, But Will the Tuners Return?

Acura is in the process of waking up its product line—and not just on the outside. At the media launch of the considerably improved 2016 Acura ILX, we asked Acura product planner Gary Robinson when we might see a turbocharged version of Honda’s new 2.0-liter “Earth Dreams” 4-banger under the hood of Acura’s smallest sedan.

In typical Honda/Acura fashion, Robinson wouldn’t confirm anything outright, but he did open the door a crack. “Acura is always going to get the best engines Honda makes,” he said. And the cars in which they will be found “will always be more powerful” than their Honda counterparts. “Obviously, a 2.0-liter turbo is more of a must-have in the luxury world than it is in the mainstream world, so . . . ”

Short of having a 300HP, AWD version, I don't think you'll be seeing too many tuners.

"Tuners" in the traditional sense are largely turning away from Japanese cars anyway, because they are too sterile, and there is simply too much performance available off of the show room floor these days to justify the effort and cost in most cases. You figure when you can buy an Accord that will basically run 13's for about what it would cost to buy a Civic Si, supercharge it and fix the suspension, it starts to become compelling to take the Accord with worse handling, but better ride, quality and features.

Those that are tuning, are largely doing it on either cheap entry level cars (Focus ST, Fiesta ST) etc or are spending the extra dough on something like a Mustang GT.

300HP is just getting to be too much for a FWD car. I think the limit in many cases is still closer to 250HP without having to "cut" power in lower gears. I know our Accord V6 will light up the front end like a muscle car if you aren't diligent when you launch the thing.

lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2015 12:39
iutodd wrote:
His comments about a turbo 4 "always being more powerful" in Acura applications vs. Honda applications makes me wonder.

And it makes me think that the 2.0T is being viewed as a J-series V6 replacement engine only and probably won't be tuned down for use as a K24 upgrade/replacement...think of how Audi tunes the 2.0T (220 hp/258 lb-ft)...otherwise how could it be "more powerful"? I know it's a bit of a throw away comment in some ways...and I'm probably thinking too much about it...but this guy is a product planner for Acura. I'm assuming he's seen what the future looks like for the brand.

Which almost seems impossible in some ways right? I'm assuming the future of the Accord has a 1.5T and a 2.0T in it replacing both the K24 and the J35.

Do we really want a heavily boosted 1.5T in the TLX? The move with the TLX would seem to be a de-tuned 2.0T as a replacement/upgrade for the 2.4L right?

Maybe they can bore out the 1.5 to like...1.8L or something? That still seems small for the TLX.

Or will the K24 soldier on? With emissions standards being what they are how much more can Honda even get out of it?

Replacing the J35 or a Honda/Acura 6 cylinder with a turbo 4 cylinder is going to be a HUGE MISTAKE. I hope they are not planning on doing that. Every time they replace a good 6 cylinder with a turbo 4 especially in larger heavier cars it never turns out very good, reliability is normally diminished, real world fuel economy and performance almost always go down or simply remains the same for a less refined less reliable powerplant. A 2.0 liter turbo tuned for 300hp or so in a bigger heavier car is not going to get better fuel economy, be as reliable, or drive better then a 6 cylinder.

Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2015 13:07
I agree the 6 should atleast stay in the Acura range but it needs to be modernized DOHC, timing change etc. What im concerned about is the J in its current form having to rely on complexity like VCM to remain efficient. Long term issues will probably arise and not sure how much more power they cqn squeeze out of the J.
kiwikungfu
Profile for kiwikungfu
Re: ILX Could Get a Turbo 4    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-10-2015 21:17
I worry an ILX turbo will remain to heavy to be fun, and AHMC will not put the engine in a lighter package.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0