[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from 05-10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Hot Deals > > Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Slingbox 350 for $118.99, Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-22-2013 12:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Good deal if you're looking for a slingbox 350
If you order one via that link, TOV gets a tiny commission too. I'm ordering one for myself.

Enter the code SLING350 for $30 off of this order, bringing the final price down to $118.



Another cool device for cheap is the Google Chromecast and Amazon has the lowest price on it (currently $29.99). I have two of these and they're great.




TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
.. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2014 15:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
We got a Chromecast as a Christmas gift.

I wish they had spent the extra five bucks and put in a wired GigE port on the Chromecast.. as it stands now it only works wirelessly.

And... my issue with that is that Chromecast only works with 2.4Ghz.

In my house, I have to run front and back access points to provide reasonable mobile coverage. I had 2.4Ghz (G) in the front and 5.0Ghz (N150) in the back... but my son's older iPhone and now the Chromecast only run at 2.4Ghz so I had to enable dual band ( 2.4GHz G,N150) at the back too.

So, now, there's a band in the middle of the house where I get interference with 2.4Ghz G and I'm also stuck with THREE different wireless networks.. ( well, that sort of helps with the bandwidth I guess).

The solution is to spend at least 700 bucks to get low end enterprise pure access points that can provide a single network and manage contention between themselves using the wired LAN....

I don't know, it would have been so much easier if they had included a wired option as well.


DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2014 16:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have never looked into Chromecast and won't right now either, but what does it offer?
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-09-2014 16:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX, you need to get a smaller house!

My son, who is much more into TV tech than I am, recently bought a new Samsung SmartTV, and retired his Chromecast. He claims the Samsung does everything and more than Chromecast.

Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 05:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
And... my issue with that is that Chromecast only works with 2.4Ghz.

So, now, there's a band in the middle of the house where I get interference with 2.4Ghz G and I'm also stuck with THREE different wireless networks.. ( well, that sort of helps with the bandwidth I guess).

The solution is to spend at least 700 bucks to get low end enterprise pure access points that can provide a single network and manage contention between themselves using the wired LAN....

You can set 2.4G network on different channels so no interference. And no need for enterprise AP - 30$ tp-link is good enough after putting dd-wrt firmware ;)

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 10:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Waldo wrote:
TonyEX, you need to get a smaller house!

My son, who is much more into TV tech than I am, recently bought a new Samsung SmartTV, and retired his Chromecast. He claims the Samsung does everything and more than Chromecast.



I have a Samsung SmartTV as well, so...is that what Chromecast is essentially?

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 13:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:

I have a Samsung SmartTV as well, so...is that what Chromecast is essentially?


Yes, I think so. He initially got the Chromecast to "cut the cord" (monthly cable charges) and used it happily for this purpose for several months with his old TV. He bought the new Samsung TV on a Black Friday special, and when he brought it home, he was surprised to find that he no longer needed the Chromecast. Everything he used was built into the TV.

Cutting the cord is not an option for cable sports fans, or if you like shows on some cable channels that opt not to post their programs on Hulu or other such service. I believe FX is one such channel.


40mpg
Profile for 40mpg
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 14:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Waldo wrote:
DCR wrote:

I have a Samsung SmartTV as well, so...is that what Chromecast is essentially?


Yes, I think so. He initially got the Chromecast to "cut the cord" (monthly cable charges) and used it happily for this purpose for several months with his old TV. He bought the new Samsung TV on a Black Friday special, and when he brought it home, he was surprised to find that he no longer needed the Chromecast. Everything he used was built into the TV.

Cutting the cord is not an option for cable sports fans, or if you like shows on some cable channels that opt not to post their programs on Hulu or other such service. I believe FX is one such channel.




I am heavily thinking of cutting the cord too, but cannot decide where to go between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime (and Chromecast now that Jeff brought it up). Any suggestion? I don't watch movie. Most time I watch Food, HGTV, and DIY, and the kids favorite is Nickelodeon. I have DirecTV now with DVR, and having the DVR is kinda spoiling for me, as I can program the recording and watch when the kids are asleep. I have the Netflix and Hulu trial now. Most my friends like Netflix, but I found that Hulu has the most recent TV episodes, while Netflix is not (hence sort of replacing my DVR). The only thing is Hulu have limited and old episodes of Nickelodeon, HGTV, DIY & Food. Amazon has better selection, but will cost me more if I want to watch things that is not in the Prime member list. Help!

EXV6
Profile for EXV6
Re: Slingbox 350 for $118.99, Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 14:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I bought myself a Chromecast just before Christmas ($32 @ Amazon). I love it. At this moment I am casting Pandora (a free app). It was very easy to set up. You need wifi & must download the Chrome browser if u don't already use it. I can "cast" from my computer, tablet or phone (Android 2.3 or greater). I am a big YouTube fan (luv them road test videos) plus I added Netflix streaming ($8/mo) to my existing dvd plan. First month is free. There are eight or so other supported apps, like HuluPlus and HBO Go. YouTube has many vids on how to set it up and use it.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 14:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
There's more TV on HuluPlus, but there are some commercials (annoying) Netflix has zero commericials, but TV shows aren't availabe nearly as quickly (typically about 1 month after DVD of season is available in stores).

Had both for a while, ended up dropping HuluPlus and keeping Netflix....I like Netflix much better for the kids programming (small kids in particular).

40mpg wrote:
Waldo wrote:
DCR wrote:

I have a Samsung SmartTV as well, so...is that what Chromecast is essentially?


Yes, I think so. He initially got the Chromecast to "cut the cord" (monthly cable charges) and used it happily for this purpose for several months with his old TV. He bought the new Samsung TV on a Black Friday special, and when he brought it home, he was surprised to find that he no longer needed the Chromecast. Everything he used was built into the TV.

Cutting the cord is not an option for cable sports fans, or if you like shows on some cable channels that opt not to post their programs on Hulu or other such service. I believe FX is one such channel.




I am heavily thinking of cutting the cord too, but cannot decide where to go between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime (and Chromecast now that Jeff brought it up). Any suggestion? I don't watch movie. Most time I watch Food, HGTV, and DIY, and the kids favorite is Nickelodeon. I have DirecTV now with DVR, and having the DVR is kinda spoiling for me, as I can program the recording and watch when the kids are asleep. I have the Netflix and Hulu trial now. Most my friends like Netflix, but I found that Hulu has the most recent TV episodes, while Netflix is not (hence sort of replacing my DVR). The only thing is Hulu have limited and old episodes of Nickelodeon, HGTV, DIY & Food. Amazon has better selection, but will cost me more if I want to watch things that is not in the Prime member list. Help!



Brutus
Profile for Brutus
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 16:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just got one myself, for the sole purpose of running HBO Go, since Comcrap will not allow the HBO Go app on a Samsung smart tv to work, nor does it allow it on Roku, and the only other device is Apple TV, but for $30 bucks who wants to spend $100 to get this. Works solid and is simple, not as hi quality as my pre-recorded Hi-dizzneff HBO that i have on my Tivo, plus it can get stuck....I think this is more due to my router.

I wish you could choose your photos off your iphone/ipad or show. There are not a lot of apps supported right now either, and would love to have Amazon Prime, but oh well.

For $30 bucks pretty cool device, but needs more time to get more stuff on it.

B.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-10-2014 16:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't have kids, and I don't watch TV, but my wife sure watches TV. If there was some job that paid you to watch Lifetime, HGTV, that channel where cops and detectives are always recounting murder cases, whatever channel has Operation Runway Chef Challenges, and Bravo, she would be getting her shoes polished by Warren Buffet.

That said, I keep the cable mainly for internet. I just don't know if my TV addict wife could ever get her fix off cutting the cord.

eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-11-2014 04:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
$25 for students btw.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-12-2014 11:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
40mpg wrote:

I am heavily thinking of cutting the cord too, but cannot decide where to go between Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime (and Chromecast now that Jeff brought it up). Any suggestion? I don't watch movie. Most time I watch Food, HGTV, and DIY, and the kids favorite is Nickelodeon. I have DirecTV now with DVR, and having the DVR is kinda spoiling for me, as I can program the recording and watch when the kids are asleep. I have the Netflix and Hulu trial now. Most my friends like Netflix, but I found that Hulu has the most recent TV episodes, while Netflix is not (hence sort of replacing my DVR). The only thing is Hulu have limited and old episodes of Nickelodeon, HGTV, DIY & Food. Amazon has better selection, but will cost me more if I want to watch things that is not in the Prime member list. Help!


Chromecast is not similar to Hulu, Netflix, or Amazon Prime. It is more like the devices that support those services such as the smart TVs, Roku, and the similar electronics built into many DVD/BluRay players.

Cord cutters find that they can afford to subscribe to two or three of those services and still save money. You can also purchase a good digital TV antenna ($40-$60 for a really good one) to receive the on-air network channels in your area.

I too subscribe to DirecTV, and really like the 5 channel DVR that comes with the service. Several months ago I switched from Comcast cable (2 channel DVR), and would not go back. It's an ugly dish on my roof, but the service is much better. There is more bandwidth, so the hi-def tv is sharper, and more channels in hi-def is offered. (Of course, if you live in an area where the cable is fiber-optic, you also get the better hi-def.)

You may ask the reasonable question, "are 5 channels really necessary?" Yes and no. If you have a 2 channel recorder and try to record two shows in a row on one channel, and another show during that two hour slot on another channel, you will often find those annoying 1 minute overlaps, and will miss the first or last minute of one of the shows. Having a 5 channel recorder allows up to three recordings at the same time and covers for all the overlaps.



TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2014 19:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Restless wrote:
TonyEX wrote:
And... my issue with that is that Chromecast only works with 2.4Ghz.

So, now, there's a band in the middle of the house where I get interference with 2.4Ghz G and I'm also stuck with THREE different wireless networks.. ( well, that sort of helps with the bandwidth I guess).

The solution is to spend at least 700 bucks to get low end enterprise pure access points that can provide a single network and manage contention between themselves using the wired LAN....

You can set 2.4G network on different channels so no interference. And no need for enterprise AP - 30$ tp-link is good enough after putting dd-wrt firmware ;)



I already did that... separated the 2.4 Ghz channels as much as I could.

Besides... I installed more than 1600 feet of Cat5E in my house, with three GidE swiches running spanning tree, two files servers currently running 12TB of RAID5 and a single Ubuntu Apache server...

Every room has a drop. Smart TVs are wired. The only reason I do wireless (as access points) is for the smart phones and my son's iPhone 4 and Dell laptop which does not have 5.0GHz (made a mistake when I got that one from the Dell Outlet).

So, now I run two Chromecasts on 2.4Ghz.

I much prefer running a single networks with dedicated, load balancing access points... let's just say I'm an extreme outlier when it comes to small business - home office LANs.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2014 19:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR wrote:
I have never looked into Chromecast and won't right now either, but what does it offer?


OK.. since no one replied.

The Chromecast device is an HDMI dongle that attaches to the a suitable display and provides a means of connecting to the certain Internet content providers via an 801.11g (n) wireless connection.

I think it might be (n) capable too, but it can only connect via 2.4Ghz, it can not connect over the newer 5.0Ghz band.

The way it operates is... you install an chromecast application in your smart phone or tablet ( support Android and iPhone ).

Then you connect to the Device with your chromecast app. In my case we have two such devices so you get a menu to select which one you want.

Then you turn your TV to the HDMI input.

Now, in your phone/tablet ( computer too? ) you select some Chromecast enabled Internet connection ( YouTube for example ) where you will not notice a new icon to "cast" the stream. When you start to play some content, you can "cast" that stream, the stream app stops in your phone/tablet and then the Streamcast devices pickes it up and displays it in your TV/Display.

It works very well and allows a simple connection to the Internet for a few set of Chromecast enabled apps over your TV.

However, if you have a smart TV then it's a bit of overkill, with the main exception that it's easy to use and keeps you from having to learn the different "skins" that each smart TV in your home uses for accessing the same place ( ie: YouTube, Pandora, Netflix, etc...).

It does have limitations... specially if you have a PC already installed into your TV ( which is the best ) or if your TV has Internet access built in, but for the price it is a nice toy and we got it as Christmas Gifts.

From my POV, the worst thing is that it's wireless only! Which is a pain if you already have wired drops behind all possible TV locations in your house... )... except that it will be nice if I set up a small display outside to watch movies when I smoke cigars.

BTW, I got Android 4.3 in my Galaxy S3 and it has a nice feature to mirror your phone/tablet to an external display. That needs yet another HDMI dongle... but that provides more functionality since it allows you to run your browser, etc, etc.. and display it on the TV.

BTWII- all of these "cast" features are incorporating a neat peer to peer 802.11xx protocol to bypass the original intent of an access point providing access to a gateway into the Internet.

The Chromecast set up exposes this... as the Chromecast "casts" its own wireless net and the cast application in your phone/tablet uses the 802.11xx modem to find it and connect to it. It's a neat idea.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-16-2014 19:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Typos.. crucial typos..

In your phone/tablet, you execute the Chromecast app to connect to a Chromecast device. That runs in the background from now on. In essence it just made one more network connection.

Then later, in your phone/tablet, when you start playing some chromecast enabled application ( youTube, netflix ) you WILL NOTICE a NEW icon to CAST OFF the display from your phone/tablet to the Chromecast to which you connected earlier.

So, what happens then, is that the Chromecast device picks up your YouTube, netFlix, etc.. stream and then connects to the Internet via its wireless connection to the Access Point ( or integrated access point / router in most people's homes ).

So, the end result is that you cast off the multimedia display from your phone/tablet to the display/TV. We get 1080p display quality.

It works very well, it's really quite cheap in price -but not in quality-, provides internet connectivity to non smart (dumb?) TVs and stand alone monitors and overall it's a neat toy that works for the stream applications that are supported.

incubus
Profile for incubus
Re: .. Chromecast for $29.99 (Amazon)    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-19-2014 15:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I bought my wife a Chromecast for Christmas. We both love it. The 2 apps we use the most:
1. Netflix
2. YouTube

I like that the YouTube app allows you to set up a cue, I will use this for party playlists. Instead of music playing in the background, we will now have music videos.


 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
29 mobile: 0