[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
This 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec is wearing an exclusive new shade of blue
More.......................
2019 Pilot gets upgraded with standard LED headlights and "Telematics"
Sources: 2019 HR-V adds Sport trim, loses 6MT option
All-new 2019 Acura RDX Makes Road Debut as Official Vehicle of Rally Cycling Alongside NSX Supercar
Clarity Electric still available for $199/month lease, but down payment has increased $600
Driving impressions: Hondata's FlashPro for the FK8 Civic Type R
American Honda Reports April Sales Results
Honda reveals Everus EV Concept at Beijing International Auto Show
RDX --> Re: 2019 RDX pricing?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is a G1 NSX w/4AT worth the huge price break?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: The Fine Tradition of English Goalkeeping
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Important Message
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Indy 500
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Harley's Demise
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Questions regarding: lease, then buy option
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Monaco
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2018 Monaco Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla - facts behind the mirage
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura-when marketing went adrift
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 3rd Generation Acura RDX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda S660 Modulo X
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Mobileye claims their system detected the pedestrian, even with the crappy Uber video as input
Join Discussion......
Integra --> Re: 95 GSR DYNO
Join Discussion......
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX Advance
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery - 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec
Photo Gallery - Some other cars from 2019 NYIAS
TOV Video: 2019 Acura RDX Walk-around with LPL Steve Hansen
TOV Photo Gallery: 2018 North American International Auto Show
2018 Acura RLX PR Photo Gallery

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > New spy photos of 2015 Civic Type R on AutoExpress > > Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 09:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Cannot press on this matter more seriously... Is it still uses torsion beam?! The Fit EV got a proper multilink rear suspension, and I really hope that this is a mule.

No matter how powerful the engine is, the botch torsion beam is just going to limit the capability of this car. I tried my best to notice a suspension arm from the photo, but got no luck... The final picture gave me hope though.

But hey! Turbo confirmed! *swoosh*.

TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 10:16
I don't know why, but I thought the type-R would come when a new body style would be introduced...guess not.

But I agree, even with the newly improved Fit suspenders it would not be good enough...I feel someone who wanted this type of car would be ok sacrificing some rear cargo space for independent rear suspension (like the Fit EV owner)...

But who knows, maybe Honda would slip in some Civic Tourer adaptive rear suspenders...

King77
Profile for King77
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 10:39
Sometimes it could be difficult to combine a ride comfort and driving abilities with torsion beam suspension, but if you can concentrate solely on sports setup, there is no problem with TB.

Current sports cars have minimum body roll, so you cannot use the roll for wheel self steering and short suspension travel doesn´t require so wide range of optimal wheel position. Look at current best hot-hatch Renault Megane R.S. - excellent chassis and Nordschleife speed record holder - with TB setup. :-)

And on the other side - every independent suspension is combined with huge anti roll bar, so in fact, it is not an independent suspension anymore.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 10:44
TurkMan71 wrote:
I don't know why, but I thought the type-R would come when a new body style would be introduced...guess not.

But I agree, even with the newly improved Fit suspenders it would not be good enough...I feel someone who wanted this type of car would be ok sacrificing some rear cargo space for independent rear suspension (like the Fit EV owner)...

But who knows, maybe Honda would slip in some Civic Tourer adaptive rear suspenders...

Rolled was passing on information that it would be part of the next-gen Civic. Which is fine, but it would be odd to start off with a low-volume version.

Also, the bold exhausts look pretty production-ready and in no way improvised.

It would be possible to add P-AWS to the TB - Renault did similar with the Laguna coupe.

King77
Profile for King77
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 10:52
Yeah, but P-AWS works with independent suspension, I am not sure Honda will develop it also for TB like Renault has only because of CTR. So - if CTR will have a DW/Multilink, there is a possibility of P-AWS. If it will have TB, no way.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 11:27
King77 wrote:
Sometimes it could be difficult to combine a ride comfort and driving abilities with torsion beam suspension, but if you can concentrate solely on sports setup, there is no problem with TB.

Current sports cars have minimum body roll, so you cannot use the roll for wheel self steering and short suspension travel doesn´t require so wide range of optimal wheel position. Look at current best hot-hatch Renault Megane R.S. - excellent chassis and Nordschleife speed record holder - with TB setup. :-)

And on the other side - every independent suspension is combined with huge anti roll bar, so in fact, it is not an independent suspension anymore.

I'm no way an expert in suspension, so do correct my assumption of TB and anti roll bar... Torsion beam is a rigid body, and a multilink suspension with anti roll bar still allows some flexing during high speed cornering. While cornering, a TB setup would break the g load from the outside wheels to the inside and reduce the tires contact patch hence reduced traction. A multilink suspension still allows for weight to be transferred to the outside cornering rear wheels (three wheeling in the extreme case) and provide good contact patch for the tires.

I think the EP3 Vs FN2 topgear comparison proved a good point.

King77
Profile for King77
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 12:09
You are right, of course, I mentioned a really small difference between this two setups. You can clearly see the potential of TB of Megane RS.

There was plenty of comparsions between FD2 & FN2, but JDM CTR and Euro CTR was uncomparable cars and, in fact, 8G Euro Civic chassis was´t good at all. Torsen LSD on CTR Championship Edition makes significant improvement, but i think still doesn´t show full potential of TB made by Honda. If you see a step forward between Euro Civic 8G and 9G, I am not afraid of CTR 9G with TB setup.

bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 16:34
Rolled was passing on information that it would be part of the next-gen Civic. Which is fine, but it would be odd to start off with a low-volume version.
I think that was one of his speculative "what if ..." moments.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 18:53
King77 wrote:
Yeah, but P-AWS works with independent suspension, I am not sure Honda will develop it also for TB like Renault has only because of CTR. So - if CTR will have a DW/Multilink, there is a possibility of P-AWS. If it will have TB, no way.

One might hope so.

But it's nevertheless fairly straightforward in theory to mount some kingpins and (compact) P-AWS actuators onto the ends of a TB. It's very inelegant, and replacing multilink toe arms with actuators would be my preferred choice.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 19:16
To keep it in the price range HondaUK whats to sell it at,I don't think we will see a multi-link rear suspension.

They what to sell it at $25,000 Pounds base.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 19:22
Well, it will probably be unbearable on the UK's roads if it's fast around the 'Ring.

Part of the reason I no longer understand such cars.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2013 01:12
Nick GravesX wrote:
Well, it will probably be unbearable on the UK's roads if it's fast around the 'Ring.

The ring time is a redeeming quality if I put the term correctly. Honda has been a mockery among the Euro hot hatch elites, and it's high time they display what engineering is, chronic back pain inducing or not.

Or, it's the active damper job to smooth out the ride (a bit) on the back roads... But seriously, how bad is UK's roads? Everywhere I read UK road this, UK road that, in the end it all means bad terrain or something. I've never been there, but the only "bad" roads I see from various source materials are stone pavements in residential area and that's it. The back country roads where the media test the cars seems okay to me, it even has more interesting turns.

P.S. I've tried very hard to discern a multilink suspension from the youtube video, but I don't think this car use it. Oh well, as long it can deliver its ring time promise, I'm going to shut my mouth.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Test mule or pre production (egad! Still torsion beam)? [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-14-2013 05:40
Midi_Amp wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

The ring time is a redeeming quality if I put the term correctly. Honda has been a mockery among the Euro hot hatch elites, and it's high time they display what engineering is, chronic back pain inducing or not.

Or, it's the active damper job to smooth out the ride (a bit) on the back roads... But seriously, how bad is UK's roads? Everywhere I read UK road this, UK road that, in the end it all means bad terrain or something. I've never been there, but the only "bad" roads I see from various source materials are stone pavements in residential area and that's it. The back country roads where the media test the cars seems okay to me, it even has more interesting turns.

P.S. I've tried very hard to discern a multilink suspension from the youtube video, but I don't think this car use it. Oh well, as long it can deliver its ring time promise, I'm going to shut my mouth.

We have the densest population (double entendre intended) in EU and the least invested into the road network per capita.

There is a reason mfrs test here - or build replicas of the yUK's roads in their own facilities. There is a lot of variance in surfacing materials, which results in horrendous tyre noise, bump-thump, etc.

Local gov't money gets spent on patching instead of proper re-surfacing. There has to be some sort of back-hander situation going on, because eny fule no it's a waste of money and is not logical. But our gov't has always hated cars, since we made a man with a flag walk in front of them.

But wasting taxpayers' money is what every gov't does. Ours just does it better than most.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0