[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2020 Accords already appearing in dealer order system
More.......................
Is Acura going to reveal a new Legend at Pebble Beach this year?
More.......................
Honda reports February Sales
More.......................
Honda revealing production RWD prototype of Urban EV Concept at the Geneva International Motorshow
More.......................
BBC: Honda set to close Swindon factory in 2022
More.......................
Nikkei: Honda enters agreement with CATL for battery supply contract through 2027
More.......................
Acura Marks 30 Years Since Debut of Iconic NSX Supercar
More.......................
American Honda reports January sales
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Honda in talks about pulling Acura out of China
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: The glory days
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: How Acura orchestrated a massive turnaround with a renewed focus on design
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: Toronto Motorsports Park - 10th Gen Civic Si Track day
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda/Acura Gossip
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda / Acura Shakeup?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Colton Herta Becomes Youngest Indycar Winner Ever
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Lamborghini Urus
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Acura shake-up caused by logistics
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: JDM Odyssey Type R
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2020 Sonata
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: I chose the Si over the GTI
Join Discussion......
Odyssey --> Re: Shy away from ‘05-‘10 VCM Odysseys or NBD?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: European HRV with 1.5 L VTEC Turbo engine coming Spring 2019
Join Discussion......
Service Experiences --> Re: BEWARE OF HILLSIDE HONDA
Join Discussion......
2019 Honda Passport PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
2019 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Acura ILX
Read Article....................
2019 Acura ILX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2019 Honda Pilot
Read Article....................
2019 Honda Pilot PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 08:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

DevilMayCry
Profile for DevilMayCry
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 10:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
C'mon dude, don't sit on the hood, lol! I fucking hate when people do that shit!

That's the #1 reason why I'll never own a sedan in NYC!

/rant.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 12:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ugh, the fact that every review is going to mention the word "Civic" as much as this one... that's a hit to Acura right there, IMO. They start and end the review with "Civic." Not great for the luxury brand image.

Secondly, sounds like the "2.4 will have a better suspension than the Si" folks were dead wrong. If every model shares the same suspension settings, there goes that idea. There's no way the standard volume-seller 2.0 will have an overly sporty suspension, so what will that say for the front-heavier 2.4? No GSR-equivalent Si-killer, that's for sure.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 13:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Potenza wrote:
Ugh, the fact that every review is going to mention the word "Civic" as much as this one... that's a hit to Acura right there, IMO. They start and end the review with "Civic." Not great for the luxury brand image.

Secondly, sounds like the "2.4 will have a better suspension than the Si" folks were dead wrong. If every model shares the same suspension settings, there goes that idea. There's no way the standard volume-seller 2.0 will have an overly sporty suspension, so what will that say for the front-heavier 2.4? No GSR-equivalent Si-killer, that's for sure.


The Civic mention is expected, and I'm dying to know how the car differentiates itself from the lesser sibling. It's a good point to bring up anyway, everybody knows this car is based on the Civic chassis, so why hide it? If people are convinced this is not CSX 2.0 it will sell.

AzNMaVbOi
Profile for AzNMaVbOi
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 13:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Wait, I thought Jeff posted in his article about ILX pricing that all driving impressions of the ILX are embargoed until April 20. Isn't this guy going to catch a lot of flak for posting a "First Drive" review before the embargo is lifted?
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 13:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
sounds loud in the cabin. I guess the buick wins in the luxury component. But the Acura probably more fun to drive.
danielavg1991
Profile for danielavg1991
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 14:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
looks stunning in that color... !
danielavg1991
Profile for danielavg1991
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 14:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just noticed he said Acura said it would get 35 mpg on the highway... i thought the number was 32?
ru4real
Profile for ru4real
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 15:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That was a nice engine growl in there, and the guy actually laughed, like he was having a great time, imagine that! If he thinks it drives and rides like a baby Benz, it must be pretty good, right?
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 16:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hey does the 2.4L come with a LSD? I don't recall seeing it mentioned which usually isn't a good thing. Given the suspension tuning, I'm betting it's gonna be MIA.
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 16:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You'd be right! Join the pile-on:

http://vtec.net/forums/one-message?message_id=1048386&news_item_id=1048046

Ryan

typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 16:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Unbelieveable!!! Almost speechless at this glaring omission! Honda is on a coup to make me buy something other than a Honda or Acura for my next car!

Powertrain used to be the reason why you bought a Honda/Acura (great engines, class leading power, wonderful gearboxes), now nothing really innovative or class leading, certainly nothing like the days when a GS-R was about as fast as Mustang GT (mid 90's).

I guess the original Acura mantra of 'Precision crafted performance' is gone, long gone now. Sad.

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 18:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Just walked in the door after spending 8.5 hours with a black 2.4 6MT. Pretty great!

While there is an embargo on DRIVING impressions we are able to post design and touchpoint opinions, along with photos and video. Jeff just got on his plane so it may be a day or so as we both have some immediate duties of our own to dispatch.

For now I'll say it was a positive experience with the 2.4 and a crystal white RDX AWD.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 19:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ok, let me see if I have this right. The guy in the YouTube video says he is not allowed to talk about how it drives,

BUT

He then goes on to say the vehicle feels "buttoned down" and compared it to BMW. To anyone who pays attention to cars, the implication is obvious: The ILX corners fairly flatly, but still has great ride quality. LOL.

Neal wrote:
Just walked in the door after spending 8.5 hours with a black 2.4 6MT. Pretty great!
...

For now I'll say it was a positive experience with the 2.4 and a crystal white RDX AWD.


Thanks! I'm actually happy just knowing that Acura FINALLY delivered more vehicles that got good responses from people. It's been way too long since the last time (probably since the '07 MDX, with a little bit of encouragement via the TSX Wagon). I'm patient enough to wait for the details.

Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 20:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Ok, let me see if I have this right. The guy in the YouTube video says he is not allowed to talk about how it drives,

BUT

He then goes on to say the vehicle feels "buttoned down" and compared it to BMW. To anyone who pays attention to cars, the implication is obvious: The ILX corners fairly flatly, but still has great ride quality. LOL.

Neal wrote:
Just walked in the door after spending 8.5 hours with a black 2.4 6MT. Pretty great!
...

For now I'll say it was a positive experience with the 2.4 and a crystal white RDX AWD.


Thanks! I'm actually happy just knowing that Acura FINALLY delivered more vehicles that got good responses from people. It's been way too long since the last time (probably since the '07 MDX, with a little bit of encouragement via the TSX Wagon). I'm patient enough to wait for the details.



This doesn't surprise me, specially when he noted the cars have the same suspension.
The TSX/Euro Accord in R20 or K24 versions get the same too. We all know how well the TSX drives.
Also he mentioned the A3 and the ct200 so if ILX is in between it sounds like a nice drive.

atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 20:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
danielavg1991 wrote:
Just noticed he said Acura said it would get 35 mpg on the highway... i thought the number was 32?


Acura revised the EPA #'s. They are higher than before.

24/35/28 for the 2.0L
22/31/35 for the 2.4L
39/38/38 for the Hybrid

They probably hadn't finished the ECU firmware when the original specs were put up. My guess is that they lowballed the initial figures to be safe, although I think they should never have posted figures until they were sure. What they originally posted made the drivetrains look pretty miserable.

http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#6


Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 20:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
atomiclightbulb wrote:
danielavg1991 wrote:
Just noticed he said Acura said it would get 35 mpg on the highway... i thought the number was 32?
Acura revised the EPA #'s. They are higher than before.

24/35/28 for the 2.0L
22/31/35 for the 2.4L
39/38/38 for the Hybrid

They probably hadn't finished the ECU firmware when the original specs were put up. My guess is that they lowballed the initial figures to be safe, although I think they should never have posted figures until they were sure. What they originally posted made the drivetrains look pretty miserable.

http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#6


Strange that they would post such lower numbers initially. I'll post the old numbers just for reference:

Originally announced:

24/32 for the 2.0L
20/29 for the 2.4L
35/38 for the Hybrid

The Hybrid gained 4mpg city in a month and a half...

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 23:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

These are definetely respectable numbers.
ILX started to appear more appealing.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 03:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

The person in the video says, "it almost feels like a baby BMW".... wow seriously that's a BIG compliment.

I don't think he would say that unless it really has great handling and an excellent steering feel.

Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 07:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
auto_enthu wrote:

The person in the video says, "it almost feels like a baby BMW".... wow seriously that's a BIG compliment.

I don't think he would say that unless it really has great handling and an excellent steering feel.


I noticed that too... I wonder if the baby BMW comment is aimed at the interior or the driving experience. I think he said "it feels like baby BMW"... Dunno, I'm driving, so I can't watch the video again.

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 15:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Midi_Amp wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

The person in the video says, "it almost feels like a baby BMW".... wow seriously that's a BIG compliment.

I don't think he would say that unless it really has great handling and an excellent steering feel.


I noticed that too... I wonder if the baby BMW comment is aimed at the interior or the driving experience. I think he said "it feels like baby BMW"... Dunno, I'm driving, so I can't watch the video again.




Since BMW is never known for its interior, I don't think he was referring to interior when he referred to "baby BMW". I think he is most likely referring to handling and/or steering feel .... atleast hoping so.




typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 16:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Probably trying to low-ball so they won't get sued again by some witch-hunting hybrid owner seeking tens of thousands of dollars 'damage' for getting the mileage the EPA sticker indicated.

atomiclightbulb wrote:
danielavg1991 wrote:
Just noticed he said Acura said it would get 35 mpg on the highway... i thought the number was 32?


Acura revised the EPA #'s. They are higher than before.

24/35/28 for the 2.0L
22/31/35 for the 2.4L
39/38/38 for the Hybrid

They probably hadn't finished the ECU firmware when the original specs were put up. My guess is that they lowballed the initial figures to be safe, although I think they should never have posted figures until they were sure. What they originally posted made the drivetrains look pretty miserable.

http://www.acura.com/future/ILX#6




Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 17:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
auto_enthu wrote:
Midi_Amp wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

The person in the video says, "it almost feels like a baby BMW".... wow seriously that's a BIG compliment.

I don't think he would say that unless it really has great handling and an excellent steering feel.


I noticed that too... I wonder if the baby BMW comment is aimed at the interior or the driving experience. I think he said "it feels like baby BMW"... Dunno, I'm driving, so I can't watch the video again.




Since BMW is never known for its interior, I don't think he was referring to interior when he referred to "baby BMW". I think he is most likely referring to handling and/or steering feel .... atleast hoping so.





Absolutely!

JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2012 21:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I walked around a new RDX in white at my local Acura dealer. They had it there to teach the sales people about it. I'd say the design is perfect. Grill is acceptable in the power plenum world we live in. Still waiting for the post-power plenum world though.

If anyone's shopping a CR-V and has extra cash. Go check out the RDX. It should be worth the extra cost.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 07:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
AutoGuide
So why buy the ILX 2.4L? There is one reason, but it doesn’t exist yet.

Acura will reportedly move the TSX further up-market and based on the brand’s new strategy (as we’ve seen with the 2013 RDX) is all-but certain to mix more water into the proverbial orange drink. By comparison to that car, the ILX will then look like a good sporting option. And cars like the current TSX will be relegated to the Honda museum – a place that, not coincidentally, also seems to be where Honda now keeps its soul.

Until your options are limited to the car dealership equivalent of Sophie’s Choice, the ILX 2.4-liter is a car that’s worse than redundant, it’s irrelevant.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 08:03
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well, at least Acura did a good job with the new RDX!
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 08:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
AutoGuide
While many have left the compact premium segment in recent years, with the demise of cars like the Volvo S40, much of what is left or has been introduced is limited to niche segments; being hatchbacks, hybrids or rear-drive coupes. That said, Acura has a huge opportunity to make premium compacts a mainstream category.

The Buick Verano is now competing in the same space, but Acura has an advantage thanks to its history in the segment and a brand image that doesn’t scare younger buyers. Notably more expensive than the Verano, sitting in the ILX will convince you it’s worth it.

2013 Acura ILX 2.0L Rear Right

A well-rounded car, the ILX offers luxury for less and is certain to also deliver brand qualities like reliability and durability. What is lacking, however, is a more engaging driving experience, once a hallmark of Acura vehicles.

The car’s strongest feature, and the one that will get consumers into Acura dealerships is something luxury buyers crave – choice. Along with the attraction of driving luxury for under $30K, unlike any of its rivals the ILX offers the ability to pick a conventional gasoline option, a performance version and a hybrid all in a sensible and stylish 4-door package.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 08:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Edmunds 1st Drive
Probably the most impressive thing about the 2013 Acura ILX is how it rides. Mind you, we're only speaking for Arizona highways, which seem to get more love from the state coffers than our California roads. But there's a new level of compliance here, and it doesn't come at the expense of control over bumps and ruts. It's also a quiet ride, as the ILX has all sorts of noise-reduction measures not found on the Civic, including laminated glass and active noise cancellation (via the audio system).

rev2damoon
Profile for rev2damoon
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 09:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
...."the ILX offers the ability to pick a conventional gasoline option, a performance version and a hybrid all in a sensible and stylish 4-door package."


What performance version of the ILX are they referring to? The 2.4? LOL. Riiiiiight.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 1st Generation ILX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 09:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
rev2damoon wrote:
...."the ILX offers the ability to pick a conventional gasoline option, a performance version and a hybrid all in a sensible and stylish 4-door package."


What performance version of the ILX are they referring to? The 2.4? LOL. Riiiiiight.



Yes, the 2.4 ILX is a performance version. You can get it in a 6 speed, and it does have significantly more performance than the other two models. It may not have the pace of some BMWs or whatever, but Honda can call it a performance model if they wish. So it doesn't meet your criteria for a performance model? Fine, point noted, now move on - nothing of interest for you to see here :)


 
Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2018 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
30 mobile: 0