[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX Launch Package
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura 2016 and Beyond...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: "Game-Changing TLX"
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: What does having a VIN # mean?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 Honda PU hints
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!! NSXPO 2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Pursuit of Arete
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Hope everything works out. Very nervous.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Will the 2016 Civic be bigger?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Auto Show Season just started.
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2011 13:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/03/14/consumer-reports-picks-best-used-cars-for-teens-w-video/

MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2011 18:52
Thank you TSX69.

Surprising that there are no Hondas or Subarus.

Is that because they hold their value better and so are more expensive?

Both are strong on safety, reliability, quality.

We recently bought our 17 year old son a used car. It had to have electronic stability control. Honda Civics held value well. So did Subaru. We chose the Subaru because of 4-wheel drive.

Subarus do well in crash test ratings. Hondas even better. We went for avoiding crashes as well—4WD.

Malcolm

:)
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2011 19:01
No civic, accord, or crv? hmm
Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2011 21:32

TSX? For a teenager? LOL.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2011 09:37
aznxthuggie wrote:

Or Fit??

I think that's easily the best car for teenagers.
PGH
Profile for PGH
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2011 09:59
MalcolmR wrote:
Thank you TSX69.

Surprising that there are no Hondas or Subarus.

Is that because they hold their value better and so are more expensive?

Both are strong on safety, reliability, quality.

We recently bought our 17 year old son a used car. It had to have electronic stability control. Honda Civics held value well. So did Subaru. We chose the Subaru because of 4-wheel drive.

Subarus do well in crash test ratings. Hondas even better. We went for avoiding crashes as well—4WD.

Malcolm

I first bought my son a 98 Civic to start out with when he was 16. Just a back and forth to school car. When he turned 18 I ended up getting him a 10 Impreza. Great kid car and since I live in Colorado and he likes to ski it made sense. We looked at the LX Civic sedan, but with drum rear brakes, no VSA and visibilty issues up front we went with the Subie plus I eneded getting a base hatch auto for around 17k.

Your statement about Hondas being safer than Subarus is IMHO incorrect. While both score high Subaru has always been the better overall choice
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2011 12:15
Potenza wrote:
aznxthuggie wrote:

Or Fit??

I think that's easily the best car for teenagers.

That too!
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2011 06:32
Hi PGH:

Thank you for your comment.

In addition to buying an Impreza for our son, two weeks later we bought a near new Subaru Forester (5,000 miles) for my wife and I as our main family errand runabout.

I prefer buying used cars or demo's. Let someone else enjoy the depreciation of driving it out of the showroom.

Here's why Forester: constant 4WD and it has increased interior space compared with the lower previous model.

Back in 2003 we narrowed our choice down to Forester vs CRV. The Forester impressed in cornering. The CRV in interior space, refinement, finish, acceleration, ride, economy, driving position height.

Three years later we added an LR3 (Discovery). This despite my previous experience with Range Rover unreliability after which I swore I'd never buy another LR product. To complete our comparison we tried a turbo-diesel V-6. We were very impressed. Bought one as we could see that thanks to BMW and then Ford, LR had been turned around. The attention to detail in the design was impressive—approaching Honda and Mercedes. We have been delighted with LR3. A fabulous road car and amazing in rough conditions. Tows our horse trailer, boat easily. Very comfortable, especially on long distance.

With the LR3 we no longer need the larger carrying capacity in our runabout. When it was time to sell our CRV we replaced it with the Forester because my wife remembered the cornering of constant all-wheel drive (4WD).

Verdict to date on Forester: cornering is more sure-footed than CRV. Fuel economy is noticeably lower than CRV despite the CRV being old and technology improving in the 9 years since that model's release. Lower driving outlook than CRV. Lower quality he CRV. Less refined than CRV. Despite kids and dogs and little care, the CRV interior stood up amazingly. After a detailed cleaning before handing it to my father, the old CRV interior looked like new.

The Forester has constant 4WD. Like the CRV it is well engineered. Apart from that the old CRV is a better car. New CRV would be at least on par with Forester for crash safety—likely better. But who really knows.

Our son's Impreza is a nice car to drive. A little gutless compared with Civic. Both are well engineered. From what I've seen and heard, the Civic wins in refinement and quality.

Both are sound cars. I trust either with my son's safety.

My wife and I like the constant 4WD and want it for our son's safety. Constant 4WD impressive with the LR3 too.

Malcolm

VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2011 09:19
PGH wrote:

I first bought my son a 98 Civic to start out with when he was 16. Just a back and forth to school car. When he turned 18 I ended up getting him a 10 Impreza. Great kid car and since I live in Colorado and he likes to ski it made sense. We looked at the LX Civic sedan, but with drum rear brakes, no VSA and visibilty issues up front we went with the Subie plus I eneded getting a base hatch auto for around 17k.

Your statement about Hondas being safer than Subarus is IMHO incorrect. While both score high Subaru has always been the better overall choice

I'll save my thoughts on VSA being a must have, visibility is certainly important, but what was the big deal with drum brakes?
PGH
Profile for PGH
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2011 16:41
VTEC_Inside wrote:
PGH wrote:

I'll save my thoughts on VSA being a must have, visibility is certainly important, but what was the big deal with drum brakes?

Nothing really when it comes down to it, if fact the are cheaper to replace and last longer. I guess my point was VSA,disc all four wheels and AWD with 170hp was the same price as the Civic without VSA rear disc or AWD. I do sacrfice the MPG numbers
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Consumer Reports: Best Used Cars for Teens    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2011 12:43
My parents bought my sister a used Civic to drive to school as her first car (Two years ago). She is now looking into getting a used 8th Gen Civic, Scion TC, RSX, or First gen TSX.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0