[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
General Talk --> Re: 10-15 year old Honda or Acura?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660/1000 good news rumors from Japan
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Racing NSX (silhouette) info.
Join Discussion......
Meets and Events --> Re: EAST COAST HONDA MEET IN JERSEY! 3-29-09
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Infiniti Vision GT Concept .... designed in Beijing
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews - Motor Trend 3.5 SH-AWD First Test
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
HONDAPOWA!!
Profile for HONDAPOWA!!
TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 13:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I have a 2009 TSX and am worried that this has the same 3rd gear problems which plagued the RSX, TL, Accords, etc. During a hard acceleration when I shift into third gear I hear a grinding sound and then the stick pops out into neutral. The first couple of times it happened I thought it was my fault and I was getting off the clutch too early but I've been careful and still noticed this problem. Moreover, this happens consistently for third gear (all other upshifts are fine, and I never have problems with downshifts). Has anyone had this problem with the TSX? I'm taking it into the dealership next week, but I'm just worried about being able to reproduce the problem.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 14:12
This is common among all honda 6mt but to fix it just drive slowly not aggressively. Your car was not made to go fast.
CrystalFiveMT
Profile for CrystalFiveMT
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 14:38
Someone here stated to me that this 3rd gear pathology has been solved for all the latest Hondas. All evidence to the contrary.

For the 2 Hondas I've had with this problem, aggressive driving had absolutely nothing to do with it acting up. It came up when downshifting from 4th to 3rd, whether rev matching or not.
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 15:23
Powered by Honda wrote:
This is common among all honda 6mt but to fix it just drive slowly not aggressively. Your car was not made to go fast.

Powered by bull----, get up real close to the monitor, it's time for your daily delousing!!!

HONDAPOWA!!
Profile for HONDAPOWA!!
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 16:12
Thanks for all the advice guys. Any suggestions on how I should approach the dealer with this? I'm sure they're going to try to deny it is a problem with the car and try to put the blame on me. I'm just worried about not being able to reproduce the problem when I take it in. I've also read elsewhere that using GM Syncromesh could be a fix. Any experience with this?
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 17:08
I've had this issue with my car for years. It gets worse as the weather gets colder. The dealer gives me the typical "We cannot reproduce the problem, situation, error, etc."
mlody
Profile for mlody
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 17:41
I had 2 TL - 04 and 06 - both 6MT and both had this problem. About a year or so ago, Honda issued TSB to address the 3rd gear grind/pop out issue.
After I learnt about, I was very quick to speak with the dealer and had the issue addressed on my 06 TL- for about 6 months unfortunatelly. Now, my car is past the warranty and the issue is back, and like you said, it is more pronouced in the cold weather.

My friend with Civic Si has exactly same problem, but he does not want to even bother to get the TSB for 3rd gear, as it appears to be worthless.

The other issue kind of related to the whole thing is a very stiff clutch when you WOT your car - I also have this problem and I yet have to find any TSB about it.

It is really depressing that this issue still continues so many years after it was first discovered. Not only Honda limits the 6MT availability by model, but when they do it, they do it half-ass unfortunately, leaving nothing to the enthusiasts but the bad taste.
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 18:04
Evidently, it does not affect all 6 speeds. My '06 Si has not ever jumped out of 3rd gear in 5 years.
stpierrewm
Profile for stpierrewm
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 19:55
Powered by Honda,
Your acerbic, sarcastic comments present humor to no one other than yourself. Instead of abhorrently posting inappropriate, sardonic commentary, you should do one of the following:

Invest your time in creating an account on http://www.hyundaiforum.com/forum/, (If you have not already done so)

-or-

More wisely, refrain from frittering away your time on the internet and find a job

Either way, I believe I speak for others when I claim that, "nobody wants you hear, just leave."

Excuse me for consuming space on this thread, but I could not resist the opportunity with which Powered by Honda presented me.

Good luck with your transmission!
stpierrewm
Profile for stpierrewm
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-06-2010 19:58
That should say "here", not "hear". oops...
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 06:21
....after almost 25,000 miles, the GMSFM which replaced the OEM fluid in my 6M still has not allowed a trace of the difficult 3rd gear shift......................

Honest, consider the GM goo (works for me)
ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 09:10

.........perhaps there's a confusion factor (after all, his is an automatic transmission)

ez....
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 09:45
For what it's worth change the fluid. My 6MT Accord sedan has this very issue. As soon as I changed the fluid it eased up. In my eyes this is a big safety issue. I have had times when I pull into traffic and absolutely have to man handle it to get into third gear (which causes me to stop accelerating while cars are closing). Anyways get the fuid changed. $45-50 and you should be on your way.
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 13:02
ezshift5 wrote:

.........perhaps there's a confusion factor (after all, his is an automatic transmission)

ez....

Why do you say that?
HONDAPOWA!!
Profile for HONDAPOWA!!
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 19:17
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I probably will end up getting the GM Syncromesh stuff and hope it works. I'm still going to take it into the dealership, since, as a matter of principle, Acura/Honda should fix this, I should not have to do anything myself. But given the difficulty of reproducing this, the dealer may not be of much help. It really is annoying having this problem, and aside from the safety issue, it makes me look like an idiot poser that can't drive stick properly.
Sasker
Profile for Sasker
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-07-2010 21:52
HONDAPOWA!! wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I probably will end up getting the GM Syncromesh stuff and hope it works. I'm still going to take it into the dealership, since, as a matter of principle, Acura/Honda should fix this, I should not have to do anything myself. But given the difficulty of reproducing this, the dealer may not be of much help. It really is annoying having this problem, and aside from the safety issue, it makes me look like an idiot poser that can't drive stick properly.

Honda should get their act together. This apparently persistent problem with transmissions will (already has?) hurt their reputation as far as reliability is concerned.

ezshift5
Profile for ezshift5
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2010 07:48
HONDAPOWA!! wrote:
[Thanks for all the helpful advice guys. I probably will end up getting the GM Syncromesh stuff and hope it works. .

Actually, GM makes at least two SynchroMesh products. The goo that I use is GM SynchroMesh Friction Modified......................

Best Wishes for smoother shifting

ez sends
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2010 11:13
The friction modified GM fluid is the more difficult one to find, but it's worth the effort. Positive results reported by B, K, & J-series Manual Transmission owners.
mreggball
Profile for mreggball
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-15-2010 15:12
I had this issue on my 2007 Civic Si and had the gearbox rebuilt under warranty. They had to replace the 3rd gear synchro. I no longer have the car, just turned it back in after a lease, but it never had the problem after the synchro was replaced. Problem was worse in cold weather, didn't matter if I was driving it hard or not. I had to push the dealer to fix it, and they finally did after speaking with Honda corporate. It probably helped that the car was leased and they were getting it back after a few years. If it owned it, they would have had less interest in fixing it.
cantilo
Profile for cantilo
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2011 18:46
Same exact thing occurred to my 06 Si.
Second and third gears and synchros were replaced on mine.
I have to say - as much as I loved my Si, it had several mechanical defects.

Gearing thing mentioned above
Rack'n pinion pop sound - it took 5 visits to get it fixed
Rear wheel bearing
A/C hose
Oil burning (yeah, seriously)
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2011 19:09
cantilo wrote:

Rear wheel bearing
A/C hose

I guess you never know what you will get. My '06 Si at 40K Miles.
0 problems to date. About 3000 miles per quart.
cantilo
Profile for cantilo
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-20-2011 22:02
superchg wrote:
cantilo wrote:

Rear wheel bearing
A/C hose

I guess you never know what you will get. My '06 Si at 40K Miles.
0 problems to date. About 3000 miles per quart.

Good for you man. Seriously... njoy ur Si
HappaSaiyan
Profile for HappaSaiyan
Re: TSX 3rd Gear Grinding + Popping out problems?    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-21-2011 14:13
HONDAPOWA!! wrote:
I have a 2009 TSX and am worried that this has the same 3rd gear problems which plagued the RSX, TL, Accords, etc. During a hard acceleration when I shift into third gear I hear a grinding sound and then the stick pops out into neutral. The first couple of times it happened I thought it was my fault and I was getting off the clutch too early but I've been careful and still noticed this problem. Moreover, this happens consistently for third gear (all other upshifts are fine, and I never have problems with downshifts). Has anyone had this problem with the TSX? I'm taking it into the dealership next week, but I'm just worried about being able to reproduce the problem.

had this prob on my 05 rsx-s...and have it now on my 07 tl-s.

ironically, i experience the problem a lot more when i am driving conservatively. when i am driving harder/more aggressive, i never experience it.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0