[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews - TOV Tweet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Optimizing Fuel Economy > > Re: Ran out of gas

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2008 17:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well 33.80 to be exact. That's 419.6 miles using 12.415 Gallons of Speedways Premium. I filled up this time with Shell Power V premium after hearing good things about it, along with 1 ounce of FP60+ gasoline additive.
I didn't quite make my goal of 35MPG because I was running late for work a lot and got into the high RPMS including 8000 RPM once, as VTEC never used is VTEC abused I say.
My upgrades for this tank were Denso Power Iridium u-groove Plugs 4mm, Amsoil Synthetic oil/EA filter change 1-oz lcd 20 oil additive, 1 oz fp60+ gasoline additive.
I did not make my goal because I relied to much on the upgrades and drove with windows down mostly, no air conditioner use.

My last tank before was 31.67 MPG, that's 381 miles using 12.029 gallons, 95% city 5% Freeway.
My upgrades for that tank was an air filter change during the end of the tank, approx. 41F, 40R tire pressure and using my cycling skills to split/short/shift and drive (pedal coast method) the car for better mileage, I drove this tank more efficiently than any other, no air conditioner use windows up as it was mostly cool.

My goal for my current full tank is again 35MPG+ 100% city, absolutely no highway.
I will use some methods I am experimenting with for hill ascent, cornering, split shifting, extended coasting, recognizing and taking advantage of the wind better timing of red lights, reading traffic conditions ahead and behind better and taking better advantage of them, along with less short trips and less rush hour trips.

I call these methods "Common Sense Driving" as I never disrespect or hold up other drivers, I travel slightly above the speed limit, usually about 5-10mph, even more if traffic deems it necessary, less if there is little or no traffic. I will also leave earlier for work this time around, something I hate doing and try to stay under 4200 RPMs with this current tank of Shell V Power if possible.

I have chosen not to use a scanguage until I have reached my goals without it, then when I do purchase one I will know my car enough to know when the scan gauge should and should not be followed.
45MPG highway will be my next goal, following the 35MPG city one, as I then have two freeway trips coming up. This goal might not even be possible because of the high 2800-3400RPM that the SI turns at 65-85 MPH, but I can try, I think the city goal is for easier.
I will then reward myself by trying to get the lowest MPG I can get.
One question for scanguage users: What constant speed gave you the best freeway mileage and did you use cruise control, LOD, or another method to maintain that constant speed.
Wish me luck.
garoto628
Profile for garoto628
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2008 21:18
accord1989 wrote:
Well 33.80 to be exact. That's 419.6 miles using 12.415 Gallons of Speedways Premium. I filled up this time with Shell Power V premium after hearing good things about it, along with 1 ounce of FP60+ gasoline additive.
I didn't quite make my goal of 35MPG because I was running late for work a lot and got into the high RPMS including 8000 RPM once, as VTEC never used is VTEC abused I say.
My upgrades for this tank were Denso Power Iridium u-groove Plugs 4mm, Amsoil Synthetic oil/EA filter change 1-oz lcd 20 oil additive, 1 oz fp60+ gasoline additive.
I did not make my goal because I relied to much on the upgrades and drove with windows down mostly, no air conditioner use.

My last tank before was 31.67 MPG, that's 381 miles using 12.029 gallons, 95% city 5% Freeway.
My upgrades for that tank was an air filter change during the end of the tank, approx. 41F, 40R tire pressure and using my cycling skills to split/short/shift and drive (pedal coast method) the car for better mileage, I drove this tank more efficiently than any other, no air conditioner use windows up as it was mostly cool.

My goal for my current full tank is again 35MPG+ 100% city, absolutely no highway.
I will use some methods I am experimenting with for hill ascent, cornering, split shifting, extended coasting, recognizing and taking advantage of the wind better timing of red lights, reading traffic conditions ahead and behind better and taking better advantage of them, along with less short trips and less rush hour trips.

I call these methods "Common Sense Driving" as I never disrespect or hold up other drivers, I travel slightly above the speed limit, usually about 5-10mph, even more if traffic deems it necessary, less if there is little or no traffic. I will also leave earlier for work this time around, something I hate doing and try to stay under 4200 RPMs with this current tank of Shell V Power if possible.

I have chosen not to use a scanguage until I have reached my goals without it, then when I do purchase one I will know my car enough to know when the scan gauge should and should not be followed.
45MPG highway will be my next goal, following the 35MPG city one, as I then have two freeway trips coming up. This goal might not even be possible because of the high 2800-3400RPM that the SI turns at 65-85 MPH, but I can try, I think the city goal is for easier.
I will then reward myself by trying to get the lowest MPG I can get.
One question for scanguage users: What constant speed gave you the best freeway mileage and did you use cruise control, LOD, or another method to maintain that constant speed.
Wish me luck.

I don't have scangauge - but the best I made was 38mpg all freeway driving from san francisco to Los angeles, down the 101 south, One shot only, started from 0mph, accelerated to 65mph (after I got the the freeway ofcourse), set the cruise control, all the way like this until I hit the gas station in Los Angeles. I think its not possible to get any higher than 40mpg (that's if a higher speed is able to produce better mileage, which is possible). I think 70mph in one shot can get you to 40mpg, but that's about it. Its tough.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2008 22:09
yea it looks really tough with the SI's relative lack of torque and relative high rpm's at freeway speeds, I may find my city MPG will be as high as my HWY MPG, about the most I see on other sites is the low 40's.
I may be able to get that in relatively flat Wi and IL using pedal/coast method.
In a flat 65MH Zone I will probaby accelerate to 70 or so then coast down to 60-65 depending on traffic conditions, and use constant speed on slight uphill grades with out cruise, and coast as much as possible on the downhills.
Seems like 60-65 in 6th gets the most votes.
My hiway trips are stlll about 2 weeks away.
Should be interesting, I will be taking notes
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 19:26
YES I'm Stoked!

I didn't think this was possible when I bought my Si, not in my wildest dream.
I was only trying for 35MPG.
This is 100% city mileage, not one wheel has touched the hi-way.
Top speed was about 54 MPH, Top rpm was 5000 many times.
Other than basic mods, new Napa Air Filter, Amsoil Synthetic Oil, Tires Inflated 42F and 41R, Denso Power U-grove Iridium Plugs, LCD20 oil additive, 2 oz. per tank FP plus Gasoline additive, One 1 oz. per tank "secret" gas additive. I credit at least 60% of the high mpg to driving techniques and knowledge and 40% to a properly prepared car.
knowing the gear and speeds of the cruise control top mileage.
for instance 35-40 mph in 5th on flat terrain can yield over 40
40-55 mph in 6th gear can do the same.
Split shifting 2-4 or 1-3 at 3000-4000 rpm very quickly then going to 5th or 6th depending on incline and speed can give you better mpg than shifting slowly at 2000 rpm sequentially thru all the gears.
Coasting every chance you get in neutral is the biggest help in mpg if done properly.
I was committed to never hold up traffic and usually was 5-10 above the speed limit using the cycle pedal -coast-pedal technique, when no other cars are around i went about 5 under the limit.
I chose not to turn of the car to protect the starting components, and I read of people getting killed trying that technique, no drafting semis and suvs, again not safe.
I now believe 45 MPG city is possible, and at least 50 hi-way, I am now keeping a log and will try to catalogue technique and special MPG cruising speed, I need a camcorder to really document this.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: 40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 19:31
484.7 miles / 12.0710 of Premium Shell Power V at $4.159 = 50.20.
Thats 40.15 MPG All City!!
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: 40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 20:13
WOW! Very impressive!!!

Can't wait for mah 09!
carcrazy84
Profile for carcrazy84
Re: 40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 20:47
Well, good going, but it sounds like "city" mileage is kind of a misnomer here. Sure, you may not have driven on a highway, but a top speed of 54 is a bit fast for city streets.

Why all the additives? You're throwing away the money you saved getting that mileage.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: 40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 21:20
carcrazy84 wrote:
Well, good going, but it sounds like "city" mileage is kind of a misnomer here. Sure, you may not have driven on a highway, but a top speed of 54 is a bit fast for city streets.

Why all the additives? You're throwing away the money you saved getting that mileage.

Thanks all for the kind words.
I heard of hi-way mileage being a misnomer also, with constuction, stop and go, rush hour, etc. bu it's still hi-way, right.
So I will call this experiment city cause i made sure not to use any freeways under any circumstance to see what the civic could do in the city enviroment.
I now think 45MPG is achieveable with extreme practice, knowledge, execution, patience and care.
Many of the major city streets here in Milwaukee, Silver spring drive, capitol drive, brown deer rd, hwy 100, and others have speeds of 30-40mph in residential/city/school zones and 40-45 mph in buisness/suburban zones, I always try to be 5-9mph above the limit using the pedal coast pedal method, so in a 45 zone i would accellerate to 54 (10 gets you a ticket) than coast down to 40mph and repeat, traffic permitting. or simply cruise at 5 over the limit if traffic is agreeable in terrain is flat.
If I remeber correctly my longest time with out stopping for a light or train was on mequon rd. about 3-4 miles, 50% coasting. My shortest was Browndeer rd, just about every other light, I have since gotten very good at judging lights.
The two 32 oz. additives add up to under $40, 1 oz per fill up for gas, and 1 oz per 1000 miles oil, thats 2 years on average for $40 which is neglible and pays for it self in a few fill ups and keeps the oil and ass cleaner , or at least I think so.
The third "secret additive" averages out to 20 cent per fillup.
I do have a free way trip to illinois and to the Mall of America coming up soon.
But I really think the Si's light weight and low torgue make it great for coasting and city MPG, if kept out of vtec you should be able to get close to the regulars civic mileage.
bcdog960
Profile for bcdog960
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-20-2008 23:02
I actually achieved 34.24 mpg just last week. With a regular fill up with Delta Sonic 91?octane gas. Mostly suburban driving, also with about 20% highway. Shifting always around 2500 - 3000 rpm. Only reason i believe i achieved this is by cruising as much as possible in neutral when ever there is the slightest downhill. I wasn't driving like an old person or holding anyone up either. Always kept it at speed limit or 5-10mph over as well. Good Luck achieving 35mpg, i personally found it to not be worth it to not beable to enjoy revving it up sometimes to gain an extra 10miles or so for every fill up. Why get an SI if you can't enjoy it. But on average, i get roughly 31-33mpg on every fill up, while still enjoying hitting vtec from time to time and not driving so conciously thinking about gas.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2008 07:39
Way to go bcdog960 34.24 is excellent with regular shifting, a lil cruisung in neutral on downhill and only 91 octane gas 80 suburban-20 hiway.
I also like the fact that you didnt disrespect/hold up others like alot of hyper milers do.
I have found about 27-29 MPG with lots of vtecing and low 30MPG with modest vtecing to be about normal for me with driving totally not thinking of gas mileage.
I think you personally could easily do 40MPG just for fun with 1 tankfull with just a few suggestions, but as you are already getting 30-35 with just a little coasting, it wouldnt be worth it.
I am however intrigued with the K20 MPG potential so much, and as a enthusiat cyclist in my younger better fit years I was always experimenting with shifting, cadence, and knowing how to use the city enviroment and traffic to my advantage, I actually need to get back on that bike and drive less.
However I want to see if I can get 45MPG all city or close, and 50 MPG hi-way mostly or close, all without driving like a granny, holding up or direspecting other drivers, just by knowing the special shift points, the most efficiant cruise speeds, short/split shifting technique, pedal coast pedal technique. and proper use of hills and inclines and now engine braking which uses no gas above 1500RPM, I may also try a K&N or Green air filter (2004 ford focus version fits si, i am told but am researching) as an midterm step until I get a SRI this fall.
Happy Si driving, Do you have the sedan or coupe?
DekChi
Profile for DekChi
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2008 14:00
Something gotta be wrong w/ my SI. Best I ever got is 28.8MPG with about 50-50 city/highway. I haven't touch 6K RPM in a really long time (usually shift at about 3-3.5) and I'd been avoiding heaving accleration

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2008 14:49
DekChi wrote:
Something gotta be wrong w/ my SI. Best I ever got is 28.8MPG with about 50-50 city/highway. I haven't touch 6K RPM in a really long time (usually shift at about 3-3.5) and I'd been avoiding heaving accleration

my commute to my office is really short, and interrupted with long waits at several lights. i can seriously sit at lights for about 6-8 minutes, while the actual driving time to my office is only about 2 minutes. That driving pattern results in pretty crappy fuel economy.

Today, I had a dental appointment, and the office is fairly close to where my wife works, so I was curious to see what sort of mileage I would get if I had a commute similar to hers (roughly 20 miles round trip). To avoid waiting at several long lights, I drove home a slightly different way, making a sort of (clockwise=mostly right turns) circle. This was a little bit longer than the "direct" way, but only by about a half mile and I got pretty lucky with the lights going in this direction. It's a far more interesting drive too, with less patrolling (not that I'd be speeding) and lots of fun curves. I rolled into my driveway and the scangauge II (which seems to be pretty well calibrated now) indicated that my Si sedan had averaged 34.2mpg for the round trip. The roads are all 45mph on the first leg, and according to the scangauge II, my peak rpm was 7750 on that trip (I accelerated to merge into traffic coming out of a right turn). On the way back the roads were about 35% 35mph and 65% 45mph, and involved a couple of fairly steep climbs (unfortunately, on one of the descents I had to stop at a traffic light before I could fully reap the benefits of gravity). I used some mild mileage enhancement techniques on this portion of the trip, mostly related to maintaining the load on the engine going uphill, and coasting in gear as much as possible. The first portion I pretty much drove with the flow of traffic (~50-53mph), only noting traffic lights that I might need to be slowing for.

I wouldn't call the loop I took today as "city" driving - more like "town" or "suburban" driving. If you're in an urban environment where you're going block to block in a stop and go pattern, 25mpg would probably be a pretty big achievement, and I wouldn't be surprised to see numbers closer to the low 20s (as I have, once or twice). The car's sweet spot for cruising seems to be right around 50-55mph. At this speed, if the roads are mostly level and you're not making many stops, it wouldn't surprise me to see returns of over 40mpg avg.

Yesterday I made a 350 mile round trip, with about 335miles being all freeway. I left the house with a little over 1/4 tank, and then filled it up about 120 miles into the trip. I topped it off this morning after going to the dentist. Overall, on that tank (255 miles total, 230 miles fwy) I averaged 66mph and got 30.2mpg.

boomer1
Profile for boomer1
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2008 20:15
I just put on 109 miles on my Si on a visit to a doctor, all highway, and didn't change my driving style at all. Full throttle to merge or pass at my normal 5-10 mph over the limit. No opportunity to use cruise, coast or other techniques. Shifting at 5000 rpms, or more to stay away from 18 wheelers who were traveling near my speed. Based on my other tanks, the leds went down 2 marks from full, so I probably got 30-32mpg w/o changing my habits on Metro freeways.

I think thats damn good using 5th gear for passing. I think I could could get 35mpg easily with cruise control on in 6th gear. This is about what I expected and I'm happy w/it. Frugal and fast, an unbeatable combination for me.

6th gear is not happy under 3000rpm, so I downshifted to 5th to avoid lugging, and only downshifted to 4th for a lot of traffic going slower than me. The car still has under 2000 miles, but its a year old this month and the engine is loosened up nicely. I need to take it on a longish trip, somewhere out of state to put the finish on breakin.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-21-2008 23:42
boomer wrote:
I just put on 109 miles on my Si on a visit to a doctor, all highway, and didn't change my driving style at all. Full throttle to merge or pass at my normal 5-10 mph over the limit. No opportunity to use cruise, coast or other techniques. Shifting at 5000 rpms, or more to stay away from 18 wheelers who were traveling near my speed. Based on my other tanks, the leds went down 2 marks from full, so I probably got 30-32mpg w/o changing my habits on Metro freeways.

I think thats damn good using 5th gear for passing. I think I could could get 35mpg easily with cruise control on in 6th gear. This is about what I expected and I'm happy w/it. Frugal and fast, an unbeatable combination for me.

6th gear is not happy under 3000rpm, so I downshifted to 5th to avoid lugging, and only downshifted to 4th for a lot of traffic going slower than me. The car still has under 2000 miles, but its a year old this month and the engine is loosened up nicely. I need to take it on a longish trip, somewhere out of state to put the finish on breakin.

I've used my Si for a few medium distance road trips already so I crossed 5000 miles yesterday. It's loosening up quite nicely. It's still on the factory oil fill. Once the maint. req'd light comes on, I'll change the oil, dyno test it, and then maybe start dorking around with a few light engine mods. I really like the car - sure it has a few areas where it could be better, but it's very much in line with the Honda values that triggered the founding of the TOV, and to me it seems like a hell of a lot of engineering for the dollar. I would put it in the "TOV All-Star" category.
Texas
Profile for Texas
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2008 08:29
Gee. the Si sounds like the first model TSX...well done at a good price....04 tsx & I get 31-32 on 90% interstate trips with car loaded and doing 75+/- and 28 around town if I stay out of the sport shift/high rpms...not up to the Si, the Si sounds like what got Honda going....
MojaveAccord
Profile for MojaveAccord
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2008 16:59
More proof that great FE can be accomplished without having to do anything crazy (just a little more work than driving without thinking).

I find that having a mind for FE in everyday driving I end up paying way more attention to everything going on ahead and around me than I might otherwise and I end up spotting road hazards/sucidal drivers/etc. long before they become a factor.

41.8 MPG/40.X MPG on the way down/back from Los Angeles Int'l Airport (~160 miles each way) last week with the remnants of the flooding in my hometown to deal with on the way down and sitting in stop-n-go traffic on a cold start for the first 30-40 minutes on the way back from LAX. Both ways included a few trips towards 8k RPM for passing on two lane roads but on a long trip they probably only bring the average down 1-2 MPG at the very most.

mobomofo
Profile for mobomofo
Re: 40MPG CITY Civic SI!!! "Goal Exceeded"    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2008 18:46
carcrazy84 wrote:

Regardless, let's suppose he were talking highway, 40+ mpg is something you'd normally see on a vanilla Civic, not the Si trim level.
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Profile for A.W.E.S.O.M. - O
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2008 19:47
Jeff wrote:
boomer wrote:

I've used my Si for a few medium distance road trips already so I crossed 5000 miles yesterday. It's loosening up quite nicely. It's still on the factory oil fill. Once the maint. req'd light comes on, I'll change the oil, dyno test it, and then maybe start dorking around with a few light engine mods. I really like the car - sure it has a few areas where it could be better, but it's very much in line with the Honda values that triggered the founding of the TOV, and to me it seems like a hell of a lot of engineering for the dollar. I would put it in the "TOV All-Star" category.

I like your "TOV All-Star" idea for the Hondas TOV deems truest to their ideals. Sometimes it's hard to get a read on which Hondas hold favor here (Civic Si, S2000) or why some don't (Mugen Si, Pilot, etc.). It give us more of a frame of reference of where posts are coming from. You could have like current available all-stars and "Hall of Fame" all-stars.
JV03h
Profile for JV03h
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2008 07:05
accord1989 wrote:
yea it looks really tough with the SI's relative lack of torque and relative high rpm's at freeway speeds, I may find my city MPG will be as high as my HWY MPG, about the most I see on other sites is the low 40's.
I may be able to get that in relatively flat Wi and IL using pedal/coast method.
In a flat 65MH Zone I will probaby accelerate to 70 or so then coast down to 60-65 depending on traffic conditions, and use constant speed on slight uphill grades with out cruise, and coast as much as possible on the downhills.

Relative lack of torque relative to what? Show me another competitor engine (2.0 L 4cy Normally aspirated) that comes close to it stock. Then add up all of the engines in this comparison. This engine if not the very top, is very close to the top. then put your comment into perspective. Because "A relative lack of torque" would indicate it is very near the bottom.

I think a proper comment would be more like, compared to other engines with 200 HP, and its relative lack of torque........
MojaveAccord
Profile for MojaveAccord
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2008 13:52
JV03h wrote:
accord1989 wrote:

Relative lack of torque relative to what? Show me another competitor engine (2.0 L 4cy Normally aspirated) that comes close to it stock. Then add up all of the engines in this comparison. This engine if not the very top, is very close to the top. then put your comment into perspective. Because "A relative lack of torque" would indicate it is very near the bottom.

I think a proper comment would be more like, compared to other engines with 200 HP, and its relative lack of torque........

Great point. I show 156.62 lbft peak and greater than 82% of that peak from 2200-8300 RPM at the hubs (which probably translates to about 150 lbft at the wheels). Are there any other production engines that generate 75 lbft/liter at the wheels (maybe 86 lbft at the crank?) NA on 91 octane? Granted I'm moded with a good dose of bolt-ons but those probably aren't adding more than 10% if I'm lucky.

accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 18:49
DekChi wrote:

Actually that's not to bad, probably about average.
You could easily get 30 by making sure yor air filter is clean and it's holder is clean, synthetic oil if you havent already also help, I also recomend trying 1 -3 more psi in your tires.
Those three things alone should get you over 30.
If you want more, cruise in 6 at 50-65 on level ground and 5th at 35-55 and you will probably see the low to mid 30's.
You can also cruise in neutral on downhills for even bigger gains depending on your driving area and conditions and condition of your car.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 18:54
The car still has under 2000 miles, but its a year old this month and the engine is loosened up nicely. I need to take it on a longish trip, somewhere out of state to put the finish on breakin.

1 year old and not even 2000 miles on an si???
Where did you have it ? In a closet?
I thought my 6800 after my SI's first year was low, but my other car is a Lexus LS for winter and long hiway trips.

Last edited by JeffX on 08-04-2008 19:07
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: Civic Si: 34MPG 100% city driving    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 19:04
JV03h wrote:
accord1989 wrote:

I think your last sentence sums it up best.
I was refering to it horsepower to torque ratio as oppossed to other cars in the 200HP range.
the civic has to really keep the rpms up at 65MPH and higher, if it had more torque say 160-200 I believe it's city mileage would drop but it's hiway mileage would go up as the Rpms needed to keep that speed would go down, Or so my theory goes.
I dont see this as bad because in a city setting it works the opposite or so i believe, as I average around 40 MPG now entirely city.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
I feel like Tiger Woods    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 19:20
When he makes a great shot, but is dissapointed still because he wanted it greater still.
Lots of stop and go traffic on my daily work/lunch commute of 20 miles per day and some experimenting with engine braking and hill ascent stratigies.

At 492.5 miles I filled up with 12.54 Gallons of Shell V Power Premium at $4.099 per gallon. and 1 oz of LCD INC's FPPLUS Gasoline additive (approx 46 cents).

That's 39.274322169 miles per gallon. A slight dissapointment.

If I would only leave earlier for work that would help with the traffic, I also clean my air filter for this upcoming tank and will practice low load hill ascent and engine breaking to try to get to that magic 45 MPG city number or close.

This K20/SI is a great engine and great car combo
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I feel like Tiger Woods    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 19:36
accord1989 wrote:
When he makes a great shot, but is dissapointed still because he wanted it greater still.
Lots of stop and go traffic on my daily work/lunch commute of 20 miles per day and some experimenting with engine braking and hill ascent stratigies.

At 492.5 miles I filled up with 12.54 Gallons of Shell V Power Premium at $4.099 per gallon. and 1 oz of LCD INC's FPPLUS Gasoline additive (approx 46 cents).

That's 39.274322169 miles per gallon. A slight dissapointment.

If I would only leave earlier for work that would help with the traffic, I also clean my air filter for this upcoming tank and will practice low load hill ascent and engine breaking to try to get to that magic 45 MPG city number or close.

This K20/SI is a great engine and great car combo

You're disappointed?

I'm sitting here trying to deal with the crushing devastation that you only carried out the calculations to nine decimal places. It's like I've had the wind taken right out of me.

sorry, I couldn't help myself. That's a pretty decent figure you got, though. Considering how easy it is to make that number plunge south of 30, I don't think I have the intestinal fortitude to make those kind of numbers ever pop up on my Si's trip computer. I just don't have occasion to cruise for long periods of time in the 40-55mph range. The freeways are all 75+mph, with very few level areas, which means I'm probably looking at a best of around 35mpg.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: I feel like Tiger Woods    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 20:10
Well I guess I am not really disappointed. I just hate to have my mileage go down from the tank before, good thing I have been documenting each drive with temperture, stops, traffic info, etc.. I just copy-pasted that calculator number, sorry, lol.
Actually my cruise use is very short usually 1-4 blocks 5 max and then I shift to neutral or engine brake down to 1500 rpms then neutral and stop at that dreaded stop sign/light.
There are a few sections in my routes where I can almost coast for 30-40% of the time using the cycle method.
Coasting is the main MPG champ, followed by getting out of 1st and second gear as quickly as possible, those two gears are the most powerful and get the whole car moving but totally "murder my MPG" if stayed in for too long, 5th and 6th are the secondary MPG champs especially with cruise even for a few blocks.
Those hilly freeways could be a blessing in disguise if you don't mind building up speed on the down hill coasting on the bottom half of the uphill and simply maintaining (not accelerating the last part of the hill and cruise when level) and repeat and use cruise when on the flat and level sections.
However many scan gauger's say once you go above about 65-67mpH YOU STEP OUT OF THE SI's 40-50mpg freeway ZONE
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: I feel like Tiger Woods    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2008 20:30
accord1989 wrote:
Well I guess I am not really disappointed. I just hate to have my mileage go down from the tank before, good thing I have been documenting each drive with temperture, stops, traffic info, etc.. I just copy-pasted that calculator number, sorry, lol.
Actually my cruise use is very short usually 1-4 blocks 5 max and then I shift to neutral or engine brake down to 1500 rpms then neutral and stop at that dreaded stop sign/light.
There are a few sections in my routes where I can almost coast for 30-40% of the time using the cycle method.
Coasting is the main MPG champ, followed by getting out of 1st and second gear as quickly as possible, those two gears are the most powerful and get the whole car moving but totally "murder my MPG" if stayed in for too long, 5th and 6th are the secondary MPG champs especially with cruise even for a few blocks.
Those hilly freeways could be a blessing in disguise if you don't mind building up speed on the down hill coasting on the bottom half of the uphill and simply maintaining (not accelerating the last part of the hill and cruise when level) and repeat and use cruise when on the flat and level sections.
However many scan gauger's say once you go above about 65-67mpH YOU STEP OUT OF THE SI's 40-50mpg freeway ZONE

the problem is that most of the grades I encounter are pretty mild - like around 0.5-1% or so, so i get the mileage robbing issues going up them, but there's not enough of a downhill grade to really reap any benefits from mother nature (ie, they're not steep enough to overcome wind and mechanical drag, so i gotta still toe the throttle a bit). there are some steeper ones, and on those you can coast for miles and really get the numbers up. But there's not many of those on my habitual routes.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Re: I feel like Tiger Woods    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2008 16:10
Hey Jeff, I see your dilemma, In a case with very slight inclines on downhills I would probably "create my own hills" by the cycle method. accelerating about 10 or so above where you want to be, then coast in neutral to about 5 or so lower than you want to be and repeat. If the coasting is about 255 or more you should see gains in MPG otherwise it's not worth it and not for everybody that's for sure.
accord1989
Profile for accord1989
Ran out of gas    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-16-2008 17:46
I made it home, then when I went out later to get gas the car would not start, so rather than try again, I got my trusty red gas container and walked to the second nearest gas station, Shell my favorite was closest but closed, so speedway was my choice, as it is open 24 hours, i put 1.88 gallons in but spilled a little taking out the hose, got home put the gas in then rode back to fill up a total of 13.26 gallons @ $4.099 minus what spilled at 487 miles for 36.72 miles per gallon, pure city and 2oz. of FP+ gas additive.
The weather this August has been great, 70's and 80's with very little humidity here in Wi, so the traffic was much more congested then my other tanks as people are out enjoying the Lake, fair, and just being out. I also didn't get to use my gas saving techniques as much although I have been able to use cruise much more and avoid red lights by grocery shopping in the early am.
I may make a trip to Ill this tank to stretch the K20's leggs a bit.
So far getting Hybrid like mileage without any extreme hyper miler techniques has been quite fun, but the Vtec Urges are a calling.
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Ran out of gas    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-23-2008 07:50
accord1989 wrote:
. . . getting Hybrid like mileage without any extreme hyper miler techniques . . . .

"Without any extreme hyper mile[age] techniques"? You're kidding, right?

Where I live that it really pisses people off if you dare to drive the posted speed limit. I'm curious as to how your fellow motorists are responding to your driving patterns.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy