[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews - TOV Tweet
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord CrossTour > > Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3
Author
  Post New Thread
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 01:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TSX69 wrote:
As with the new Accord, the Crosstour’s 3.5L V-6 engine now is matched to a 6-speed automatic transmission in place of the previous 5-speed.

Would the ED 2.4 be available ?
XDreammachineX
Profile for XDreammachineX
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 05:00
TSX69 wrote:

Honda is promising “heavily revised” trim materials, a new 8-in. (20-cm) in-dash information display, keyless start and paddle shifters for V-6 models.

Am I the only person finding this a bit strange? V6 + paddle shifters? I thought V6 was only available as a 6-speed automatic. Paddle shifters to work with 6-speed! Nice! Unless they are debuting V6 CVT, which would also be good.
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 10:04
XDreammachineX wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Honda is promising “heavily revised” trim materials, a new 8-in. (20-cm) in-dash information display, keyless start and paddle shifters for V-6 models.

Am I the only person finding this a bit strange? V6 + paddle shifters? I thought V6 was only available as a 6-speed automatic. Paddle shifters to work with 6-speed! Nice! Unless they are debuting V6 CVT, which would also be good.

I find it weird because its a CrossTour which I would assume is rarely driven in a spirited manner necessitating paddle shifters.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 10:10
Mr. Taggart wrote:
In other news, the French, who were disappointed by the performance of the Maginot Line, announced that they will refresh it and it will become the benchmark for national security once again. The designers of the updated Maginot Line were unavailable for comment as they were finishing up their work in BENGHAZI, Libya on the newly constructed US Consulate Office.

And across the pond, US Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke hopes that the announcement of QE3 will lead to economic recovery in spite of no signs of success with the other two. When asked to comment on how Japan has completed QE28 and not seen sustainable long-term growth patterns, Bernanke stated, "We have been leading the economy from behind but much like the recently introduced Civic is leading Honda back to sales growth, we will lead the US back by continuing to dump more paper money into the system. We wil achieve what no other nation has been able to accomplish.

Made me laugh.
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 10:11
98EX4cyl wrote:
XDreammachineX wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I find it weird because its a CrossTour which I would assume is rarely driven in a spirited manner necessitating paddle shifters.

Strange as it my seem, it handles extremely well. A couple of weeks ago we were very late for an event, so I put our CT through its paces. It responded in surprisingly good ways. Very impressive for such a large vehicle and worn-out original tires. But you're right, they're not sold on the basis of sportiness.

What we'd like to see is the fuel mileage computer like we have on our TSX. Much better than the ECO light for showing you the effects of, shall we say, "keeping up with traffic". ;-)
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 10:26
CanTex wrote:
98EX4cyl wrote:
XDreammachineX wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Strange as it my seem, it handles extremely well. A couple of weeks ago we were very late for an event, so I put our CT through its paces. It responded in surprisingly good ways. Very impressive for such a large vehicle and worn-out original tires. But you're right, they're not sold on the basis of sportiness.

What we'd like to see is the fuel mileage computer like we have on our TSX. Much better than the ECO light for showing you the effects of, shall we say, "keeping up with traffic". ;-)

The CrossTour was already surprisingly quick with the 5AT. With an updated V6 and 6AT it will be even zippier.

And I have said all along - the CrossTour's chassis is great. It doesn't give a ton of steady state grip but it slithers very willingly through the twisty bits. It's not at all like a typical CUV or even most so-called "Sporty" CUVs. It's really carlike in that respect. The ride/handling tradeoff is much better than the ZDX.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 13:12
Jeff wrote:
And I have said all along - the CrossTour's chassis is great. It doesn't give a ton of steady state grip but it slithers very willingly through the twisty bits. It's not at all like a typical CUV or even most so-called "Sporty" CUVs. It's really carlike in that respect. The ride/handling tradeoff is much better than the ZDX.

But it's just plain UGLY!
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 13:16
sadlerau wrote:
Jeff wrote:

Yes it is, BUT it's an Accord with a hatchback. We call ours U.B. (for Ugly Butt). It is very easy to find in a busy parking lot. See? There's a good side to everything...
ru4real
Profile for ru4real
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 13:49
Having driven one before buying my Odyssey, I can attest just how nice the Crosstour drives: quick, smooth and QUIET, my Odyssey is quiet enough but the Crosstour is Lexus quiet IMO.
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 15:22
ru4real wrote:
Having driven one before buying my Odyssey, I can attest just how nice the Crosstour drives: quick, smooth and QUIET, my Odyssey is quiet enough but the Crosstour is Lexus quiet IMO.

Agree completely. As I have noted ad nauseum over the last three years, we had a Lexus RX350 before the Crosstour, and the Crosstour is superior in every way but glitz. Better handling, better on-center handling (600 miles is nothing in the CT but it was a tiresome job trying to keep it straight all day in the RX), better seating comfort. Sure the ride is firmer, but I'm one of those who actually wants to know what's going on under me. I do miss, though, the power tailgate and the nifty pop-out coffee holder at driver's left. Oh, and the Corolla cruise control stalk was truly awful.

The Crosstour is amazingly quiet, except for the intrusion from the OEM tires on concrete highways. Quieter than the RX.

But we may take Jeff's advice and upgrade to an RDX "soon". We'll see.

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 17:24
If it had been made as a proper station wagon instead of a half baked GT, it would have been a succes. THe stupid sloping rear end destroys the utility factor. The otherwise crappier Venza has outsold it exactly for that reason.
XDreammachineX
Profile for XDreammachineX
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 19:35
sadlerau wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I gotta say, back in 2010, when Crosstour first came out, I had doubts with its styling. Two years of not paying much attention to it, but realizing that a cars with a bigger boot (i.e. wagon) would fit my needs, I started to look at and pricing out the Crosstour more closely.

It's either the wishful thinking of driving a beautiful car, or the styling is growing on me. It is... handsome, not ugly. Scout's honor! I'll run into one on the street once every two days, and I'll look at it and think, one day, all those people who thought its butt-ugly, will have a change of heart and see it as a car with the styling was years ahead of its time. IMO, it is prettier than BMW's X6, even though Honda probably modeled the Crosstour after it.

Now, I don't know about the 2013 MMC of the Crosstour. The "concept's" more capable/atheletic styling is not doing much for me. If Honda's going the route of the Audi A6 Allroad, you got to be bring the goods along with the looks and not just skin deep. I just hope that they do import all the niceties they already put in the new Accord, and then some more, so it will justify the ungodly price for a slightly re-packaged, wagon version of an Accord.
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 20:00
whatever that means for sales.

Honda's probably gonna go the wrong way about this and try to butch it up instead of making it slinky.
ru4real
Profile for ru4real
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 21:25
Will be interested to know what you think of the RDX compare to your Crosstour. I'm sure you've really enjoyed your car, it is a really really nice driving car. I agree, I used to have a GX, and it was a chore to drive on the highway as it would wander quite a bit and that cruise control stalk was really awful, I enjoy the Odyssey so much more too.
blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 21:53
I'm in New York now and I don't know what you guys are on about - the Crosstour looks fine! Looks even better slammed. In black, the weird nose isn't really all that pronounced. It's better in person anyways.

Seen lots of other cars/Acura's but will keep it to the Crosstour here for now.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 22:06
blackstripe77 wrote:

Seen lots of other cars/Acura's but will keep it to the Crosstour here for now.

Please translate.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 23:32
The Crosstour is a design failure, period.

Interior and powertrain couldn't save it, and trying to run it against a Subaru now with some "tougher" styling is further down the trail of making it a joke.

The better idea is what Neal designed awhile back, where it had the coupe styling up front, a decent stance and the remaining ugly ass. Give it some sense of purpose outside of some alien presence and you might establish a market share held by the remaining dominant players.

Even Honda said that consumers were confused by what it was. I work in design, tactile use, and various point A to point B workflows. If a product of my employees hit the market and the consumer sector reported low take rate and confusion as to what was supplied, I would have heads on my desk and I would be equally worried about my own.

If you can't honestly catch the shit before it gets out the door, you are lost.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-21-2012 23:58
If you go over to Edmunds, owners of the Crosstour are for the most part extremely happy with their cars. I think if it fills those people's needs, it's hard to call it a design failure, despite the eccentric styling. Shoot, if I was going on a long road trip and needed to carry a few things, the Crosstour might be the way to go!
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2012 07:53
superchg2 wrote:
If you go over to Edmunds, owners of the Crosstour are for the most part extremely happy with their cars. I think if it fills those people's needs, it's hard to call it a design failure, despite the eccentric styling. Shoot, if I was going on a long road trip and needed to carry a few things, the Crosstour might be the way to go!

It IS the way to go for us. We have a 1500 mile trek every year between Texas and our summer place in Ontario, so we pack 'er up, grab the cat and off we go for an enjoyable road trip. Plus lots of summertime road trips in between. You never think about the car, you just enjoy. The car will be there for you every time.

Yes, lots of shortcomings (rear visibility, awkward cargo area, bulk, weight) but as an Accord hatchback it just works. We cross-shopped the Subaru Outback, and for general purpose use, the CT was the winner. Would we buy another (see above)? Well, the RDX is awfully attractive...
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2012 23:42
superchg2 wrote:

Might.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-23-2012 13:04
DCR wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Might.

Probably a better touring machine than a Civic Hybrid, eh?
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 13:26
I can see out of the hybrid, so that is a plus.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 16:06
CanTex wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

It IS the way to go for us. We have a 1500 mile trek every year between Texas and our summer place in Ontario, so we pack 'er up, grab the cat and off we go for an enjoyable road trip. Plus lots of summertime road trips in between. You never think about the car, you just enjoy. The car will be there for you every time.

Yes, lots of shortcomings (rear visibility, awkward cargo area, bulk, weight) but as an Accord hatchback it just works. We cross-shopped the Subaru Outback, and for general purpose use, the CT was the winner. Would we buy another (see above)? Well, the RDX is awfully attractive...

As Jeff said at the start of the thread... the overhangs are excessive, the excessive "high riding" posture makes it ungaily...

From our own experience driving it for more than a month, the outside of the car is too wide as well. My wife never had an issue parking the Odysseys but the bulk of the CT was problematic.. mostly because the body extends A LOT from the inside so that it's hard to tell where the car ends: front, back, sides? If there's one Honda car that needs those old style fender curb feelers, this is it.

Power wise it was fine, but according to my wife, the new Accord has it all over the CT.

So, my opinion on this is simple, if you like the utility of the CT, then you have to cross shop the TSX wagon.

Sure, it lacks the grunt of the V6, but the TSX wagon is a FAR better vehicle than the CT.

We know... after a month and a half in the loaner Crosstour they delivered the TSX wagon we had ordered. We went from one to the other directly so the comparison was fresh.

I hope that if AHM builds a new CT based on the new Accord they keep the outside tight and small.... better yet, dump the CT and build a new TSX wagon on the new Accord.

Try the TSX, if you like your CT, you'll love the TSX wagon.

The only thing is that getting in and out you have to sit down / stand up... whereas in the CT you go in and out... but on EVERYTHING else, the TSX is the wagon.

CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2012 10:43
TonyE, agreed on most everything. Our other car is a '10 TSX, and my wife considers it underpowered, though I feel it's just about right.

Yesterday we completed our semi-annual Ontario-to-Texas trip, about 1800 miles over three days, including the "slower" route through W. Virginia. The CT was awesome all the way, with the only annoying thing being the original tires and the noise they produce. My wife says we HAVE to have a V6 next time, especially after all the on-ramp hot-runs she did to stay out of the way of the 18-wheelers that were closing fast.

We have a decision to make: Trade it now (36K miles, good tread on tires, 0 blemishes) on probably an RDX, or keep it another year (with new tires and brakes). I say go for the RDX, but the frugal side says add 100K miles and then we'll talk. What may tip the balance is the small parking spots and aisles in Canada, and the small garage parking stall we have at our condo up there - the RDX would be perfect for all that. In my case, the higher seating is better for my clutch-worn-out hip.
Drum
Profile for Drum
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 16:18
My wife is looking for a new car and the Crosstour seems "close".

Really would prefer more of a station wagon like the Venza. A little lighter weight and updated I4 engine and tech like the new Accord and it could be a winner.

But will it be around long enough for a new model?

I could see an updated version having more room and better handling and mpg than a CRV.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 20:56
Good job bumping up an old thread. Was confused for a second.

Will there even be a next generation Crosstour?
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 08:21
As with a lot of Honda/Acura products of late I think the polarizing styling of the CrossTour turned away a lot of potential customers.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 09:38
JeffX wrote:
CanTex wrote:
98EX4cyl wrote:
XDreammachineX wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

The CrossTour was already surprisingly quick with the 5AT. With an updated V6 and 6AT it will be even zippier.

I believe I read upon the CT's debut that Honda changed the rear suspension geometry vs what the 08-12 Accords setup was and that gave it better ride/handling characteristics vs the Accord sedan.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 17:07
Alrighty, checking back in.

Is it a success as he vowed?
mikeishere85
Profile for mikeishere85
Re: Honda CEO disappointed by Crosstour sales, vows to make it successful    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 00:49
DCR wrote:
Alrighty, checking back in.

Is it a success as he vowed?

Highly doubt it.

I've laid eyes on a Crosstour more than once around my way...but, I suspect that it's just one Crosstour that I've seen multiple times in traffic instead of seeing multiple Crosstours.

Outside of that, I haven't seen them at all...not even in a color other than White.

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy