[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Conky
Profile for Conky
2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 04:42
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As to the '13 Si: When I decided to replace my '06 rather than spending all of the money to fix it, I thought a lot about what I would get. Ultimately, despite the rather ugly looking snout and uninteresting seeming engine, I got a '13 Si. The engine seems very willing and nice for around town, but nothing to write home about. We'll see though. It does have some guts and a nice song. (Unenhanced by the use of the wheel well as a sound chamber, so I understand.) The suspension is quite a bit better. The steering seems to point better (slightly less lock-to-lock?) and it also seems lighter. With the improvement in steering and beefier front suspension, turn in is better. The brakes -- meh. The climate control deals well with driving in a big FL summer thunderstorm. This is a first with a HMC vehicle for me!!! I like the steering wheel better. the handholds at 10 and 2 are smaller in diameter and rounder. The reviewers seem to rave about the shifter. It's not that great, though the gate is squarer -- no slight dogleg down to the right going into 6th. I'm waiting for the CT Engineering (Comptech) short shifter to arrive and be installed to decide. When I put one in my '06 both the throw lengths and the solidity of the shifter were noticeably improved and I'm expecting the same result. The clutch, on the other hand, is wonderful; by far the best I've ever experienced. The seats are much worse. Smaller bolsters, less padding and profoundly ugly and uncomfortable fabric. I don't think that the top of the shifter knob will burn me quite as much when the sun's been shining on it. I really like not having to drive with the emergency brake pressing into my leg. It's a nice car. When it came time to subject myself to the horror of the dealership experience and seemingly endless waiting entailed, I had no qualms about buying it.
That being said, the K24Z7 is NO replacement for the K20Z3.

This was my review of my new Si at almost 700 miles. In the past 500 miles, I have quit grieving over the loss of my 2006 Si and come to really appreciate the 2013 version. After the installation of a CT Engineering short shifter adapter, the transmission is a joy, almost twiece as quick and mlore solifespecially coupled with the wonderful clutch. The abundant torque of the K24Z7 makes driving a lot more fun. I miss the (artificial but very sensual) howl of the K20Z3, but I don't really miss having to to wind to 6,000 RPM to hear it, or rowing through the gears to get some power, since there was sh** for torque. The K24 has a lovely growl from launch and is much quicker. 201 BHP is BS, but the flat torque curve from 2,000 RPM I have read complaints about the rev hang, but my 2006 had that too. I really didn't notice it until I read the complaints probably because my I adapted my shifting style to it more than 7 years ago. The result is acceleration at as seamless as a really good automatic.
The handling is much better. The steering is much more precise. The Pilot Sport 3s -- now nicely scrubbed in -- are much better than the Exalto (LOL) PE2s, or any of the succeeding tires that replaced them and that helps in the improvement of handling and steering. Now that the brakes are pretty well seated, I've changed my mind about them. They are much better than any HMC brakes I've experienced. The climate control is as good as I first thought. It handles the temp/humidity differential in a FL thunderstorm as well as any car I've ever driven. The sound system is OK, but I've never really liked hearing the sound coming from behind me anyway, besides, the lovely song of the engine drowns it out most of the time. I've read complaints about the styling, but I think it's nicely aggressive. The 2006 looked like a chiclet, so I got the full aero kit just to relieve it's blandness. I hate the knobs on the IP. I hate the seats and the astoundingly ugly fabric. I've driven the car fairly hard from the onset and it has responded nicely. I think it's good enough to actually be able to maintain the 35 mph speed limit on the Tail of the Dragon staying in lane and not using the brakes a very tall order for any stock setup. In short this car is much better than my 2006.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 08:25
Thanks for the update Conky!
deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 09:07
Great review! I agree almost 100%, from the time I've spent in the woman's new '13.

The seat bottoms are hard! After an hour my butt starts to hurt a tad. I really think the seats in my 07 are the best I have ever experienced.

I'm noticing that the lame fabric is starting to show some wear in high use areas (where the elbow rests on the center console, etc)

The matte finish in the cup holder area also is wearing quickly (scratches)

Right below the door latch the plastic is scratched from her ring brushing against it when she pulls it to get out.

MY biggest issue when driving is the drivers door armrest is much lower that in my si. When I'm driving I always rest my arm there and have perfect reach and control of the wheel while hwy driving. This position is not possible with the 13. It drives me nuts.

She's averaging about 35 mpg @ 3500k mi. That's at least 6 more than I get. Pretty impressive!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 11:57
deandorsey wrote:
Great review! I agree almost 100%, from the time I've spent in the woman's new '13.

The seat bottoms are hard! After an hour my butt starts to hurt a tad. I really think the seats in my 07 are the best I have ever experienced.

I'm noticing that the lame fabric is starting to show some wear in high use areas (where the elbow rests on the center console, etc)

Right below the door latch the plastic is scratched from her ring brushing against it when she pulls it to get out.

MY biggest issue when driving is the drivers door armrest is much lower that in my si. When I'm driving I always rest my arm there and have perfect reach and control of the wheel while hwy driving. This position is not possible with the 13. It drives me nuts.

She's averaging about 35 mpg @ 3500k mi. That's at least 6 more than I get. Pretty impressive!

yes apart from the engine disappointments (but it at least has some merits, including fantastic fuel efficiency and better access to torque), my biggest complaints about the new Si are the dumbed down cockpit. It's not like the FG civic had amazing quality materials or finish, but the new one has slid further backwards (the upgraded dash on the '13 helps gain some of that back). But the seats are a massive downgrade and many of the other details just make me shake my head. It's as if the product team just didn't take the Si's market seriously at all.

I want the next one to get completely away from the video game dashboard bullshit. Give me some proper seats, SERIOUS brakes, a serious suspension, and an engine that is properly designed for a sports coupe/sedan and NOT a crossover.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 16:03
JeffX wrote:

yes apart from the engine disappointments (but it at least has some merits, including fantastic fuel efficiency and better access to torque), my biggest complaints about the new Si are the dumbed down cockpit. It's not like the FG civic had amazing quality materials or finish, but the new one has slid further backwards (the upgraded dash on the '13 helps gain some of that back). But the seats are a massive downgrade and many of the other details just make me shake my head. It's as if the product team just didn't take the Si's market seriously at all.

I want the next one to get completely away from the video game dashboard bullshit. Give me some proper seats, SERIOUS brakes, a serious suspension, and an engine that is properly designed for a sports coupe/sedan and NOT a crossover.

Jeez! Tell me you don't like it, huh?

Other than the V6 6MT Accord, this is the second best Honda to lay rubber.

And the LSD is fun.
Conky
Profile for Conky
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 16:07
deandorsey wrote:

:-) Well, I sort of didn't finish what I was saying about the torque curve being flat from around 2,000 RPM.... It definitely makes a big difference. It feels like the torque starts to drop a little bit, then the horsepower comes on. The K24 is a much better engine than I originally gave it credit for. It's almost as if the K20 were a toy. Yes it did develop the horsepower, but it came in one big rush from 5,800 to 6,000 RPM, then kept going up. It was fun but tedious to drive in the sort of traffic I am always in. I forgot to add that I hate the height of the arm rest and the console. It make relaxing while you're driving impossible. I think that the FG2's IP is a lot worse than the FG3's, but at least, it didn't have those awful knobs. In pretty congested traffic, I'm averaging 27.4 MPG -- a significant improvement over my 2006. I love the back-up camera!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 16:08
TonyEX wrote:

And the LSD is fun.

TonyEX, I've always wondered what you are on.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 16:24
Did you get the Navi?

Ours has got 4500 miles or so, and it's broken in very nicely now.

Most of its miles have been put by my wife commuting to work to Torrance and she gets almost 30mpg on the 405.

When I drive it in my "commute" I'm lucky to get 17mpg, but since I can fill it up every other week I just enjoy it and stopped worrying and go with a nice 15mpg.

The metal knob gets hot, indeed, so I cover it with a towel and try to park facing away from the sun.

The cloth seats are welcome in the SoCal sun. We had a '12 with the same seats and they did not wear out at all even at 12K miles. The '13 looks brand new so I don't know why do you guys complain about the cloth. IMHO it looks fine and it wears well.

I have driven the car a couple of times for over an hour and had no issues with the seats so this might be an issue on how your back side is designed.

The steering is much better over the '12 but I do wish it wasn't as boosted at speed. I'd prefer less boost over 20mph, but it is precise. Sadly, AHM did not offer the summer tires on the Si sedan, which I think it's nuts...

Similarly, AHM does not offer the HFP suspension and brakes on the Si, which we would have gone for because, well, because we would have gone for.

Bypassed the aero stuff, too much money and it already has a real wing... WING.... the '12 did not. So there. Not quite an ITR wing but if you're gonna measure Honda cars by their rear wings, the '13 Si really scores muy bien!

Stereo... well with the NAVI we got XM but I pretty much keep it on the Grateful Dead or Fox News channels. It lacks the front center channel of the ELS in our TSX wagon, so I never had high expectations, so I just dig Sugar Magnolias and keep on Truckin'

(Got my chips cashed in... dig?).

Overall, I really enjoy the torque of the K24 although I do wish it would have something like the old H22A with torque, a wild VTEC engagement and a 7500RPM redline. This engine is very good low down and up the middle but it lacks something in the top end.

That said, I have buried it into the fuel cut off getting onto the freeway... 2nd gear at redline is at an inopportune speed when merging.

Oh, the iMid is useful but underwhelming. I wish they'd offer a screen with oil temp, oil pressure, water temp and amp meter. That VTEC indicator on the iMid is a bad joke, useless. In reality, I think I'd cut down on the graphics clutter and bring up useful screens with "round" gauges:

(1) Audio screens
(2) Aux Navi Screen
(3) Oil/Temp/Amp Screen
(4) Trip Computer Screen
(5) Setup Screens

AND WHOEVER DECIDED TO DISABLE HALF OF THE NAVI/iMID MENUS WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING SHOULD BE FIRED.... DID YOU EVER THINK THE PASSENGER MIGHT WANT TO DO THAT????

Lastly, I would change the cluster... I'd put a tach like the one in the GSR (that was a great dash), and put a real temp gauge in lieu of the VTEC LEDs.

Bottom line is that going from the 06 to the 13 you missed the decontenting of the 12 which was a bit surprising being that AHM put in 99% of the goodies in there but cut back on the 1% that people see all the time...

Have fun.

Farage1
Profile for Farage1
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 18:47
Glad to hear you are enjoying it dude. I have 22000 miles on my early 12 model (I think its number 300 something off the line) and it has been a rock solid ball of joy. Give it a few more thousand miles and you will see how the drivetrain becomes even sweeter as it fully wears in. I have expressed some minor complaints in other posts but I must say that for the price, there really isn't much to complain about... The rev hang that everyone whines about is something you get used to after a couple of thousand miles and don't even notice anymore.
Conky
Profile for Conky
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 02:56
TonyEX wrote:
Did you get the Navi?

Ours has got 4500 miles or so, and it's broken in very nicely now.

Most of its miles have been put by my wife commuting to work to Torrance and she gets almost 30mpg on the 405.

When I drive it in my "commute" I'm lucky to get 17mpg, but since I can fill it up every other week I just enjoy it and stopped worrying and go with a nice 15mpg.

The metal knob gets hot, indeed, so I cover it with a towel and try to park facing away from the sun.

The cloth seats are welcome in the SoCal sun. We had a '12 with the same seats and they did not wear out at all even at 12K miles. The '13 looks brand new so I don't know why do you guys complain about the cloth. IMHO it looks fine and it wears well.

I have driven the car a couple of times for over an hour and had no issues with the seats so this might be an issue on how your back side is designed.

The steering is much better over the '12 but I do wish it wasn't as boosted at speed. I'd prefer less boost over 20mph, but it is precise. Sadly, AHM did not offer the summer tires on the Si sedan, which I think it's nuts...

Similarly, AHM does not offer the HFP suspension and brakes on the Si, which we would have gone for because, well, because we would have gone for.

Bypassed the aero stuff, too much money and it already has a real wing... WING.... the '12 did not. So there. Not quite an ITR wing but if you're gonna measure Honda cars by their rear wings, the '13 Si really scores muy bien!

Stereo... well with the NAVI we got XM but I pretty much keep it on the Grateful Dead or Fox News channels. It lacks the front center channel of the ELS in our TSX wagon, so I never had high expectations, so I just dig Sugar Magnolias and keep on Truckin'

(Got my chips cashed in... dig?).

Overall, I really enjoy the torque of the K24 although I do wish it would have something like the old H22A with torque, a wild VTEC engagement and a 7500RPM redline. This engine is very good low down and up the middle but it lacks something in the top end.

That said, I have buried it into the fuel cut off getting onto the freeway... 2nd gear at redline is at an inopportune speed when merging.

Oh, the iMid is useful but underwhelming. I wish they'd offer a screen with oil temp, oil pressure, water temp and amp meter. That VTEC indicator on the iMid is a bad joke, useless. In reality, I think I'd cut down on the graphics clutter and bring up useful screens with "round" gauges:

(1) Audio screens
(2) Aux Navi Screen
(3) Oil/Temp/Amp Screen
(4) Trip Computer Screen
(5) Setup Screens

AND WHOEVER DECIDED TO DISABLE HALF OF THE NAVI/iMID MENUS WHEN THE CAR IS MOVING SHOULD BE FIRED.... DID YOU EVER THINK THE PASSENGER MIGHT WANT TO DO THAT????

Lastly, I would change the cluster... I'd put a tach like the one in the GSR (that was a great dash), and put a real temp gauge in lieu of the VTEC LEDs.

Bottom line is that going from the 06 to the 13 you missed the decontenting of the 12 which was a bit surprising being that AHM put in 99% of the goodies in there but cut back on the 1% that people see all the time...

Have fun.

I don't need Navi. I've lived in in the Tampa area for 71 years and I also know the best back roads to get to Robbinsville, NC and then the Tail of the Dragon or the Cherohala Skyway.

Have you changed the oil yet?

My normal daily drive is 12 miles round trip on suburban roads. There are 6 stoplights each way. I'm delighted with the 27.4 MPG so far. My 2006 did 20-22 on the same trip.

I carry a wash rag for shift knob heat control purposes. I figured that out in 2/06 -- the first time I left my old car in the sun.

I wish HMC had kept the seats and the fabric from the 06. They were both superior. My hatred of both in the '13 is a reflection of my appreciation of what I had. The texture of the fabric does match up nicely with the "carbon fiber" parts of the IP. I had to drive a 2013 Mazda 2 for a little while a couple of weeks ago and I realized what bad seats really were. (Editorial: Actually the Mazda 2 was a total piece of crap, except for the paint job. It was frightening to drive. Awful handling, brakes, transmission and a total wuss engine. The Fit is a hell of a lot better. I had always thought that Mazdas were pretty good cars.)

The steering is better than the '06, but it's still like a slot car. You just point it. It always goes where you point it though. I took a test drive in an Si sedan. I was not happy with it at all and the A/S tires -- even though were Pilot 3s just didn't get it done. The Pilot 3 summer tires are really good, especially in the rain and they're barely scrubbed in.

There's an HFP package, but it includes 18" wheels and the ugly aero along with the suspension -- no brakes. I built a coupe with aero online before I committed to getting my car. Unlike the '06, I thought it really detracted from the front and rear fascia design. I sure wish I had been able to see how stunningly beautiful the sunburst orange pearl was in real life before I ordered whatever it is black.

One of the things I liked best about the body styling of the HG3 is the spoiler. Unlike the FG2 it looks like it's aerodynamically efficient below 180 MPH. LOL The big spoiler on my '06 helped relieve the tedium of the body for wrapped around the great ACE cage, but it was butt (Ooppss.) ugly.

There is a good classical music station here. It's usually on in the background. Sometimes I take along CDs -- often "Workingman's Dead" or "American Beauty." :-D

Indeed, I cashed in my chips about 43 years ago and it paid off big time. LOL

I have a feeling that the K24 is going to go from strength to strength as it wears in. I'm thinking 20,00 miles until it's getting ready to go. My K20 was really there at 68,000. The H22A was a nice engine, but I think the F20C was the best. Though it was pointless because the horsepower and torque had disappeared, you could wind it to 9,000. Then the S2000 was a pet project when the Si was just a tuner's toy throwaway. (Forget the EP3. ICK!!!) We may never see anything like the MOL hot K20s or K24s again. Earth Dreams and all that shit.

Because of the gearing and torque you should be able to get to 3rd by short shifting from 2nd and then jamming it on freeway entrances. It works for me anyway. Again, It'll do better when the engine is more mature.

The iMid is a joke. I leave mine on MPG. I hate the stupid VTEC indicator. I don't even look at the tach. I just use the engine. I can hear what it's doing. I would much prefer an oil temp indicator in that place, like the 2006. I agree, a series of engine function gauges would be better.

deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 07:30
TonyEX wrote:

how is this even possible? the lowest i have ever gotten in my si is 26-27 mpg.

and i miss the oil temp indicator too. first time i drove the 13 i was looking all over for it :(

i saw some posts on the 9th gen site of people putting "gauges" as their imid wallpaper. ha

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-08-2013 14:40
Coolant temp, guys.
Farage1
Profile for Farage1
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-08-2013 18:36
Conky wrote:
Because of the gearing and torque you should be able to get to 3rd by short shifting from 2nd and then jamming it on freeway entrances. It works for me anyway. Again, It'll do better when the engine is more mature.

I find myself short shifting 3rd a lot too. Fourth is my favorite gear, it has so much usable power. You could be in 4th at 50mph, gun it and hit 100 pretty quickly lol.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-08-2013 22:11
TonyEX wrote:

And the LSD is fun.

This last week has been a k24z week for me. 3 new SI and one Ariel atom with the same engine (supercharged). I'm sorry, but other than the Atom, which disguises the dullness of the k24 with a power to weight ratio matching a 1000cc sport bike, this engine is just not sporting in any way.

Sure, it starts off strong. From idle to 4000 rpm it's a willing motor, perfect for commuting and generally driving without having to think, for a second, about your revs, throttle position or gear. But push past that and suddenly the torque curve begins to taper, the power curve begins to flatten, and, well, there is just no joy.

As someone else (many?) said, this engine would be perfect with a 6AT. But it's not an SI engine. One can only hope this is an ep3 like k20 mistake.

SC
Conky
Profile for Conky
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 02:13
I agree Shawn, the K24Z* is in no way sporting, nor deserving of being in an Si. That being said, I had virtually no choice but to get an FG3. I would have happily paid more for a 2011 FG2 with less than 100 miles, but I couldn't find one. I've wanted an Ariel Atom since I first saw Jeremy Clarkson's video, but I have a black FG3....
There is a series of very technical curves, about six miles in all near my house. I drove them for the first time today in this car and it did much better than my FG2 and it was because of the torque. The engine doesn't seem to do much past about 5,200, so I just kept it there and the great transmission (with short shifter adapter), LSD and lovely clutch made it easy to do. The better steering is also a real difference maker. As you said, no joy. That isn't to say that it's no fun though. The K20A3 was, by far, a more disappointing engine. It couldn't do anything. I think a new transverse version of the F20C would be just dandy.
I'm going to take this car to Robbinsville next summer and see what it can really do.

First oil change?????

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 10:09
I will just say that I am glad the 6MT V6 Accord exists.
deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 13:11
Ugh. I go back and fourth with this every day. New SI vs V6 manual coupe.

I don't want a coupe (dogs, convenience of 4 doors etc). And I don't want a bigger (longer) heavier car. The 2 civics fit perfect in garage.

But- I like the nicer interior features, technology, and of course the power train combo. (I like the LEDs too DCR) .......

deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 14:33
AND I found a 13 SI w/navi yesterday at my dealer which I'm sure I could get a great deal on, but I really want to see what these '14 "enhancements" turn out to be.

If they added lane watch or projectors or updated navi I would be miffed I didn't wait.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 16:18
notyper wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

And the LSD is fun.

This last week has been a k24z week for me. 3 new SI and one Ariel atom with the same engine (supercharged). I'm sorry, but other than the Atom, which disguises the dullness of the k24 with a power to weight ratio matching a 1000cc sport bike, this engine is just not sporting in any way.

Sure, it starts off strong. From idle to 4000 rpm it's a willing motor, perfect for commuting and generally driving without having to think, for a second, about your revs, throttle position or gear. But push past that and suddenly the torque curve begins to taper, the power curve begins to flatten, and, well, there is just no joy.

As someone else (many?) said, this engine would be perfect with a 6AT. But it's not an SI engine. One can only hope this is an ep3 like k20 mistake.

SC

Yet, we loved our EP3, wish we kept it.

Yes, this K24 is no screamer and you might as well short shift before the redline and if you want to race it on the track likely not as fun.... indeed I did note in earlier posts about the LBGP that you no longer see Si's on the track.

But as you say, around town, it's pretty fast and although RPM range is not as critical as it is with the smaller motor, it's still important to be above 2500 rpm if you want to move.

And, yep, it's a good motor with an AT. In our TSX it's a very good match with the paddle shifters.

But, overall, this Si is as fast as others... so, so... we're back to the religious take of what an Si should be.

Ay!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 16:25
DCR wrote:
I will just say that I am glad the 6MT V6 Accord exists.

Completely different things, you ought to know better than to write that.

Don't compare them.

I laid 40 feet of rubber at the parking lot at work... took me almost 60 seconds... I only stopped because I had the window opened and being FWD I started to suffocate.

And that was with an 05 which had the crappy clutch take off and severe axle hop if you didn't catch it right.

V6 + VTEC + 6MT + TCS off + very careful with the clutch = 15K mile life expectancy for OEM Michelins.

I dunno know about your Accord and whether you care about your tires ( my cars are lease cars with maintenance included ) but tire slip on those cars, although not as -ahem!- magnificent as my old Accord, is a supremely simple thing to do.. no real skill...

gas + clutch + VCS off + no real skill with clutch= ... well you know...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 16:36
deandorsey wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

how is this even possible? the lowest i have ever gotten in my si is 26-27 mpg.

and i miss the oil temp indicator too. first time i drove the 13 i was looking all over for it :(

i saw some posts on the 9th gen site of people putting "gauges" as their imid wallpaper. ha

My current 'commute'

2.5 miles if I take the shortest route ( walk, bike ).
2.7 miles shortest drive route
3.3 miles middle drive route (less lights)
4.5 miles long drive ( least lights, one mile stretch at 'speed')

I checked on reprogramming the iMid. It uses some RTOS for which you got to buy the license... etc. Likely not doable unless (a) AHM puts a hook or (b) you work at AHM or American Honda R&D.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 16:39
I never compared them.

My point was, I would not be in a Honda right now if the Accord V6 6MT did not exist. I am going to let this generation of Civic float right on by and hope for a better run next time.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 19:33
superchg2 wrote:
TonyEX wrote:

And the LSD is fun.

TonyEX, I've always wondered what you are on.

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.
Conky
Profile for Conky
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 02:23
DCR wrote:
I never compared them.

My point was, I would not be in a Honda right now if the Accord V6 6MT did not exist. I am going to let this generation of Civic float right on by and hope for a better run next time.

I don't know DCR. I really thought about the Accord V6 with the 6 speed, but it's just too big for me. This car is a lot better than it first seemed. It's not that different, except for the engine and the ACE II frame, but it's subtly better at everything it does. I don't like the seat fabric and trivial things like that, but I find myself appreciating other trivial things. The engine will be fun. It actually does very nicely right at VTEC engagement for goofing around -- then a drop into 6th for overdrive. I'll know for sure next summer, but I can imagine going up and back the Tail of the Dragon inside the lane without using the brakes and actually averaging 35 mph --the posted speed limit -- which my 2006 could never do in at least 50 tries. http://www.tailofthedragonmaps.com/maps_ridemeposter.html

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 12:08
As long as you are enjoying it...that is all that matters.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 16:50
DCR wrote:
As long as you are enjoying it...that is all that matters.

Hmm... we went through the 2.0 to 2.4 change arguments ad nauseum... Shawn just resurrected it.

and now you say that?

Oh well, I got the Dead on the headphones and it's hard to be mad when you are grooving along.

I do like the Accord, and we too had the option of going to a 13 Si or a 13 Accord V6 6MT.... but the LSD made the difference.

Hmm.. LSD and Dead... no, no.... just a coincidence of letters and places.

In my opinion, the Accord is a much heavier car than the Civic. I wish it had an LSD, yep, but in reality I'd rather have a Fit Si with an LSD, DHOC iVTEC K16 and 6MT....

The Accord simply goes too fast into turns, the Si is there as well but the LSD helps... a Fit Si might be slow enough that you could take it flat out through the corner knowing that the power train can not over ride the suspension ( a traditional trait of early Honda cars).

In fact, for pure fun, take a first generation CVCC with radials and go banzai! You could drive those cars at WOT ( actually you had to...) through corners and move out the tail with a quick stab to the brakes. Quick! because you didn't have that much power to spare.

The CRX Si was the last such Honda that could be taken that way... the GSR got really fast, the Type SH with ATTS sort of fixed it ( never had an ITR )... but after that things got fast.

That's why I didn't go for the Accord. Too fast, too much mass, too much under steer.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-15-2013 22:34
For the commute I am on, the Accord is just head and shoulders above the Si in every way. I don't do anything but commute, and there isn't a single place on it where the Accord can't do what the Si could.

Accord wins this round for me.
deandorsey
Profile for deandorsey
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2013 09:24
DCR wrote:
For the commute I am on, the Accord is just head and shoulders above the Si in every way. I don't do anything but commute, and there isn't a single place on it where the Accord can't do what the Si could.

Accord wins this round for me.

How is your mpg? I remember you posting you got 30mpg. Has that increased.

Thanks
TLinTX
Profile for TLinTX
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2013 09:48
Not DCR, but I'm still getting an average of 30 MPG in my Sport.

With Eco on and careful highway driving it can turn out 36, but 30 is more realistic in a 50/50 mix of stop-and-go traffic with highway on my commute.

I am still glad I got it over the Civic, even the SI. It's so much more car for the money.

I wouldn't mind owning the Si but not for my commuter car.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: 2013 Civic Si at 1,200 Miles    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-16-2013 11:52
I don't use the Eco button thing, but I like turning it on sometimes for a second because if feels like a boat anchor just landed in the trunk.

If I just drive with no regard, I get 25-27 on my commute, and if I take it easy I can get 31-33 no problem.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0