[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I drove the TLX V6 Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Weight distribution
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX favorable reviews
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Beware
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: DCTs on TOV?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Del Solo
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dodge unveils 204 mph Charger Hellcat
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Current gen Pilot+Vezel+Vision design elements
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2013 Accord Visor Issue
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Dealers: Fit Inventory/sales?
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: 2008 Odyssey Rear Main Seal
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > S2000 > > Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 14:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
My guess on the next S2000 you will not see a long nose because it will be most likely be 2+2.

The Beat will be the 2 seater Roadster.

And look at the GT86....even with a Flat-4,it has a high hood,
must be for the crash test!

Wait, so it's not going to be a roadster, it's gonna be a sort of 4 seater cabrio?
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 21:25
Nick GravesX:

I am reminded of just how good looking the S2000 was/is. I'm sure it could be made to look modern with just a minor refresh. Pity the numbers don't add up, imagine a reborn S2000 with a turbo under the hood?
danielavg1991
Profile for danielavg1991
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2013 03:15
Nick GravesX wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
My guess on the next S2000 you will not see a long nose because it will be most likely be 2+2.

The Beat will be the 2 seater Roadster.

And look at the GT86....even with a Flat-4,it has a high hood,
must be for the crash test!

For comparison:

Someone has put a 3.0 Supra six into one (both actually!) already.

I think the problem is actually the McP strut towers, rather than the engine. Although crash-structure height and rationalisation with a derivative product cannot be ruled out either.

We don't know how the new S2000's wheels are attached, but the in-wheel DW was crucial to its low nose. The scuttle is still fairly high though, but headroom over the cam cover is very tight indeed.

I think the flared fender styling also contributes to the effect in comparison. The center of the GT86 hood comes much lower than the sides do while the S2000 is flat across the entire width of the hood.
s2kx2
Profile for s2kx2
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 05:07

There will not be a replacement for the S2000. There MAY be (one day) a kinder, softer, hybrid or Miata like sports car from Honda but, the grab you by the scruff of the neck, howling, unforgiving, raw hi revving beast the original S2000 was .... We will never see a car like that from Honda again. I would love to be proven wrong.
fladdams2k1
Profile for fladdams2k1
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 21:05
I agree. I feel the S2000 and the original NSX were built by a far different company than the one that exists today. That company made things happen when it seemed impossible and built machines that stirred the soul, the senses and the heart.

I'm sorry, maybe its the close minded side of me, but I just can't get excited about the new NSX; I can't afford it anyway, but even if I could, I wouldn't even consider it. I don't really care how much power it has or how fast it will be; the S2000 (and NSX) were never about raw power to begin with and it was the driving sensation - flicking those gears, hearing the engine howl, hitting the VTEC crossover - that was the rush.

I don't see why its so inconceivable that Honda just build something simple with a high revving 4 or small V6 with circa 260 hp, in the same spirit of the original S cars. They were plenty efficient, ahead of their time, made great power and proved an engine could make power and still be socially responsible. I can't accept that in the last 10+ years the best thing they've come up for improvement is adding a hybrid drivetrain to everything and making it way more complex than it needs to be. If I wanted overly complex I'd buy a BMW.

Just more reasons to never get rid of my S2000. We'll never see any cars like that from them again. I too, hope I am wrong..
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 23:15
CivicB18 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
The new pedestrian front crash rules will make it hard to make a car like the old S2000 with a I4 engine in the front and keep the hood low.

An inch isn't much these days, and he is largely correct. I wish I could post it here, but the new C7 article in Automobile (I think), shows the new car in relation to most of the generations before it.

Even compared to the 1st gen, it is low and relatively small. It isn't terribly higher or larger than the C4 despite the addition of 30 years worth of regulation, a doubling of HP, a similar external engine size, etc.

Poor excuse!

if a mid-engined (front-mid that is...) C7 corvette can keep the same dimensions, why not the future S-car?

what powerplant is Honda thinking putting in there anyway?

The C7 grew an inch in length due to the addition of VVT and DI mechanicals which reside on the front of the V8.

~Patrick

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 23:23
owequitit wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
The Legend wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:
The new pedestrian front crash rules will make it hard to make a car like the old S2000 with a I4 engine in the front and keep the hood low.

Poor excuse!

if a mid-engined (front-mid that is...) C7 corvette can keep the same dimensions, why not the future S-car?

what powerplant is Honda thinking putting in there anyway?

The C7 grew an inch in length due to the addition of VVT and DI mechanicals which reside on the front of the V8.

~Patrick

An inch isn't much these days, and he is largely correct. I wish I could post it here, but the new C7 article in Automobile (I think), shows the new car in relation to most of the generations before it.

Even compared to the 1st gen, it is low and relatively small. It isn't terribly higher or larger than the C4 despite the addition of 30 years worth of regulation, a doubling of HP, a similar external engine size, etc.

**Format correction**
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2013 17:27
danielavg1991 wrote:
I think the flared fender styling also contributes to the effect in comparison. The center of the GT86 hood comes much lower than the sides do while the S2000 is flat across the entire width of the hood.

Have you driven an 86? If you have, it is pretty neat what the hood shape does from the driver seat.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2013 17:39
The GT86 puts struts up front, Subaru-style. Well, not 100% the same, but close enough.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2013 18:23
jshaw wrote:
The GT86 puts struts up front, Subaru-style. Well, not 100% the same, but close enough.

The chassis is pretty much a cut n' shut Impreza one, so you're not wrong. The rear axle is, they reversed the front control arms & moved the rack to the front of the axle for better steering responses.

The front wings reach quite a way above the upper chassis legs & strut towers, which I presume is for pedestrian safety.
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: The new S2000 might be Mid-Engine    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-18-2013 17:01
I'm coming in late here, but I could not agree more with fladdams2K1's comments [with slight editing] below:
fladdams2k1 wrote:
. . . I feel the S2000 and the original NSX were built by a far different company than the one that exists today. That company made things happen when it seemed impossible and built machines that stirred the soul, the senses and the heart.

I'm sorry, maybe its the close minded side of me, but I just can't get excited about the new NSX . . . [edited] I wouldn't even consider it. I don't really care how much power it has or how fast it will be. [T]he S2000 . . . [was] never about raw power to begin with and it was the driving sensation - flicking those gears, hearing the engine howl, hitting the VTEC crossover - that was the rush.

I don't see why its so inconceivable that Honda just build something simple with a high revving 4 or small V6 with circa 260 hp, in the same spirit of the original S cars. They were plenty efficient, ahead of their time, made great power and proved an engine could make power and still be socially responsible. I can't accept that in the last 10+ years the best thing they've come up for improvement is adding a hybrid drivetrain to everything and making it way more complex than it needs to be. If I wanted overly complex I'd buy a BMW.

Just more reasons to never get rid of my S2000. We'll never see any cars like that from them again. I too, hope I am wrong. [Emphasis added] . . .

Final note: Mid-engined S2k? When pigs fly.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy