[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Just a bit of Civic 5-door trim info and some Next-gen CR-V News
More.......................
Spied on the Street! 2018 Acura RDX(?) mule?
More.......................
All-New 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Arrives This Fall in North America, 180hp "Sport" Trim on the way
More.......................
Honda Sets New Car and Truck Sales Records as American Honda Reports July Sales
More.......................
Civic 5-doors spotted in transport in England
More.......................
Acura NSX GT3 Program Progressing with Surprise Public Test Debut Slated for Mid-Ohio
More.......................
Acura Announces NSX GT3 updates via conference call today
More.......................
Just a bit of Civic 5-door trim info
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: California passes toughest greenhouse gas emission curbs
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> 06 Si Brakes for Track Use
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Brakes and Suspension Forum --> 06 Si Brakes for Track Use
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2017 Hatchback - No more EX 6spd?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2018 Camry.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2016 Summer Break Discussion
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota 86 = classic?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2016 Belgian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Honda NSX pricing estimate/order info for Europe
Join Discussion......
Sales Experiences --> Re: Can a damaged vehicle be sold as new?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT Big Test: Compact CUVs
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: Pickuptrucks.com mid-size comparo
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: My experience with the latest Takata Recall (so far)
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: JUDGE ME-- Gokart Racing
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Precision Concept coming to Pebble Beach
Join Discussion......
2017 Honda Accord Hybrid Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2017 Honda Ridgeline ride along
Read Article....................
2017 Honda Ridgeline PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
First Drive: 2017 Acura NSX(!)
Read Article....................
2017 Acura NSX PR Photo Gallery
Read Article....................
TOV Video: Guy Melville-Brown talks about the 2016 Civic Coupe design
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CB77
Profile for CB77
Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 10:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Car styling the past few years has gone down a very unfortunate path...that of an ugly, leering "face" on many cars. Apparently the more leering and over-the-top, the better. I suppose this just goes along with the general coarsening of our society (with everything having to be "extreme"...thus the fixation on "X").

You might know that this would be one design area in which Honda would excel.

GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 11:09
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Seems like front LED light configurations is what companies are using to define their look, and Honda/Acura has this with the jewel LEDs, so I am not sure why they also want these shiedls across the grill.
BTW an LED ........ H .......... or .......... A ........... would be pretty cool.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 15:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Looks like I am voicing the minority opinion on this topic. Apparently ugly, leering car "faces" ARE the way to go. Party on, Honda.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 19:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The euphemism is 'emotional styling'.

Emotionally retarded, usually.

I liked the inscrutable, Japanese smile of the super-clean 1990s Hondas. But less isn't apparently more, any more.

I dislike the over-styling trend, which makes a '59 Caddy look almost tasteful. I like VW's current clean look.

But the Emos want mental-looking cars.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 20:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

Yes Nick. I always liked early Accord styling, which was so clean, simple and refreshing. I agree this school of styling for Honda (and Acura) reached its zenith in the '90s.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 21:05
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nick GravesX wrote:
The euphemism is 'emotional styling'.

Emotionally retarded, usually.

I liked the inscrutable, Japanese smile of the super-clean 1990s Hondas. But less isn't apparently more, any more.

I dislike the over-styling trend, which makes a '59 Caddy look almost tasteful. I like VW's current clean look.

But the Emos want mental-looking cars.




I wonder what you think of that HUGE Audi grill?

It reminds me of the Panzer Goes to Poland sort of look.

I once made that comment at the LA Auto Show while "admiring" the dash of a BMW while seated in the driver's seat. The woman in the front passenger seat took offence... she owned a Bimmer.

BUT, given that I have a way with words she was left with the tattered remains of her vanity to reply. I just shrugged, mentioned something about the Blitzkrieg, got up and left.. followed by my irate wife who thought I should be more polite.

Bah humbug! Life's too short.


bigblue
Profile for bigblue
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 22:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
^ Well ... not exactly tactful.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 02:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CB77 wrote:

Looks like I am voicing the minority opinion on this topic. Apparently ugly, leering car "faces" ARE the way to go. Party on, Honda.



Didn't you read that Honda safety report from several years back? Incorporating elements of a face in car frontal designs help get the attention of pedestrians slightly quicker, improving pedestrian safety.
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 09:06
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
jshaw wrote:
CB77 wrote:

Looks like I am voicing the minority opinion on this topic. Apparently ugly, leering car "faces" ARE the way to go. Party on, Honda.



Didn't you read that Honda safety report from several years back? Incorporating elements of a face in car frontal designs help get the attention of pedestrians slightly quicker, improving pedestrian safety.



Yes, I saw that. And I would classify it as the typical psychobabble that we are hearing more and more from Honda recently. The old man would not have put up with this silly bullshit. Honda employees would have been terrified to even suggest such stupidity to him, because they knew what his reaction would have been.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Oh Joy! An Accompaniment to the Exciting Beak    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-07-2013 09:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
The euphemism is 'emotional styling'.

Emotionally retarded, usually.

I liked the inscrutable, Japanese smile of the super-clean 1990s Hondas. But less isn't apparently more, any more.

I dislike the over-styling trend, which makes a '59 Caddy look almost tasteful. I like VW's current clean look.

But the Emos want mental-looking cars.




I wonder what you think of that HUGE Audi grill?

It reminds me of the Panzer Goes to Poland sort of look.

I once made that comment at the LA Auto Show while "admiring" the dash of a BMW while seated in the driver's seat. The woman in the front passenger seat took offence... she owned a Bimmer.

BUT, given that I have a way with words she was left with the tattered remains of her vanity to reply. I just shrugged, mentioned something about the Blitzkrieg, got up and left.. followed by my irate wife who thought I should be more polite.

Bah humbug! Life's too short.





I used to admire Audi's clean, NSU-like elegance.

Then they became positively ridiculous in their terribly self-concious styling - the A1 looks like Eric Cartman throwing a tantrum. Such aggression on such a dumpy little car does not work. The very latest models with the hexagonal grille are a bit more toned-down, but for a generation I just used to laugh out loud at them. Especially when the typical tailgating bellends that bought them were understeering off a roundabout (having been too aggressively pursuing behind my old Prelude 4WS) it looked even more incongruous.

There was an A6 with an 1930s Auto-Union retro grille, which was wonderfully sinister. Sort of like members of our Royal Family dressing up like their 1930s cousins...IKWYM.

Really, they all look just as insane as does an 4G TL laughing at the faces in the clouds. BUT the great unwashed don't see it that way.





 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0