[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 2006 Civic SI NAV No Mods All Original
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production - TOV tweet
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche 918 tested in the USA.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > MDX > > Re: 2014 MDX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-22-2013 07:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
SUV Ready for a Prime Time Fight
Acura took the wraps off its 2014 MDX at the same time the new Superman film opened in theatres.

While Superman may be the Man of Steel, the MDX is a premium SUV on a steel diet, incorporating lighter materials to shave off pounds.

Nor is the MDX’s story as glamorous as that of our fictional superhero. It was conceived in Japan in 2001, and initially referred to as Multi-Dimensional Luxury, or MDX. It was adopted by Acura, Honda’s premium brand, in North America and found its way into the driveways of suburban homes with growing families.

While it had no super powers, it did have an advantage over its competitors at the time — 3rd-row seats. This gave the young SUV the same carrying abilities as a 7-passenger minivan, allowing citizens from Metropolis to Victoria to ditch their minivans.

Fast-forward to the present. Over the past few years, the MDX has been weakened, its flaws now well-known and exploited by competitors. 9-passenger seating with a DVD player in the back is now common fare — nothing super here anymore. Other vehicles also have radar, to warn drivers of oncoming obstacles. They, too, have the ability to see behind the vehicle. Ho-hum.

So what’s in store for the MDX? Can it fight off the never-ending stream of villains?
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2013 13:04
Edmunds
What Edmunds Says
Even more complete and desirable than its successful predecessor, the all-new 2014 Acura MDX is a top pick for a midsize luxury crossover, offering abundant refinement, luxury and comfort.

Pros
Superbly crafted interior; capable handling; good fuel economy; quiet, comfortable ride; long list of standard and available features.

Cons
Front seats offer limited adjustability; less cargo space behind the 3rd row than most rivals.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 11:12
USA Today
Acura has overhauled its popular MDX seven-passenger SUV, changing almost everything but the name, and the result is extraordinary.

Except for the electronics.

Test Drive's lead-foot approach to suburban motoring couldn't drop the trip computer reading lower than 17 mpg. Pretty close to awesome for frequent full-throttle driving in a 4,400-pounder.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 11:39
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!
klae17
Profile for klae17
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 20:06
TSX69 wrote:
Acura took the wraps off its 2014 MDX at the same time the new Superman film opened in theatres.

While Superman may be the Man of Steel, the MDX is a premium SUV on a steel diet, incorporating lighter materials to shave off pounds.

Nor is the MDX’s story as glamorous as that of our fictional superhero. It was conceived in Japan in 2001, and initially referred to as Multi-Dimensional Luxury, or MDX. It was adopted by Acura, Honda’s premium brand, in North America and found its way into the driveways of suburban homes with growing families.

While it had no super powers, it did have an advantage over its competitors at the time — 3rd-row seats. This gave the young SUV the same carrying abilities as a 7-passenger minivan, allowing citizens from Metropolis to Victoria to ditch their minivans.

Fast-forward to the present. Over the past few years, the MDX has been weakened, its flaws now well-known and exploited by competitors. 9-passenger seating with a DVD player in the back is now common fare — nothing super here anymore. Other vehicles also have radar, to warn drivers of oncoming obstacles. They, too, have the ability to see behind the vehicle. Ho-hum.

So what’s in store for the MDX? Can it fight off the never-ending stream of villains?

Can anyone tell me which cars have 9 seats and how common they are?
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 21:09
klae17 wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

GMC Yukon, its buddies, and that big Ford thing, as well.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 22:34
jshaw wrote:
klae17 wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

Just curious, where the 9th person sits on the Yukon? I only saw the interior pic on the GM website so I might miss something, but all I can see are 8 seatbelts latches, where is the 9th person seatbelt?

GMC Yukon seatings
klae17
Profile for klae17
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-06-2013 22:48
jshaw wrote:
klae17 wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I guess I don't see where the "common fare" is coming from.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-07-2013 03:02
I'll take back what I said about Ford, they recently dropped the option. However, it's still on the books for the Yukon's family line.

Considering each variant of the Yukon (normal and XL) aren't too far off of the MDX's sales, along with being roughly the same price, and just as old as the outgoing MDX, I don't see the issue comparing them. The two Yukon wheelbases combined? Outsell the MDX by a wide margin. The Chevy Suburban? It normally can stick with the MDX sales figures, but frequently tops it (starts at similar pricing). Chevy Tahoe? outsells the MDX almost 2:1 at times.

I'd bet they still attract very different buyers, but they are far more common than the MDX. Add in the old Ford Expedition, before the option was dropped.

From experience, the front bench comes in handy when the 3rd row is removed for extra cargo capacity. With a big V8 and sizable towing capacity, carrying too much for a long trip, or for work, was never any trouble. During family+friends outings, it can also come in handy for just hauling everyone to an event/restaurant without being cramped into an uselessly undersized seating arrangement.

That being said, the Pilot does a fair job of attacking that segment of the market, while not compromising the ability to compete against the likes of the Toyota Highlander, and various other lower priced 3 row SUVs.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2013 07:51
TheCarConnection
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2013 08:41
A77 wrote:
I notice neither old nor new MDX appears to have volume adjusters for the center air vents. it doesnt bother me, but lots of people, especially women like to close the vents - which you can do with the outer vents but not the center ones on many Hondas/Acuras. My TSX's can be closed. Some people don't like a breeze on their face. Sure the vents can be pointed away but doesnt always do the job. No Honda enable this. It just gives an extra bit of control over airflow. The VW Phaeton went one stage further being designed to keep the car cool whereever possible without direct vents.

You can reduce the air flow; it's buried in the HVAC menu somewhere and a little wheel (like the old cars!) would be much easier.

Much as I hate that sort of vehicle, I rather like the new MDX though and can see why it should be popular. Perhaps I'm ill...
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2013 12:28
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 10:06
New Car Test Drive
The all-new 2014 Acura MDX improves on the previous version in every way: Brilliant powertrain. Better acceleration and fuel mileage, more room and comfort inside, tighter dimensions outside, nimbler handling, shorter stopping distances, smoother ride. Get it without the packages for the best value. Our pick is the base MDX SH-AWD.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 14:12
We never got a review from TOV regarding the MDX.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 14:21
Nick GravesX wrote:
A77 wrote:
I notice neither old nor new MDX appears to have volume adjusters for the center air vents. it doesnt bother me, but lots of people, especially women like to close the vents - which you can do with the outer vents but not the center ones on many Hondas/Acuras. My TSX's can be closed. Some people don't like a breeze on their face. Sure the vents can be pointed away but doesnt always do the job. No Honda enable this. It just gives an extra bit of control over airflow. The VW Phaeton went one stage further being designed to keep the car cool whereever possible without direct vents.

You can reduce the air flow; it's buried in the HVAC menu somewhere and a little wheel (like the old cars!) would be much easier.

Much as I hate that sort of vehicle, I rather like the new MDX though and can see why it should be popular. Perhaps I'm ill...

You can't have air from the center/centre left vent (driver side) letting through air while the center/centre right one doesn't. So you have to point it away. Or the passenger does.

I wish Acura could do as good a job with its sedans/saloons as it does with its SUVs/4x4s. I envision/envisage I'll have the same thoughts with the TLX...but I hope not.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 13:21
Well, there goes that.

http://jalopnik.com/the-new-cadillac-escalade-will-debut-in-october-heres-1121537894

Though it's not too far off the current headlamp design.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2013 09:40
Acura MDX Redesign Mostly a Winner with "Consumer Reports"
Acura's redesigned MDX crossover SUV wins a "recommended" rating from widely consulted Consumer Reports magazine today.

The magazine calls the vehicle "pleasant and well-rounded," and says it has a comfortable ride and a "hushed cabin."
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-20-2013 09:42
Car & Driver: 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD
The new MDX is quieter at both idle and freeway speed, too, which is not a bad thing. Yes, a front-wheel-drive model is available for the first time, and the new Integrated Dynamics System has a “comfort” mode for those feeble-armed drivers who want their fairy-tale pumpkin carriage to all but steer itself to the ball. Put the new MDX in sport mode, however, and you won’t have to worry about making it home by midnight.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 6.4 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 17.1 sec
Zero to 110 mph: 21.5 sec
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 6.7 sec
Standing Ľ-mile: 14.9 sec @ 95 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 114 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 178 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.85 g

FUEL ECONOMY:

EPA city/highway driving: 18/27 mpg
C/D observed: 19 mpg
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2013 09:13
TruckTrend: 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD 1st Test
But loading up an otherwise mundane vehicle with goodies doesn't make it magically compelling or special. Thankfully, the new MDX is a dynamic standout in the three-row SUV class. Few other SUVs in this price range so deftly combine three-row capability with sharp reflexes and responsive handling. These attributes are further delivered in the traditional Honda/Acura fashion of efficiency, engineering elegance and precision, rather than just throwing a bunch of microprocessors and loads of excessive power in the mix.

In full-boat Advance Tech AWD trim, the MDX is venturing well into the price territory generally occupied by its German-branded rivals. And while on paper its transverse drivetrain and slightly lower power output may make it seem like a less attractive proposition than the Black Forest-bred SUVs, its behind-the-wheel experience offers plenty that an enthusiast can appreciate. Whether you're an MDX loyalist, a convert from the Lexus RX, or an agnostic shopper with an objective checklist, the MDX has the goods to please every member of the family.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2013 10:18
A77X wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
A77 wrote:

You can't have air from the center/centre left vent (driver side) letting through air while the center/centre right one doesn't. So you have to point it away. Or the passenger does.

I wish Acura could do as good a job with its sedans/saloons as it does with its SUVs/4x4s. I envision/envisage I'll have the same thoughts with the TLX...but I hope not.

I envision/envisage I'll have the same thoughts with the TLX...but I hope not too!
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2013 21:49
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-23-2013 22:20
Great SUV, but would be much better looking with our own Hondatalover's front end rebop.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 09:52
Tampa Bay Times
Our fully loaded tester came in an elegant and striking Forest Mist Metallic that we both immediately liked — it's gray with a hint of green. (The Eucalyptus interior also had a hint of green.) This third-generation MDX has also inherited the Jewel Eye LED headlights from its cousin, the Acura RLX sedan. Some may find them a bit much, but it's really the SUV's sole concession to bling.

The bottom line: The new MDX does just about everything well and has a lot to offer a busy family. Peter's main complaint: Acura still is in search of its luxury identity and hasn't quite shed its just-a-well-appointed Honda feel.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 12:37
TSX69 wrote:
Tampa Bay Times
Our fully loaded tester came in an elegant and striking Forest Mist Metallic that we both immediately liked — it's gray with a hint of green. (The Eucalyptus interior also had a hint of green.) This third-generation MDX has also inherited the Jewel Eye LED headlights from its cousin, the Acura RLX sedan. Some may find them a bit much, but it's really the SUV's sole concession to bling.

The bottom line: The new MDX does just about everything well and has a lot to offer a busy family. Peter's main complaint: Acura still is in search of its luxury identity and hasn't quite shed its just-a-well-appointed Honda feel.

I really don't think the Honda uppers really understand things that define luxury. Luxury is about excess not about leather surfaces or a ton of features. Acura's in terms of luxury are adequate and a few aren't even adequate in that sense. More trim models, an even highe grade of materials, real wood, real aluminum, more sophisticated drivetrains etc etc.

Acura shouldn't call the RLX their flagship as its certainly not flagship material. A true flagship is a vehicle the brand throws all of its top of the line technology, top notch design and top notch (dynamic, tactile, and road) performance into a vehicle and those attribute aren't applicable to the RLX.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-06-2013 13:13
Selling like hotcakes!
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-09-2013 15:38
AutoWeek
Road test editor Jon Wong reports that the number of buttons have been cut from something like 40 in the old model. That might be true, but a lot of those functions simply got moved to a button-laden screen, so I'm not sure there's huge improvement here. I suppose I need to get used to it. I probably wouldn't be freaking out over this interior if I worked at Audi, but it is overall a pleasant helm.

Dear Acura: Put the buttons back. This dual-screen navigation/infotainment system is among the most frustrating I've ever used and takes distraction to a new level. Particularly with the audio functions: not only did the various touchscreens make it difficult to figure out how to accomplish a task, in several cases a screen press did something totally unexpected. Neither my wife nor I could ever figure out how to bring up the song info for satellite radio.

I didn't mind all the buttons because they were positioned in logical and intuitive places that made learning them quickly easy. However, enough people complained about them so the new car has a touchscreen and minimal buttons. Like Andy, I don't find the system easy to use. Frankly, it was a little frustrating and clunky. Maybe with some more time I'll pick it up better, but right now I'm not a fan.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 11:49
Yes behind the rear bumper
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 11:55
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-23-2013 07:53
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: 2014 MDX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-23-2013 11:02
I have to wait 2 mths for our forrest mist, eucalyptus, avanced SHAWD :(
60 K plus change with extra goodies: towing, fogs, crossbars, all season floor mats for all rows, sport running boards, rear applique, side moldings. It really sucks that fogs are not standard on the most expensive model, we use them all the time. Around here they are known as deer lights. They are also indispensible when its snowing. Another pet peeve is why does Canada get a bigger washer fluid reservoir? We have shitty weather here too! Looks like Honda is learning other luxury marques' nickel and diming :(

Thread Page - 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy