[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
More.......................
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Honda's Roadgoing Moto GP Replica Bike Unveiled
2015 Acura TLX Earns 2014 IIHS TOP SAFETY PICK+
Honda and Acura release October sales results
General Talk --> Re: Honda's new AT(8-10 gears)
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX is benchmarked against
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Consumer Reports full review
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - McLaren-Honda Abu Dhabi test report
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D first drive: Toyota Mirai (hydrogen FCEV)
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: 2016 Civic Rumors
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Consumer Reports: CR-V Touring
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda Formula Lites
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Cadillac's boss is cocky but truthful.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rumor!!! Ito out in March of next year
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: CRZ Gen.2 looks like a go!
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: WTF Fifty shades of Grey
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wrecked my (moms) TSX tonight...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda starts first Wind Farm by an automaker in Brazil
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Dont test drive a 2015 CRV!!!
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > S2000 > > Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Nino
Profile for Nino
Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 08:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Both in the exact same shape, almost new, same mileage.

My purpose for this car:
No track use, backroads from time to time, mostly 1st/2nd gear redline few times per every time out, sometime 3rd getting on the hwy. No racing other people. That is it.

As another possibility, to make this more interesting, I also have the option of getting higher mileage AP1 and swapping any part form AP2 on it that would make this best of both worlds, if there is a such a thing. Or I could get AP2 and eventually swap parts from AP1 if that is the right direction.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback.

Regards,

Nino
JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 10:54
I've owned two AP2s (2004 and 2008) and driven the AP1 (2003). The 2003 is more raw but doesn't feel nearly as planted or stable. I didn't like the taller profile tires and the 16" wheels look wimpy (easily remedied with AP2 wheels/tires, or aftermarket). That big redline is nice, though!

Overall, the AP2 was the one I much preferred. You notice the shorter gearing in the lower gears and the torque is also more noticeable. However, it doesn't rev to 9000 rpm so that's a bit of a drag (a Hondata ECU reflash helps).

AP2 interior is significantly nicer and has a few good options that the AP1 didn't have. Personally, I like the safety net of the VSA on the 2006+ models (this car can bite you hard if you don't respect it) but it's not critical if you're smart. The AP2 exterior looks way more refined to me with much nicer headlights and taillights, plus a better front bumper/spoiler. AP2s all have a glass rear window (only 2003 AP1s have it, I believe), which is a good benefit.

Ultimately, the AP2 is the better car, in my opinion. It's not QUITE as raw as the AP1 but it's still more raw than anything short of an Elise/Exige and it's a more forgiving car without giving up much in the way of responsiveness.

Honestly, buy the newer car. It'll have less wear and tear due to age. The soft top has a known rub point that usually holes out after a while, so check for that. AP1s (early models) had issue with the oil jet bolts and quite a few had a rattle in the clutch that may (or may not) have been fixed under a TSB from Honda. The AP2 transmission is beefed up and lasts longer.

AP2 transmission on an AP1, with AP2 styling updates (wheels, front bumper, headlights) would be a great little car, especially if you get the 2003 model with the glass rear window. You get the looks/styling of the AP2 with the arguably funner motor of the AP1 (the lower gearing of the AP2 transmission will help it feel torquier). It's just a moderate amount of work for marginal "improvements" to the car....
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 11:25
Thank you, much appreciate you taking time to provide this feedback.
Given that I have lived all things Honda for last 25 years, I am having hard time passing up on S2000 before it gets relegated to gods of mods and scrap yards so I think it might be time to get one.
When it comes to drivetrain/electronics end of things, I enjoy doing all of it and have no concerns. Bodywork, I don't care for so that would automatically point me towards the newer car, but in case of S2000 one can still find quite a few in decent shape (body) therefore dilemma here.
Where I am having hard time is that majority appears to be modified one way or the other and also quite a few have these over the top body mods that are not something that I am looking for.
To driving dynamics, I only drove 2003 back in the day (when I figured I don't fit well enough - too tall- to justify the price). It was OK, tight and really only happy above 6K or so.
2.2L and shorter gearing probably amounts to a huge difference under normal driving conditions so this is the main draw in that direction.

Are there any real differences between 2004 and 2008? (other than VSA) at what point did Honda stop the changes? 2006?

Regards,

Nino

JIRZLEE
Profile for JIRZLEE
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 12:02
I have an 03 and love it but if I were to update I'd probably go with an 06 for the benefits you mentioned and things like flashpro are available and make modding more rewarding. The new kraftwerks supercharger is very appealing..
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 12:32
Yes, another big reason, Flashpro. I have one already on my TSX and coupled with traction control module it is exceptional.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Nino
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 13:00
I have an AP2 I agree completely. Ive foung the VSA to be very effective and with a very high threshold, it only intervenes (rather harshly) once you passed the car's limits. I dont screw around with aftermarket all it does is reduce the resale value and screw up the cars reliability or driveability. I just take it for what it is, the S2000 isnt a stoplight racer, however once rolling and on vtec it gives other very powerful cars a run for their money. I find that from 75-110 mph there are few cars that can keep up with it, plus it can run to about 130 all day long. Past 130 its just gradual accleration to top speed (around 145). It will terrorize miatas, RX 8's, z3 and z4's and plain Boxers all day long.
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 13:30
Nino wrote:
Yes, another big reason, Flashpro. I have one already on my TSX and coupled with traction control module it is exceptional.

Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Nino

I need to jump in here and speak up for the Ap 1.5 (2002-2003)

This is the best of both worlds. A lot of significant upgrades for 2002 (2003 is almost identical to 2002). Including less likelyhood of snap oversteer and a REAL air conditioner.

I bought a 2002 with 69k on it about four years ago and now it has 115k. Drive it almost every day, even in the winter.

I replaced the head unit with something modern for iPhone connectivity. Replaced the door speakers. Added speakers in the roll hoops and left most everything else stock.

One of these days I will add a subwoofer. But I need to find one that does not take up trunk space, because I actually use the trunk.

I LIKE the way the car looks with 16-inch wheels. It's the way the car was originally designed, and the car looks odd to my eyes with 17s.

The biggest change I might make is to either dye the inserts of the seats yellow or get new covers with yellow inserts. I think the yellow inserts to match the car color would be so cool.

Of course the best thing about the car is the engine and transmission. And I like the AP1 engine because it is more fun.

Overall, it's like having a big yellow go kart that I can drive to work everyday.

MY BIGGEST ADVICE: Get off your ass and go buy one. Any one (though I might stay away from 2000s and 2001s)!

Just do it.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 14:00
Nino wrote:
Thank you, much appreciate you taking time to provide this feedback.
Given that I have lived all things Honda for last 25 years, I am having hard time passing up on S2000 before it gets relegated to gods of mods and scrap yards so I think it might be time to get one.
When it comes to drivetrain/electronics end of things, I enjoy doing all of it and have no concerns. Bodywork, I don't care for so that would automatically point me towards the newer car, but in case of S2000 one can still find quite a few in decent shape (body) therefore dilemma here.
Where I am having hard time is that majority appears to be modified one way or the other and also quite a few have these over the top body mods that are not something that I am looking for.
To driving dynamics, I only drove 2003 back in the day (when I figured I don't fit well enough - too tall- to justify the price). It was OK, tight and really only happy above 6K or so.
2.2L and shorter gearing probably amounts to a huge difference under normal driving conditions so this is the main draw in that direction.

Are there any real differences between 2004 and 2008? (other than VSA) at what point did Honda stop the changes? 2006?

Regards,

Nino

I'd definitely vote AP2. I did a lot of research before I got mine and Honda did a LOT more work than many realize on AP2. Luckily, we have one of the best accounts of the changes right here: http://vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=152706. Many argue for the 9k redline (which is awesome) but that in and of itself is really all the AP1 has going for it IMO, it's not faster because of it, it's not more durable, and the link above should go a long way to substantiating that (not that both aren't awesome cars, it's just that the decision point becomes much more clear). I have a buddy who races professionally with NASA and while his chassis is AP1, the engine and trans are AP2, and the suspension has almost no OEM components left anyway.

The changes for S2000 go something like this (abridged and basic):
2003: minor updates (like spring rates), added glass rear window
2004: AP2, comprehensive updates to engine, transmission, suspension, interior, exterior
2006: added DBW, VSA, interior updates
2008: added CR trim

6SPDTL said it well, this thing will have its way with Miatas, older Z4s, and older Boxsters (including Boxster S) while being as reliable as the Miata and much cheaper to maintain than the last two. As for VSA, it works pretty well, it will let you step the rear out a little bit before it catches you and if you really wanted to you could leave it on at the track (although I'm not sure I suggest it because you'll go through rear brakes much quicker).

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 18:12
Nino wrote:

Regards,

Nino

2004 has a mechanical throttle body linkage. 2006+ are drive by wire (DBW) so you can reflash the engine ECU or easily add standalone engine manage. Later models (2006-2009) had speakers in the roll hoops, interior storage on the passenger side (under the main dash) and lost the through-holes on the seats behind the head.

2004/05 had the same wheels. 2006/07 had new wheels. 2008/09 had new wheels. Body and lights are pretty much exactly the same for 2004+ with only minor interior improvements, as noted above. Mechanicals are almost identical with just suspension/sway bar changes for some of those years.

2004 to 2008 differences are, specifically:

Slight suspension changes
Different wheels
Slightly different interior (seats, speakers, passenger storage)
DBW on 2008
fladdams2k1
Profile for fladdams2k1
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 18:46
My vote is for AP2 also. I drove an AP1 prior to getting my AP2 and while I enjoyed the car, I knew the AP2 would be the better fit for me.

The AP1 is certainly a more raw experience, and I felt the VTEC crossover was more pronounced than in my AP2, however I also remember having to stand on the gas in that AP1 to get it moving, which I don't have to do in my AP2. In fact, I rarely have to dip into VTEC to truly enjoy driving the car. But if you come across a well cared for AP1, I wouldn't pass it up. All AP2 owners sort of wish they had an AP1 and vice versa...part of the fun.

I'm coming up to 10 years of ownership of my S2000, and I've never owned a car this long before. They were never a dime a dozen even when new, and will only get more rare as the years go by. It still turns heads, draws compliments and puts a smile on my face. Cant say that about many cars these days.
RTypezCivic
Profile for RTypezCivic
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-30-2013 22:49
I just purchased an AP1 and I love it. Maybe I would have gotten an AP2 but it's out of my price range. But I'm also a sucker for 9K redline.
Wingz1
Profile for Wingz1
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-31-2013 11:31
I had an 02 , 04 , 06 and 08 CR. CR was my fav of the lot and if I got another even just for a dd it would be the CR. Biggest Pro/Con was the removable roof.

Car is so beautiful with the roof removed and looks "finished" vs seeing the cloth roof. Downside is out running the rain. I used two bicycle pulley racks from costco that were rated at 50lbs each to remove and replace the 47lb roof. Car was great in the snow as all seasons with VSA make the car all weather friendly.

I don't even have to say enjoy whichever you get as I know you will.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-31-2013 15:33
2001s are really not snappy and are the 'purest', IF you add chassis braces front and rear and have a good alignment done.

Chassis braces massively improve steering and breakaway feel, for reasons I don't completely understand.

But the 2008s are said to have the best chassis compromise, even if there was a slight drop in BQ. Plus of course, you get the less explodey AP2 engine.

It's less clear-cut for us, because all of ours are AP1s.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 14:46
I own a "launch day" S2000 and have had it since 1999. I have driven many other S2000s, AP1 and AP2 at the track and on the street.

The AP2's chassis is more forgiving no doubt, but I find that I prefer my '00s rawness and balance. The AP2 is a bit too benign for my tastes - I know we can thank the lawyers for that.

Also, the F22C + shorter gearing of the AP2 means it typically outperforms the AP1. BUT, I should note that the first AP2 test car we had in California (a ringer, maybe?) was considerably quicker than Shawn's AP1 S2000, but the one I tested here in Georgia was essentially dead even with the '02 or '03 AP1 we compared it to.

Personally I think the ideal setup would be the F20C with the F22's gearbox and final drive. The F20C's 9000 rpm redline means you have a 1000rpm fatter power curve (VTEC engages the high lift cam at 6000rpm on both) and with the AP2's shorter effective gearing I don't think you'd miss the torque difference. The F20 operates a little more smoothly too.

Anyhow, the original AP1 chassis setup and F20C is more enjoyable for me to drive than the AP2 but I would love to have the shorter gearing of the AP2. I do like the styling refinements of the AP2 models, and the glass backlight would be nice but the plastic one doesn't bother me much because I rarely ever drive the car with the top up.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 17:44
I'm pretty much with Jeff.

I can definitely acknowledge the superiority of the F22C for most applications though. While I adore the 9000 rpm glory of the F20C, the F22C punches out more power, is more usable, and has more potential (and is a bit better built). In fact, had not Honda hamstrung the F22 with the same VTEC point and the absurd 8000 rpm redline, I don't think anyone could argue that the F22 isn't better. With a 5500 rpm VTEC point and 8500 rpm limiter (FlashPro!) its no contest. And like Jeff, I feel the AP2 tranny is definitely a step up.

Chassis wise, I really _don't_ like what Honda did to the AP2. Yes, it's less likely to bite you in the ass. But it's also more inert and less adjustable. I remember when we took our AP2 press car to ButtonWillow and played on the skidpad. You could not get the thing to drift the rear. It would just squat, grip at the rear and lighten the fronts into terminal understeer. I think I knew at that point I'd never buy an AP2 unless I wanted to revamp the entire chassis.

And of course, I will point out that my AP1, with completely stock suspension geometry save a rear bump adjustment kit (since I lowered the car) won the Import Tuner FR shootout last year - so that chassis ain't all bad ;)

SC
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 22:00
Thank you all for your responses.

I can see benefits of one over the other so it is a tough choice. AP1 is more of a type R sort of mentality, but engine and tranny could both use help. I guess I can always put that Kia 4.77 FD in it, it certainly has enough RPM to handle it.

AP2 (2006+) can use Flashpro and that is a MAJOR plus. Even with AP2 I would probably use RX8/Miata 4.44 final drive anyway. Newer car plus few nice touches on it. As much as the older engine can rev, one can't really compare the power delivery of the two.

For all of you that have driven gen1 TSX you will understand where I am coming from. K24 engine with stock ecu is absolute enigma, not sure why they even bothered putting that vtec in. To this day I don't understand what Honda was thinking. Add flashpro, traction control, 06+ civic Si gearing, 5.062 final drive and TSX turns into something one can enjoy.
AP2 with F22C has the drivetrain that is ready for this transformation. But it would appear that chassis is lacking in some serious way.
F20 driveline has nothing left, it is maxed out from Honda save 4.77 final drive. Now, this would give it some serious motivation and given better chassis might be some sort of manageable compromise.

Either way, it would appear that both need some help so it might just come down to what turns out to be a better deal in the end.
Regards,

Nino
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 01:50
I know on my AP2 when I had it, I would always have to turn off VSA when I would go auto-x it, if left on it was a HUGE hindrance to driving it hard. Actually, I pretty much turned it off every moment I started it up. Thankfully Honda leaves that up to the driver. My suspension was stock with the only change being the CR front and rear stabilizers that I got for free from a $500 gift certificate raffle from a Honda meet on Guam. It was unfortunate that I was on Guam with the car, was even worse than being on Okinawa with my old, deceased DC5R. Now I'm up here in mainland Japan and throw a Fit (literally) around circuits up here due to a lack of power, though still puts a smile on my face because it does handle quite well with all the crap I have done to it.

I've only driven an AP1 when renting one on Okinawa years and years ago. They both have their pluses and minuses as already pointed out by many here. If I had to choose one, well I definitely think I would go back to an AP2, I had K-Pro on mine (before they released FlashPro) and had the limiter set to 8600 and VTEC came on at 4900 if I remember correctly, was using an Amuse exmani, cat delete and J's 70mm exhaust and it was a joy to drive to the limits I was limited to by being on Guam and only having auto-x.

Either way you go, just know you are going to enjoy the car, though you did say you are not looking to take it on circuit. For me, I just don't see the point in one if it won't be driven where it was designed to be. That's me though and you are you.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 05:20
I think the beauty of the S2000 is, that like the 86, it's quite accessible as a road car too!

It's not so track-focussed (like an Elise/Exige) that it can be a PIA as an everyday car. And its ability to join up some open backroad corners obviates the need for a race track...

But yes, even if you only do one or two track days, you will learn how to drive it properly and that it's not too shabby for a supposedly torqueless-wonder road car. There is a reason many trackday instructors like the S2000.

I don't think in this day and age, we'll ever quite see its like again. The closest seems to be the Alfa 4C, which has been developed to feel 'alive' even at modest speeds, unlike a boring old Boxster.

JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 12:20
notyper wrote:
I'm pretty much with Jeff.

I can definitely acknowledge the superiority of the F22C for most applications though. While I adore the 9000 rpm glory of the F20C, the F22C punches out more power, is more usable, and has more potential (and is a bit better built). In fact, had not Honda hamstrung the F22 with the same VTEC point and the absurd 8000 rpm redline, I don't think anyone could argue that the F22 isn't better. With a 5500 rpm VTEC point and 8500 rpm limiter (FlashPro!) its no contest. And like Jeff, I feel the AP2 tranny is definitely a step up.

Chassis wise, I really _don't_ like what Honda did to the AP2. Yes, it's less likely to bite you in the ass. But it's also more inert and less adjustable. I remember when we took our AP2 press car to ButtonWillow and played on the skidpad. You could not get the thing to drift the rear. It would just squat, grip at the rear and lighten the fronts into terminal understeer. I think I knew at that point I'd never buy an AP2 unless I wanted to revamp the entire chassis.

And of course, I will point out that my AP1, with completely stock suspension geometry save a rear bump adjustment kit (since I lowered the car) won the Import Tuner FR shootout last year - so that chassis ain't all bad ;)

SC

Strange. Both my 2004 and 2008 would drift without any issues. My 2004 was especially fun but my 2008 would easily drift. But, very stable day-to-day for standard driving conditions.

With 225/255 setup on my 2004, it would four-wheel drift perfectly at the track - very balanced - with the stock suspension and UK alignment.

Maybe the more aggressive UK alignment made a difference?
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 13:51
Doubt it. This was a nice, smooth, grippy skidpad. Start going in circles, and then when you're near the limit, apply more throttle. Front end would just wash wide. Very disappointing. It was a better setup for autocross, but less so for road course work.

SC
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 14:02
When mine was on the (discontinued) S-02s, it would do beautiful four-wheel drifts.

The 7.5" Mugen GPs (RE050s) seem to give too much front-end grip for that and the rear twangs round under power - just like the 86 does, in fact!

Obviously, a proper '04 (140) has the lowered rear roll centre and different ARBs; maybe that's why mine is different. I've not tried the stock 7 x 17" on the front, for comparo.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 19:14
Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly. I'm not talking about tossing the car into a corner and drifting out. Try hard enough and you can even make a FWD car do that (no offense to ITRs or Focus STs).

Rather, I'm saying that under a static lateral acceleration condition (skidpad), as you approach the limits the terminal state of the AP2 was understeer, and throttle application in an attempt to invoke oversteer would not. The back was resolutely planted. Conversely, if you tried that in an AP1, especially a 00-01, you would find yourself in a very rapid oversteer situation - the S02s were certainly part of that, going to Toyo RA-1s slowed down the snap quite a bit - but the chassis was setup to be knife edge neutral at the limit. Something the AP2 was not IMO.

Nothing you couldn't fix with some suspension adjustments, but there you have it.

SC
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 05:30
Right - the knife edge thing is what I most miss about coming away from S-02s. It was that utter precision, which many could not handle.

It really made one feel like a Walter Mitty F1 driver!

IKEWYM!
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 12:35
Nick GravesX wrote:
Right - the knife edge thing is what I most miss about coming away from S-02s. It was that utter precision, which many could not handle.

IKEWYM!

Sure as hell made a better driver out of me. Self-preservation instincts do wonders to focus the mind!

SC
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 12:42
notyper wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

IKEWYM!

Sure as hell made a better driver out of me. Self-preservation instincts do wonders to focus the mind!

SC

:D

Agreed. I thought I could drive and the S2K had a different opinion...
RyanDL
Profile for RyanDL
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 13:34
notyper wrote:
Maybe I'm not explaining myself properly. I'm not talking about tossing the car into a corner and drifting out. Try hard enough and you can even make a FWD car do that (no offense to ITRs or Focus STs).

Rather, I'm saying that under a static lateral acceleration condition (skidpad), as you approach the limits the terminal state of the AP2 was understeer, and throttle application in an attempt to invoke oversteer would not. The back was resolutely planted. Conversely, if you tried that in an AP1, especially a 00-01, you would find yourself in a very rapid oversteer situation - the S02s were certainly part of that, going to Toyo RA-1s slowed down the snap quite a bit - but the chassis was setup to be knife edge neutral at the limit. Something the AP2 was not IMO.

Nothing you couldn't fix with some suspension adjustments, but there you have it.

SC

I agree with this. More aggressive alignments can tweak this a bit, but the AP2 is just not as "raw" as the AP1. Stock vs. stock, you need to decide if you want the more..."exciting" chassis or more power. That's not to say the AP2 isn't good on the track -- it is.

Of course, once you begin tossing aftermarket parts into the mix, it's anyone's game.

Ryan
s2kx2
Profile for s2kx2
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-05-2013 11:36
I own both a 2001 AP-1 and a 2005 AP-2. In my opinion they are completely different cars. The AP-1 will bite you with little or no warning (remedied or slightly tamed by going to the Euro alignment specs). The AP-2 is more forgiving of driver induced errors and is a little more predictable and more comfortable on long trips. It was explained to me at the S2000 Homecoming that the CR was basically a return to the AP-1 with very minor refinements to rigidity, suspension, aerodynamics, etc. In short what you would feel most comfortable with would be the best choice. That said, unless you have a garage and are willing to take additional security measures. I cannot recommend owning an S2000. Thefts are on the rise again sadly.
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-05-2013 22:10
Thank you.
The Legend
Profile for The Legend
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2013 22:47
I wonder if anyone has seen this clip from Best Motoring .

AP1 vs AP2 all things being equal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdOU-yyZ_w
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Question to owners of S2000 (past and present) Which to get? AP1 or AP2 all things being equal    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2013 01:18
The Legend wrote:
I wonder if anyone has seen this clip from Best Motoring .

AP1 vs AP2 all things being equal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtdOU-yyZ_w

That wasn't really a battle between the AP1 and AP2. :) The Japanese AP1 received the AP2 bumper before it went to a F22C. It did of course receive suspension tweaks and went to 17" wheels.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0