[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Pilot --> Re: Pilot Spy Shots
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Valid reason for an ILX Type-S 2.0t/SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX production
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dodge unveils 204 mph Charger Hellcat
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: N22B
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Beware
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Weight distribution
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I drove the TLX V6 Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Repair and Maintenance > > Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-01-2013 20:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Shortly after purchasing my 2008 honda civic si sedan I started getting a noise from the rear of the car when applying the brakes at low speeds, My first thought was to lube all the moving parts on the brakes which I did with permatex brake lube. This solved the problem but only for about 2 months and then the noise returned. My next thought was a warped rotor so I replaced the rear rotors and pads with Wagner Thermoquiet ceramic pads and ATE rotors, lubed all the parts and then noise again went away and the brakes have never been quieter. 1 week later the noise has returned. Now my plan is to try and replace the floating pins and see if this is the culprit but before I go any further I was hoping I could get some insight from the TOV to see if any one else has experienced this issue.

Thanks in Advance

Clayman
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 00:16
If lube makes the noise go away, then you've found the problem. Try lubing one part at a time until you find the defective part.
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 00:27
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"
If lube makes the noise go away, then you've found the problem. Try lubing one part at a time until you find the defective part.

Well thats why I was thinking of replacing the slider pins as the pads and rotors are new, the only thing left to my knowledge that gets lube is the slider pins. Thanks for responding that is a very logical way of looking at it. I was hoping someone who has had this issue in the past could give me some fresh insight.
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 16:18
Update! So when out went out driving today I figured out that the rear brakes only make noise when stopping while going forward and are silent when going into reverse.
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 12:50
So I went to the local brake specialty store today and talked to one of the mechanics and he drove the car. Based on what I have already done and the information I provided he suggested i relube the slider pins with a different and new tube of brake lube. So I am going to try this and I will let everyone know the results.
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 17:41
Update, so I purchased some new permatex high temp brake lube and lubed and inspected the slider pins today. I found some wear on the slider pins which leads me to believe there was insuficient lubrication on the slider pins. I relubed the rear pins and reinstalled everything. Went for a good long drive and they are silent I am pretty sure the issue was the age and quality of the brake lube I was using but the only way to be sure is to wait a week or two and see if the noise returns. I will update again. I realize no one has commented on this so either nobody knows or nobody cares either way it is here to help someone in the future.

Thanks

Clayman
Clayman
Profile for Clayman
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-10-2013 22:17
So it has been about a week since I lubed the rear brake pins with the new permatex lube and the "creaking" noise has not returned so I am thinking I am in the clear and this issue is fixed, if it returns I will update again.
garoto628
Profile for garoto628
Re: 8th gen civic si rear brakes "Creaking"    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-11-2013 02:42
For some reason noises from the brakes have never bothered me, there is so much weight on a car.

However, whether thet noise returns or not, you have localized your issue and it is clearly not a big deal. Two metals rub against each other and make noise. Lube cures the issue for as long as the lube has not worn out, once it happens again all that needs to be done is to apply more lube, since thet lube wore out.

The other solution would be to prevent the cause of the metal rubbing against metal from occurring: the lube cures the symptom, the metal to metal rubbin prevention cures the cause. However, I think you'll find it unoddly difficult to prevent that rubbing from occurring, so I think the lube is the safest bid, likely once every other gas fillup.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy