[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic Tourer - Facelift Spied
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Tawny
Profile for Tawny
Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 14:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am in a quandary. The timing chain in my 2003 Accord went two weeks ago and I am currently renting a car through RelayRide (highly recommend it-paying $350/mo for a 2006 Civic). I really want the Hybrid; in fact, I may be obsessed with it. But I just learned from Honda (not the dealership, I have friends at corporate) that the Hybrid is going to be delayed until November.

Why am I so obsessed with the Hybrid? Does it actually make sense to buy it as soon as it comes out? Would I be better off buying a used Civic or Accord at around $12K and then selling it privately in six months? I'm in agony; I just can't decide what to do. Luckily, money is not the biggest issue for me but I have always been happy with the Accord. But I could just buy a new EX-L today.

Any advice? I just don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 14:10
I would buy a new 2013 I-4 EX-L today. Since they are readily available, you will be able to negotiate a really good deal, especially at the end of the model year and still get great gas mileage.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 14:14
Tawny wrote:
I am in a quandary. The timing chain in my 2003 Accord went two weeks ago and I am currently renting a car through RelayRide (highly recommend it-paying $350/mo for a 2006 Civic). I really want the Hybrid; in fact, I may be obsessed with it. But I just learned from Honda (not the dealership, I have friends at corporate) that the Hybrid is going to be delayed until November.

Why am I so obsessed with the Hybrid? Does it actually make sense to buy it as soon as it comes out? Would I be better off buying a used Civic or Accord at around $12K and then selling it privately in six months? I'm in agony; I just can't decide what to do. Luckily, money is not the biggest issue for me but I have always been happy with the Accord. But I could just buy a new EX-L today.

Any advice? I just don't know what to do. Thanks in advance.

you could probably buy a late model civic or accord (private sale) and sell it later for not much of a loss. That would probably be cheaper than renting something at $350 a month for potentially 6 months or more.

I don't know what the supply situation will be like for the Accord Hybrid or how many they will plan to build. It may be that you're paying full MSRP or maybe even a bit more than that for a while on it if demand is strong. From the one prototype Accord Hybrid that I drove last November, I think people will really like it - great mileage and basically zero hybrid penalty (apart from the reduced cargo area)
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 14:24
What would it cost you to get an independent shop to drop a rebuilt or salvage engine in your Accord? That might be a quick stopgap, as you would not be paying rent, and would still have a valuable 2003 Accord when you want to get your hybrid.
Slawsk
Profile for Slawsk
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-02-2013 16:17
I will buy your accord as is and give you a loaner car until the hybrid is available.

Trust me, the hybrid is totally worth the wait.

Regards,

Andrew
Tawny
Profile for Tawny
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 15:23
Slawsk, I would take you up on your offer right now.

After reading above, I decided I want to wait for the Hybrid. The sales tax alone on a used car would be over $1,000 here in Maryland and I think I will just stick with the rental since it is a solid car and the rental fee will be the same. I guess I now need to contact the dealership and ask if I can get anything for my old car. I assume it was worth about $3.5K before I blew the timing chain. Sometimes I'm just a dumb blonde on these things.

Maybe I should donate it and take a tax write-off.

Thank you all for responding.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 17:30
Tawny wrote:
Sometimes I'm just a dumb blonde on these things.

No, you're just fine. This is a dumb blonde and her car . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM6x1iK-XY8

Slawsk
Profile for Slawsk
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-03-2013 18:32
Tawny give me a call.

Tawny
Profile for Tawny
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-04-2013 16:30
Slawsk, I called twice and got voicemail. I keep vacillating on what to do. Now I am thinking I should just pay to repair it-it's $2K and I could sell it privately for about $3,500 I imagine with a new engine. The car is now sitting in front of my house. I lost a $3K diamond earring and I am pretty sure it is in the car.

I wish I could decide what to do. A very close friend who sells auto parts is recommending fixing it now, saving the next two months of rental, and either trading it is or selling it. I am in agony. Everyone's argument makes so much sense.
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-05-2013 09:52
Tawny,

A little off topic but can you share the mileage on your Accord?

I have a TSX and my father has an Accord similar to yours and I was thinking the chains should go at least 200K - am I wrong?

The new Hybrid sounds great and I wish you the best in your decision making process!
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-05-2013 10:20
If you service that car at a Honda dealer, I am surprised no one mentioned replacement.
Tawny
Profile for Tawny
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2013 15:58
I'm back. My mom has been in the hospital for more than a week and the only Internet service I had was on my phone and now that has died. I still have the old Accord but I am using my mother's car and have returned the rental. That's not a long-term solution.

DCR-the dealership said it would be $2K just to look at the car and I knew I could get a used engine installed for about the same amount.

I still haven't decided what to do, but I guess that in itself is a decision. Slawsky, I owe you some pictures but I am at my mother's house right now and haven't been home in a week.

Thanks.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2013 18:33
$2k to LOOK AT the car?

Find a new dealership, or take it to a sane independent.

HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-19-2013 23:34
DCR wrote:
$2k to LOOK AT the car?

Find a new dealership, or take it to a sane independent.

I have to chime in here.....I hope your mother is doing better and maybe because your mom was sick you, mis-posted about the $2,000. The dealer would be pretty sure what happened, there is a simple test to determine if the belt snapped.......It's an $85.00 fee at our dealer......

Now, if you have a 4cyl, it has a Chain in 2003, not a belt.....So if that chain snapped, you have/had a problem.....I think if you fix it you will get that back??? Plus another 2 grand if it's a V6 LX, if it is an EXL V6 then you will get about $6 or $7K if it is in good shape, the A/C works and it has around 80K on it......

dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2013 10:09
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Tawny,

I have a TSX and my father has an Accord similar to yours and I was thinking the chains should go at least 200K - am I wrong?

The new Hybrid sounds great and I wish you the best in your decision making process!

I was told that timing chains (from the 4 cylinder) doesn't need to be changed. The timing belt (from the 6 cylinder) should be changed every 90,000 miles.
Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2013 11:25
dootndo2 wrote:
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Tawny,

I was told that timing chains (from the 4 cylinder) doesn't need to be changed. The timing belt (from the 6 cylinder) should be changed every 90,000 miles.

I've got over 168K on my 07 Accord and the timing chain so far is going strong...the shocks and struts though are SHOT. $1200 to repair them and I'm just not going to spend that kind of money...my dealer says my chain should last until about 250K miles though. I love my Accord but its clearly time for something new.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-20-2013 16:17
Rgist85 wrote:
dootndo2 wrote:
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Tawny,

I've got over 168K on my 07 Accord and the timing chain so far is going strong...the shocks and struts though are SHOT. $1200 to repair them and I'm just not going to spend that kind of money...my dealer says my chain should last until about 250K miles though. I love my Accord but its clearly time for something new.

Don't sell the car. An independent shop should be able to replace the shocks and even the springs for about $600. You don't have to have the dealer do that for you.
CarmB
Profile for CarmB
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2013 08:33
My experience has been that you want to be negotiating from a position of strength because God knows dealerships are not going to be particularly generous. If you buy yourself time, that improves that position. If the 2003 Accord can be repaired for less than what it's worth (I suspect that an honest shop could certainly provide that) then it makes sense.

If you negotiate from the position of desperately wanting a particular model and on top of that are spending $350 a month renting a car, good luck getting a decent deal done.

If a dealership tells you it's $2,000 just to look at the Accord, time for a second opinion. It sounds suspiciously like this is a case of wanting to sell you a new car, give you next to nothing to take the Accord off your hands, repair it, and then make a fine profit selling it for top dollar. Great for the dealership, not so much for you.

If the Accord is not a write-off, and it sounds like it's not a write-off, don't let someone else profit excessively from this scenario at your expense.
Tawny
Profile for Tawny
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2013 17:16
I'm home for an hour for clean clothes then back to my mother's house where I only have Internet access on my phone. My car is a 2003 Accord with a perfect interior, no rust but both bumpers are pretty banged up because I use valet parking a lot in parking garages. Car definitely has timing chain, not belt. Accord has 165,000 miles on it, has had all scheduled service except the last oil change. I have no idea why it died. Dealership said it could be from lack of lubrication, which means it's my fault since I missed an oil change. But the oil light wasn't on or anything like that. It's still sitting here in front of my house and I haven't even had a second to think about it, outside of dropping a line to my friend who works for Honda Corporate. Sad state of affairs. And yes, the dealership, Ourisman Honda in Bethesda, Maryland, said that it would be $2,000 to get to the timing chain and they didn't know what else then would find once they got in there. I have found an engine which will cost $2,100 including installation, but haven't done anything yet. I'm still wishing I could make a decision but with my mother's illness, I am just not caring much about the car.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2013 18:38
Yup, would appear the car matters none at the moment. Don't fret over it while you have more important matters on the plate.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: Buy 4Cyl Now or Wait for Hybrid    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-22-2013 18:46
When you're able to attend to your car again, and all of this has come to pass, I urge you to go on Yelp, find the three highest rated independent repair shops in your area, and explain your scenario to them.

Basically, they can probably fix your car for less than $2000. I know you have a lot on your plate, but please do not be despondent about your transportation scenario due to merely one dealer's opinion.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy