[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving Honda - The Book
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: New Michelin model anytime soon?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> F1 - 2014 Italian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RLX > > Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author
  Post New Thread
mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-03-2013 20:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Brother Acura wrote:
I've been driving this car for a while now. I'm not a professional auto reviewer but I am an engineer and I've owned Mercedes, Lexus and Audi. I've also been buying Acuras since 1989. This car is by far the best all around car that I've driven. The build quality is beyond reproach. It's quiet as a vault and handles like a much smaller car. The P-AWS system is just incredibly well engineered. I can not tell that this is FWD car. I've had three SH-AWD Acuras and I find the P-AWS actually more fun and responsive at the speeds I regularly drive at. The ride at highway speed is perfectly suited to my tastes (firm but compliant) and I really haven't noticed any of the low speed ride harshness that has been mentioned. I'll admit that the exterior styling is not awe inspiring but I find it quite elegant in a buttoned down, understated sort of way. I think the look will wear well over time. Acura consistently does a great job with interior design and the RLX is, in my opinion, their best effort to date.

I've read all the reviews (thanks TSX69) and they are all over the place. The CR review, in fact most of this year's CR evaluations, is so far off the mark they've lost credibility for me. Honestly, I don't get all this bitchin' about the car. I don't think many of these nay-sayers have the balls to admit that Acura may have done something remarkable here using something other then their precious FR layout. Yes, perhaps I'm an Acura fan-boy and the RLX has made me feel pretty good about that. Well done Acura. Thanks for a terrific automobile.

YOu are not missing anything. The RLX is a fantastic luxury car, great for miles of high speed touring. forget the OPINIONS of the ricer street racing punks on here, the RLX was never intented for them anyway.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 01:03
mobis21 wrote:

YOu are not missing anything. The RLX is a fantastic luxury car, great for miles of high speed touring. forget the OPINIONS of the ricer street racing punks on here, the RLX was never intented for them anyway.

What Honda do you currently own?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 09:29
garoto628 wrote:
I don't know what's wrong with Acura's Marketing team, but somebody may need to dust off their resume:

Chevy Nova anyone?

P-AWS = Paws = Pause

They have a version with a tiny ride height adjuster built in;

The Micro Electronic Niveau Oscillator - Precision All Wheel Steer.

But apparently marketing said it wouldn't sell.
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 10:00
Nick GravesX wrote:
garoto628 wrote:
I don't know what's wrong with Acura's Marketing team, but somebody may need to dust off their resume:

Chevy Nova anyone?

P-AWS = Paws = Pause

They have a version with a tiny ride height adjuster built in;

The Micro Electronic Niveau Oscillator - Precision All Wheel Steer.

But apparently marketing said it wouldn't sell.

LOL!
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 14:07
mobis21 wrote:

Who are you calling a ricer punk mobis21? Hmm? Start naming names son....

SC
mobis21
Profile for mobis21
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 14:31
notyper wrote:
mobis21 wrote:

SC

You for one. Shawn, just because you are a fat middle aged dude doesn't mean you still aren't a ricer at heart. We all read your rants and see what you build.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 14:43
mobis21 wrote:
notyper wrote:
mobis21 wrote:

SC

You for one. Shawn, just because you are a fat middle aged dude doesn't mean you still aren't a ricer at heart. We all read your rants and see what you build.

I vote this guy be banned!!
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 16:44
CivicB18 wrote:
mobis21 wrote:
notyper wrote:
mobis21 wrote:

SC

I vote this guy be banned!!

I vote that we put mobis21 into his prized Pontiac Aztec and send him packing !!

NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 16:51
Funny how there's always someone ready to step in to the (recently) vacated spot in the queue...
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 17:08
mobis21 wrote:
notyper wrote:
mobis21 wrote:

SC

Aww, poor kid, you don't even know the definition of rice, do you? Why don't you go ask sadlerau why he decided against an RLX (being a former RL owner and owner of a K20 powered Civic hatch)?

But alas, poor impulse control claims another victim - then again you've been spoiling for this for awhile, but I didn't think you'd hang yourself so quickly. Your registration information is already in violation of terms of service, but I let it slide till now.

Should you ever wish to express your opinion to my fat middle aged ass, feel free to stop by the shop. Considering this is the 2nd time you've been banned (3rd even?), that might be your best bet. And I always enjoy the dichotomy between people's internet personalities and their real selves. Be sure to tell me your screen name when you stop by - be proud of who you are.

SC

Last edited by notyper on 08-04-2013 17:11
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 17:20
NealX wrote:
Funny how there's always someone ready to step in to the (recently) vacated spot in the queue...

Seems like its the same couple guys reregistering. But they just can't change their spots.....

SC
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 18:24
Just epic. Next?

I have always been and will continue to be severely confused by some of the idiots on this forum.

1. This isn't Honda.com, so you aren't under some protection service because you praise the brand for absolutely everything they do.

2. This is an enthusiast forum first, and everything else second. Attacking people for supporting and/or longing for enthusiasts offerings is the most ignorant move you can make, as it will paint a target on your back in short order.

3. Never bite the hand that feeds. We are all guests here. Taking a direct shot at one of the old guard will get you dropped on your head, and will gain you nothing of value besides a muting, which is exactly what most of the people like little mobis needs.

garoto628
Profile for garoto628
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 03:17
Unbelievable. Yes the spot in the queue was vacant, and is again. Lol
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 06:04
garoto628 wrote:
Unbelievable. Yes the spot in the queue was vacant, and is again. Lol

Here is Mobis21 being launched from the queue (aka passenger seat DB5).

Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 07:22
notyper wrote:
I think its a case of what you don't know can't hurt you. That is how the saying goes, right? ;)

Or maybe "you don't know what you don't know" is more apropos?

The RLX may be perfectly fine for some, but that doesn't mean that it isn't lacking in some pretty specific areas.

But do tell, what has Acura done with the RLX that is so remarkable (in a good way)?

SC

Notyper, I have to admit that this caught my eye because I read it to mean if I don't understand why the RLX is a poor choice for a luxury car I must be deficient in some way. You don't know what you don't know is just another way of saying someone isn't smart enough to agree with you. I read the OP's comment (I'd say the OP likes the new RLX more than just a little) and thought maybe the RLX is just another Acura which means to say it offers just about everything the typical luxury sedan buyer wants and actually needs yet the media continues to mark it down for losing a few 10ths thru a slalom or a few percentage points on power and torque. I think the RLX looks okay, it's certainly not a show stopper, but it is the conservative sedan many folks say they want right up to the point they change their minds and buy that 500hp car.

My question is why would any luxury sedan buyer buy a BMW, M-B or Audi based on how the car feels when it breaks loose in a fast sweeper? I'm positive those brands are sold on styling, driving dynamics at legal speeds, and brand appeal. There is nothing wrong with any of that. I've never known anyone who routinely dialed in oversteer on their commute to work, I've never seen anyone in traffic doing so who wasn't most likely drunk, and of the people I've known who do drive at the limit they all do so on autocross courses which is where you'll never find a 7-series sedan or an A8, or any Acura other than Integras, RSXs and such. Yes, I do understand driving dynamics but I also understand how boring many high-end cars are today at any speed reasonably legal in the US, Acura SH-AWD cars included. The M-Bs I've driven, on public roads, left me with being impressed with my gas mileage. Having a bomber's target on the hood isn't enough to make me buy an expensive boring car.

Perhaps in answering the OP's question, I bet the RLX does a remarkable job in filling the exact role for which it was intended by Honda. The better question for Honda is why would they think a smart luxury sedan for real world use would find that many buyers. Most folks seem to want to spend that extra $30k US for the capabilities built into their cars which they will never use, or the brand of course. My issue all along with the RLX, as with the RL, is price - I think it is indeed expensive for what you get.

This discussion prompted me to look at the mid-size sedans in the inventories of my local M-B, BMW and Audi dealers and I found nothing within $10k of the RLX. If the PAWS thing actually works I think I'd rather save that money and pick the car which isn't going to bore me to death in traffic but then I don't trade cars every two years.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 10:36
Grace141 let me try and explain why I, the current owner of an '06 Legend, decided not to wait for the eventual, much delayed release of the LegendX or whatever it will be called here in Australia [we still don't have an on sale date].

My '06 Legend was, to my eyes, a reasonably smart looking, sporty sedan, which is what first attracted me. But after sampling SH-AWD which I experienced on the Honda pre-release ride day [I was not allowed to drive it] on a tight race track driven by an experienced race car driver, I was hooked. With my experience of motorsport I instantly recognized the brilliance of SH-AWD, and the inherent good handling of the Australian Legend [which has a slightly different suspension set-up than your RL]. It's engine performance was more than adequate, so I instantly decided to buy one, even though I could easily have afforded to buy German machinery costing 50% more, feature for feature, in Australian dollars at the time.

Roll on 7 years and I eagerly anticipated the release of the RLX, salivating at the prospect of eSH-AWD, hybrid fuel saving and in HONDA AFVM's words strikingly styled bodywork [at least that was what was promised].

Now a luxury purchase is mainly one of emotion - I don't need a luxury car, I WANT it. And call me vain, but if I'm stumping up a wheelbarrow load of credit I would like the vehicle to look flashy, but not too ostentatious! Imagine my disappointment when the first RLX Concept photos appeared. Gone was the "athletic" taughtly drawn, smart looking sedan of 2005 [even if it did show it's Accord heritage, something I had no problem with, having owned examples in the 70s and 80s], and replaced by a stodgy formal sedan. No hint of sportiness or athleticism.

So I was instantly put off the new car. It did not instill any desire, none. If the eSH-AWD proves to be a ground shaker it may have had more appeal, but no one [out side of Honda development engineers] knows! So I needed to replace my Legend, but with what? I have always admired Audi's styling, meeting my criteria of flashy but not over-stylized. So I went for a test drive of a Q5 thinking that was what I was after. But the A6 Allroad sitting on the showroom floor caught my eye and it was love at first sight!! :)

Now as I have written many times already, the Legend was not perfect, but it was a darn sight better than most motoring journalists gave it credit for. Adjustable suspension, 6 speed gearbox and Sport mode engine/gearbox mapping would have made it just about perfect for me. Oh and a fix for the wooden, inconsistent steering feel. I loved it, even took it to the track and showed some pukka race sedans how to corner, but the track did show up it was down a few horsepower to be a proper sports sedan. No matter, it was 95% of perfection for me.

Roll on 2012, and the Audi A6 with its multiple modes of adjustable suspension, 7 speed DCT and turbo'ed diesel V6 with 580Nm of torque makes the Legend seem pedestrian in normal city traffic. But it's NOT a better luxury conveyance than the Legend, just more up to date. It certainly doesn't handle anywhere near as well as the SH-AWD shod Legend, nor does the Audi S5 I tried with the optional torque vectoring drivetrain. It isn't as comfortable as the Legend either. But it does look a LOT more modern and smart, inside and out, though I prefer the ergonomics of the Legend [yes I do appreciate the myriad buttons]!

So in finishing I can believe the RLX is a fabulous car at what it does, but it is not the car for me, and call me shallow, and I know looks are subjective, but on looks alone it doesn't make the grade. Not in that demographic.

Will it be more successful than the RL? Probably not, because to me, Acura selling cars in the luxury/sub luxury segment doesn't seem to understand the market? It's not about "smart luxury" but about luxury!
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 11:20
Great reply.

One drawback; it's like a 911 in that you have to be committed to a corner and if something baulks you, then it reverts to understeer. Or else you come out of a tightening S-bend in a four-wheel drift. Which is fun.

I can see how eSHAWD would fix that, by using -ve torque across the rear axle. That would be brilliant.

The other thing is, I've not seen an RLX and I know Hondas are not photogenic.

None of which will save sales (too late now) but it doesn't mean it's not a good car. Just another one that doesn't have showroom appeal.

I personally preferred the original Allroad, when they were less overtly snarly and aggressive and were sort of clean & elegant. And still very classy inside.

That's the sort of Audi that should be an RLX now. Not exactly Audi, but something more like Audi.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 14:15
It's not just about being able to handle well but more of how it goes about its business when asked to handle. This is my issue with the RLX along with the snoozefest styling. Go back and look at the comparison Jeff made with the 535i and the RLX. The 5 in the video required less input from the driver to respond faster and this generation of the 5 is supposed to be the most disconnected yet the RLX still falls short.

This also reminds me of my test drive of an automatic 2011 CTS 3.6 and an automatic TL SH-AWD. While the TL had more grip (due to the traction advantages of the AWD system) I still prefered the CTS's driving experience better. Why? It felt more natural, it had a much hugher level of tactile performance, it was more fun to drive and the car as a whole was much more eager to play while the TL just seemed to tolerate playing. With that said, the RLX to me is a good leisurely boulevard cruiser (think Cadillac XTS AWD) and NOT the competitive mid size sport/luxury sedan Acura claims this car to be. Ito needs to bring back the RWD mule that he cancelled!!
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 14:59
Yet over on AZ, the buyers like the 'understated' styling, the tech (main selling point, from a straw poll) and the P-AWS since they are not likely to slalom it.

I suppose it's more of a Volvo than a BMW! That's great if you have an S2000 or something in your garage.

...which rather implies that Honda needs to offer a more 'involving' second car as well as the RLX!
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 17:12
Nick GravesX wrote:
Yet over on AZ, the buyers like the 'understated' styling, the tech (main selling point, from a straw poll) and the P-AWS since they are not likely to slalom it.

I suppose it's more of a Volvo than a BMW! That's great if you have an S2000 or something in your garage.

...which rather implies that Honda needs to offer a more 'involving' second car as well as the RLX!

I think I as well as others want that balance of attributes. You CAN have comfort, style, technology, tactile performance, luxury, acceleration, efficiency and a great chassis all in one car. Acura seems to think that Jewel Eye Headlights and rear seat legroom will wow consumers. That and the fact they they still continue to offer this car with one drivetrain (until the eSH-AWD model comes) then if you want a higher performing RLX Acura forces consumers to buy a hybrid. With that said I honestly do not thin that Acura has a clue how to build a proper sporty/luxury vehicle as there are just too many compromises.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 18:14
notyper wrote:
A.W.E.S.O.M. - O wrote:

Just drove my friend's '13 BMW 328i (the 2.0 turbo with 240 hp) she bought for $48K. Uhh ... that thing is a shitbox for chicks. They even screwed up the styling with the bizarre front end treatment. I kept asking myself, where is the extra $24K BMW spent vs. a '13 Accord Sport. Couldn't find it.

Well hopefully she wasn't dumb enough to _buy_ it. The only smart move with most of your German lux cars these days is a lease. A lease on a $42k 328i is $3500 down and $349/month.

Leasing an Accord Sport is going to cost you about $250/month and $2500 down for a $24k car (current LX lease deal is $219/month with $2300 down). For a lot of people, more power, RWD, better interior materials, and the BMW name are worth $100/month. Hell, for a lot of people, just the BMW name would be worth half that.

But I would never, ever buy a new BMW. They pretty much guarantee that with the MSRP vs. lease prices.

SC

Do you get the down payment back at the end of the lease?

3500 bucks is a lot of money when you think about it. That buys a nice pair of speakers and a good used audio amplifier...

I guess I'm stuck in the time when $20K was a lot of money to spend on a car.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 18:39
CivicB18 wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

I think I as well as others want that balance of attributes. You CAN have comfort, style, technology, tactile performance, luxury, acceleration, efficiency and a great chassis all in one car. Acura seems to think that Jewel Eye Headlights and rear seat legroom will wow consumers. That and the fact they they still continue to offer this car with one drivetrain (until the eSH-AWD model comes) then if you want a higher performing RLX Acura forces consumers to buy a hybrid. With that said I honestly do not thin that Acura has a clue how to build a proper sporty/luxury vehicle as there are just too many compromises.

I think that's fair comment well made; luxury cars have really always been outside of Honda's comfort zone and it was the sporting alternative (plus functionality) that really made the big Hondas.

But then, it's the acid test of hybrids; if the RLX and NSX deliver, there may be a future for them. I'm not prejudging.

If they are the CRZ Mk. 2 & 3, it's game over.

Buy a BMW. Or a Caddy; they seem to have realised their strength in powertrain/chassis engineering, partially inherited from Opel in Germany.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 18:45
notyper wrote:
I think its a case of what you don't know can't hurt you. That is how the saying goes, right? ;)

The RLX may be perfectly fine for some, but that doesn't mean that it isn't lacking in some pretty specific areas.

But do tell, what has Acura done with the RLX that is so remarkable (in a good way)?

SC

Lexus sells lots of cars... and yet they are nothing more than glorified Toyotas driven by people who just want a nicer Toyota.

So what if they're many of them are RWD? The typical Lexus buyer (like many BMW, Benz buyers) have no clue as Toyota does its darnest best to mask the difference between FWD and RWD.

So, then, why is the RLX/RL hit? Perhaps because the automotive press are like Candy Crowley over at CNN and they all fall in love with certain types to the complete denigration of everything else.

IMHO, the big deficiency in the Legend/RL/RLX is that it is (has been) the same size as the TL and -for most people- it's hard to justify the nicer interior that costs upwards of 10K over the TL.

And the "Candy Crowleys" of the automotive porn press don't help.

Personally I love the interior of the RL/RLX but I'm in that column who thinks the TL is "good enough for me". Perhaps the eSH-AWD RLX might change my mind, but the TLX looks more like my type.

notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 19:10
Grace141 wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Notyper, I have to admit that this caught my eye because I read it to mean if I don't understand why the RLX is a poor choice for a luxury car I must be deficient in some way. You don't know what you don't know is just another way of saying someone isn't smart enough to agree with you. I read the OP's comment (I'd say the OP likes the new RLX more than just a little) and thought maybe the RLX is just another Acura which means to say it offers just about everything the typical luxury sedan buyer wants and actually needs yet the media continues to mark it down for losing a few 10ths thru a slalom or a few percentage points on power and torque. I think the RLX looks okay, it's certainly not a show stopper, but it is the conservative sedan many folks say they want right up to the point they change their minds and buy that 500hp car.

I disagree Grace141. You don't know what you don't know is a mantra to live by IMO. It means that not only are there thing you'd like to know more about (but don't), but there are things that you don't even know exist. Thus, it's useful to try and expand your experience. When someone says that the RLX is fantastic and asks "what am I missing?", he's at least on some level acknowledging that he doesn't understand what the argument is about. That's step one.

Let me offer an example from my life. Go back 20 years when I first started modifying Hondas. The first part I put on my GS-R was a DC Sports short ram intake. Why? Because it was simpler than a CAI, didn't require any cutting, and sounded cool. Nothing wrong with choosing an intake for those reasons, right? I mean, it had features I found beneficial. Of course, what I didn't know, was that that cool sound came with a price - namely sucking in hot air. And that 1-2 hp gain on the dyno was more like a 5-10 hp loss on the street in super hot Phoenix, AZ where I lived. Later I found an intake called the Iceman intake, which, with a bit of modification, still had a cool sound, gained even more hp, didn't suffer from heat soak, etc. But it did cost a bit more.

The point I'm trying to make is that sometimes the reasons we do things, purchase things, want things, are completely contrary to functional purpose of those things - because we really don't know what we don't know.

The problem with the RLX is that it could be so much more, but Honda has chosen to avoid spending the money on a platform that would allow it to be such. As for the rest, I think others have done a good job in exploring the issues.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 19:27
TonyEX wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

Lexus sells lots of cars... and yet they are nothing more than glorified Toyotas driven by people who just want a nicer Toyota.

So what if they're many of them are RWD? The typical Lexus buyer (like many BMW, Benz buyers) have no clue as Toyota does its darnest best to mask the difference between FWD and RWD.

So, then, why is the RLX/RL hit? Perhaps because the automotive press are like Candy Crowley over at CNN and they all fall in love with certain types to the complete denigration of everything else.

IMHO, the big deficiency in the Legend/RL/RLX is that it is (has been) the same size as the TL and -for most people- it's hard to justify the nicer interior that costs upwards of 10K over the TL.

Personally I love the interior of the RL/RLX but I'm in that column who thinks the TL is "good enough for me". Perhaps the eSH-AWD RLX might change my mind, but the TLX looks more like my type.

Tony, go test drive a Lexus GS F-Sport then get back to me. It's a really good car! The Lexus IS350 has also been getting a lot of positive press of late mostly about how of a well rounded package it is.

The Cadillac ATS would be perfect if it had the drivetrain refinement and performance of the 335i. It's chassis is easily best in class yet it rides very comfortably. Acura has nothing that directly competes with these cars!
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 20:20
sadlerau wrote:
Grace141 let me try and explain why I, the current owner of an '06 Legend, decided not to wait for the eventual, much delayed release of the LegendX or whatever it will be called here in Australia [we still don't have an on sale date].

Sadlerau, I've no disagreement with anything you've said. I don't understand the direction of the RLX either in terms of the outcome for Acura. I think most of us agree that moving closer to Audi and away from Lexus would have been a better approach for the RLX but then I probably wouldn't buy one anyway. If I did buy a $60k luxury sedan today I'd take a long look at an A6 and I still like the E-class sedans.

I also agree on the brilliance of SH-AWD having been amazed by what it and a lot of weight can do for the handling of the lumber wagon that is the 1st gen RDX. Granted, at the cost of some gasoline. When I say SH-AWD turned the Acuras into boring driver's cars I mean it elevated the limits to such heights as to be way beyond most of us driving on public roads. Which is great, I guess, due to the safe results. I guess I miss the bit of uncertainty and fun that came with skinny tires even at legal, safer speeds.

I think the RLX looks like a great car. I too don't think it's the car Acura really needs right now nor the one to move them in a better direction for the future. Point blank, they should have just waited to offer the FWD-PAWS version until the eSH-AWD car was also ready to go. I've seen the RLX at my dealer - it's a nice looking car in person with a sharp stance and much better detailing than just about any other Honda or Acura including the MDX. Heck, I've even received some very nice offers for taking one off their hands but it seems like a more luxurious car for folks who probably would have bought a Honda or Acura anyway. Nothing wrong with that, I've bought my share.

If the OP finds the RLX to be a great driving car for the circumstances in mind and the feature set is appropriate then it just means the car may appeal to a different set of customers than did the previous RL. I respect that a lot. I'm certain the RLX would serve my transportation needs admirably. The right car for the right person is simply what we're talking about here. It does remain to be seen though how many folks are looking for an RLX.
Jesse
Profile for Jesse
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2013 02:01
I agree that the eSH-AWD should've been released first. I believe it is the main reason why the RLX is taking flak from reviewers - they only have the base model.

Style-wise, not a fan of the RLX. I dislike the front-fender bulge, I prefer something similar to the ILX or dare I say ZDX. The RLX is not a bad-looking car, it is quite elegant honestly. Again, they should've released the eSH-AWD first..
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2013 04:56
I think that is a point with which no-one disagrees! Plus it's still too close to being a TL LWB in the perception of many and that cannot be avoided on the existing plank.

It's also the danger on announcing a new model before you've really designed it...

The RL/X has the advantages of a big, luxurious Subaru and that's what some of us want.

I cannot say for certain the V8 RWD would have been any more successful (we don't know what we can't know!) with a beaky ZDX-alike design but it would seem that's what a lot of markets would actually prefer.
Power Of Dreams
Profile for Power Of Dreams
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-07-2013 18:31
TonyEX wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

So the LS460 with its exclusive powerplant and RWD platform is a "glorified Toyota" and the RLX isn't just a tarted-up Accord with a 4WS system? Riiiiiight.

Glenn Beck and Rachel Maddow can jointly endorse the RLX and it won't make a dent on its sales because it doesn't look or drive like it's worth the money, and it's overshadowed by it's competition.
Brother Acura
Profile for Brother Acura
Re: What am I missing? This car is fantastic.    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2013 16:59
Nick GravesX wrote:
I think that is a point with which no-one disagrees! Plus it's still too close to being a TL LWB in the perception of many and that cannot be avoided on the existing plank.

Nick,
Although the current TL and RLX are similar in size these are two very different cars. I turned in my TL Advance for this RLX and the contrasts are very obvious to me. The power delivery on the TL was strong but twitchy (especially off idle). The RLX power delivery is quite smooth through the entire range. There are lots of hard surfaces in the TL interior and some areas like the lower door panels that looked cheap to me. It is also a lot noisier than the RLX. The interior of the RLX is as refined and quiet as it gets. No hard surfaces and quiet as a vault. Rear seat room is clearly superior and the trunk space is well laid out and accessible. Also, as I said in the original post, I find P-AWS to be more fun to drive than SH-AWD. Don't get me wrong, I would not be without at least one SH-AWD vehicle (an MDX in my case) in my part of the country but P-AWS is much more accessible to my everyday driving style.

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0