[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
More.......................
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
More.......................
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
More.......................
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Professional Motorsports > > Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 20:51
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
With the sweep of the podium at the Mid-Ohio race (1-Kimball, 2-Pagenaud, 3-Franchitti), Honda pulled into a tie with Chevy-Ilmor in the manufacturer's championship.

I for one did not think that was possible after the Indy debacle.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 20:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
It's been a long time since I watched an Indycar race. I miss the (CART) days of Vasser, Zanardi, Tracy, Montoya, etc., but I did enjoy this one very much.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 23:30
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I would add that once the broadcast team figured out that there were going to be hugely divergent strategies, they did an excellent job keeping us up-to-date with lap times and pitstop deltas.

It's still not up to the quality of the Formula One broadcast team, but Leigh Diffy, Townsend Bell, and the guest broadcaster Ryan Briscoe did a great job.

Charlie Kimball drove a great race. All the top three did. The guys who were on the two stop strategy were smart to abandon it. At 42 laps I was thinking, they just lost the race. There was no way they were going to make up that track position without a yellow.

On a sidenote, isn't Marco Andretti the most surly, smarmy, cocky, irritating, two race winner you've ever seen interviewed? What is with Graham Rahal and Marco Andretti? They pale in comparison to their fathers accomplishments.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 00:45
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Colin wrote:

On a sidenote, isn't Marco Andretti the most surly, smarmy, cocky, irritating, two race winner you've ever seen interviewed? What is with Graham Rahal and Marco Andretti? They pale in comparison to their fathers accomplishments.



Sometimes the children of highly successful individuals internalize the greatness of their parent as their own. But without the hard work, learning to deal with failures and the simple act of walking the path to success that their parent endured, they don't have the humility or perspective to manage that falsely gained feeling of success.

It's kind of a double whammy - you really don't have the success or earned reputation that would lead to such attitude, but even if you did, you don't have the maturity to handle it either. Seems to happen a lot, especially when I child follows their parent into a similar career path.

SC
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 01:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Well put Shawn, but I wonder if it also reflects the younger generation and the values they have learned in society in general. They would be akin to the pop culture's young icons we all read about, who become train wrecks in their own lunchtime!

I'm reminded of the Brabham 2nd generation of drivers who are all complete and very balanced individuals, not to mention Damon Hill. Villenuve seemed to tread a middle ground, eccentric without stepping over to surly, at least in public?

Perhaps it is an American thing, as part of that pop culture world?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 01:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Don't forget that Mario was more in his life than Michael.And what do grandparents do to grandchildren? They spoil them!

When they become young adults,they don't deal with things when it doesn't go their way,everything was given to them so they do not know hard work or gain that drive to win that Mario had to learn to get out of the poor streets.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 02:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
While I don't follow NASCAR, I remember reading an article 20+ years ago. It was comparing the relative success of Davey Allison to Kyle Petty. When Davey wanted to go racing his dad said, here's a wrench, there's a car and get going. Whereas Kyle Petty got the best driving schools and all the support his dad could give him. We know how that turned out.

I think my main problem with Marco is not his lack of results, but rather the relative amount of cockiness to results. Don't you want to grab him, shake him, and say, "kid you've won exactly ONE more race than Charlie Kimball and Takuma Sato."

By all accounts his dad was a pretty grumpy, too, but at least he was competing or championships by the time he was in his third or fourth season. Marco is already in his seventh season.
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 10:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Colin wrote:
I think my main problem with Marco is not his lack of results, but rather the relative amount of cockiness to results. Don't you want to grab him, shake him, and say, "kid you've won exactly ONE more race than Charlie Kimball and Takuma Sato."

By all accounts his dad was a pretty grumpy, too, but at least he was competing or championships by the time he was in his third or fourth season. Marco is already in his seventh season.



I was a journalist when Michael was racing. He was the worst English-speaking race driver to deal with. Bar none.

Apple does not fall far from the tree in this case.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 15:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Bullwinkle wrote:
Colin wrote:
I think my main problem with Marco is not his lack of results, but rather the relative amount of cockiness to results. Don't you want to grab him, shake him, and say, "kid you've won exactly ONE more race than Charlie Kimball and Takuma Sato."

By all accounts his dad was a pretty grumpy, too, but at least he was competing or championships by the time he was in his third or fourth season. Marco is already in his seventh season.



I was a journalist when Michael was racing. He was the worst English-speaking race driver to deal with. Bar none.

Apple does not fall far from the tree in this case.


I can imagine. Most of that came through in the interviews the general public saw. At least he could back it up with wins and poles. He probably should have had at least one or two additional championships. And, (IMO) the field was more competitive talent wise back then.
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Honda sweeps Mid-Ohio; Pulls even with Chevy in Indycar    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 17:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Colin wrote:
Bullwinkle wrote:
Colin wrote:
I think my main problem with Marco is not his lack of results, but rather the relative amount of cockiness to results. Don't you want to grab him, shake him, and say, "kid you've won exactly ONE more race than Charlie Kimball and Takuma Sato."

By all accounts his dad was a pretty grumpy, too, but at least he was competing or championships by the time he was in his third or fourth season. Marco is already in his seventh season.



I was a journalist when Michael was racing. He was the worst English-speaking race driver to deal with. Bar none.

Apple does not fall far from the tree in this case.


I can imagine. Most of that came through in the interviews the general public saw. At least he could back it up with wins and poles. He probably should have had at least one or two additional championships. And, (IMO) the field was more competitive talent wise back then.



He should have won more, because the field was not as competitive. There were about 8 guys who could win a lot. But I think this field is deeper.
 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0