[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
Strictly Technical --> Re: Why no 3 Stage VTEC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Camry First Drives are up
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Singapore Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Facelifted Euro 2015 Honda Civic
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Silly little European engines
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Rendered: Acura CLX/TLX Coupe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Honda Spirior Si
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Bad Paint on my 14' Accord
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: Hey Acura, how about making an MDX Type S?
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: F/S: 2007 Honda Civic Si Sedan; Habanero Red; 54,000 miles; no mods
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Could Nissan's expensive battery plants write-offs
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: 2015 North American Car of the Year
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> 2008 CRV whining sound
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: TODAY IS MY LAST DAY IN MY 40'S.........
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RLX > > Re: Acura RLX Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2013 08:24
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
A friend of mine has started his car shopping adventure so I tagged along to the Acura dealership - this way I can inxpect the cars and sit in a test drive with the salesman focusing on him and not me. The place was packed with people looking at and buying the 2014 MDX. Acura really needs to figure out their success formula with CUVs and apply it to their sedans.

1st off we drove a 2013 TL FWD Advance: overall a very nice car but I was surprised about how cheap some of the interior materials were even compared to my 2004 TSX - most notable was the door pull. The metal trim with the pattern did not really appeal to me either.

Next we drove the 2014 RLX Tech: this car's interior was more impressive than the pictures online have lead me to believe. The car had a lot of pep & the engine had a very nice acceleration sound. The attention to detail was remarkable (especially after the TL), there were little things that some people would miss but really impressed me, like the interior of the door pockets had felt(?) lining. The gauges also had a 3-D type depth that made them look much more interesting than in pictures.

I was a bit disappointed that the arrow on the new navi screen is no longer the Acura logo - t'is now just a regular arrow. The seats were the standard Acura design - I wonder why only the MDX gets a different style? The 1 big downside was whatever the smell was (it does not have the typical new car smell) gave me a headache & made my nauseated.

Based upon this somewhat limited experience, I am definitely considering the RLX over the TL but I am still waiting for the SH-SH-AWD to come out before I start car shopping for real real; will test out the MDX next time. I also went by the Lexus dealership to checkout the new IS, GS & ES: they are still on my long list for now but the IS looked just as awkward in real-life as it did online.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2013 11:32
Well said. I own a TSX, have had a new TL as a loaner, and have test driven an RLX. As many of us have pointed out over time, the interior of the TSX is a real gem, the Japanese OEMs and its direct European competition really help this aspect; because of that, I felt the same way when driving the TL. Still a nice car though.
Your assessment of the RLX also echoes mine. While the interior lacks the subtle design details of an Audi, the materials feel incredibly high in quality, perhaps even more than said Audi. The drive was nice with the engine being potent yet very muted until high RPM. Despite some shortcomings that have been discussed ad nauseum in these forums, it really is a nice car.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2013 16:21
I concur with your assessment of the RLX interior. You explained it better than me regarding the instrument cluster. It has that 3D look to it that just looks really good.

The materials used and quality are of the highest quality I've seen even when compared to Q5 and 5 series.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-24-2013 16:26
"It Don't Mean a Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)"
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-25-2013 15:21
Cars.com
The RLX is something of an enigma. Don't get me wrong: It's definitely a nice luxury touring car that does the job, and my philosophy is, "You like? You buy." I often appreciate models that are sized between typical vehicle classes. No one says a top luxury sedan has to be as large as the S-Class or 7 Series. What perplexes most, though, is how close the RLX is in size to the TL. This is from the company that essentially has two compact sedans as well, the TSX and new ILX, with abutting prices.

To be fair, Lexus also has two midsize models, the ES and GS, but one is front-wheel drive and the other rear-wheel, respectively, and they have different personalities. The TL and RLX have similar personalities — neither of them very strong — and P-AWS isn't effective enough to distinguish the RLX in the market, much less the Acura lineup. Lots of head scratching going on …

Last edited by JeffX on 07-01-2013 11:29
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 06-30-2013 07:39
EveryMan Car Driver
The question that remains to be answered, does the RLX have what it takes to reclaim Acura’s reputation for producing some of the most technologically advanced luxury sedans in the marketplace? What my detailed drive and review and judge for yourself. Thanks for watching.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-05-2013 08:01
PortLand Tribune
But such reviewers are underestimating what Acura's engineers have done with the RLX. It is actually two cars that appeal to different drivers, and they are frequently found in the same families. One likes a soft ride, like the former land yachts from Detroit used to provide. The other likes a firmer ride, like practically all manufacturers — including those from Detroit — offer today. Our top-of-the-line RLX offered both, selected a Sport button on the center console.

The ability to shift between rides is not new. But the differences with the RLX were more dramatic than most other systems. The normal setting is almost too soft, over-compensating on some stretches of bad pavement with a rocking horse ride. On the other hand, that's better than having your teeth rattled. And although the Sport setting is noticeably firmer, it does make you want to visit a chiropractor after a long ride. That's a step back from some manufacturers, who seem to think luxury car owners race them on weekends.

Question: Does anyone know/think that the Sport Mode will reduce MPGs since it is supposed to change the transmission response?
Thanks
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-08-2013 12:12
Gay Wheels
But after experiencing the game-changing wild child that is the 2014 Acura RLX, we think it’s time that Mercedes, Lexus, and even BMW take note of how markedly competitive this new car truly is. This is odd because a GS350, E350 or 5-Series are all rear-wheel-drive, and according to the auto journalism rulebook, RWDs are always superior to front-wheel models like the RLX.

Funny, if we weren’t mistaken we would say that Acura engineered the new RLX as a bitchslap to every repetitive traditionalist to show them front-wheel-drive can be fun too. Plus, if you live somewhere that has seasons and weather you would probably prefer a front driver — unless spinning around in circles after hitting black ice patches is your idea of a good time. Frankly, we’d rather go cow tipping, and trust us when we say that is not on our bucket list, much less our lunch pail list.

The RLX has an interior that is definitely pushing the boundaries. Audiophiles will be interested to know that the once-vaunted Acura/ELS audio system is no longer the top rated unit: this honor now goes to an awesome sounding Krell system available in upper-level trims. Your ears will never want to hear music anywhere else after experiencing this sound system, trust us. Most especially you won’t want to be hearing music at a Justin Bieber concert, since that act renders adult ears deaf from all of the pre-teen shrieking. And his singing.

During laps on the very wet and slick rain-soaked Sonoma County Raceway, we were amazed at how well the RLX’s four-wheel steer system nearly eliminates any plowing or understeer in high-speed cornering and how in control we felt, even when we were driving at speeds that were a bit out of control. During comparison laps on a cone laden autocross course, we were amazed at how well the RLX kept up with the handling of a 535i and how horribly wooden the Mercedes E-Class felt as it skidded and smacked into cones on the way to a very disappointing finish.

So, were we suitably impressed with the RLX? Would we recommend it as heartily as the much-vaunted and nearly holy BMW 535i?

Prepare your hate letters now, but yes, we were impressed, even to the extent that we found the BMW’s amount of turbo-lag and easily confused transmission a bit of a turn off. In isolation we might not have noticed it, but powering through turns felt easier and safer on the slick tarmac in the RLX, as power was immediate and predictable, with none of the on/off nature of a turbo motor.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-12-2013 14:54
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-14-2013 09:08
JP
Profile for JP
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2013 17:28
tlf.com

JP
Profile for JP
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-22-2013 17:29
from tflcar.com

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 12:05
FenceViewer
During our time together, over 800 miles, the RLX returned a consistent 26 mpg.
RLX pros: roomy and upscale cabin, great features list, more attractive styling, good track record on reliability.
RLX cons: clumsy rough road ride, heavy price for the AWD option, no heated steering wheel?

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 13:07
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2013 11:02
Acura’s new RLX uses advanced technology to create an effortless luxury experience
Fuel mileage, additionally, is excellent. Your writer was delighted at a test overall consumption of 8.8L /100 km, which puts the big RLX in mid-sized, four-cylinder, family-sedan territory.

Complaints? The infotainment system comes with a learning curve before intuitive operation is possible and I missed some of the secretly sporty flare that characterized the last-generation Acura RL. Further, the paddle-activated shifts are executed after a notable delay that makes their use largely irrelevant.

Compared to the RLX, the new Lexus GS350 is a more athletic all-around performer and packs a more striking, upscale cabin execution. An Audi A6 or BMW 5-Series with similar power output figures will feel like it’s in more of a rush when drivers push it hard. Finally, a Chrysler 300 can provide more affordable access to a similarly high-tech, luxuriously appointed experience for less money.

The RLX will appeal most strongly to a shopper after a machine that flies under the radar and doesn’t beg for attention. Add in Acura’s lustrous reputation for reliability, resale value and owner satisfaction and it makes a smart choice for a shopper after a discreet luxury flagship experience.

What’s hot: Excellent on fuel, big and comfy, nice stereo, loaded with the latest high-tech
What’s not: falls short on visual and performance excitement, generic looks

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2013 12:30
So it's roomy, had a lot of features, it's great on gas and its reliable. Sounds just like the Accord V6 Touring!
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-06-2013 12:54
CivicB18 wrote:
So it's roomy, had a lot of features, it's great on gas and its reliable. Sounds just like the Accord V6 Touring!

To be fair the Accord V6 Touring is a steal compared to so many cars out there, luxury cars or not.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2013 07:58
Mark Phelan: 2014 Acura RLX lacks luxury handling, performance and downright glamour
Despite an upscale interior, Acura’s new flagship sedan is no match for the handling and performance of the Audi A6, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M37, Lexus GS 450 and Mercedes E350. It even falls short of high-end family sedans like the new Chevrolet Impala and Toyota Avalon.

The RLX’s interior is among its strong points. Roomy and comfortable, it provides more passenger and luggage space than the competitors. The back seat is particularly accommodating.

The RLX is not for enthusiastic drivers. Throttle response is unexceptional. Engaging the sport setting helps, but will reduce fuel economy.

Rating: 4 (Out of 4 stars)
Reasons to buy: Fuel economy; interior materials; passenger and luggage room.
Shortcomings: Price; performance; voice recognition; controls.
DavidJ
Profile for DavidJ
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-08-2013 08:21
TSX69 wrote:
Mark Phelan: 2014 Acura RLX lacks luxury handling, performance and downright glamour
Despite an upscale interior, Acura’s new flagship sedan is no match for the handling and performance of the Audi A6, Cadillac CTS, Infiniti M37, Lexus GS 450 and Mercedes E350. It even falls short of high-end family sedans like the new Chevrolet Impala and Toyota Avalon.

The RLX’s interior is among its strong points. Roomy and comfortable, it provides more passenger and luggage space than the competitors. The back seat is particularly accommodating.

The RLX is not for enthusiastic drivers. Throttle response is unexceptional. Engaging the sport setting helps, but will reduce fuel economy.

Rating: 4 (Out of 4 stars)
Reasons to buy: Fuel economy; interior materials; passenger and luggage room.
Shortcomings: Price; performance; voice recognition; controls.

Ouch
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-10-2013 08:38
New Car Test Drive
The all-new 2014 Acura RLX is unquestionably luxurious, with an exceptionally high index of quality and quiet, competent comfort. Its value proposition is a little hard to endorse: a front-wheel-drive sedan such as the new Kia Cadenza delivers similar cosseting and better dynamics for considerably less money, and a V8-propelled rear-drive Genesis sedan undercuts even a base RLX. If relaxed dynamics, posh interior appointments, serene motoring, and good fuel economy expectations are the priority, the RLX merits a place in the luxury sedan sunshine.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2013 09:22
acuraguy
Profile for acuraguy
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-11-2013 16:55
Heavy price for AWD option? Does he know something we don't? Nothing like an uninformed review.
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 09:57
acuraguy wrote:
Heavy price for AWD option? Does he know something we don't? Nothing like an uninformed review.

I'd say it's an educated guess considering how over priced the FWD drive version is...

I do wish the reviewer stressed that an AWD hybrid would be coming out shortly to compete with the other top line trims in the class. He only mentioned it once in passing I believe...makes the RLX look even less prepared to do battle in the segment. Shouldn't that sport hybrid SH-AWD RLX be out soon btw? When exactly? It can't come a moment too soon!
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 11:43
TurkMan71 wrote:

I'd say it's an educated guess considering how over priced the FWD drive version is...

I do wish the reviewer stressed that an AWD hybrid would be coming out shortly to compete with the other top line trims in the class. He only mentioned it once in passing I believe...makes the RLX look even less prepared to do battle in the segment. Shouldn't that sport hybrid SH-AWD RLX be out soon btw? When exactly? It can't come a moment too soon!

I'd probably mention it in passing the same way, because it doesn't exist. We're heading into the fourth quarter, and no hybrid?

Acura brought a knife to a gun fight and these reviews should come as no surprise. We've been over it 500 times already, but not releasing the most hyped version right away, given the miserable failure the RL was in the US, as Nick puts it, is the definition of insanity. How this type of shit happens within Acura is totally beyond me. Not one person stood up and raised this concern?

I'm starting to wonder if they didn't screw up somewhere on this hybrid and they are hiding now.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 19:59
DCR wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if they didn't screw up somewhere on this hybrid and they are hiding now.

Agreed, I'm starting to think the long delay is because of some major technical problems. Self igniting batteries??
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2013 06:25
They'd made vague noises about it being due out now, but the PAWS hasn't actually been on sale long.

I suspect that they'd not actually designed it and are busy testing it right now. Indeed, it may be dependent on items shared with the NSX, so they need to get it right.

Of course, it could go the way of A-VTEC (explodey batteries, or just ones that keep going flat & need that NSX exhaust-driven generator!) and late, late on, a regular SH-AWD version appears with a turbocharger. Just in time for the next-gen RLX...

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-15-2013 07:59
AutoMedia
Effortless thrust comes from the direct-injected 3.5L V6 engine, and 310 horsepower is soon cruising across the desert, slicing through heat that quickly climb into triple digits. Variable Cylinder Management keeps things running smoothly, and early into the trip the 2014 RLX is averaging an eye-popping 34 MPG. Two tons of car whooshes past thousands of massive windmills along the San Gorgonio Pass, with nary a sound nor vibration entering the well-appointed cabin.

The RLX sure doesn't drive like an Accord, though. Yes, the 3.5L V6 is the same, but a front double wishbone and rear multi-link suspension pair with the Precision All-Wheel Steering (P-AWS) system for a unique experience.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2013 16:31
123Auto
Overall, the driving experience in the 2014 Acura RLX is easygoing to the max. While you relax and let the RLX handle nearly everything for you, you’ll enjoy the leather that lines the seats, dash, doors, and nearly everything else. Two full-colour display screens are stacked in the centre console for a distinctively hi-tech look, while space galore in both seating rows and a laundry list of fully automatic or motorized features add to a welcoming and laid-back atmosphere.
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2013 17:33
TSX69 wrote:
The RLX sure doesn't drive like an Accord, though. Yes, the 3.5L V6 is the same, but a front double wishbone and rear multi-link suspension pair with the Precision All-Wheel Steering (P-AWS) system for a unique experience.

This is why I think dropping the 3.7L V6 was a bad idea. It doesn't matter if it has direct injection (just about everything is getting it), people will just assume it's the same engine as a lower model in the lineup, just "software tweaked" or "tuned." A.K.A. paying more for what was already there.

Greater displacement will quell that thought. Few people would draw the link between the Pilot and the 2G MDX, because the entire drivetrain was different on paper.

There is no tax benefit, in most regions, for getting a 3.5L vs a 3.7L engine, either.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura RLX Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-28-2013 21:05
jshaw wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

This is why I think dropping the 3.7L V6 was a bad idea. It doesn't matter if it has direct injection (just about everything is getting it), people will just assume it's the same engine as a lower model in the lineup, just "software tweaked" or "tuned." A.K.A. paying more for what was already there.

Greater displacement will quell that thought. Few people would draw the link between the Pilot and the 2G MDX, because the entire drivetrain was different on paper.

There is no tax benefit, in most regions, for getting a 3.5L vs a 3.7L engine, either.

Come on now jshaw, you're talking about marketing, and we all know where Honda/Acura sits in that regard!

Thread Page - 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0