[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
General Talk --> Re: The most beautiful thing in the world is...
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: F1 may change engine formula in 2016
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: Possible engine issue
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Infiniti Vision GT Concept .... designed in Beijing
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews - Motor Trend 3.5 SH-AWD First Test
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: S660 detailed in Honda Magazine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Fugtastic Messes
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Retrofit 2012 Odyssey Touring with one touch turn signals
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Surprising N-Box Slash debuts in Japan
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > NSX > > Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-29-2013 21:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
RolledaNsx wrote:
If your planning to go to Mid-Ohio just to see the NSX run,

Don't go....you will be let down!!!

I was told and Acura PR informed Jeff that the ACURA NSX MEDIA mule doesn't have the production engine(missing the turbos), so if you want to hear a NA version then go.

There is a race to go see!
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-30-2013 15:21
Rolled, did you ever see this car without wrap? There has to be an image somewhere.

http://jalopnik.com/5112059/acura-nsx-canceled-due-to-carpocalypse
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2013 10:47
Last year when they was doing the Power-train testing they had two production engines for the NSX and a few other secret engines(V8,larger V6).

NA V6 400HP 300LB-FT peaky powerband(not as bad as the F20)

Mild Boosted V6 400HP 400LB-FT wider(by alot) powerband

After the testing was over,guess what engine had better numbers?

I was told in the very beginning they was going to use a NA engine with a boosted one for the Type-R.

After last years tests did they change minds?
JMU R1
Profile for JMU R1
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2013 11:15
RolledaNsx wrote:
Last year when they was doing the Power-train testing they had two production engines for the NSX and a few other secret engines(V8,larger V6).

NA V6 400HP 300LB-FT peaky powerband(not as bad as the F20)

Mild Boosted V6 400HP 400LB-FT wider(by alot) powerband

After the testing was over,guess what engine had better numbers?

I was told in the very beginning they was going to use a NA engine with a boosted one for the Type-R.

After last years tests did they change minds?

I thought they were aiming for far more than 400 hp? Seems like a waste to make a turbo V6 only pushing 400 hp.

Where did the V8 fall in that performance test?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2013 11:32
^
They could be 410 or 490, they just said 400 range.

Better than the NA V6 but would Ito let them put a NA V8 in the production NSX? Racecar is a different story!
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-31-2013 12:55
RolledaNsx wrote:
^
They could be 410 or 490, they just said 400 range.

Better than the NA V6 but would Ito let them put a NA V8 in the production NSX? Racecar is a different story!

Lets hope so, 400hp would be way too low and uncompetitive for the engine especially when the batteries are depleted on a track, The Porsche 911 has made 400NA hp for several years. By the time the NSX comes out 450hp for the gas engine would be the absolute minimum for a scenario when the batteries are depleted and not providing any power, closer to 500hp and the car being lighter then the 458 and McLaren would be more ideal. I am much more interested about what the gas engine is putting out then the combination of electric motors because those motors become useless and just extra weight once the batteries are depleted.

Ideally I would like to see closer to 500hp from a NA or turbocharged motor and then have the batteries/motors just providing 50-100hp passing/acceleration boost, aid in the handling, and have some fuel saving capabilities. Well actually ideally I would like to see a V8 or V10 but that is just dreaming, I would settle for a 6 cylinder making close to 500hp.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 09:27
This is a little air out of my balloon. Lexusgs has some valid points. Unless they have some revolutionary weight-reducing tech they're going to spring on us (we already saw a post that its exceeding its weight target) "400 range" isn't that great unless that happens to mean 495 (and why not just go for 500 at that point), though I doubt it.
It's a shame Ito would be so bull-headed about a V8 as I assume the unit they developed was a real gem. With the electric motor in the trans and a tall 7th gear I'm sure they could get respectable fuel efficiency out of it.

EternalShadowAW
Profile for EternalShadowAW
Re: Acura NSX Prototype    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 16:45
Lighter than a McLaren MP4-12C despite the hybrid and batteries? I think not... That's 2900 lb with a carbon fiber tub...

The batteries aren't gonna be completely drained. It'll be able to charge significantly all around the track.

The McLaren P1 is said to be able to fully discharge two or three times on the Nurburgring. On a smaller track, the NSX will be absolutely fine.

RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 16:50
Realtime Racing has a 10 second video of it driving off the hauler(real engine sound,not Acura PR added).

With Realtime Racing involve it looks like it is the mule for a Pirelli World Challenge GT Class Racecar.

Its looks like next year we're going to see Peter Cunningham racing a NSX again.

And it kinda sounds like a NA V8 or big displacement NA V6.

Exhaust is in the rear low center(two rectangular exits)
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 17:04
RolledaNsx wrote:
Realtime Racing has a 10 second video of it driving off the hauler(real engine sound,not Acura PR added).

With Realtime Racing involve it looks like it is the mule for a Pirelli World Challenge GT Class Racecar.

Its looks like next year we're going to see Peter Cunningham racing a NSX again.

And it kinda sounds like a NA V8 or big displacement NA V6.

Exhaust is in the rear low center(two rectangular exits)

it doesnt' sound deep or smooth enough to be a V8 to me. It sounds almost exactly like the many J-series V6s I've heard from HPD in various states of tune.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 17:50
Its just a race tune NA V6 with large cylinder displacement(550+cc) that gives it the deep rough sound.

In the video,the two black shirt HPD employees didn't look happy with the people filming it!

Another story broke today.....FIA GT3 cars are allowed in Pirelli World Challenge next year.

So HPD will only have to build one chassis to race FIA/ACO,USCR and World Challenge.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 19:07
It did two laps today(sounds like a race tuned NA NSX1.0)
nsx_s2k
Profile for nsx_s2k
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-02-2013 23:25
Rolled,

Thanks for pointing out the center exhaust, a design feature that I personally like BTW. Do you happen to know with any degree of certainty whether the production unit will have the center exhaust?
Also, does this test/racing mule have the electric motors & SH-AWD or is it merely only a RWD edition?
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-03-2013 23:11
^
For aero reasons(get away from outside diffusers) and the very short rear overhang(no room behind tires for muffler and exhaust tips)it pretty much needs to go in the center.

By keeping it very low,they might be able to put a little trunk back there.

Because if they put the trans in the front of the engine or make it transverse there might be a little room for one.

And no electric motors.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-03-2013 23:18
And in different to the NSX1.0 that had a wing,the NSX2.0 will have a spoiler(most likely active) that raises at speed.
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 12:49
New Video

nsx_s2k
Profile for nsx_s2k
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 17:47
Rolled,
Again, thanks for your insight.

As silly as it may sound, I was really hoping the new NSX would have some sort of spoiler. An active spoiler would indeed be pretty cool!
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-04-2013 19:30
I think it will land somewhere in the mid 500's as if you remember, the former Honda DualNote concept made around 400hp and that was some years ago. I'm sure Acura has refined and taken that technology to a higher level by now.
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 10:33
RolledaNsx wrote:
Another story broke today.....FIA GT3 cars are allowed in Pirelli World Challenge next year.

So HPD will only have to build one chassis to race FIA/ACO,USCR and World Challenge.

First, do you know if HPD is going to homologate the new NSX for GT3? Last I heard there was significant discussion as to where, when and how the NSX would be raced.

If so, would it race in 2014?
Memo60
Profile for Memo60
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 20:49
I was yesterday at Mid Ohio, and I saw the NSX, and it sounded like a V6, but very sexy noise, I can't get close to see it in the paddock because immediately they put it away, it had a central exhaust, can't for the real thing.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 20:59
If it races next year in FIA/ACO or WC races it will not be hybrid.They want to race it next year but most likely wait for 2015 with the hope FIA/ACO will allow hybrids in GTE.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-05-2013 21:27
RolledaNsx wrote:
If it races next year in FIA/ACO or WC races it will not be hybrid.They want to race it next year but most likely wait for 2015 with the hope FIA/ACO will allow hybrids in GTE.

waiting would be a mistake! They need to get it out there [and preferably being competitive] to generate some hype and if it wins cachet. I would have thought they would not make the same mistakes they made in trying to "market" the NSX v1!
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Acura NSX Prototype video driving off the hauler    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-12-2013 14:40
sadlerau wrote:
RolledaNsx wrote:

waiting would be a mistake! They need to get it out there [and preferably being competitive] to generate some hype and if it wins cachet. I would have thought they would not make the same mistakes they made in trying to "market" the NSX v1!

I agree. And with a longitudinal engine the platform should be flexible enough that they can get a non-hybrid out there for next year and then a hybrid version in GTE the following year.

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0