[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
More.......................
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
RLX --> Re: RLX Sport Hybrid now listed on Acura.com
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Third Fit in the Family! 2015 vs 2010 vs 2008
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX 2.4 road feel & responsiveness?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New JDM Stream(Jade) was delayed until 2015.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda's exploding airbags
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: Why no 3 Stage VTEC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D long term test Accord Sport
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's Future Sports Car Line-Up
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 0-60 or other performance metrics in the US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2016 Jaguar XE is ready to stalk the competition
Join Discussion......
Ridgeline - General Talk --> Re: 2017 Ridgeline will be a real truck and Pilot info!
Join Discussion......
EL/CSX --> Re: Knocking 1998 1.6 EL, new engine???
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: HONDA AFVM'S SOLAR PROJECT....
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Sport with sunroof
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > CR-V > > Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
Basset3
Profile for Basset3
Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2013 12:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My 2012 CRV is the 5th Honda I've owned. What is different about the new CRV is the amount of time required for the engine to warm-up in cold weather.
Case in point: it was about 2 degrees in Ohio and I drove around 18 to 20 miles before the engine was completely warmed-up.
Had the dealer check the cooling/heating system and all was normal.
In my previous Honda's (Civic & Accord), I would drive it no more than 5 miles and the engine would be at operating temperature.
Mind you, this is highway driving - around 50 mph - and not idling in the city.
Did Honda redesign the cooling system and has anyone else had this occurrence?
Tsx24Mivtec
Profile for Tsx24Mivtec
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-17-2013 04:11
I too have a 12 CRV and live in RI. I havent noticed anything different as far as warm up times vs my other Honda's.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 12:07
I also have a 2012 CR-V and I honestly have never paid attention to warm-up times. I figure in zero degree temps, the thing will be warm when it gets warm.
JonBoy
Profile for JonBoy
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 12:15
Something is definitely wrong - maybe the thermostat is stuck open? All of my Hondas warm up within five minutes or seven minutes at those temperatures. My drive to work is five miles and the Civic and S2000 both warm up easily within that distance (or time). We get down to -40*F here in my part of Canada and even at those temps, once you start driving the car, you should have sufficient heat to completely warm the cabin within ten minutes.
CRV70
Profile for CRV70
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 12:13
Yes, I have the same issue with my 2012 CR-V EX AWD. I came from an '03 Accord w/ the same motor and the CR-V takes twice as long to get warm as my '03 Accord did. Maybe they use a different thermostat? The Accord would be warm in 5-7 minutes I'd say, where the CR-V will just start getting luke warm at best in that time frame.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 17:14
Just a fact with the CRV. The 2.4 engine takes its time heaterwise. You notice it when from 20F or below. Honda seat heaters are also pretty slow.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 17:21
ten minutes is a loooong time!!!! In my expirience Fordsand GM's are noticeably quicker.
6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 17:23
That is my observation with the 2 CRVs weve had. My friends TSX is a little faster too, but still much slower than my ford or our odyssey.
Basset3
Profile for Basset3
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-23-2013 08:41
Took my CRV to the dealer and they checked out the cooling system.....all was normal.
Guess they've made a design change of sorts that affect the warm-up.
Basset3
Profile for Basset3
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2013 16:42
This is an update to the warm-up problem with the CRV in cold weather...10 degrees outside.
As mentioned before, it would take forever to get heat inside and for the temperature gauge to get just over "C".
I tried something this morning: I drove several miles with the heater and fan OFF!!!! Lo and behold...engine warmed up pretty fast. Only then did I get heat inside.

It would seem the secret is to let the car fully warm up before turning on the heat....at least the fan. A minor inconvenience, but it worked.
Dream'R
Profile for Dream'R
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-12-2013 19:02
A suggestion for anyone experiencing this problem is to consider blocking part of the grille intakes. The rush of cold air at highway speeds, in particular, makes it much harder for the engine to warm up quickly. Fuel economy is also better once the engine warms up.

A simple and inexpensive way to block the grille openings is to use the foam insulation tubes sold to wrap water pipes. It comes in various diameters and cuts easily. Cut slits to fit around vertical supports and secure with wire ties if necessary. You will want to monitor your temperature to avoid overheating once temperatures are above freezing. Some experimentation will be needed, but try 50% blockage to start. Another bonus is that by covering the lower intake you reduce the road salt , etc. sucked into the radiator and air conditioner condenser.

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2013 10:13
Basset3 wrote:
This is an update to the warm-up problem with the CRV in cold weather...10 degrees outside.
As mentioned before, it would take forever to get heat inside and for the temperature gauge to get just over "C".
I tried something this morning: I drove several miles with the heater and fan OFF!!!! Lo and behold...engine warmed up pretty fast. Only then did I get heat inside.

It would seem the secret is to let the car fully warm up before turning on the heat....at least the fan. A minor inconvenience, but it worked.

unless you have an LX keep the HVAC on auto. Its programmed to let the engine warm up before wasting any heat gain uselessly trying to heat the interior. Your heater can actually drop the engine temp let alone slow it heating up.
Frogger
Profile for Frogger
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2013 13:13
Honda seat heaters are laughable as well, my body heat heats them faster. We have a Subaru in the barn and it has real seat heaters, heat up literally 10x quicker than Honda's do...
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-16-2013 14:43
A77X wrote:
Basset3 wrote:

unless you have an LX keep the HVAC on auto. Its programmed to let the engine warm up before wasting any heat gain uselessly trying to heat the interior. Your heater can actually drop the engine temp let alone slow it heating up.

This is true unless you have the HVAC defrost on.

Defrost ramps up the fan pretty good regardless of engine temp and I've found it to make a significant difference in warm-up time on my CSX.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2013 11:03
Basset3 wrote:

I'd swear there's something wrong with your thermostat.

They're a pretty cheap component and I wonder if it's worth trying a replacement.

The only time our Civic was that bad was when it was a decade old and a new 'stat made it good as new.

Impossible Dream
Profile for Impossible Dream
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2013 13:26
Not sure what your basis of comparison is, but we have an 2013 CR-V LX, and a 2013 Accord Sport, and they both take about the same amount of time to heat up regardless of temperature. I'm in the same market as A77x, so we have had some pretty extreme temperatures of -30 degrees C or more.

Letting the car heat up first is obviously beneficial, but I found like the poster above, that putting the defrost function on usual provides decent results. Driving around for a good 5-10 minutes and letting the engine warm itself up should warm the cabin heater enough to start feeling warmth. Maybe my expectations are pretty low, as I know that no matter what I'm driving, the heater will take a long time to get going in cold weather...
LudeLeRoy
Profile for LudeLeRoy
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2013 23:06
Basset3 wrote:

I drive a K24-powered TSX and live in Northern New England (it was -16F this AM!!!!!!!) and I noticed the exact same thing!
I've only owned Honda vehicles my entire driving-life and have owned everything from A20, D15, F22, F23, H22, J30 and now K-series - and in my humble and non-scientific opinion you are 100% correct (other Hondas warm up more quickly).

On really cold days like today the car doesn't warm up in 10 minutes unless I leave the heat off for the first 5+ minutes and even then barely hits "warmed-up" by the time get to work. I'm thinking it is the nature of the K-series?
Tsx24Mivtec
Profile for Tsx24Mivtec
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-17-2013 23:34
LudeLeRoy wrote:
Basset3 wrote:

I drive a K24-powered TSX and live in Northern New England (it was -16F this AM!!!!!!!) and I noticed the exact same thing!
I've only owned Honda vehicles my entire driving-life and have owned everything from A20, D15, F22, F23, H22, J30 and now K-series - and in my humble and non-scientific opinion you are 100% correct (other Hondas warm up more quickly).

On really cold days like today the car doesn't warm up in 10 minutes unless I leave the heat off for the first 5+ minutes and even then barely hits "warmed-up" by the time get to work. I'm thinking it is the nature of the K-series?

I'm assuming because the K series, or modern engines in general are more fuel efficient at warm-up/idle. Since its using less gas, its releasing fewer BTU's(thermal energy) hence longer times to warm up vs older engines.
dydx
Profile for dydx
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2013 04:44
my unscientific guess is that the CR-V simply has more interior volume to heat up, it's built from the econocar Civic platform, so it's probably using the same heating component from the Civic (which in that form is adequate), but is not up to task for something with the interior volume of the CR-V. My 2007 takes approximately the same amount of time (~10 mins) to become nice and toasty inside, and this is with it on full blast.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2013 10:50
Tsx24Mivtec wrote:

I'm assuming because the K series, or modern engines in general are more fuel efficient at warm-up/idle. Since its using less gas, its releasing fewer BTU's(thermal energy) hence longer times to warm up vs older engines.

That was my thinking as well until my gf got her 2012 Civic.

Her '08 was slow to warm up, the '12 with more or less the same engine warms up a lot faster.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-18-2013 13:36
Impossible Dream wrote:
Not sure what your basis of comparison is, but we have an 2013 CR-V LX, and a 2013 Accord Sport, and they both take about the same amount of time to heat up regardless of temperature. I'm in the same market as A77x, so we have had some pretty extreme temperatures of -30 degrees C or more.

Letting the car heat up first is obviously beneficial, but I found like the poster above, that putting the defrost function on usual provides decent results. Driving around for a good 5-10 minutes and letting the engine warm itself up should warm the cabin heater enough to start feeling warmth. Maybe my expectations are pretty low, as I know that no matter what I'm driving, the heater will take a long time to get going in cold weather...

If it's really that bad, try slipping a small piece of card either in the grille of in front of the radiator, see if that helps. I used to do that with a FIAT. BUT KEEP ANY EYE on the temp, in case you need to whip it out again. Sort of the equivalent of what the Class 8 truckers fit...

A77X
Profile for A77X
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-24-2013 13:10
Just thinking about this...if you don't run the heater when it is really cold - say -30C then the thermostat will be closed, allowing the engine to heat up fairly fast. But once the heater is turned on the thermostat must open to allow coolant to enter the heater box. So coolant flows through the rad...and stays cold...

I use the auto setting all the time in my TSX (apat from windshield clearing) and it's normal I'd say in terms of the time it takes to heat up. The fan speed is progressive too - it won't blow air very hard until there's sufficient heat there.

The heated seats are slower to react than my other half's Kia. Least they have a low setting. Kias and Hyundais all seem to be either bottom boiling hot or off.

I used a radiator blind in my Land Rover here in the hope it would help warm up - it didnt. But I'd say that old buick engine does heat up faster - probably as it generates more heat and fumes than actual motive power....
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-24-2013 13:25
My J35 warms up really fast too!
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2013 11:29
Why would someone turn the heat on before the car is warmed up in the first place? Where do you think the heat comes from?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-27-2013 11:39
So that the waste heat from the combusion process defrosts the windows/warms the cabin?

There is a substantial temperature differential (it's how a gas pressure engine works) and it will raise the cabin temperature (particularly on recirc) by a few degrees compared to the differential of several hundred degrees within the cylinder. Much of the differential will be disposed of to the air in the engine bay.
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2014 11:13
Frogger wrote:
Honda seat heaters are laughable as well, my body heat heats them faster. We have a Subaru in the barn and it has real seat heaters, heat up literally 10x quicker than Honda's do...

Subaru definitely speaks to a lot of snowbelt buyers by having a great all-weather pkg: good seat heaters (even for cloth seats), mirror heaters, windshield wiper heaters. And everyone I know that has a Subie got that pkg. Maybe Honda would make some in-roads on its lifestyle AWD's if they considered a more extensive winter weather package like that.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Long Warm-up in cold weather    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-06-2014 11:40
The worst heater I have ever experienced was in our family's 1968 VW Bus. There really wasn't any heat at the front of the van, just a little coming out under the back seat.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0