[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Acura NSX Production Model to Make World Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
More.......................
Honda FCV Concept to Make North American Debut at 2015 North American International Auto Show
American Honda Sets New November Sales Records; Core Vehicles Lead the Way
Acura Set to Launch More Powerful, Technologically Advanced and Luxuriously Equipped 2016 Acura ILX
All-new 2016 Honda HR-V Crossover Makes North American Debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
Honda FCV Concept Makes World Debut in Japan
SPIED ON THE STREET! 2016(?) Honda Civic
2016 ILX front end refresh image leaked
Accord --> Re: Weird Starting
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Turbocharged engines coming in 2015
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: Surprising N-Box Slash debuts in Japan
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Went from 2006 SI to 2012 Genesis Coupe 3.8 GT
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: pistonheads 100k garage, all-Honda choice ! Where's the wasabi?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: It looks like Honda is going to go with Android in the future
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Almost a wreck at 75MPH!
Join Discussion......
Videos --> Re: HondaJet
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: S660 detailed in Honda Magazine
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: McLaren-Honda drivers - official news
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 2015 Detroit(NAIAS) Auto Show
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I was told the TLX transmission logic "learns" (new 0-60 times)
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Heritage Center opens in Marysville Ohio
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Ugly Stick Production Is Way Up
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Photoshops > > Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-15-2013 22:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply

I made these cause I got sooooo bored. Let me know how they look.

Thanks.
towncaptain
Profile for towncaptain
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2013 00:20
nice job!....but it made me sad because it's not real :( heres hoping the 6 speed will make it to the tlx.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-16-2013 00:46
Thanks. I also agree, one should be offered. I feel like one would be but who knows. Acura better spend that 1Billion Honda is giving them wisely!

Here is another RLX with more interesting rims from the ILX Hybrid. I like these best.

silverTL6
Profile for silverTL6
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 03:31
Why are the angle of the "fangs" in the lower front airdam reversed?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 07:15
silverTL6 wrote:
Why are the angle of the "fangs" in the lower front airdam reversed?

To give it a sportier look.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 07:19
Tweaked the models. I like this one the best!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 08:48
Hondatalover wrote:
Tweaked the models. I like this one the best!

that's pretty funny. A couple weeks ago, I asked Neal to whip up a mockup of what I thought would be a better looking way to do the front end on the RL.

Following a dinner at the press event I was sitting at a table chatting with the RLX's chief engineer and he asked me what I thought about the styling. I was honest with him and told him I thought there was nothing offensive about it but I didn't think it was going to help the car stand out. I also told him I thought the grille placement looked a little unnatural and I thought it would look better if it lined up properly with the top of the headlights, and maybe cut a little deeper down into the bumper area.

anyhow, I told this to Neal and he cooked this up - my plan was to put it into my RLX first drive article as a bit of a sidebar. Still haven't finished that yet...

But it's interesting to see how we basically had the same thought. I think the reversal of the orientation of "fangs" is an interesting idea too. I wasn't crazy about lower bumper area either but I just wanted to start simple and just see how lowering the grille position would help.

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 10:41
Not too bad, but I still have not answered my own question: does the RLX have front fog lights? I think I'm gonna go on owners.acura.com and see the owner's manual!

Also, another question: did you use inspect element?
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 10:53
xBeastx wrote:
Not too bad, but I still have not answered my own question: does the RLX have front fog lights? I think I'm gonna go on owners.acura.com and see the owner's manual!

Here it is sir:

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 10:55
xBeastx wrote:
xBeastx wrote:

Here it is sir:

Ahh thank you! It is certainly weird how a $60,000 does not have front fog lights.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 11:23
There's A LOT more adjusting (raising, lowering, slanting, shading) happening than might be visible at first glance, just to make it overall more harmonious:

-grille more flush with a straighter, leading edge of the hood
-more narrow yet substantially deeper plunge to the grille
-vertical character line crease at the lowest point of the grille
-more open horizontal space above the plenum face (same shape and proportion as the revised NSX concept)
-slimmer chrome surround around entire plenum grille
-smaller Acura badge
-raised lower intake
-deeper outward fog lights are canted inward
-crystal blue exterior similar to TSX relates to a similar color found within the faceted jewel element
-dark skies for children ;-)

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 11:28
xBeastx, are you carrying on a conversation with yourself?
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 11:50
superchg2 wrote:
xBeastx, are you carrying on a conversation with yourself?

That is what happens when you forget to clear your cache before posting on your second account.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 12:00
Got the same impression :o

Scale of 1-10 how legit?
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 13:04
330R wrote:

Scale of 1-10 how legit?

I think he is just playing off of the "I haven't answered my own question" bit, is all.
330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 13:09
^ That fits. We've all got to be a bit crazy.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 17:27
DCR wrote:
330R wrote:

Scale of 1-10 how legit?

I think he is just playing off of the "I haven't answered my own question" bit, is all.

You are correct!
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-18-2013 18:00
Sorry, "Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?" was just a sloppy way of saying "How does this look? Does it look realistic? Rate it 1-10." I should be more clear next time.

And Jeff, that's great that you got to give your honest input on the RLX! Its also great that we, and many others, had the same idea in mind for the front grill. The lower air intake change was to give the car a wider and more planted look. I also thought that there was too many 'V' shaped lines in the front, so I thought that switching them up would give a feel or balance.

Neal, your renderings look great! I have one below, a a few others I need to upload still.

And xBeastx, if you were asking me if I used Inspect Element, I did not. I used Gimp2.6.

In this image, I also gave the LED's in the headlights a off set to them. Hard to tell but it's there.
Before

After

My grill isn't as large or symmetric but with it and with the low air intake shows a decent enough change to say that the RLX looks a bit more 'natural'.

Also, Neal, could ask you and Jeff what your thoughts were on the hidden exhausts?

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 09:16
The second looks a bit unresolved; the hood shut line needs to be pulled down slightly between grille & headlight like this:

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 13:55
Nick GravesX wrote:
The second looks a bit unresolved; the hood shut line needs to be pulled down slightly between grille & headlight like this:

Oh God what did they do to the H emblem!?!?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 18:05
xBeastx wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

They replaced it with a pre 80's Honda emblem. I think its pre 80's. idk. But I don't like them. For somewhere they are really popular on the Civic with the guys who like over stance for appearance.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 20:01
Decided to refresh my browser and see if the actual RLX instead of the RL showed up in the drop down tab when hovering over the model name.

It did!

So I quickly got to work, adding in the usual; ILX Hybrid Rims, flattened grill, lower roof, upper side skirt chrome trim, reversed 'fangs' on the lower air intake, and I gave the LED Jewels a slight offset form the row above it, again, to add character and attraction to the car. You'll also notice the "370HP V6 Hybrid with SH-AWD" caption was changed form "310HP V6 and available P-AWS." ;)

For a change, I decided to bring the chrome trim pieces in a up word direct against the reversed 'fangs'. This gave the chrome strip more character and a aggressive look. I also added a chrome strip to the lower air intake, like the 13' Accords.

I did not change the wheel base this time. Mainly cause of the angle the car is sitting at. It hides most of the space I would be extending and I thought it wasn't that necessary for a slight visual change that really isn't noticeable in such angle.

Enjoy!

The car would be a steal at 49K with the 370HP Hybrid SH-AWD drive train, plus the standard Navi and other features!
(Going by my model changes in the previous chopped webpage of mine)
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 22:11
NealX wrote:

Neal, that is a beautiful grille. Such a small change gives it a lot more depth and character.

I like all of these RLX 'chops from Hondatalover as well. They remind me a bit of a TSX on steroids. Or a more modern '05 RL - especially in the blue color as shown here on Neal's. At any rate, they all are clearly identified as Acura while being more coherent than Acura's own RLX, which to me looks like an old Lexus GS with a plastic plenum on the front.

I also think, though - even in these modified versions - that the Jewel Eyes are just ugly. Good on Acura for doing LED headlights, but this is just tacky, IMO. The NSX lights, absolutely*. The RLX... no.

In this picture it looks like the page didn't load correctly at the headlights, or that my eyes are blurry. It's just so cluttered and weird.
http://www.acura.com/images/2014/RLX/photos/2014-rlx-exterior-with-advance-package-in-silver-moon-modern-home-10.jpg

*By the time the NSX comes out, the headlights will not even be original, as Hyundai is already set to steal them and will probably beat Acura to production.
http://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2013-hcd-14_genesis_concept/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 22:24
Potenza wrote:
*By the time the NSX comes out, the headlights will not even be original, as Hyundai is already set to steal them and will probably beat Acura to production.
http://www.netcarshow.com/hyundai/2013-hcd-14_genesis_concept/800x600/wallpaper_01.htm

Hoping to see that headlight in the SHSHSHAWD version of the RLX?? :(
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2013 22:33
Love the wheels. This iteration looks like a true flagship.
Ponyboy
Profile for Ponyboy
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2013 23:54
Love the wheels. When building my RLX, there weren't any wheel options. Acura has got to offer some aggressive looking wheels as an option.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 07:29
Ponyboy wrote:
Love the wheels. When building my RLX, there weren't any wheel options. Acura has got to offer some aggressive looking wheels as an option.

I don't think they can or 'Wheel' (lol) cause of they would cause more road noise.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 10:15
Hondatalover wrote:
Decided to refresh my browser and see if the actual RLX instead of the RL showed up in the drop down tab when hovering over the model name.

It did!

So I quickly got to work, adding in the usual; ILX Hybrid Rims, flattened grill, lower roof, upper side skirt chrome trim, reversed 'fangs' on the lower air intake, and I gave the LED Jewels a slight offset form the row above it, again, to add character and attraction to the car. You'll also notice the "370HP V6 Hybrid with SH-AWD" caption was changed form "310HP V6 and available P-AWS." ;)

For a change, I decided to bring the chrome trim pieces in a up word direct against the reversed 'fangs'. This gave the chrome strip more character and a aggressive look. I also added a chrome strip to the lower air intake, like the 13' Accords.

I did not change the wheel base this time. Mainly cause of the angle the car is sitting at. It hides most of the space I would be extending and I thought it wasn't that necessary for a slight visual change that really isn't noticeable in such angle.

Enjoy!

The car would be a steal at 49K with the 370HP Hybrid SH-AWD drive train, plus the standard Navi and other features!
(Going by my model changes in the previous chopped webpage of mine)

Acura, why you no these wheels???
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 13:33
Hondatalover wrote:
xBeastx wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

They replaced it with a pre 80's Honda emblem. I think its pre 80's. idk. But I don't like them. For somewhere they are really popular on the Civic with the guys who like over stance for appearance.

Nope; just the EUDM style of the oughties:

You don't expect consistency from Honda, do you?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Scale 1-10 how legit do these look?    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-22-2013 19:40
Decided to do a fresh front facing view.

I decided this view needed to be done to emphasize on detail, as such the LED DRL's I added in the air intakes that switch between DRL and Fog-light uses.

Before and After image.

I'm kinda getting bored with the front end of the RLX, so start looking for rear end edits and the additions of exhaust tips.

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0