[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 2006 Civic SI NAV No Mods All Original
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production - TOV tweet
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche 918 tested in the USA.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Civic > > Re: 2013 Civic Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 07:46
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
USA 2day
Changes are noted immediately. The car looks snappier, is quieter from the moment you turn the key, feels firmer and more agile, and has the mantle of classiness the predecessor lacked.

Interior changes that might sound inconsequential add up to a big deal. Simply deepening the grain in dash and door padding makes it look more like leather and less like hard plastic. Not only do things inside feel nicer to touch, they are nicer to view.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 10:46
Please tell me this isn't true.

Honda says it began working on the updates even before the 2012 hit the market 19 months ago, because it was evident that rivals were moving faster.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 14:10
longhorn wrote:

Honda says it began working on the updates even before the 2012 hit the market 19 months ago, because it was evident that rivals were moving faster.

That sound like marketing BS to cover for a corporate embarrassment.

Most of us here remember that the 2012 Civic was supposed to be the 2011, but they extended the previous generation by one year to "make more changes" to the Civic. Something went very wrong, as the result of that strange delay was the cheapened 2012. Wouldn't it be nice to know the fly on the wall that knew exactly what was changed back then?
Jack Poland
Profile for Jack Poland
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 14:15
Definately a fan of the new civic especially in that color of red although the Dyno blue looks nice too, circa last year Prelude 2001.

Definately a step up on everything with the look the spoiler, the finish of the mesh, and the chrome. Lots of new standard features too like climate control.

I wish they raised the redline a bit but I guess the torque bump at low revs is good settlement, speaks well to me being in my 30's and not living my life after 7200 RPMs

Being a Honda mark I definately like the new civic, I think for 23K I think it can't be beat for that price range.

Finally some good news from Honda.

Now if anyone can tell me the difference between the TL, TSX, ILX, and RLX I can be happy.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 14:17
A few more quotes from the LA Times.

"We underestimated the expectations ... that [customers] had for Honda," said John Mendel, executive vice president for Honda America. So the company scrambled to make the Civic competitive, Mendel said.

and

"We were already in the throws of saying, 'Hey look, we got that wrong, we got this wrong, we're going to need to upgrade a few things to keep pace with what customers were going to want,'" said Mendel.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-laas-honda-civic-redesign-20121229,0,648383.story
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 16:01
longhorn wrote:
A few more quotes from the LA Times.

"We underestimated the expectations ... that [customers] had for Honda," said John Mendel, executive vice president for Honda America. So the company scrambled to make the Civic competitive, Mendel said.

and

"We were already in the throws of saying, 'Hey look, we got that wrong, we got this wrong, we're going to need to upgrade a few things to keep pace with what customers were going to want,'" said Mendel.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-autos-laas-honda-civic-redesign-20121229,0,648383.story

Hey, John Mandel.. if you (or your minions) reads this, I think there's other things that you knew were wrong but have yet to fix..

GIVE the SI a K22 iVTEC with a 7800RPM redline and 210 bhp.

OK?

Get rid of the Race Boy Graphics on the dash and iMID and give us real gauges (oil pressure, oil/water temps, altimeter....)
in the iMid. Keep the mileage gauge for the Si too!

I don't need no boy racer LEDs for VTEC, I can hear and feel it...

Thanks

PS- Put a high octane 200bhp K24W | 6ATSS and NAVI in the ILX-S while you're at it.

luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 16:23
Id like to see a Si premium model such as the WRX and GTI have with a leather option, heated mirrors (should be standard), heated seats, automatic climate control (that the EX-L has), turn signal mirrors, projector headlamps with HID. The interior is better but still not as classy of a design as the 8th was, I agree with getting rid of the boy racer piping on the seating (just do red stitching like in the 8th), and the graphics. I don't need a VTEC light, its obvious when it kicks in and if you don't know when it does the Si is not a car for you, put a temp gauge there. I'm not digging the fake carbon fiber even though it looks better then the 2012 Si was. Don't like that display for the speedo as I did for the 2006-2011. Don't get the lack of the sliding door on the cup holder mine is closed all the time cause exposed cup holders look horrible. I still think the ex and up Civic should get a locking glove box. Good effort though, I just don't like that styling of the 9th interior just awkward for my tastes with the different angles compared to the 8ths. 1000 percent improvement from the 2012.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 16:31
luder715 wrote:
Id like to see a Si premium model such as the WRX and GTI have with a leather option, heated mirrors (should be standard), heated seats, automatic climate control (that the EX-L has), turn signal mirrors, projector headlamps with HID. The interior is better but still not as classy of a design as the 8th was, I agree with getting rid of the boy racer piping on the seating (just do red stitching like in the 8th), and the graphics. I don't need a VTEC light, its obvious when it kicks in and if you don't know when it does the Si is not a car for you, put a temp gauge there. I'm not digging the fake carbon fiber even though it looks better then the 2012 Si was. Don't like that display for the speedo as I did for the 2006-2011. Don't get the lack of the sliding door on the cup holder mine is closed all the time cause exposed cup holders look horrible. I still think the ex and up Civic should get a locking glove box. Good effort though, I just don't like that styling of the 9th interior just awkward for my tastes with the different angles compared to the 8ths. 1000 percent improvement from the 2012.

The "Si Premium" is supposed to be the Integra/RSX/ILX.

Somehow, not only did AHM bumbled somewhat on the '12 Civic but they did so horribly with the ILX.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 16:47
TonyE wrote:
luder715 wrote:

Somehow, not only did AHM bumbled somewhat on the '12 Civic but they did so horribly with the ILX.

Why couldn't they have called the ILX 2.4 a Type-S? It fits all the qualities of one, just add spoiler and some red stitching.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 20:41
Waldo wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Most of us here remember that the 2012 Civic was supposed to be the 2011, but they extended the previous generation by one year to "make more changes" to the Civic. Something went very wrong, as the result of that strange delay was the cheapened 2012. Wouldn't it be nice to know the fly on the wall that knew exactly what was changed back then?

If the car amounted to mostly suspension and plastic bumpers, I'd agree. However, it is IMPOSSIBLE for suppliers and factories to ramp up in just one year for something as huge as monocoque changes (to stiffen the front frame and better withstand the small offset test). I honestly believe Honda was working on this some time before the 2012 hit the market.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 20:46
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
TonyE wrote:
luder715 wrote:

Why couldn't they have called the ILX 2.4 a Type-S? It fits all the qualities of one, just add spoiler and some red stitching.

As I said... marketing bumbled the ILX HORRIBLY....

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 21:05
CarPhreakD wrote:
If the car amounted to mostly suspension and plastic bumpers, I'd agree. However, it is IMPOSSIBLE for suppliers and factories to ramp up in just one year for something as huge as monocoque changes (to stiffen the front frame and better withstand the small offset test). I honestly believe Honda was working on this some time before the 2012 hit the market.

Perhaps some of the interior material and taillight and grill when they saw the competition came out, but isn't that front offset test just recently come out, like few months ago? Some people in Honda has been working extra overtime I bet. First teh earthquake, then the flood, then this, and probably changes to the ILX, I think some people in Honda deserve a pat on the back.

OTOH, when they say the Civic was changed halfway, maybe this is the one, but they could not stop it already and had to go ahead and sell i first, I'm just guessing here.

Honda is either very quick at what they do or are way ahead before press releases, because the Malaysian hybrid production was just only announced a few months back and it took me by surprise when they already sellling them today!
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 21:06
TonyE wrote:As I said... marketing bumbled the ILX HORRIBLY....

Acura marketed the ILX so well my dad would've gotten one if he hadn't banged my mom...
jshaw
Profile for jshaw
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 21:09
TonyE wrote:
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
TonyE wrote:
luder715 wrote:

As I said... marketing bumbled the ILX HORRIBLY....

I think it's more then that. No limited slip diff on the 2.4 and no Navi on the 2.4 despite higher base pricing probably is strangling it. This is spite of the fact the much cheaper Civic Si comes standard with at least the limited slip diff (mechanical, not some silly brake based system), and can be had with a Navi (though standard in some markets).
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-30-2012 21:48
CarPhreakD wrote:
Waldo wrote:
longhorn wrote:

Those changes actually surprised me, to be honest. I expected cosmetic only.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 01:02
CarPhreakD wrote:

That small offset test was announced by the insurance institute as a goal for 2012, well after the early gestation period for the 2012 Civic. I'm pretty sure Honda builds the monocoque structure in the assembly factory, and can make design changes without involving suppliers. They are computer designed and analyzed. The change from 2012 to 2013 were probably pretty minor, and made specifically to meet the new requirement.

When Honda made the decision to substantially change the Civic for 2013, the suppliers were, no doubt, held to a "no-excuses" standard for contributing to the rush order.

The press (and CR's) reaction to the 2012 Civic was a major embarrassment for Honda. It is typical corporate PR puffery to suggest that the sudden, unprecedented, substantial change for 2013 was pre-planned. Nonsense. The decision was made the day that every newspaper in the US ran an article about how CR downgraded the Civic.

TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 07:26
MotorTrend: Quick Drive
Based off our initial impressions, it appears Honda has worked hard to address the problems we called out with the 2012 Civic in our eight-car comparison last year. Although it finished second in that test, it was dinged for its jittery suspension, noisy cabin, and lackluster styling -- all areas targeted for improvement. Its value was also questioned, as the similarly priced Hyundai Elantra threw in premium features such as navigation, leather, and a rear-view camera. Honda's followed that lead, expanding its list of standard features and adding higher-quality materials all for a relatively small $160 increase on all models. Starting at $18,355, the meat-and-potatoes LX is now the entry-level sedan, as the DX model has been dropped. While the Civic sedan starts trickling into dealerships today, the entire lineup (Hybrid, HF, Si, CNG) will be on sale by early February. Now that the Civic appears to have gotten its groove back, we can only anticipate sales numbers will continue to grow.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 12:09
This is all good stuff and I congrat Honda for their big efforts in a very short time! I'm sure they learned something from this great adventure and most likely will not make the same mistakes/missteps again.

Honda, we care deeply for you on many levels and want you to thrive and be true to yourself - and to those of us who have made this journey with you!

Acura? That's a whole other story...
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 12:41
That Motor Trend "Quick Drive" site has some great pictures in the gallery. There are quite a few 2012 and 2013 detailed comparison photos taken from the same position.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 12:55
Waldo wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

That small offset test was announced by the insurance institute as a goal for 2012, well after the early gestation period for the 2012 Civic. I'm pretty sure Honda builds the monocoque structure in the assembly factory, and can make design changes without involving suppliers. They are computer designed and analyzed. The change from 2012 to 2013 were probably pretty minor, and made specifically to meet the new requirement.

When Honda made the decision to substantially change the Civic for 2013, the suppliers were, no doubt, held to a "no-excuses" standard for contributing to the rush order.

The press (and CR's) reaction to the 2012 Civic was a major embarrassment for Honda. It is typical corporate PR puffery to suggest that the sudden, unprecedented, substantial change for 2013 was pre-planned. Nonsense. The decision was made the day that every newspaper in the US ran an article about how CR downgraded the Civic.

Are you serious? Monocoque stampings use some of the biggest dies in the industry, it's not just an overnight computer generated affair.

I remember an instance where an acquaintance that works at a major OEM was asked whether to redesign an electrical connector or to enlarge a hole in the monocoque. One option cost less than $50K in tooling and negligible price per part increase. The other required $2 million in tooling. I'll let you guess which one is which and what route he went.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 14:05
CarPhreakD wrote:

Something about the '12 interior, specifically the jigsaw puzzle nature of the dash, makes me think that the design was somewhat unfinished (in the sense that the engineering/design team didn't accomplish everything they wanted) when the car was released to manufacturing in early 2011. With limited time, my guess is that interior was a low priority compared to fuel economy and safety.

I know that microprocessor engineers at Intel do pretty much the same thing. Figure out what is feasible for a product within the design cycle deadline, and put the rest on a laundry list for the "mid-model refresh".

Glideslope
Profile for Glideslope
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 15:56

Drove an EX (No Navi) AT today. The interior is VERY nice. Much nicer than my 07 EX. I passed on 2012, for a few reasons. Mostly I did not like the handling, and interior.

The 13 is much more like my 2007 EX. Very crisp, tight, smooth.There must be BIG changes in the springs and shocks. Steering ratio feels quicker that the 12 also. It feels like a Honda now.The sway bars on the 2013 EX are larger than the 2012 Si.

I like the new rear quite a bit. The new front is ok, but just makes it look like a small Accord IMO. Which is ok. But really does not set it apart.

Did not notice any difference in power, AT, acceleration. Forgot to check the tires.

The interior and handling are game changers for me. I'm glad I waited. I did not want to move up to an Accord.

Honda is going to have a hard time keeping these on the lots.
No big $ saved on these.
Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 22:58
CarPhreakD wrote:

Are you serious? Monocoque stampings use some of the biggest dies in the industry, it's not just an overnight computer generated affair.

I remember an instance where an acquaintance that works at a major OEM was asked whether to redesign an electrical connector or to enlarge a hole in the monocoque. One option cost less than $50K in tooling and negligible price per part increase. The other required $2 million in tooling. I'll let you guess which one is which and what route he went.

Yes, I am serious. There were no dimensional changes, and modern computer design tools can calculate the necessary strength goal changes in a very short time. Honda had one press release that mentioned it was mostly accomplished by changing some of the steel to a stronger type. A year or 14 months is plenty of time to sort that out.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 23:36
Glideslope wrote:

Drove an EX (No Navi) AT today. The interior is VERY nice. Much nicer than my 07 EX. I passed on 2012, for a few reasons. Mostly I did not like the handling, and interior.

The 13 is much more like my 2007 EX. Very crisp, tight, smooth.There must be BIG changes in the springs and shocks. Steering ratio feels quicker that the 12 also. It feels like a Honda now.The sway bars on the 2013 EX are larger than the 2012 Si.

I like the new rear quite a bit. The new front is ok, but just makes it look like a small Accord IMO. Which is ok. But really does not set it apart.

Did not notice any difference in power, AT, acceleration. Forgot to check the tires.

The interior and handling are game changers for me. I'm glad I waited. I did not want to move up to an Accord.

No big $ saved on these.

Great to hear it drives like 8G civic which was known for its driving/handling characteristics.

Is it quieter than 8G civic?
RHalabi
Profile for RHalabi
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-01-2012 23:54
auto_enthu wrote:
Glideslope wrote:

No big $ saved on these.

Great to hear it drives like 8G civic which was known for its driving/handling characteristics.

Is it quieter than 8G civic?

The 9G is already quieter in 2012. So the 2013 with all the added sound proofing should be even more quieter then the 8th gen.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2012 12:31
auto_enthu wrote:
Glideslope wrote:

I'm also happy to read that Honda has returned to the nimble/connected driving characteristics of the 8G.

I believe that Honda has been using Continental ContiProContact tires on the 9G Civic EX. These are well regarded in the tirerack customer survey ratings.

Photos of the '13 Civic sedan at the LA auto show reveal the same Continentals: http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2013-honda-civic-la-2012/#photo-5469652
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2012 13:28
Waldo wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

Yes, I am serious. There were no dimensional changes, and modern computer design tools can calculate the necessary strength goal changes in a very short time. Honda had one press release that mentioned it was mostly accomplished by changing some of the steel to a stronger type. A year or 14 months is plenty of time to sort that out.

Honda did not change the percentage of HSS steel (which, by the way, also requires a die change or at least re-evaluation, considering they're usually harder to form), they stated that there were actual changes to those stampings. If you've worked in this industry you'd know how long it takes to change anything, nevermind a structural piece.
Glideslope
Profile for Glideslope
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-03-2012 10:07
I would say the interior is quieter. MUCH quieter than the 2012.
P54
Profile for P54
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 22:28
2013 Honda Civic Review - Video

Hit the road and the Civic immediately feels more premium for another reason: itís quiet. Added soundproofing material now coats much of the cabin, while the windshield glass and driverís side glass have been thickened. Honda claims the improvements are so significant the Civic is now in league with mid-size cars for the low level of sound intrusion into the cabin Ė and we donít disagree.

Waldo
Profile for Waldo
Re: 2013 Civic Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-08-2012 12:42
I wonder how many of the suspension upgrade mods were parts transferred over from the Acura ILX? Same platform, same factory. Makes sense to do just that as a quick fix. It could be that the engineering work done on the ILX to make a nice driving quiet small car really paid off big as the dna donor for the Civic.

Anybody drive an ILX and 2013 Civic back to back?

Thread Page - [1] 2 3
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy