[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Accord --> Re: Accord Sport vs. Civic Hybrid.....thoughts...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Valid reason for an ILX Type-S 2.0t/SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda to modify 12,000 redesigned Fits sold in US
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: CR-Z Supercharger released.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Where are the sport hybrids???
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> F1 - 2014 Belgian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Has anyone actually signed up for a new TLX yet?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford Fusion loses manual option
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Fit (and Jazz) > > Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
FondaHonda
Profile for FondaHonda
Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 14:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Honda Plans 3 Fit Variants, with Sedan, Crossover and Hatchback

Honda will Begin Building Fits, i.e., Sedan at the New Plant in Mexico in 2014

SOURCE: Automotive News -- December 7, 2012 - 12:38 pm ET

UPDATED: 12/07/2012 1:18 pm ET

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. plans to build three variants of its Fit compact, including a sedan version, at its Mexican plant currently under construction.

The two other variants are the standard hatchback and a Fit-based crossover, said an executive familiar with the plans.

Honda is considering selling all three in the United States, the person said. The company thinks a general shift toward small cars may fuel U.S. demand for a sedan-styled Fit. Honda currently sells a Fit-based sedan, called the City, in Asia.

A Honda source confirmed that a Fit-based crossover would be the second vehicle from the Mexican plant, but declined comment on a sedan variant.

The Mexican factory, scheduled to open in 2014 with annual capacity for 200,000 vehicles, expects to deliver as much 30 percent of its output to the Mexican market, the person said.

In October, Honda President Takanobu Ito told Automotive News the vast majority of the plant's output would go to the United States. But he declined to give figures.

The outlook implies a big Mexican sales surge for Honda.

In 2011 Honda sold only 36,209 vehicles in Mexico. This year sales were up 53 percent to 42,933 units through October. Adding 60,000 would more that double Honda's volume.

Honda's new Mexico plant, its second in the country, plays a key role in Ito's plan to lift North American sales 18 percent to 2 million units in the fiscal year ending March 31, 2017.

The Fit is expected to be the brand's fastest growing nameplate in that period, after a redesign scheduled for next year.

Producing the Fit in Mexico will give dealers more Fits to sell unburdened by the unfavorable dollar-yen exchange rate. The arrival of additional body-style variants also will help.

Elsewhere in the world, Honda already sells a Fit wagon, minivan and sedan. Honda has said it plans to add a crossover, but it has declined to say if it would come to U.S. showrooms.

In October, American Honda Motor Co. CEO Tetsuo Iwamura said the Mexico plant will build "multiple" derivatives of the Fit, but declined to specify what versions are planned.

Mark Rechtin contributed to this report.

FondaHonda
Profile for FondaHonda
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 15:09
After a lot of well deserved excitement paid to the completely NEW for MY13 Honda Accord and beautifully redesigned Crosstour, forthcoming 2014 Accord Hybrid duo, '13 Civic line-up and all new elegant 2014 Acura RLX sedan and state-of-the-art NSX sports car, it's extremely rewarding to hear of at least two (2) new variants to perhaps my favorite of all recent Honda products, the roomy little sizable Fit five door hatchback.

I hope you, too, enjoy the prospect of seeing each of the three (3) models highlighted in today's breaking news story sold here in North America as reported by Automotive News after my Honda insider friend shared with me as "fact" along with the possibility of a coupe, three door hatchback and convertible.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 15:45
Kool-Aid - a delicious way to keep hydrated with 1/3 less sugar than regular soda!
FondaHonda
Profile for FondaHonda
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 16:09
Neal wrote:
Kool-Aid - a delicious way to keep hydrated with 1/3 less sugar than regular soda!

An amazing vehicle! The crossover would make the most sense aside from the great five door that already exists given its amazing flexibility but there are many that should like the traditional look and trunk of a four door sedan. Choice is key in this segment, I think.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 16:51
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 17:22
Neal wrote:

I love the idea of a Fit-sized CUV - and I do think the Twist is cool - I just hope the next gen has a little more unique style to it. I've been interested in this type of product since Honda showed the Chinese Li Nian concept a few years ago. Kind of like a mini X6.

Also a fan of the JDM Toyota Urban Cruiser, which is essentially just a lifted Scion xD, similar to the Fit Twist.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 17:55
Potenza wrote:
Neal wrote:

I love the idea of a Fit-sized CUV - and I do think the Twist is cool - I just hope the next gen has a little more unique style to it. I've been interested in this type of product since Honda showed the Chinese Li Nian concept a few years ago. Kind of like a mini X6.

Also a fan of the JDM Toyota Urban Cruiser, which is essentially just a lifted Scion xD, similar to the Fit Twist.

1. I think the Fit- derived crossover would be similar in idea to the Fit Twist in Brazil, but very different in execution!

2. Thanks for reminding us the concept in China.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 17:59
Last but not least, I want to ask if any ToVers want a Fit-based sedan, and how many want a stylish hatchback with cues from JDM's N-One?
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 18:54
DrWhiner wrote:
Last but not least, I want to ask if any ToVers want a Fit-based sedan, and how many want a stylish hatchback with cues from JDM's N-One?

Fit hatchback's functionality is simply unbeatable. The sedan can never match it.

But if you've seen Honda city (sold in most asian countries) it is pretty stylish little sedan.

There are people who prefers sedans, although I prefer a Hatchback.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-07-2012 21:27
auto_enthu wrote:
Fit hatchback's functionality is simply unbeatable. The sedan can never match it.

But if you've seen Honda city (sold in most asian countries) it is pretty stylish little sedan.

There are people who prefers sedans, although I prefer a Hatchback.

I am one of the few that prefer the stuff in my trunk space don't intrude into my passenger space lol. Also because it is lower and can be more aerodynamic.

But the hatch is definitely VERY functional.
FondaHonda
Profile for FondaHonda
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 09:28
With many, if not most families needing more than one vehicle these days I would like to think not everyone wants two of the same body style. Even better put, there might not be the true need for more than one hatchback/wagon or crossover/SUV. I have a crossover-like vehicle and a four door sedan as countless others do, too. Variety is key and choice even in a Fit-sized automobile is awesome and actually practical in-and-of-itself. Good thinking, Honda-Acura, since many drive an Acura and a Honda or more :0)
FondaHonda
Profile for FondaHonda
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 09:33
BTW: I appreciate the vehicles showcased above! Sweet. I am far more excited not seeing what Honda may come up with after seeing each of these... Thanks fellow Temple Tech members!
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 10:14
DrWhiner wrote:

I would take the hatch version over the sedan version of a car any day. The insane practicality hatchback offers for relatively small cars outweighs most of the negatives. Also, I prefer the styling of hatchbacks over sedans (for example, the Ford Focus and Fiesta. The sedan versions are hideous.)
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-09-2012 20:49
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
I would take the hatch version over the sedan version of a car any day. The insane practicality hatchback offers for relatively small cars outweighs most of the negatives. Also, I prefer the styling of hatchbacks over sedans (for example, the Ford Focus and Fiesta. The sedan versions are hideous.)

Well it depends on what kind of hatch... the Honda Fit / Jazz is very good example, but my wife's Daihatsu Boon clone (hatch), is not a good example.. you can't fit 4 people + their (big) luggages for example, some of the luggage has to sit on the people. Either that or carry less people + luggage or fold down the seat carry all the luggage minus people. Or put luggage on the roof. It is only good car for space (parking) and city driving. But it is also very wide and also makes it difficult to park (for some people in some cases..)

And the Honda City is a good example sedan, other cars this size is not. The City's trunk is bigger and deeper than the Accords and you can fit everything you want into it (I once fit my grandmother's wheelchair + all my faimly luggage into it, still with space for more). The Toyota Vious which is competing with the City for example, can't even fit much into the trunk, one golf club is enough to fill it.. it as useless as the above Boon clone hatch.
bigblue
Profile for bigblue
next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-05-2013 18:09
From autoexpress.co.uk
Honda has confirmed that the next-generation Jazz will debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in November this year, and it will feature a sportier design inspired by the Urban SUV Concept.
[...]

"We want it to look sporty but we want the functionality carried over, so Jazz will still have the high seats and practicality," Hodgetts continued.
[...]
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 11:11
bigblue wrote:
From autoexpress.co.uk
Honda has confirmed that the next-generation Jazz will debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in November this year, and it will feature a sportier design inspired by the Urban SUV Concept.
[...]

"We want it to look sporty but we want the functionality carried over, so Jazz will still have the high seats and practicality," Hodgetts continued.
[...]

Based on the fact that virtually all of Honda's concepts have been slightly dressed up versions of production vehicles, I'm fairly confident that the Jazz/Fit unveiled in Tokyo will look like a lowered version of the Urban SUV Concept.

I really really like this design. The longer, taller hood and body creases give it a much more expressive presence than the current Fit/Jazz. As much as I admire the engineering in the current Fit, I am not a big fan of the exterior.

This may be Honda's most important launch this decade. I think it will help revive sales in Europe, reinforce Honda's position in North America, and build new markets in developing nations. It is the one vehicle that weirdly seems to work everywhere, because it is small on the outside, huge on the inside, and fun to drive. For the U.S. market, the biggest complaint about the Fit was NVH from the engine at highway speeds. If Honda can fix this with a higher-torque engine and CVT and 7DCT w' appropriate range of gearing, I think they can easily put popular hatchbacks like the Nissan Versa and Ford Fiesta on the defensive.
hondadude
Profile for hondadude
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 11:39
atomiclightbulb wrote:
bigblue wrote:
From autoexpress.co.uk
[...]

[...]

Based on the fact that virtually all of Honda's concepts have been slightly dressed up versions of production vehicles, I'm fairly confident that the Jazz/Fit unveiled in Tokyo will look like a lowered version of the Urban SUV Concept.

I really really like this design. The longer, taller hood and body creases give it a much more expressive presence than the current Fit/Jazz. As much as I admire the engineering in the current Fit, I am not a big fan of the exterior.

This may be Honda's most important launch this decade. I think it will help revive sales in Europe, reinforce Honda's position in North America, and build new markets in developing nations. It is the one vehicle that weirdly seems to work everywhere, because it is small on the outside, huge on the inside, and fun to drive. For the U.S. market, the biggest complaint about the Fit was NVH from the engine at highway speeds. If Honda can fix this with a higher-torque engine and CVT and 7DCT w' appropriate range of gearing, I think they can easily put popular hatchbacks like the Nissan Versa and Ford Fiesta on the defensive.

They also need to address the ride quality for the 3rd-gen Fit. After driving for awhile in the current Fit you just feel beat up when you get out of it. Also a must have is a driver's seat height adjustment! Instead of sitting in the seat I feel like I'm perched on top of the seat in the current model.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 14:04
Dude,

The Jazz has a height-adjustable driver's seat - are you sure that's not USDM penny-pinching?
TurkMan71
Profile for TurkMan71
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 14:18
hondadude wrote:
atomiclightbulb wrote:
bigblue wrote:
From autoexpress.co.uk
[...]

[...]

Also a must have is a driver's seat height adjustment! Instead of sitting in the seat I feel like I'm perched on top of the seat in the current model.

Don't think that will change, the gas tank below the front seats will always make you feel that way...
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 14:38
hondadude wrote:
They also need to address the ride quality for the 3rd-gen Fit. After driving for awhile in the current Fit you just feel beat up when you get out of it. Also a must have is a driver's seat height adjustment! Instead of sitting in the seat I feel like I'm perched on top of the seat in the current model.

Nick GravesX wrote:
Dude,

The Jazz has a height-adjustable driver's seat - are you sure that's not USDM penny-pinching?

The comments on suspension and conveniences raise an interesting point: the Fit has traditionally been American Honda's "budget" model, probably because it was the smallest car in the lineup. In the USDM Fit, stuff was probably left out to squeeze it in below the Civic. Honda shouldn't cheap out on the next USDM Fit just because it is the small car. I expect that there will be a "budget" trim, but I hope there will be trims where a high level of equipment is available.

Better shocks and an independent rear suspension would improve the ride quality. Some Fit owners at fitfreak.net thought the OEM shocks were pretty cheap. I think Honda also has a multi-link suspension that can be used on something like the Fit, because the Fit EV has a multilink.
CVCC1974
Profile for CVCC1974
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 18:08
atomiclightbulb wrote:
hondadude wrote:

Nick GravesX wrote:
Dude,

The comments on suspension and conveniences raise an interesting point: the Fit has traditionally been American Honda's "budget" model, probably because it was the smallest car in the lineup. In the USDM Fit, stuff was probably left out to squeeze it in below the Civic. Honda shouldn't cheap out on the next USDM Fit just because it is the small car. I expect that there will be a "budget" trim, but I hope there will be trims where a high level of equipment is available.

Better shocks and an independent rear suspension would improve the ride quality. Some Fit owners at fitfreak.net thought the OEM shocks were pretty cheap. I think Honda also has a multi-link suspension that can be used on something like the Fit, because the Fit EV has a multilink.

Actually the Fit EV rides on a different platform than the regular Fit. It is more similar to the Civic platform, with the flat-floor & the multi-link suspension setup being used (thus no 'magic seats' made possible). But I hope the next-gen Fit will have both multi-link & torsion-beam rear-suspension options fitted into the same platform (just like Toyota Corolla & Hyundai Elantra platforms that both have 2 different rear suspension options), but that would take some of the rear cargo capacity.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 18:47
Nick GravesX wrote:
Dude,

it's been quite a while since I've been in a Fit, but they don't list a height adjustment on the features list.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-06-2013 19:13
JeffX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:
Dude,

it's been quite a while since I've been in a Fit, but they don't list a height adjustment on the features list.

Ah well, you can stuff your California sunshine; this makes it all worthwhile:

S
1.2 i-VTEC
Manual
1.2 i-VTEC S features include:
Electric front windows
Electric heated and adjustable mirrors
Height adjustable driversí seat
Driversí vanity mirror
Tilt and telescopic steering
wheel adjustment
15" steel wheels
Auxiliary socket
Stereo CD tuner with RDS and
MP3 compatibility
Reclining rear seats
S A/C
1.2 i-VTEC
Manual
In addition to the features of the
1.2 i-VTEC S, the 1.2 i-VTEC S A/C
also includes:
Manual air conditioning
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 17:24
Nick GravesX wrote:

1.2 i-VTEC
1.2 i-VTEC
/I]

Hah! you wish.

Not only do we have sunshine and good mexican burritos while you're stuck with rain and Scottish "food" but the NA Fit has a 1.5 liter!

And we got one (09) Sport, MT5, Navi, AC, that would own European Fits.

And yeah! No height adjustment in the Fit seats, but then we never needed it.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 17:58
Yeah! But they get the Jazz Si!

http://www.honda.co.uk/cars/jazz/jazzsi/

;-)
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 21:00
I never feel tired driving my Fit (no matter the distance or time), but then again, it doesn't have the stock height adjustment seats bolted in either. A non-sliding rail setup for my body size, full buckets reside instead.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-07-2013 21:55
I hope the seat is adjusted low for tall people, or else this pretty much blows the Fit out of my list.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: next Fit/Jazz to be seen at November's Tokyo Motor Show    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 13:18
TonyEX wrote:
Nick GravesX wrote:

1.2 i-VTEC
1.2 i-VTEC
/I]

Hah! you wish.

Not only do we have sunshine and good mexican burritos while you're stuck with rain and Scottish "food" but the NA Fit has a 1.5 liter!

And we got one (09) Sport, MT5, Navi, AC, that would own European Fits.

And yeah! No height adjustment in the Fit seats, but then we never needed it.

We do get haggises, which are good. But the deep-fried Mars bars don't make it this far south.

Don't forget there's the seafood restaurants and the Japanese ones and the miles of beaches....

Yeah, it's pissing down here today.

Still, we have a height-adjustable seat on the Jizz. Did I mention that?

DeuxCrx
Profile for DeuxCrx
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 15:06
FondaHonda wrote:

TOKYO -- Honda Motor Co. plans to build three variants of its Fit compact, including a sedan version, at its Mexican plant currently under construction.

Are they going to rename the Fit as the "Siesta"? Personally, I refuse to even consider purchasing a car made in Mexico. I'd buy something that the lazy shmucks of the UAW produced first.

No way, Jose!
DavidJ
Profile for DavidJ
Re: Honda Plans Three Fit Variants Beginning in 2014!    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-08-2013 15:41
DeuxCrx wrote:
FondaHonda wrote:

Are they going to rename the Fit as the "Siesta"? Personally, I refuse to even consider purchasing a car made in Mexico. I'd buy something that the lazy shmucks of the UAW produced first.

No way, Jose!

Is that opinion based on fact, or just plain racism?

Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy