[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
Civic --> slightly tweaked 2014 Euro Civic hatch
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Crosstour's next-generation enemy: 2015 Subaru Outback
Join Discussion......
Prelude --> Re: 2016 Honda Prelude for the American Market?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon + A3 Sportback for US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Mustang at 50
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future Honda Small RWD Sports Car
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Updated Camry, New Sonata
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: A powerful message
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Accord praised by Winding Road

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 05:17
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Accord as seen by Winding Road.

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/87/

Either way, if you want a capable, roomy, high-quality sedan with hardly any faults to be found, you'll be doing just fine with this new Accord.
Malcolm

:)
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 08:06
I agree with WR, if you're going to purchase an Accord, buy the 6.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 11:42
Winding Road video......watch the tach as it as the speedo accelerates to 60, very eery,teh CVT will take some getting used too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smTEJ8pziTs
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 11:52
I meant on acceleration tests. The way the tack revs up to the redline and just stays there is weird for an automatic. No jerky, no shifting.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 11:59
longhorn wrote:
I meant on acceleration tests. The way the tack revs up to the redline and just stays there is weird for an automatic. No jerky, no shifting.

Haha yea...but then there's the S mode so that the transmission will simulate a 7-speed auto with the shifts.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 20:12
longhorn wrote:

When driving a CVT during acceleration like that, just think of it as airplane on takeoff :)
Stien Azani
Profile for Stien Azani
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 20:38
from the article.. "the only disappointment was in that, in our tester, there were no way to shift through the gears on our own. The console mounted shift lever was your basic PRND setup, with no manual mode. The only addition was as S mode at the bottom..."

is that the paddle shifter behind the steering is to shift the gears manually (put the shift lever in S and you can select according to your desire gears)?
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 20:52
Stien Azani wrote:
is that the paddle shifter behind the steering is to shift the gears manually (put the shift lever in S and you can select according to your desire gears)?

Probably they don't have the paddles... then which makes it weird that S makes the car 'shift'.. totally different than like in the EK3 in Drive the where the rev stops around 4K, and using S the rev goes up to redlline and stays there..
turdburger
Profile for turdburger
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2012 19:12
CVT...... you'll get used to it.

Just like going from Windows 7 to windows 8, or xp to windows 7. You'll get used it, and you won't give it a second thought.

I come from 5 and 6 speed cars, and the accord and altima CVTs didn't even catch my attention.

Besides, the higher it stays revved, the more power you get.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 17:28
I just got back from driving a Sport w/CVT. Most definately not a drivers car. The sport mode is like putting a conventional automatic in low and pegging the tachometer. The normal drive position is IMO is non remarkable (spelled boring). I did a quick circle in a parking lot and the wheel hop was very pronounced with the 18" wheels. I took it on a twisty road and almost lost it. It doesn't stay planted and without the benefit of being able to downshift, the car tends to want to take you for a ride, instead of you taking it for a ride.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 18:41
Jet Sitter wrote:
I just got back from driving a Sport w/CVT. Most definately not a drivers car. The sport mode is like putting a conventional automatic in low

"CVT" and "Sport" don't go together IMO. An automatic transmission just cannot match the direct engagement and flexibility of a manual tranny.

Despite the wider tires and twin exhausts, the Accord is still basically a large-ish midsize sedan weighing 3200-3300 lbs. It's not going to be be tossable like a Civic Si.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 19:25
I'm waiting to hear the comments from the people who ordered the 6mt Sport. If I were to buy an Accord, that is likely the only one that I'd be interested in.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 01:01
Jet Sitter wrote:
I just got back from driving a Sport w/CVT. Most definately not a drivers car. The sport mode is like putting a conventional automatic in low and pegging the tachometer. The normal drive position is IMO is non remarkable (spelled boring). I did a quick circle in a parking lot and the wheel hop was very pronounced with the 18" wheels. I took it on a twisty road and almost lost it. It doesn't stay planted and without the benefit of being able to downshift, the car tends to want to take you for a ride, instead of you taking it for a ride.

You test drove the wrong car, you should have gone down the BMW dealer and test drove a basic 3 series (the leases are similar) if thats your normal way of driving. Infiniti has some pretty nice lease deals on G series too...........notice the common denominator of the vehicles I just described.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 10:39
Jet Sitter wrote:
I took it on a twisty road and almost lost it.

Did the salesman go with you?
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 11:02
He's the one who told me to "get on it!" I do believe that with the proper tires and a 6mt the experience would have been much more desirable. I've driven the same road with my 2000 EX, 5mt and Potenza tires and the cornering is smooth and precise. Not having the ability to downshift and the "free wheeling" attitude of the CVT, can put you into a bad situation. If the intention of Honda was to develop a fuel efficient grocery getter, than they shouldn't attach "sport" to the rear of the car. As I mentioned, I can't wait to hear the experiences of the people who purchased the 6mt. I believe that car will have much better characteristics, just for the fact you can down shift and apply power to take you through the turns.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 11:30
longhorn wrote:
Jet Sitter wrote:

You test drove the wrong car, you should have gone down the BMW dealer and test drove a basic 3 series (the leases are similar) if thats your normal way of driving. Infiniti has some pretty nice lease deals on G series too...........notice the common denominator of the vehicles I just described.

The Accord is a family car that offers a slightly sporty Sport trim. It's not pretending to be a sport sedan yet it's handling is safe and predictable.

A base 3 Series isn't what you'd think as the Sport package makes a substantial difference. However if I was going for an entry level sport/luxury sedan and based my decision on chassis dynamics alone I'd skip BMW, Infiniti and Audi and go for the Cadillac ATS as its chassis is SUBLIME and best in class. The drivetrains however are a step behind in refinement.

~Patrick
talon95
Profile for talon95
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 16:41
Jet Sitter wrote:
Not having the ability to downshift and the "free wheeling" attitude of the CVT, can put you into a bad situation.

When in S mode, don't the paddle shifters give you that ability (or a reasonable facsimile)?
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 19:57
talon95 wrote:
Jet Sitter wrote:
Not having the ability to downshift and the "free wheeling" attitude of the CVT, can put you into a bad situation.

When in S mode, don't the paddle shifters give you that ability (or a reasonable facsimile)?

Even without flappy paddles, with Honda's AT if you brake hard enough it will automatically downshift. I am assuming the CVT is no different...
talon95
Profile for talon95
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 20:16
FiSH-Chan wrote:
Even without flappy paddles, with Honda's AT if you brake hard enough it will automatically downshift. I am assuming the CVT is no different...

Understood... but if the CVT wasn't working to his satisfaction and he was driving a Sport CVT, use of the paddles is a clear alternative, one that should offer more driver control over the transmission. So I was wondering if he used them.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Accord praised by Winding Road    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 20:36
talon95 wrote:
Understood... but if the CVT wasn't working to his satisfaction and he was driving a Sport CVT, use of the paddles is a clear alternative, one that should offer more driver control over the transmission. So I was wondering if he used them.

Yeah, that too..

I am referring to the 'bad situation' that he mentioned, I have driven mainly automatics for years but I have never encountered anything bad due to that. The new ATs are pretty good now-even mild braking the car will downshift and panic accelrate/brake the car will also downshift quickly, I can see it this when my wife is driving (I will make use of paddle, she don't)... so don't really see how anyone can go from a bad situation into worse with an automatic, provided we understand how the car works.

In my country we are required to learn manual to drive, and I see all sort of people who don't understand how the car works EVEN with manual. They start the engine while still in first gear and crash into things / cars / people / buildings / drains / off cliffs, or they don't downshift going uphill, stall and roll back into the car behind them. Seriously, automatic or not is never the problem, it is always the people.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy