[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
Today's Reading Links --> Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: WTF!? Honda AXES Euro ACCORD
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Saw a 2015 CR-V today
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Project TLX 2.4
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > 2nd Generation Acura RL > > Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffreynLA
Profile for JeffreynLA
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 14:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondu wrote:
JeffreynLA wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
Wild thought but does this seem plausible?

The ~180hp FWD ILX replaces the 201/280hp FWD TSX. This leaves room for the new smaller FWD TL to go down to ~230hp. Thus making room for a FWD RL to be ~280hp (the limit Honda/Acura seems to give FWD).

I was thinking along the same line that the TL is going smaller and they will offer a lower HP/lower priced model to take up the space currently held by the TSX.

Then the FWD RL can be aimed at the ES350 customer with the AWD model aimed towards the E/5 customers.

My guess would be the ILX 2.4L model will receive and AT/CVT version as soon as the TSX is dropped in 2014 and ED engines are installed. I could see the TL getting a lower HP V6, and would be surprised if an I4 was added.

I would agree with you. I don't see the TL getting a 4 either and the ILX will offer more combinations once the TSX is gone.

Overall, I am not a fan of the way Acura is reconfiguring themselves. They seem to be moving backwards too far IMHO.

MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 14:42
I agree with lexusgs that Acura would be making a dangerous move by selling a FWD RL with 280hp. This is the Acura flagship sedan - any comparison to A6 is not relevant, because A8 is the flagship.

My guess is that Acura would be better off selling a regular SH-AWD and eSH-AWD. You want to crack the mid-size luxury segment? Come out with stellar models. Mid 90's is way in the past. Lexus and Infiniti would laugh their ass off if RL comes with FWD. Leave FWD to TL.

eSH-AWD 0-60 better be < 5.5 sec.
n8dog82
Profile for n8dog82
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 15:22
Would it be more logical to assume that the base non hybrid RL will come with the new lighter non-torque-vectoring system of the 2013 RDX?
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 16:53
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
I agree with lexusgs that Acura would be making a dangerous move by selling a FWD RL with 280hp. This is the Acura flagship sedan - any comparison to A6 is not relevant, because A8 is the flagship.

My guess is that Acura would be better off selling a regular SH-AWD and eSH-AWD. You want to crack the mid-size luxury segment? Come out with stellar models. Mid 90's is way in the past. Lexus and Infiniti would laugh their ass off if RL comes with FWD. Leave FWD to TL.

Dangerous how? I doubt RL sales could go any lower than they already are at this time. You think a FWD flagship could tarnish the brand further? Seriously doubt that.

So what is your take on BMW coming out with FWD vehicles soon? The whole brand image is based on the Ultimate Driving Experience.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 17:07
Hondu wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

Dangerous how? I doubt RL sales could go any lower than they already are at this time. You think a FWD flagship could tarnish the brand further? Seriously doubt that.

So what is your take on BMW coming out with FWD vehicles soon? The whole brand image is based on the Ultimate Driving Experience.

The FWD BMW models are the bottom rung models, the lowest entry point into their brand.

For Acura to go from SH-AWD and 300+ hp standard in their flagship sedan to FWD and less hp would be one giant step backwards. Let the TL occupy that space. They should keep RL AWD and bump up the hp.
MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 17:17
Hondu, I guess you are just being sarcastic; otherwise it's just stating the obvious we all know.

Obviously the sales goal is not the current RL, with sales in the sub 100 range. My guess is that Acura would be very happy to go head to head with the new Lexus GS, Infiniti M, with monthly sales near 1-1.5K. If not, there's no point building a new RL.

BMW's FWD is not here yet and won't be here for a while. The new generation of 1 series is just released, and BMWs are on a 6-7 year life cycle. When it's here, it'll be the cheapest very low end BMW.

Also, BMW is building more luxury cruisers. Look at the recent 5, 6, and 7. We don't know how the new 3 will stack up. Its sporty brand image now depends on the M models.
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 17:55
I don't think the RL really has any image - it's just a car that nobody buys. In my mind Acura is kind of starting over from scratch when it comes to the RL - so adding a FWD only version wouldn't be the end of the world. Look at it this way: Acura could QUADRUPLE 2011's sales of the RL and still only sell 4000 units in 2012. Plus every review I've ever read about the 2012 base TL has been positive. Acura can do whatever it wants with this model as far as I'm concerned.

But the ILX has three power trains so it wouldn't be crazy for the RL to have just as many if Acura wants the RL to appeal to lots of buyers.

I think the new lighter weight, more fuel efficient AWD system would be great for the base model RL. The biggest issue is going to be the engine choice. Since Acura has already compared it to the 5-series, let's look at the BMW's powertrain choices.

The 528i xdrive has a 2.0 twin turbo with 240 lb-ft and 260 hp and is rated 22/32/26 with the 8-speed tranny.

The 535xi has 300 hp, 300 lb-ft and is rated at 21/30/24.

The 550xi has 400 hp and 450 lb-ft and is rated at 15/20/17 (slight confusion on this one as BMW's website has 16/24 listed and fueleconomy.gov has 15/20).

I wonder if Acura will put two or three different power trains in the RL. Obviously the eSH-AWD version will have at least 400 hp and probably ~425lb-ft of torque and should get much better fuel economy ratings than the 550. The new DI V6 should offer 315+ hp and 280+lb-ft - if they put the 7DCT with it that would be awesome and should equal the 21/30 numbers of the 335. They haven't said much about the 7DCT outside of the fact that it will be going with the eSHAWD power train. Acura stated that when they re-did the 2012 TL they tested transmissions with more than 6 gears but didn't see any need as it already got rated at 20/29 (FWD). Well - there is a need if BMW (even if no one considers the two brands competitors) can get 21/30 with AWD and 300 hp...every extra 1 or 2% improvement is going to matter.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 18:07
Hondu wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

It is dangerous because Acura should be going upmarket with the RL, not downmarket. The RL is not selling now because its design is too old and to many you can get something more upmarket now for the same price, it is not very competitive anymore aside from the lower end.

People were expecting the next RL to be flagship sized, rwd, and have a V8, now it is not getting any of those things. E SHAWD was supposed to make up for those things but now they are saying it won't be standard but most likely a very expensive option. It appears to be going in the complete opposite direction and going downmarket which again will make sure interest/reviews are mediocre and it again competes more with the TL then anything else. People are going to say Hyundai(which the new RL is said to resemble) has 2 large lux sedans that are rwd with V8s while Acura has neither. What's going on? Acura should at least have the eSHAWD with around 400hp standard to shut critics up.

The Legend and RL were not supposed to generate big sales numbers, it was there to show the world what Acura can do and have something for TL buyers to step up to and compete in higher segments.

BMW is coming out with fwd cars for the very bottom segments, they already have rwd and strong 6 and 8 cylinders along with big flagships and a popular performance wing.

NoSpinZone
Profile for NoSpinZone
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 18:21
Shouldn't we take into consideration that Honda is a company who's entire heritage goes against something as entirely over-luxurious and massive as a LS, 7-series, etc?

The Legend was hardly a luxurious showpiece... it was just an amazing overall car for more traditional reasons. I don't think Honda should do a FWD RL, but I hardly think worrying about competing with a LS or 7-series is the direction from which we should be worrying about not properly competing.
RolledaNsx
Profile for RolledaNsx
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 18:35
Wow! So many ??????????

Little hints...
why would the RL have more than one powertrain? Never did and why would they start now?!?! look at the sales,bean counters don't like red ink!
Also the 7sp dct was design 3 yrs ago for the longitudinal engines for the front engine Nsx and rwd RL not for the
transverse J-series V6.
So I'm looking forward to the NYC Auto Show for Acura can surprise
sivikvtec
Profile for sivikvtec
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 18:52
Oh look, they are going make another $50k Accord.

Yea, that's not gonna tank.

LOL

They might as well put it out of its misery if they are not going to do it right....
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 19:04
With so much of tainted image that RL carries, the least that RL needs at this point, to make potential buyers even look into it, is very good reviews from popular auto magazines.

If FWD is the only non-hybrid option offered for RL, and with expected weight distribution of no better than 60/40 in such a case, and expected HP of around 270-300 HP, which becomes too much power on front wheels, auto magazines are only going to give negative reviews.

If Acura thinks Audi A6 sells fronttrak trim, then it needs to realize that A6 fronttrak is only sold with a smaller engine (around 211HP) and it has better weight distribution 55/45 than even SHAWD RL, and is sold in low $40ks. Moreover, A6 offers quattro which is more popular and more direct competition to E-class/5-series.

Acura should leave FWD market to TL and make RL only with AWD. I don't think there is any FWD market that exists upward of $50k.

MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 19:15
NoSpinZone wrote:
Shouldn't we take into consideration that Honda is a company who's entire heritage goes against something as entirely over-luxurious and massive as a LS, 7-series, etc?

The Legend was hardly a luxurious showpiece... it was just an amazing overall car for more traditional reasons. I don't think Honda should do a FWD RL, but I hardly think worrying about competing with a LS or 7-series is the direction from which we should be worrying about not properly competing.

Who said Acura is competing for LS or 7 series buyers? Acura would be happy just to have a spot in the mid size market, where the Germans rule with E, 5, and A6.

The Legend was great at its time but that's 20 years ago. Acura needs some major effort just to stay competitive with GS and M, not to mention the mighty Germans.
WingZ
Profile for WingZ
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 19:37
lexusgs wrote:
Hondu wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

It is dangerous because Acura should be going upmarket with the RL, not downmarket. The RL is not selling now because its design is too old and to many you can get something more upmarket now for the same price, it is not very competitive anymore aside from the lower end.

People were expecting the next RL to be flagship sized, rwd, and have a V8, now it is not getting any of those things. E SHAWD was supposed to make up for those things but now they are saying it won't be standard but most likely a very expensive option. It appears to be going in the complete opposite direction and going downmarket which again will make sure interest/reviews are mediocre and it again competes more with the TL then anything else. People are going to say Hyundai(which the new RL is said to resemble) has 2 large lux sedans that are rwd with V8s while Acura has neither. What's going on? Acura should at least have the eSHAWD with around 400hp standard to shut critics up.

The Legend and RL were not supposed to generate big sales numbers, it was there to show the world what Acura can do and have something for TL buyers to step up to and compete in higher segments.

BMW is coming out with fwd cars for the very bottom segments, they already have rwd and strong 6 and 8 cylinders along with big flagships and a popular performance wing.

Hey Lexusgs did I miss something but everything that Honda told us on the Earthdreams tech sounded like it was mean for the RL and MDX and some of it for the TL.

# A new hybrid system, electric SH-AWD, was developed for large-sized vehicles. By combining a 3.5L, V6 engine with this hybrid system, acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, as well as fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines were realized.
# An electric 4WD system with independent 20kW+ motors on both sides for the rear wheels combines a 7-speed dual clutch transmission system with a built-in 30kW+ high-efficiency motor with the engine.

"Large size" vehicles would be RL and MDX right?? I know it's being adapted to the NSX however it sounds like it was meant to help Acura compete with the V8's in the classes that those two are in.
dohc89
Profile for dohc89
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 19:55
I am not impressed at all. Actually, I'm quite disappointed. I loved the RL initially, but Acura has become a laggard, and rested on what does not exist anymore "it's laurels". The second gen Legend had me thinking that Acura was headed to a better place, the the RL came. It was nice, and sized comparably with the same gen Lexus LS, but as Lexus went on Acura stayed. The RL, is not a car that anyone "needs", it's one that should make people say "that's it". If you get that with a 2012 Chrysler 300C which is thousands less, and now offers almost as much technology, something is wrong. And we all know that the new one is a head turner. 205.0/74.0/58.0 w/a 120 wheelbase is not over the top. The whole V6 electric hybrid thing isn't going to do anything to propel this car into another stratosphere, they need to leave that to lesser cars, and put this car in the place where the Legend was. It was a car people aspired to own. The RL is not even a blip on the radar. I for one am very disappointed in Acura for this. I know for certain, I won't be coming back to Acura for a sedan if this info is correct. Take note dealers, I am not the only one to feel this way. You all need to take it to those dealer meetings, and let it be known what we want, and don't want.
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 20:46
auto_enthu wrote:
With so much of tainted image that RL carries, the least that RL needs at this point, to make potential buyers even look into it, is very good reviews from popular auto magazines.

If FWD is the only non-hybrid option offered for RL, and with expected weight distribution of no better than 60/40 in such a case, and expected HP of around 270-300 HP, which becomes too much power on front wheels, auto magazines are only going to give negative reviews.

If Acura thinks Audi A6 sells fronttrak trim, then it needs to realize that A6 fronttrak is only sold with a smaller engine (around 211HP) and it has better weight distribution 55/45 than even SHAWD RL, and is sold in low $40ks. Moreover, A6 offers quattro which is more popular and more direct competition to E-class/5-series.

Acura should leave FWD market to TL and make RL only with AWD. I don't think there is any FWD market that exists upward of $50k.

I agree with everything quoted from auto_enthu and was about to post something similar.

Would Acura position the two motor hybrid system from the Accord as the standard instead, perhaps with a higher performance i4? This way, weight distribution is better, power is lower to the front wheels. Downsides are still the price unless they can bring the price below what our expectations are.

Another alternative is the lighter AWD similar to the RDX. Thoughts?
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 22:22
All this speculation that the RL or whatever they decide to call it will be a failure is a little premature. If we learn anything from the three concepts at Detroit, Acura can surprise us and I think we all can agree that was a pretty good showing. I think it great Acura is moving forward with offering new products and with this one they decided to go conservative, but I suspect it will look good in the flesh. Who's to say they wont dust off the old SH moniker and add 4WS to make the product a little more sporty. Also, most PR announcements from Acura after the auto crisis indicated v8 was canned, but i don't recall anything about RWD, maybe just maybe (but that would be contrary to the e-sh=awd set up) Or maybe they are just going for luxury over sport, after all the whole line up doesn't have to have to be sport intentions first. A soft cruiser wouldn't be bad and may capture some older buyers with cash to spend.
That is why I love this site and the sensible comments we enthusiast post, I have noticed that Jeff and Andrew have been somewhat quite since Detroit, they probably know a little more about what's in the pipeline and we may be in for surprises, or disappointment. Time will tell!
Also all this whining about Acura not this not that, they are doing better than a lot of premium brands. Who have brands like Saab, Lincoln and to some extent Jaguar on the verge of extinction. Infiniti is also lost and yet many claim they are Tier one,go figure.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 09:07
Mikeydred wrote:
All this speculation that the RL or whatever they decide to call it will be a failure is a little premature. If we learn anything from the three concepts at Detroit, Acura can surprise us and I think we all can agree that was a pretty good showing. I think it great Acura is moving forward with offering new products and with this one they decided to go conservative, but I suspect it will look good in the flesh. Who's to say they wont dust off the old SH moniker and add 4WS to make the product a little more sporty. Also, most PR announcements from Acura after the auto crisis indicated v8 was canned, but i don't recall anything about RWD, maybe just maybe (but that would be contrary to the e-sh=awd set up) Or maybe they are just going for luxury over sport, after all the whole line up doesn't have to have to be sport intentions first. A soft cruiser wouldn't be bad and may capture some older buyers with cash to spend.
That is why I love this site and the sensible comments we enthusiast post, I have noticed that Jeff and Andrew have been somewhat quite since Detroit, they probably know a little more about what's in the pipeline and we may be in for surprises, or disappointment. Time will tell!
Also all this whining about Acura not this not that, they are doing better than a lot of premium brands. Who have brands like Saab, Lincoln and to some extent Jaguar on the verge of extinction. Infiniti is also lost and yet many claim they are Tier one,go figure.

All that I know about the RL was posted in December (on the 12th, I believe)- no real RL news since then.

We will see the concept or prototype (or whatever they're going to be calling it) at the New York auto show. Production versions of the ILX and RDX will be revealed in Chicago, so you'll know what the interior of the ILX looks like then. Interestingly, they're revealing these 2 cars to the public before the media gets their first crack at them in March.

But to possibly restate what I said about the new RL, the photos they showed to us made it look a lot like a slightly enlarged version of the current RL. As I recall, the taillight shapes are pretty similar and the general headlamp shapes are also similar, except there are multiple LED elements housed within the headlamps. Overall it's a pretty reserved design, it generally looks good but it doesn't jump out of the photograph at you.

It will feature the sport-hybrid AWD system, and it's all but a certainty that it will use the new earth dreams Direct Injection SOHC V6. This powertrain is quite nice - under normal operation, you start out in pure EV mode and it gives a very refined, luxury feel. The 7-speed dual clutch transmission provides plenty of sport and refinement. The biggest knock against these automated manual gearboxes is always the low speed operation and the EV mode of this system completely mitigates that issue, so you end up with the seamless and almost instantaneous shifting benefits of the DSG without any of the drawbacks. Refinement. And the updated V6 is quite stout - acceleration of the test mule felt quite strong. It might not be much quicker than a current TL, but how much quicker does a luxury car really need to be, especially when this one will be more refined, more efficient, and more capable in terms of handling?

The current RL is actually a really nice car. Unfortunately it presents a troubling value proposition for too many people. For the money, it's not really a standout in any category: styling, performance, driving excitement, efficiency, roominess... It just falls flat on pretty much all of those. It's competent, but that's it.

The new RL won't be pushing the envelope on styling (unless you feel that cars of this stature should exude conservatism and class, as opposed to trying to set the latest fashion), but all the other categories will get nice bumps and hopefully the price doesn't increase too much and HOPEFULLY nothing comes at the expense of the RL's current quality levels. The differences are subtle but if you examine and compare an RL to a TL, you will see a lot of areas where money went in the RL's favor.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 09:41
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
Hondu, I guess you are just being sarcastic; otherwise it's just stating the obvious we all know.

Obviously the sales goal is not the current RL, with sales in the sub 100 range. My guess is that Acura would be very happy to go head to head with the new Lexus GS, Infiniti M, with monthly sales near 1-1.5K. If not, there's no point building a new RL.

BMW's FWD is not here yet and won't be here for a while. The new generation of 1 series is just released, and BMWs are on a 6-7 year life cycle. When it's here, it'll be the cheapest very low end BMW.

Also, BMW is building more luxury cruisers. Look at the recent 5, 6, and 7. We don't know how the new 3 will stack up. Its sporty brand image now depends on the M models.

I know the BMW FWD is going to be the low end range, but it still is a huge shift in direction for a Tier 1 luxury brand that brands itself as a RWD sporty company. Acura isn't Tier 1, and have no plans to go there any more. If you go to BMW sites, people are talking the change as heresy (a lot like some of the talk on here about Honda).

If Acura comes out with the eSHAWD vehicle first and that receives great media attention and accolades, then add a FWD version later on, I bet most people won't even notice or care. In fact, I seriously doubt that a lot BMW and Mercedes drviers even know their cars are RWD, or even care.

If an A6 can have FWD, I don't see why an RL couldn't have FWD, as long as you have the eSHAWD model as well.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 09:58
lexusgs wrote:
Hondu wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

Well in case you missed the memo, Acura is no longer going after Tier 1, so there will be no RWD or V8 any time soon. I don't think the RL will compete with the 7-series, A8, LS or S-class, but rather the 5 series, A6, GS level of cars. The A6 comes with FWD and BMW puts a 4 cylinder in their 5 series, so the RL with FWD is not the end of the world.

The new RL with the eSHAWD will show what Acura can do and the new ED V6 I'm sure will have pretty competitive numbers and fuel economy. Which will hopefully shut the critics up and increase sales 10 times compared to now.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 10:05
auto_enthu wrote:

According to Edmunds.com, the 2011 A6 3.2 Premium comes with a 3.2L V6 with 265HP and FWD.
ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 10:33
Hondu wrote:
[
If Acura comes out with the eSHAWD vehicle first and that receives great media attention and accolades, then add a FWD version later on, I bet most people won't even notice or care. In fact, I seriously doubt that a lot BMW and Mercedes drviers even know their cars are RWD, or even care.

If an A6 can have FWD, I don't see why an RL couldn't have FWD, as long as you have the eSHAWD model as well.

+1

auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 13:08
Hondu wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

According to Edmunds.com, the 2011 A6 3.2 Premium comes with a 3.2L V6 with 265HP and FWD.

Not sure if you've noticed, that's no more the case starting 2012. A6 fronttrack is only offerred with turbo4 211 hp (starting invoice $38k).

310 HP V6 is only offered with Quattro starting 2012, with starting invoice of $46k.

That means, if you consider the price point, Audi competes in 5-series/E-class price range only with quattro and not with a FWD.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 14:04
Jeff wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

All that I know about the RL was posted in December (on the 12th, I believe)- no real RL news since then.

We will see the concept or prototype (or whatever they're going to be calling it) at the New York auto show. Production versions of the ILX and RDX will be revealed in Chicago, so you'll know what the interior of the ILX looks like then. Interestingly, they're revealing these 2 cars to the public before the media gets their first crack at them in March.

But to possibly restate what I said about the new RL, the photos they showed to us made it look a lot like a slightly enlarged version of the current RL. As I recall, the taillight shapes are pretty similar and the general headlamp shapes are also similar, except there are multiple LED elements housed within the headlamps. Overall it's a pretty reserved design, it generally looks good but it doesn't jump out of the photograph at you.

It will feature the sport-hybrid AWD system, and it's all but a certainty that it will use the new earth dreams Direct Injection SOHC V6. This powertrain is quite nice - under normal operation, you start out in pure EV mode and it gives a very refined, luxury feel. The 7-speed dual clutch transmission provides plenty of sport and refinement. The biggest knock against these automated manual gearboxes is always the low speed operation and the EV mode of this system completely mitigates that issue, so you end up with the seamless and almost instantaneous shifting benefits of the DSG without any of the drawbacks. Refinement. And the updated V6 is quite stout - acceleration of the test mule felt quite strong. It might not be much quicker than a current TL, but how much quicker does a luxury car really need to be, especially when this one will be more refined, more efficient, and more capable in terms of handling?

The current RL is actually a really nice car. Unfortunately it presents a troubling value proposition for too many people. For the money, it's not really a standout in any category: styling, performance, driving excitement, efficiency, roominess... It just falls flat on pretty much all of those. It's competent, but that's it.

The new RL won't be pushing the envelope on styling (unless you feel that cars of this stature should exude conservatism and class, as opposed to trying to set the latest fashion), but all the other categories will get nice bumps and hopefully the price doesn't increase too much and HOPEFULLY nothing comes at the expense of the RL's current quality levels. The differences are subtle but if you examine and compare an RL to a TL, you will see a lot of areas where money went in the RL's favor.

I agree the RL is a very nice car, but it had too many shortcomings at least the 2nd generation and that has led to its demise. The issue is it was built as a Honda first, with the European market in mind. When the RL debuted in 04 it was able to hang with the best of them, winning car and driver “car of the year”, I believe. Problem is the competition quickly surpassed making the RL instantly look dated.
We will have the same problem again, especially if they plan to refine a design language that is already 8 years old. I will wait because it may be attractive and I do not think cars in this class necessarily have to be about the latest styling. If you look at the numbers most luxury buyers prefer safe designs.
I guess this means the RL will be designed once again by Honda, with the news last year that the Legend would be killed, I was hoping for an exclusive product to Acura, designed by Acura from the start.
MasterOfDaDomain
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 15:59
Hondu wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

I know the BMW FWD is going to be the low end range, but it still is a huge shift in direction for a Tier 1 luxury brand that brands itself as a RWD sporty company. Acura isn't Tier 1, and have no plans to go there any more. If you go to BMW sites, people are talking the change as heresy (a lot like some of the talk on here about Honda).

MB already has a B class with FWD. Lexus always has ES. But these are not the brand's high end flagship models.

Since the media is already reporting Acura might come out with 2 versions of RL, this is not just releasing FWD afterwards, but at the same time. This is a perception thing - if a 50K new releases get lukewarm reception, that'll be the end of it. Again comparison to A6 isn't as relevant - Audi has A7 and A8 as high end models, but for Acura it should be a different strategy.

WingZ
Profile for WingZ
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 17:15
Jeff wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Jeff isn't the 2013 RL basically debuting all the new tech that NSX 2.0 will have?

Only FWD set up on the RL that makes sense is the version that would be this ED set up

"# Mid-sized vehicles equipped with this system are scheduled to begin production, starting with the plug-in hybrid model in 2012 and the hybrid model in 2013.

and

Combination with a high-output 120kW motor allows for superior environmental performance and driving enjoyment."

I thought this set up would be for the next TL unless it's for the Accord??
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 18:18
auto_enthu wrote:
Hondu wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

Not sure if you've noticed, that's no more the case starting 2012. A6 fronttrack is only offerred with turbo4 211 hp (starting invoice $38k).

310 HP V6 is only offered with Quattro starting 2012, with starting invoice of $46k.

That means, if you consider the price point, Audi competes in 5-series/E-class price range only with quattro and not with a FWD.

I didn't see they made that change. Though I find it convenient you mention their base invoice prices, like people can easily by an Audi at invoice price. A reasonably equipped 4-cylinder FWD A6 has a retail price of around $48,000.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 18:55
WingZ wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Mikeydred wrote:

Jeff isn't the 2013 RL basically debuting all the new tech that NSX 2.0 will have?

Only FWD set up on the RL that makes sense is the version that would be this ED set up

"# Mid-sized vehicles equipped with this system are scheduled to begin production, starting with the plug-in hybrid model in 2012 and the hybrid model in 2013.

and

Combination with a high-output 120kW motor allows for superior environmental performance and driving enjoyment."

I thought this set up would be for the next TL unless it's for the Accord??

I don't think anyone had (and if they did they clearly spend more time on worthless forums and little in TOV rumours&news section) doubts about the eSH-AWD version.

The question being risen on this thread is "what will be below it"? Is there going to be an FWD version (like on the Audi A6), a regular (non hybrid) SH-AWD version (like in the current model), or both?

Then each participant obviously has his/her own opinion on both what will Honda do and what should Honda do. Personally I'm among those believing that:
- RL access point is going to be lower (with no SH-AWD, because most of the competitors sales are 2WD)
- RL value is going seriously up, echoing Jeff's concerns with the present gen, which I just stated similarly at the begining of this thread.

The rest, well, we will see, but to me "making it sell" (what both points above aim at) is a good move, and consumers won't care if it's FWD, SH-AWD whatsoever provided they get good value for their money (and one of the serious misses of the current SH-AWD system, highlighted many times by Acura executives in recent PR stuff, is that it added significant cost/weight/complexity without delivering much on the "perceived value for customers"; bottom line, tech is not great by itself, and it's up to consumers to decide how valuable it is).

The mags will have the all mighty hybrid to play around and say fancy stuff, but as always with any car most sales will be done down the ranks.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 19:08
If the RL - ready for production verion - concept is ready in April, then I wonder if it will just be an update on the current car.
Like civic, CRV, accord coupe...
Meaning the new things coming from the new Accord will be in the TL.

I mean with the mini sales of the RL Honda may not invest too much, make a good update and is just focusing on the eSHAWD.
If this hybrid version kicks the E&5 hybrid Versions on V8 power & i4 efficiency then it should get enough attention to sell enough cars.

Its not that Honda plans to sell anyway near the total 5 series or E class numbers, so focusing on the hybrid niche is really the only option.
nightflow
Profile for nightflow
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-26-2012 20:39
If the engine is ED 3.5 V6 310+hp, it will be too much power for FWD to create a balanced vehicle. Instead, AWD or SH-AWD could be provided in addition to eSH-AWD.

Would having the old and new SH-AWD be too confusing and too close to provide as options? AWD and eSH-AWD seem more plausible.

If the engine is ED 3.0 V6 ~270 hp or some lower power engine, Acura would consider FWD as another choice. The issue is that this alternative is downmarket and closer to a TL.

Is there a 3rd option? Two motor hybrid from Accord?

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0