[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I drove the TLX V6 Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Weight distribution
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX favorable reviews
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Beware
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: DCTs on TOV?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Del Solo
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dodge unveils 204 mph Charger Hellcat
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Current gen Pilot+Vezel+Vision design elements
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2013 Accord Visor Issue
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Dealers: Fit Inventory/sales?
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: 2008 Odyssey Rear Main Seal
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > 2nd Generation Acura RL > > Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 18:43
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
New Acura RL to Bow at New York Auto Show with Sport Hybrid SH-AWD
We were treated to a few renderings of the RL at Honda Canada headquarters and while we can’t share any images with you we can say it certainly has some similarity to the current car, but with a more rear-drive design and large rear fenders – similar to styling cues shown in the new ILX. As for the size of the vehicle, Acura says it will be essentially share dimensions with the current RL, but will gain substantially on the interior. “Think of it as the interior of a 7 Series with the outside space of a 5 Series” said Korkor, stating that the RL will add roominess but not remove the soul of Acura. In addition Acura feels that the size of the RL, not to mention the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system, will help deliver mid-size agility.
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 19:01
Acura did confirm the RL’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system will not be standard.

So there will be a FWD base model once again. This should bode well for the starting MSRP and make it very feature-rich for the price. But depending on how well Acura markets it, it could be a big perception penalty.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 19:29
It says the hybrid SH-AWD will not be standard - perhaps the regular SH-AWD will be?
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 21:06
The very word 'hybrid' will likely repel bulk of the buyers in 5-series/E-class segment, no matter how sporty it is.

While the sport hybrid SHAWD can help Acura show-off its technology to the world, the success of nextgen RL will still depend on how good the standard RL is, which is where the bulk of the buyers will look.

I don't think standard RL will be FWD.
Hopefully, it comes with an improved light weight SHAWD.

If Acura makes the mistake of making standard RL with FWD and with no option for non-hybrid SHAWD, then it will once again loose the opportunity to capture 5-series/E-class market.

danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 21:47
siegen wrote:
Acura did confirm the RL’s Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system will not be standard.

So there will be a FWD base model once again. This should bode well for the starting MSRP and make it very feature-rich for the price. But depending on how well Acura markets it, it could be a big perception penalty.

Now let's remember that:
- Last time Honda tried to make an upmarket RL starting at nearly 50k (and bumping the price from the previous gen as much as ~8k if memory serves), it resulted in an absolute sales flop.
- One sedan is dropping from the Acura line-up, and the entry level one is stretching "well below 30k". That means the top end of the "mid-class" one is likely to be lowered a bit from the current TL top, leaving more room for a "cheaper RL". That would make the RL again an Honda/Acura, offering "great value" and well, selling. The NSX will do it as a "hallo car" (i.e. one that doesn't sell).

PS: Do note I am not saying the RL will be a cheaper car, I'd bet the SportHybrid-AWD will be at least as expensive as the current one, what I'm saying is that now that the TSX/TL are going down a bit, the RL will be able to start at a cheaper price-point.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 22:36
TSX69 wrote:
We were treated to a few renderings of the RL at Honda Canada headquarters and while we can’t share any images with you we can say it certainly has some similarity to the current car, but with a more rear-drive design and large rear fenders – similar to styling cues shown in the new ILX. As for the size of the vehicle, Acura says it will be essentially share dimensions with the current RL, but will gain substantially on the interior. “Think of it as the interior of a 7 Series with the outside space of a 5 Series” said Korkor, stating that the RL will add roominess but not remove the soul of Acura. In addition Acura feels that the size of the RL, not to mention the Sport Hybrid SH-AWD system, will help deliver mid-size agility.

None of this information is encouraging at all. It looks like the current RL, yikes, have they not learned anything? Don't they want it to sell? What happened to the rumors of a low slung Mercedes CLS like car. The current RL looks terrible, the original second gen RL looks much better before that horrible facelift with the beak that made it look more like a Accord.

It is not growing in size, another major reason the RL has been a flop, not much larger then the TL so no real flagship size or room. There is only so much room you can pull out of a interior from a car that is basically the same size as the current RL so a 7 series or LS sized interior is impossible from a RL sized car.

I hope they are not making a cost cut fwd version, the last thing the RL needs is for it to become even cheaper and less prestigious then it currently is. Again it will be way too close to a TL. Hopefully it will be regular SH-AWD as the base with the E SH-AWD version being a option then.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 22:43
TSX69 wrote:
It says the hybrid SH-AWD will not be standard - perhaps the regular SH-AWD will be?
Right now Honda offers:
- a FWD RL alongside the SH-AWD (introduced late to the party amid dismal sales).
- a FWD TL alongside the SH-AWD one (making most of the TL sales).

Together with what I just said in my other post, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept offering that FWD version as an entry-level model. Again, Audi sells tones of FWD models around the world without bothering anyone; If the car is good it will sell, no matter what xWD they put on it.

That said, I wonder what are Honda plans for regular SH-AWD. Will it be:
- Axed completely (with only two choices remaining: eSH-AWD or RDX AWD)?
- Left for Acura's mid-size sedan entry? / MDX?
- Marketed also on RL/NSX/MDX as a cheaper alternative to the eSH-AWD?

Right now I'd feel it's going to be a transition from 3-2-1 ... little by little. Or maybe the MDX will be the only one to ever offer both systems.
Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 23:41
danielgr wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
Right now Honda offers:
- a FWD RL alongside the SH-AWD (introduced late to the party amid dismal sales).

Right now in the U.S. the only way to get an RL is with the SH-AWD. There is NO option for FWD only.

http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=RL
Mike Freitas
Profile for Mike Freitas
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-24-2012 23:44
Right now Honda offers:

Make that Acura on this side of the pond... Honda in the ROW.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 01:57
Mike Freitas wrote:
danielgr wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
Right now Honda offers:

Right now in the U.S. the only way to get an RL is with the SH-AWD. There is NO option for FWD only.

http://www.acura.com/ModelLanding.aspx?model=RL

you are absolutely right, sorry about that.

I don't know why I had in my mind Honda having introduced an FWD version mid-life. By the way, I don't think it's just the US but a global thing. As it stands now I believe the RL/Legend is an AWD-only car. All the more interesting to see what Honda does for this upcoming version.

PS: I talk about Honda because I don't really care about branding, I'm talking about the corporation, nor the brand.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 02:02
danielgr wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
Together with what I just said in my other post, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept offering that FWD version as an entry-level model. Again, Audi sells tones of FWD models around the world without bothering anyone; If the car is good it will sell, no matter what xWD they put on it

Well, Audi sells good number of Fronttraks, but not too many in this segment (5-series/E-class/A6). A6 is the highest class of Audi that offers fronttrak, and no model above A6 offers fronttrak. Only quattro is offerred.

Anyway, my point is, Audi A6 is different because, even though it offers fronttrak, it still offers non-hybrid quattro, which is very popular (and has extremely good reviews from auto magazines).

On the other hand if Acura offers only FWD RL and hybrid RL, you can't expect all buyers considering RL to be content enough with FWD alone and moreover hybrid will anyway sell at very limited numbers. In my opinion, even the happy current-gen RL owners won't care to consider upgrading themselves to 2013 FWD RL, because you'll see most of the current-gen RL owners writing about how good the shawd works and handles. So, when FWD cannot even satisfy the current-gen RL SHAWD owners, it difficult to expect new buyers considering it.

5-Series/E-class segment is huge and one FWD and one hybrid variant alone cannot even scratch that segment.

Also, some buyers may just buy anything from Audi, just based on its image. Acura does'nt have the kind of image Audi has. So, Acura has to offer something really good and get good automotive reviews in order to draw customers from $50k+ range.

ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 04:33
lexusgs wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

None of this information is encouraging at all. It looks like the current RL, yikes, have they not learned anything? Don't they want it to sell? What happened to the rumors of a low slung Mercedes CLS like car. The current RL looks terrible, the original second gen RL looks much better before that horrible facelift with the beak that made it look more like a Accord.

It is not growing in size, another major reason the RL has been a flop, not much larger then the TL so no real flagship size or room. There is only so much room you can pull out of a interior from a car that is basically the same size as the current RL so a 7 series or LS sized interior is impossible from a RL sized car.

I hope they are not making a cost cut fwd version, the last thing the RL needs is for it to become even cheaper and less prestigious then it currently is. Again it will be way too close to a TL. Hopefully it will be regular SH-AWD as the base with the E SH-AWD version being a option then.

I read the same information but see it as a sign for cautious optimism. It doesn't at all say it "looks like the current RL", its still obviously 3 box, with the plenum, so no surprises there, per Jeff's earlier report, and the unveiling of other acura concepts---but it says it looks more "rear drive" with dimensions of current RL but substantially more interior space.....man maximum, machine minimum. The honda way. The only way to gain interior space is to lengthen wheelbase, and indications that it looks rear drive means the front wheel to A pillar distance has been lengthened. Proportions should be more like previous RLs and Legends, so it won't look like an accord variant.

They're claiming, "acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, with fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines" - that in itself is a sign for optimism and I think their approach is certainly better than doing another anachronistic luxo barge.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 05:51
Well, who honestly would expect it to look that much different from a bigger ILX?

I said on that thread how impressed I was how they'd improved the proportions over the appalling TL.

I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't a major wheelbase stretch for chinese bigwigs and american, er, bigs.

I'd have liked to have seen something more like an Aston/Jagwah (ie as 'stunning' as originally promised) but that's unlikely.

But I'm not that sort of car buyer, so perhaps conservative is best.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 06:04
Nick Graves wrote:
Well, who honestly would expect it to look that much different from a bigger ILX?

I said on that thread how impressed I was how they'd improved the proportions over the appalling TL.

I'd be a bit surprised if there isn't a major wheelbase stretch for chinese bigwigs and american, er, bigs.

I'd have liked to have seen something more like an Aston/Jagwah (ie as 'stunning' as originally promised) but that's unlikely.

I don't know Nick, I'd really like my next Legend to look something like the Jags. British car design has never been better IMHO.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 07:50
Wild thought but does this seem plausible?

The ~180hp FWD ILX replaces the 201/280hp FWD TSX. This leaves room for the new smaller FWD TL to go down to ~230hp. Thus making room for a FWD RL to be ~280hp (the limit Honda/Acura seems to give FWD).

This would be great for overall MPG but not going to help the luxury image for its intended class.

On a side note, do I have this right?
2013: New ILX, RDX & RL (MDX?); ZDX refresh
2014: New TL (NSX?)
That is a lot going on in the next 2 model years.
iutodd
Profile for iutodd
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 08:54
Sport Hybrid Super Handling All Wheel Drive.

TERRIBLE, ridiculously wordy name.

SH-SH-AWD. Stupid. Are they really going to put that on the back of an Acura?

I thought they were calling it Electric SH-AWD. Which is way better. eSH-AWD would look OK on the back of an Acura.

For the record - A 5-series has a 116 inch wheelbase and is 193 inches long. The Current RL has a 110 inch wheelbase and is 195 inches long. The Current 7-series (SW) has a 120 inch wheelbase and is 199 inches long. The current RL has 99.1 cubic feet of interior volume - the 5 series has 100 and the 7 series has 106. The 5 and 7 series also are anywhere from 1-3 inches wider in track and overall width. The 7 series is an inch taller and the 5 series .4 inches taller. So the RL needs to gain 7 cubic feet of interior space while keeping the overall length similar. Hopefully they add a few inches of wheelbase, make it a touch wider and taller while maybe even shortening it a bit overall - I think they can do it.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 09:35
auto_enthu wrote:
danielgr wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
Together with what I just said in my other post, I wouldn't be surprised if they kept offering that FWD version as an entry-level model. Again, Audi sells tones of FWD models around the world without bothering anyone; If the car is good it will sell, no matter what xWD they put on it

Well, Audi sells good number of Fronttraks, but not too many in this segment (5-series/E-class/A6). A6 is the highest class of Audi that offers fronttrak, and no model above A6 offers fronttrak. Only quattro is offerred.

Anyway, my point is, Audi A6 is different because, even though it offers fronttrak, it still offers non-hybrid quattro, which is very popular (and has extremely good reviews from auto magazines).

On the other hand if Acura offers only FWD RL and hybrid RL, you can't expect all buyers considering RL to be content enough with FWD alone and moreover hybrid will anyway sell at very limited numbers. In my opinion, even the happy current-gen RL owners won't care to consider upgrading themselves to 2013 FWD RL, because you'll see most of the current-gen RL owners writing about how good the shawd works and handles. So, when FWD cannot even satisfy the current-gen RL SHAWD owners, it difficult to expect new buyers considering it.

5-Series/E-class segment is huge and one FWD and one hybrid variant alone cannot even scratch that segment.

Also, some buyers may just buy anything from Audi, just based on its image. Acura does'nt have the kind of image Audi has. So, Acura has to offer something really good and get good automotive reviews in order to draw customers from $50k+ range.
Well:
- A6, exactly, that is where the RL sits, and why my quote makes sense (doesn't mean that's what Honda has in mind). A6 is offered in both FWD and AWD trims, and there is no reason why Honda couldn't make a similar bet with the RL/Legend.
- Whether or not there is both SH-AWD and eSH-AWD remains an open question. At this point I don't think they are exclusive, could be both.
- I don't think your dismissal of the eSH-AWD is accurate. It could sell very well if the value proposition is the right one. If it's going to be something crazily priced à la German hybrid style then Honda better have a regular SH-AWD alternative.
- I really don't think Honda had current RL owners that much in mind when redesigning it, simply because there are hardly none of them.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 09:59
TSX69 wrote:

The ~180hp FWD ILX replaces the 201/280hp FWD TSX. This leaves room for the new smaller FWD TL to go down to ~230hp. Thus making room for a FWD RL to be ~280hp (the limit Honda/Acura seems to give FWD).

This would be great for overall MPG but not going to help the luxury image for its intended class.

On a side note, do I have this right?
2013: New ILX, RDX & RL (MDX?); ZDX refresh
2014: New TL (NSX?)
That is a lot going on in the next 2 model years.

The way I guess it:
- Base RL will use same engine as Top mid-class sedan, meaning ED V6 with 300+Hp (be it FWD or AWD doesn't matter).
- Base midclass sedan will have something bellow that 300Hp V6, why not an i4.
- ZDX is dead.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 10:08
sadlerau wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

I don't know Nick, I'd really like my next Legend to look something like the Jags. British car design has never been better IMHO.

There are some quite stunning (and good) cars from over here at present; I can hardly believe it myself, after the shit we used to make!

I'd personally thought that a Legend with some real style would break the 'Japanese blandbox' image that slighted the previous iterations. Although I quite liked them, myself!

But I still think they're floundering to find an Acura style that really works across the range. So perhaps they need to do an Audi 'photocopier on 110% job' on a car that works, for a generation.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 10:21
Next Acura RL Will Not Have Electric SH-AWD as Standard

The look of the next RL can best be described as a current TL mated with a Hyundai Genesis. The overall design is still distinctly Acura, though the rear of the car has a very strong Hoffmeister kink and an overall profile similar to the Genesis or Equus, including a very short rear deck. The taillights echo the Buick Lacrosse – while it sounds unappealing on paper, the design as a whole is not unattractive, just extremely conservative.

Unless Acura has some new super-secret RWD architecture that nobody knows about, the new flagship will have to have an FWD variant. Acura officials wouldn’t comment on the matter, so we’ll have to wait until April’s New York Auto Show for the definitive answer.
ciwai08
Profile for ciwai08
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 10:40
iutodd wrote:

I thought they were calling it Electric SH-AWD. Which is way better. eSH-AWD would look OK on the back of an Acura.

For the record - A 5-series has a 116 inch wheelbase and is 193 inches long. The Current RL has a 110 inch wheelbase and is 195 inches long. The Current 7-series (SW) has a 120 inch wheelbase and is 199 inches long. The current RL has 99.1 cubic feet of interior volume - the 5 series has 100 and the 7 series has 106. The 5 and 7 series also are anywhere from 1-3 inches wider in track and overall width. The 7 series is an inch taller and the 5 series .4 inches taller. So the RL needs to gain 7 cubic feet of interior space while keeping the overall length similar. Hopefully they add a few inches of wheelbase, make it a touch wider and taller while maybe even shortening it a bit overall - I think they can do it.

They should just call it Sport Hybrid AWD. Super handling never quite worked as a marketing term.

Thanks for the dimension information. I think not having the drive shaft tunnel intrusion will make it a lot simpler to better the others in packaging.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 10:45
danielgr wrote:
I really don't think Honda had current RL owners that much in mind when redesigning it, simply because there are hardly none of them.

That was one of the problems with the current car. I remember the salesman who sold me my Legend telling me a couple of years later that the new model mostly sold to existing Legend owners - and many owners were trading out of them in short order because they were NOT like their old Legend. If Honda are going to perservere with the current direction [and keeping SH-AWD indicates they are, then they will need quite a few years to engender any loyalty among their existing customers.........
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 11:06
I think the idea of not having SH-AWD as standard is a good thing. It broadens the cars appeal to different buyers, who can actually pick and choose what they want. But they really will need to have more than one engine choice to make the choices truly effective. Haven't we been screaming [well some of us have] for this very idea of choices for years???
DevilMayCry
Profile for DevilMayCry
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 12:00
ciwai08 wrote:

I read the same information but see it as a sign for cautious optimism. It doesn't at all say it "looks like the current RL", its still obviously 3 box, with the plenum, so no surprises there, per Jeff's earlier report, and the unveiling of other acura concepts---but it says it looks more "rear drive" with dimensions of current RL but substantially more interior space.....man maximum, machine minimum. The honda way. The only way to gain interior space is to lengthen wheelbase, and indications that it looks rear drive means the front wheel to A pillar distance has been lengthened. Proportions should be more like previous RLs and Legends, so it won't look like an accord variant.

They're claiming, "acceleration equivalent to V8 engines, with fuel efficiency equal or superior to in-line 4-cylinder engines" - that in itself is a sign for optimism and I think their approach is certainly better than doing another anachronistic luxo barge.

If that's the case(where the length from front wheel to A-pillar is lengthened), one would assume the the engine would be mounted longitudinally(like the 2nd gen Legend and 1st gen RL).

So, with that RWD proportion they talk about, and that eSH-AWD won't be standard, are we to assume that(if the engine is mounted longitudinally) there'll be a RWD model? 'Cause simply put, a FWD model ain't gonna cut it!

Wishfull thinking, I know. And keeping in mind that the rear wheels on the eSH-AWD model's will be driven by electric motors, it don't seem plausible.

I could sense the disappoinment already, lol!
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 12:51
TSX69 wrote:
Next Acura RL Will Not Have Electric SH-AWD as Standard

The look of the next RL can best be described as a current TL mated with a Hyundai Genesis. The overall design is still distinctly Acura, though the rear of the car has a very strong Hoffmeister kink and an overall profile similar to the Genesis or Equus, including a very short rear deck. The taillights echo the Buick Lacrosse – while it sounds unappealing on paper, the design as a whole is not unattractive, just extremely conservative.

Unless Acura has some new super-secret RWD architecture that nobody knows about, the new flagship will have to have an FWD variant. Acura officials wouldn’t comment on the matter, so we’ll have to wait until April’s New York Auto Show for the definitive answer.

This sounds terrible, it points to another failure. So now not only is it going to look similar to the current TL/RL nor is it going to get much larger it is going to also look like a Buick and a Hyundai Genesis/Equus. 3 cars that have been criticized for having boring bland safe generic styling that more or less copies cues from other makes. I would rather Acura just copy the Genesis/Equus rwd 400hp V8, and 8 speed autos then their bland styling. So why would someone choose a fwd based fwd or awd car that looks like a Hyundai when they can get a rwd V8 Hyundai for around the same price.

I hope this is wrong because it will be a epic blunder if it is true. A similarly sized even less prestigious(fwd base) RL that looks like a Hyundai model which is bigger, roomier, rwd, and has a nice powerful V8, and is similarly priced. What are they thinking styling it like a Hyundai or Buick. Is "smart luxury" trying to just copy the styling of lesser brands over trying to compete with more prestigious brands like they normally did.

I will wait till I see it but this is not encouraging at all.
JeffreynLA
Profile for JeffreynLA
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 12:57
TSX69 wrote:

I was thinking along the same line that the TL is going smaller and they will offer a lower HP/lower priced model to take up the space currently held by the TSX.

Then the FWD RL can be aimed at the ES350 customer with the AWD model aimed towards the E/5 customers.
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 13:12
sadlerau wrote:
I think the idea of not having SH-AWD as standard is a good thing. It broadens the cars appeal to different buyers, who can actually pick and choose what they want. But they really will need to have more than one engine choice to make the choices truly effective. Haven't we been screaming [well some of us have] for this very idea of choices for years???

Making SH-AWD not standard is only a good thing when the base car or 2wd version is rwd. If it is just fwd Accord based it is going to suffer again from being too close to a TL and will be even less competitive and more down market. The problems with the RL is not that it is too upmarket, it is that it does not convince enough people to spend that much on a car now.

A fwd RL means hp will probably go down to around 280hp to avoid torque steer and buyers will end up getting less car for the same or maybe slightly less money. The RL should be a powerhouse car to ignite sales and interest, not something even more downmarket and cheapened to hopefully appeal to maybe someone looking for a value where a buyer has to pay a lot of money to get the RL they really want-400hp awd. A fwd RL is going to hurt Acura's image more and they will still have the problem of the RL and TL being too close together unless the TL goes even more downmarket and has even less power which is going to create more problems.

Is Acura's new "smart luxury" strategy going to be decontenting and killing power in their cars for small fuel economy gains and then charging much more for the cars configured the way the buyers wanted the standard car? Not a good strategy and it will most likely bite them at the end. The engines for the ILX simply don't make enough power or will perform well enough to be competitive especially since the only engine at or over 200hp will only be a manual.

BMW may be putting a 4 cylinder in place of the base inline 6 but that 4 cylinder makes more power and gives much better performance while gaining fuel economy. With Acura you are getting less power and less performance from smaller engines.

Buyers are not too concerned with fuel economy when they step up to more expensive/prestigious brands especially when it affects performance.

Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 13:22
JeffreynLA wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I was thinking along the same line that the TL is going smaller and they will offer a lower HP/lower priced model to take up the space currently held by the TSX.

Then the FWD RL can be aimed at the ES350 customer with the AWD model aimed towards the E/5 customers.

My guess would be the ILX 2.4L model will receive and AT/CVT version as soon as the TSX is dropped in 2014 and ED engines are installed. I could see the TL getting a lower HP V6, and would be surprised if an I4 was added.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 13:36
iutodd wrote:

If you look at the NSX concept it will probably be called SH-AWD with the SH in blue to denote hybrid. That way they keep the name that is familiar with the industry.
Mikeydred
Profile for Mikeydred
Re: 2013 Acura RL Previewed    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-25-2012 13:51

Well I can see how they would say it looks like a Hyundai Equus, especially if the rear fenders have the deep draw like the ILX. Time will tell, anything is worth a shot and let’s not forget the Legend was the #1 selling luxury car for most of the 90’s and was FWD. Maybe Acura is trying to rekindle some of that magic, with computer tuning and electronic assistance a FWD can be capable and acceptable for the intended audience. One of Cadillac’s most popular models for a while was the DTS/Deville (updates killed this car) and we already mentioned Audi.

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy