[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Adding backup camera to 09 TSX
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author
  Post New Thread
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 14:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
With a volume seller like the Accord there's little risk of inventory stagnation or excessive turn over time if each dealer had between 1-4 manuals in stock at all times. There are two types of buyers, the one who will actively seek out a manual and the one who is kind of ambivalent but after seeing one on the lot or talking to the salesman might be intrigued to drive one. Both types of buyers do exist so it would be foolish for Honda not to scatter them out there no matter what.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 16:05
gofast182 wrote:
Both types of buyers do exist so it would be foolish for Honda not to scatter them out there no matter what.

I'm afraid Honda has been quite foolish about this for quite some time now.
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 17:51
superchg2 wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
Both types of buyers do exist so it would be foolish for Honda not to scatter them out there no matter what.

Oh yes I know all too well. I had an '05 Accord EX 5MT (great car) which was a dealer trade, an '07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT (fantastic car) which had been sitting in inventory for 6 months, and a '10 Accord Coupe EX 5MT (interior was a POS) which was a dealer trade. With my current '12 TSX there was a manual SE available but my wife weaseled her way into that decision...
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 17:58
gofast182 wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

Oh yes I know all too well. I had an '05 Accord EX 5MT (great car) which was a dealer trade, an '07 Accord EX-L V6 6MT (fantastic car) which had been sitting in inventory for 6 months, and a '10 Accord Coupe EX 5MT (interior was a POS) which was a dealer trade. With my current '12 TSX there was a manual SE available but my wife weaseled her way into that decision...

...the other point I wanted to make is since they went through the trouble of engineering a new 6MT and are offering it in a Sport trim it seems they want to renew emphasis on the manual (even if only for a small percentage of units sold) which they will not succeed at unless they put more of them out there.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 20:24
gofast182 wrote:
gofast182 wrote:
superchg2 wrote:
gofast182 wrote:

...the other point I wanted to make is since they went through the trouble of engineering a new 6MT and are offering it in a Sport trim it seems they want to renew emphasis on the manual (even if only for a small percentage of units sold) which they will not succeed at unless they put more of them out there.

My concern is that you can only order the Sport 6MT in a Dark Gray or Black, neither of which do I have any interest in.

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-26-2012 21:27
I was waiting to drive one too. There are none available in Canada either. I believe they have not been mass produced yet. Busy supplying dealers in US and Canada with the popular 4cyl and 6 cyl auto's first. My sales manager said I could get a Sport in CVT. I said I will wait. I put a 2013 Accord Sedan Sport 6spd M/T in Pearl White on back order for my self. I expect a 2-3 month wait.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 01:29
dutchboy wrote:
I was waiting to drive one too. There are none available in Canada either. I believe they have not been mass produced yet. Busy supplying dealers in US and Canada with the popular 4cyl and 6 cyl auto's first. My sales manager said I could get a Sport in CVT. I said I will wait. I put a 2013 Accord Sedan Sport 6spd M/T in Pearl White on back order for my self. I expect a 2-3 month wait.

Great choice!! Congrats. It'll be worth the wait....We hope to get some pix and driving impressions when it finally arrives.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 15:28
benbess wrote:
dutchboy wrote:

If you order the 6mt sport you can get it in other color's beside the black and grey? I didn't know that.

Great choice!! Congrats. It'll be worth the wait....We hope to get some pix and driving impressions when it finally arrives.

dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 19:52

If you order the 6mt sport you can get it in other color's beside the black and grey? I didn't know that.

In the US you can only get Sport M/T in gray and black. Here in Canada Sport M/T comes in pearl white, black, gray and blue.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 20:24
dutchboy wrote:

In the US you can only get Sport M/T in gray and black. Here in Canada Sport M/T comes in pearl white, black, gray and blue.

That does seem odd and annoying. But at least Honda still offers a world class manual in the US.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 21:22
Is the blue the same as we have in the US? That's the color that I am most interested in. The Canadian cars are also built in Ohio, true?
dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-27-2012 21:59
Jet Sitter wrote:
Is the blue the same as we have in the US? That's the color that I am most interested in. The Canadian cars are also built in Ohio, true?

Yes, that color is Obsidian Blue Pearl. All Accord's are built in Ohio for US and Canadian markets.
Gfn8r
Profile for Gfn8r
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2012 18:16
Jeff wrote:
Jet Sitter wrote:
I checked with the two Honda dealers around me. Combined they have 68 cars, 59 of them are CVT's, the other's are 6 cylinder automatics. I stopped by both dealerships and one told me that nobody wants a MT and the other said that I'd have to wait at least 2 month's if I wanted to order a 6mt. Who is going to order a car without knowing how it shifs, handles, or feels?

As was mentioned somewhere, you are limited to two colors if you want a 6mt. Obviously, Honda doesn't want to sell any.

it sounds familiar. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy that's been going on for years at Honda dealers. I understand nobody wants to take a risk on a car that "nobody wants" but there are indeed people who want MT Hondas but there is NEVER any product available to satisfy them. Honda needs to figure something out so people can get the car they want within a reasonable time frame.

Almost seems like Tourings in Northwest Ohio--NONE yet! The main reason I want to get one by the end of October is to get the 3M paint film and a decent coat of Zaino on the car before the first snow hits! And around here, ya just never know!!

If I wait until spring, that's just more $$$ that I have to make up from my own savings versus sale/trade proceeds from the current car! (And it becomes much harder, if not impossible, to get the shine as good as I want it after even one hard winter--LIKE NEW!!! My 2006 CBP gets nothing but compliments!! Zaino is da bomb!! ;-)

I stated someplace else in here that the Touring is just a SCREAMING deal!! Two cool little niceties that the bread-and-butter Acuras don't have yet, for ~$1,500 over the V6 NAVI!! I think they could sell those by the BUCKETFUL! Honda predicts 1% take rate?! Mendel, pull your head out of your a$$!!!

Andrew, you guys don't even have a V6 on your lot!!! W!! T!! F!! is up with Honda and Northern Ohio?!
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2012 19:02
Gfn8r wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Jet Sitter wrote:
I checked with the two Honda dealers around me. Combined they have 68 cars, 59 of them are CVT's, the other's are 6 cylinder automatics. I stopped by both dealerships and one told me that nobody wants a MT and the other said that I'd have to wait at least 2 month's if I wanted to order a 6mt. Who is going to order a car without knowing how it shifs, handles, or feels?

As was mentioned somewhere, you are limited to two colors if you want a 6mt. Obviously, Honda doesn't want to sell any.

it sounds familiar. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy that's been going on for years at Honda dealers. I understand nobody wants to take a risk on a car that "nobody wants" but there are indeed people who want MT Hondas but there is NEVER any product available to satisfy them. Honda needs to figure something out so people can get the car they want within a reasonable time frame.

Almost seems like Tourings in Northwest Ohio--NONE yet! The main reason I want to get one by the end of October is to get the 3M paint film and a decent coat of Zaino on the car before the first snow hits! And around here, ya just never know!!

If I wait until spring, that's just more $$$ that I have to make up from my own savings versus sale/trade proceeds from the current car! (And it becomes much harder, if not impossible, to get the shine as good as I want it after even one hard winter--LIKE NEW!!! My 2006 CBP gets nothing but compliments!! Zaino is da bomb!! ;-)

I stated someplace else in here that the Touring is just a SCREAMING deal!! Two cool little niceties that the bread-and-butter Acuras don't have yet, for ~$1,500 over the V6 NAVI!! I think they could sell those by the BUCKETFUL! Honda predicts 1% take rate?! Mendel, pull your head out of your a$$!!!

Andrew, you guys don't even have a V6 on your lot!!! W!! T!! F!! is up with Honda and Northern Ohio?!

You're right—the Touring is a screaming good deal. But some people would say, and even did say at Edmunds.com, something like, "Hey, you could get a base Acura TL for about 31k." But if you actually look at a TL with navi, it's closer to 40—and of course that's the old gen TL that's on its way out.

As you know, the new Accord only came out about 10 days ago, and so they are still ramping up production. By the end of Oct. you should have your dream car...+++

rancho1
Profile for rancho1
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-28-2012 22:07
It makes sense to only have two color choices for low volume, low demand models like manual transmission family cars.
It saves dealers who are trying to set up a dealer trade a lot of hassle and extra delay trying to find a specific color at another dealership for a customer when there are 6 different colors of the cars produced and spread around different dealer lots with some colors being popular and hard to get others hard to get rid of.
hahaatsimon
Profile for hahaatsimon
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2012 13:46
I've went to 3 different dealerships on the east side of Seattle this past week (Kirkland, Bellevue, Renton). All three dealerships had the same, a silver LX, black Sport, and a white EX-L. I asked them when will the 6MT will come in, all three said 1-2 months... That's the only source I can give you guys.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-29-2012 15:45
Yep no sign of any manuals on the system in canada - we just have Turing models so far, all autos. Its a great vehicle - most impressive Honda in a long while - just too busy to write anything. I have had a couple of drives....
dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 20:20
My 2013 Accord Sport 6spd M/T was built on Nov 17th.
Incoming to my dealer Nov 29-Dec 5. Not bad. I placed the order on Oct 15.
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-20-2012 01:35
dutchboy wrote:
My 2013 Accord Sport 6spd M/T was built on Nov 17th.
Incoming to my dealer Nov 29-Dec 5. Not bad. I placed the order on Oct 15.

Nice! I ordered mine Oct 12 and it should be delivered at the end of November or first week of December. They haven't given me a build date, though I haven't talked to them in a couple weeks. I think I'll call them tomorrow.

Should be a bunch of picture/review posts of the 6MT come December. :)
A77
Profile for A77
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 16:35
We have one incoming manual - a sport sedan - it too was built on 17 Nov, eta 5 dec.
dutchboy
Profile for dutchboy
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 19:33
I drove a 6spd Accord LX for a bit yesterday. It was the first one to arrive. The clutch was the best I have felt yet in any Honda (and I have been working at a dealer since 1987). The shift throws could be a little closer but overall good for Accord. The throttle response was good much better than my 08 Accord Coupe EX. Off the line it feels faster than my 08 I could feel the extra 20 ft/lbs of torque. To me it's almost as fast as a Civic Si. I could even hear a bit of v-tec change over. When I get my Sport M/T in a couple weeks I will install my custom K&N intake. Then I will hear it better. Later I will graft on a couple magnaflow mufflers.
JP
Profile for JP
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-21-2012 20:17
dutchboy wrote:
I drove a 6spd Accord LX for a bit yesterday. It was the first one to arrive. The clutch was the best I have felt yet in any Honda (and I have been working at a dealer since 1987). The shift throws could be a little closer but overall good for Accord. The throttle response was good much better than my 08 Accord Coupe EX. Off the line it feels faster than my 08 I could feel the extra 20 ft/lbs of torque. To me it's almost as fast as a Civic Si. I could even hear a bit of v-tec change over. When I get my Sport M/T in a couple weeks I will install my custom K&N intake. Then I will hear it better. Later I will graft on a couple magnaflow mufflers.

Upload a video of the before-after of the intake sound....
Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2012 05:34
I got a call from my salesmen at Breakaway Honda in Greenville, SC yesterday informing me that they'd just received a 2013 Accord Sport 6MT, of course he called me two hours before I had to be to work so I couldn't go drive it today. I plan on going in Friday or Saturday morning to drive it. I've already driven about four different Accords...Sport, two EX-Ls and an LX, all with CVTs, I'm going to post a big review (and a comparison test) after I drive and review the Sport 6MT. I've driven the Fusion SE 1.6t and 2.0t and the Altima 2.5SL and 3.5SV for comparative purposes.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-22-2012 05:44
Thanks Rgist85.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 19:30
dutchboy wrote:

I managed to sneak in a "Black Friday" test drive of a 6MT Sport. Unlike the rest of my family, I did not partake in the midnight rush following Thanksgiving, so I was able to do whatever I wanted Friday morning while everyone was sleeping in (I didn't have to go to work either).

The clutch pedal is quite smooth and easy to operate. Same with the throttle. Coming from my 7G Accord, the 9G felt similar... just better. At the low end of the RPM range, the engine didn't feel much more powerful than the old K24, but it wakes up in the midrange and puts some serious hurt on its port-injected predecessor.

I didn't like the shifter at first. It is smaller than the shifter in my Accord SE and has a cylindrical shape, which didn't seem to fit my hand as well as the 5MT shifter. However, as I drove the Accord Sport, I quickly got used to the 6MT and I think it is actually much better than the 5MT of 2 generations ago. Throws are shorter and have a "rifle bolt" precision feel to them, unlike the 5MT, which feels very disconnected from the gear changes. I occasionally mis-shift my 5MT and grind the gears, but the 6MT shifts so well and predictably in comparison that I think mis-shifts would be an extremely rare occurrence.

Handling is solid. The car feels very secure when cornering, and I if I didn't know about the McStruts, I don't think I would have known they were there in place of Double Wishbones. Steering is very responsive. It's not wicked fast like an FA5 Civic Si, but quick enough that the car can turn on little notice, unlike the '12 Civic.

I think the majority of drivers would connect well with the 9G Accord. This isn't a sports car, and nobody should expect it to behave like one, but it is fun to drive on the street at reasonable speeds.

My quibbles with the car are fairly minor and have more to do with the options packaging than anything else. The Sport trim comes with only a 4-speaker stereo, which is weak. To get a better stereo, one has to move up to the EX, but that causes a loss of the 18" wheels, dual exhaust, and more powerful engine. The 17" wheels on the EX aren't bad, but one look at the 18" wheels and there's really no question of which set of rims has a more upscale look. I wish Honda had made a Sport version of the EX trim available. Right now, buyers may be gnashing their teeth over the tradoffs between Sport and EX.

Some words on the interior. I was afraid that the black interior would be depressing, but thankfully it wasn't. The materials and controls have a comforting and even friendly familiarity. The center stack storage has some good and bad news. On the good side, the power and usb ports are conveniently located in an open cubby, which is perfect for connecting and storing a smartphone or iPod. On the bad side, the hinged door to the compartment on top of that open cubby swings upwards and it didn't seem easy for the driver to reach in and take items out. The hinge for this compartment isn't spring loaded either and it feels rather cheap. The center console compartment is a bit oddly shaped. It is wide but short. More cubelike than rectangle. This probably won't make much difference. The cupholders still have spring-loaded sizing things, but there's no sliding cover. Overall, I'm not ecstatic with the level of storage options, but it's good enough for me. Seat fabric is not very soft or fuzzy. I have a hard time describing it, but it felt rough/grippy to me. The LX and EX fabric might be better from a comfort perspective, but I will say that the Sport fabric held me in place very well.

I'd say Honda did a very good job on this Accord. Everything about the car says "high quality" and "good design". I would be very happy to have a 9G Accord in my garage.

Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 20:25
atomiclightbulb wrote:
dutchboy wrote:

I managed to sneak in a "Black Friday" test drive of a 6MT Sport. Unlike the rest of my family, I did not partake in the midnight rush following Thanksgiving, so I was able to do whatever I wanted Friday morning while everyone was sleeping in (I didn't have to go to work either).

The clutch pedal is quite smooth and easy to operate. Same with the throttle. Coming from my 7G Accord, the 9G felt similar... just better. At the low end of the RPM range, the engine didn't feel much more powerful than the old K24, but it wakes up in the midrange and puts some serious hurt on its port-injected predecessor.

I didn't like the shifter at first. It is smaller than the shifter in my Accord SE and has a cylindrical shape, which didn't seem to fit my hand as well as the 5MT shifter. However, as I drove the Accord Sport, I quickly got used to the 6MT and I think it is actually much better than the 5MT of 2 generations ago. Throws are shorter and have a "rifle bolt" precision feel to them, unlike the 5MT, which feels very disconnected from the gear changes. I occasionally mis-shift my 5MT and grind the gears, but the 6MT shifts so well and predictably in comparison that I think mis-shifts would be an extremely rare occurrence.

Handling is solid. The car feels very secure when cornering, and I if I didn't know about the McStruts, I don't think I would have known they were there in place of Double Wishbones. Steering is very responsive. It's not wicked fast like an FA5 Civic Si, but quick enough that the car can turn on little notice, unlike the '12 Civic.

I think the majority of drivers would connect well with the 9G Accord. This isn't a sports car, and nobody should expect it to behave like one, but it is fun to drive on the street at reasonable speeds.

My quibbles with the car are fairly minor and have more to do with the options packaging than anything else. The Sport trim comes with only a 4-speaker stereo, which is weak. To get a better stereo, one has to move up to the EX, but that causes a loss of the 18" wheels, dual exhaust, and more powerful engine. The 17" wheels on the EX aren't bad, but one look at the 18" wheels and there's really no question of which set of rims has a more upscale look. I wish Honda had made a Sport version of the EX trim available. Right now, buyers may be gnashing their teeth over the tradoffs between Sport and EX.
Some words on the interior. I was afraid that the black interior would be depressing, but thankfully it wasn't. The materials and controls have a comforting and even friendly familiarity. The center stack storage has some good and bad news. On the good side, the power and usb ports are conveniently located in an open cubby, which is perfect for connecting and storing a smartphone or iPod. On the bad side, the hinged door to the compartment on top of that open cubby swings upwards and it didn't seem easy for the driver to reach in and take items out. The hinge for this compartment isn't spring loaded either and it feels rather cheap. The center console compartment is a bit oddly shaped. It is wide but short. More cubelike than rectangle. This probably won't make much difference. The cupholders still have spring-loaded sizing things, but there's no sliding cover. Overall, I'm not ecstatic with the level of storage options, but it's good enough for me. Seat fabric is not very soft or fuzzy. I have a hard time describing it, but it felt rough/grippy to me. The LX and EX fabric might be better from a comfort perspective, but I will say that the Sport fabric held me in place very well.

I'd say Honda did a very good job on this Accord. Everything about the car says "high quality" and "good design". I would be very happy to have a 9G Accord in my garage.

Tell me about it! I drove one today too, Modern Steel Sport 6MT! A Hoot to drive and a really good replacement for my 7th gen Sedan EX-L 5spd manual. After taking the Sport out for a spin thru the city of Greenville and onto I-85 for a short run I was ready to buy the damn car! But Honda kills it for me with the way the Sport is optioned out. Its ridiculous. I'm going to another dealership, Dick Brooks Honda, in Greer, SC to drive an LX 6mt on monday before I head back to work again.

I've been to five different dealerships, talked to five different salesmen and every last one of them tells me that they can't keep Sport models on the lot...and every last one of those same salesmen tell me that the EX (and LX) right now are the worst selling models. EX-L is a big seller right now too.

Honda needs to expand the Sport trim STAT.

Give me an EX Sport (I can get over not having a I4 Touring now) all I need is the premium audio, push button start, moonroof and maybe XM...and I'd be set. My full review is coming Monday if I can manage the time between my jobs and school work.

atomiclightbulb
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 21:56
What kind of tires did you see on the LX?

Looking at the tires on Accords on the dealer lot, I noticed that every LX was equipped with Continental ContiProContact and that EX and Sport used the newer Michelin Primacy MXM4. The reports of others here at vtec.net indicated use of Firestone Affinity on some LX and Goodyear Assurance on EX. I have a theory about this.

My guess is that Honda may be using ContiProContact and Primacy MXM4 for LX and EX Accords being shipped to states where there is harsher winter weather. Looking at the Tirerack ratings, the ContiProContact has better wet/snow performance than the Firestone, and the same is true for the Primacy MXM4 versus the Assurance. Browsing through dealer videos on YouTube, I thought I noticed the Firestone tires on cars at dealers in the Southern United States, where winter weather is less severe. Where I am, wet/snow performance is an issue, so it makes sense that all the Accords here have the ContiProContact and Primacy tires. Still, it seems unfair to give some customers tires that are somewhat worse, given that MSRP is the same nationwide.
Rgist85
Profile for Rgist85
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-24-2012 22:52
atomiclightbulb wrote:
What kind of tires did you see on the LX?

Looking at the tires on Accords on the dealer lot, I noticed that every LX was equipped with Continental ContiProContact and that EX and Sport used the newer Michelin Primacy MXM4. The reports of others here at vtec.net indicated use of Firestone Affinity on some LX and Goodyear Assurance on EX. I have a theory about this.

My guess is that Honda may be using ContiProContact and Primacy MXM4 for LX and EX Accords being shipped to states where there is harsher winter weather. Looking at the Tirerack ratings, the ContiProContact has better wet/snow performance than the Firestone, and the same is true for the Primacy MXM4 versus the Assurance. Browsing through dealer videos on YouTube, I thought I noticed the Firestone tires on cars at dealers in the Southern United States, where winter weather is less severe. Where I am, wet/snow performance is an issue, so it makes sense that all the Accords here have the ContiProContact and Primacy tires. Still, it seems unfair to give some customers tires that are somewhat worse, given that MSRP is the same nationwide.

They looked like Continentals to me...honestly I don't pay the LX trims much attention, the only reason I'm driving the LX on Monday is to sort of get a feel for what the LX/EX engine will be like with the 6MT, the Sport just sounds great wth that 6mt! I'm sure the LX/EX won't feel as nice.
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 01:56
Just took my black 6MT Sport home tonight. :) The shift feels good with very short throws. Have to get used to it compared to my Audi. Didn't push it much yet. Only had 7 miles on it. :)
atomiclightbulb
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 09:38
Another thing that occurred to me is that tire replacement on the 18" rims is going to be very very expensive.

I went to tirerack.com and the Honda OEM spec Primacy MXM4 tires are $293.00 each, or $1,172.00 for the full set. Non-OEM spec of the same size are still $280.00 each, or $1,120.00 for the full set. The difference between the OEM and non-OEM seems to be a "different tread" according to tirerack. Factor in installation, alignment costs, and sales tax, and replacing tires on the 18" Sport rims could reach near $1500. I'm not sure that is something customers are thinking about.

In contrast, the 17" OEM Primacy MXV4 run $200 per tire, or $150-$160 per tire for non-OEM spec Primacy MXV4. The 16" Continental tires OEM spec are a mere $113 apiece.

Rgist85 wrote:
They looked like Continentals to me...honestly I don't pay the LX trims much attention, the only reason I'm driving the LX on Monday is to sort of get a feel for what the LX/EX engine will be like with the 6MT, the Sport just sounds great wth that 6mt! I'm sure the LX/EX won't feel as nice.

The LX has the narrowest tires (205/65 R16 95H), so I suspect that it won't feel as planted as the Sport (235/45 R18 94V). The LX also lacks the Shock Tower Bar found on the Sport and higher trims.

I don't expect that the LX would feel drastically different than the Sport in a straight line. While the LX is down 4 HP, it's also 75 lbs lighter. The heavier wheel/tire combo on the Sport is probably going to negate the modestly higher engine power.

Thread Page - 1 [2] 3 4 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0