[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 NSX Spied at the Ring, Part II
More.......................
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
Honda submits design for a new sedan to EU office of design and trademarks
General Talk --> Re: Honda Europe 2015 Engine Lineup
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic HF review
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: SE trim for 2015 Civic
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2015 Lexus NX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Video Footage of NSX 7/22/2014
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Expansion on the beautiful Honda AC-X
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> How to get started??
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Went to the dealership as well
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: www.tlxthrill.com might not be real/accurate
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: "Bronzing" plastic chrome?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: How much to ask for CPO '13 Accord
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX at Honda Indy Toronto
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Author
  Post New Thread
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 15:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I checked with the two Honda dealers around me. Combined they have 68 cars, 59 of them are CVT's, the other's are 6 cylinder automatics. I stopped by both dealerships and one told me that nobody wants a MT and the other said that I'd have to wait at least 2 month's if I wanted to order a 6mt. Who is going to order a car without knowing how it shifs, handles, or feels?

As was mentioned somewhere, you are limited to two colors if you want a 6mt. Obviously, Honda doesn't want to sell any.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 16:35
They're saving the expanded color pallette for the Accord Wagon 6MT coming in the MMC ;)

I joke, but I'm just as frustrated at the lack of color choices specifically White w/Black interior. It seems like a fairly normal choice and I've heard three of us ask for that combo on TOV (Neal, you and me).

Can't get in a TSX Wagon either which is really frustrating! Almost as frustrating as the lack of an MT in the TSX wagon (which is the only reason why one isn't parked in my driveway right now).

Jet Sitter wrote:
I checked with the two Honda dealers around me. Combined they have 68 cars, 59 of them are CVT's, the other's are 6 cylinder automatics. I stopped by both dealerships and one told me that nobody wants a MT and the other said that I'd have to wait at least 2 month's if I wanted to order a 6mt. Who is going to order a car without knowing how it shifs, handles, or feels?

As was mentioned somewhere, you are limited to two colors if you want a 6mt. Obviously, Honda doesn't want to sell any.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 16:46
Jet Sitter wrote:

it sounds familiar. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy that's been going on for years at Honda dealers. I understand nobody wants to take a risk on a car that "nobody wants" but there are indeed people who want MT Hondas but there is NEVER any product available to satisfy them. Honda needs to figure something out so people can get the car they want within a reasonable time frame.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 16:48
Jet Sitter wrote:

You can trust that new Accord's manual will be best in class. Special order it and enjoy!++

0-60 in 6.8 with the 4 cylinder! Smokin !
Mr. Taggart
Profile for Mr. Taggart
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 17:44
Jeff wrote:
Jet Sitter wrote:

it sounds familiar. It's the same self-fulfilling prophecy that's been going on for years at Honda dealers. I understand nobody wants to take a risk on a car that "nobody wants" but there are indeed people who want MT Hondas but there is NEVER any product available to satisfy them. Honda needs to figure something out so people can get the car they want within a reasonable time frame.

If Honda was smart, they would build an early mix that that has some of everything to see what the early adoption take rate works out to be. Make the color options be the same regardless of transmission choice.

The problem I see is that if you are a dealer there is little incentive to order something that you see not being a big seller. First a dealer doesn't want to get a car he can't turn quickly given tight initial supply (which is a self fulfilling in itself) and second is the dealer doesn't want to give away the higher profit margins early in the model run.

Dealers also don't want to be stuck with cars at the end of the year that they cannot move, but I think if you were produce the MT's and see how they sell it wouldn't be much of a problem. Honda could also offer dealer incentives to sell MT's as given the developement costs I have to imagine the per unit margins are higher on the MT's than they are on the CVT's. Honda could also turn any unsold MT's into zone cars for AHM to use, of offer TonyE to take a couple V6 Touring 6 speeds off thier hands.

benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 17:57
2013 Accord Sport 6mt smokes the 2013 Fusion SE 6MT in acceleration, according to Motor Trend:

2013 Ford Fusion SE
1.6L turbo I-4 and 6M with 178 hp and 184 lb-ft
0-60 mph: 8.0 seconds
Quarter Mile: 16.1 seconds at 88.1 mph

2013 Accord Sport 6MT
0-60: 6.8 sec
Quarter Mile: 15.3 sec 92.3 mph

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1209_2013_ford_fusion_first_test/?ti=v2
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 18:00
Here's what MT says about the feel of the manual. It's much more positive than negative, but it does have a nit to pick. Other reviews I've seen have been more purely positive:

The optional six-speed manual is likewise impressive, whether matched to the four-cylinder or the V-6. Shifts are short and crisp with a good mechanical feel and easy-to-find gates. The clutch, though, is completely numb with no identifiable engagement point. It seems to be spread out across the entire length of travel, and the result is that it's nearly impossible to make a harsh or jerky shift. If you want to impress someone with your smooth shifting, this is the car to do it in.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1209_2013_honda_accord_first_test/viewall.html#ixzz27QXNJk9H
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 18:02
Automobile magazine:

The Accord's base transmission remains a manual, which now has six forward gears instead of five. It's a slick-shifting unit, as you'd expect, and suits this large car surprisingly well.

Read more: http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1209_2013_honda_accord/viewall.html#ixzz27QY3mdXX
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 18:04
Road and Track:

The manual transmissions are typically Honda—snick-snick, short throws, precise engagements, sweet clutch.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/drives/2013-honda-accord
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 18:06
Car and Driver:

Of course, we’d prefer the optional six-speed stick, with its tightly spaced gates and short throws...

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2013-honda-accord-sedan-first-drive-review
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 18:09
The Truth About Cars:

....the manual transmission would be my personal preference. Available on the base, LX, Sport and EX trims, the 6-speed manual is a typical Honda close ratio manual that is skewed to the shorter end of the ratio scale for performance. The relatively low-end torque of the 2.4L engine seemed very “un-Honda” but is a welcome change. In true Honda fashion, the small four cylinder sounded perfectly happy to rev high and keep the fun going.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2012/09/pre-production-review-2013-honda-accord-part-2/
gregjhonda
Profile for gregjhonda
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 19:02
I am passing on the Accord sedan for now because I want a white exterior with a black interior. The black leather interior in other cars I've looked at really pops against the white exterior. The fact that the beige interior also "features" a two tone dash makes it even more weird. So if I do go with the Accord it will have to be the Marino red coupe with black leather.

Greg
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 19:35
Thanks for the posts. I do hope that a stick comes in, so I can take it for a drive.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 20:00
Jet Sitter wrote:
Thanks for the posts. I do hope that a stick comes in, so I can take it for a drive.

I hope so too, and look forward to your report.

Are you in a medium to large sized city with a few Honda dealers? If so, eventually some manuals should show up. Usually dealers only have maybe one out of 50 cars as manuals these days. The take rate for manuals really has dropped to something like 2-3%. But my guess is that when a dealer has c. 50 2013 Accords in stock that maybe one will be a manual...
BorisHonda
Profile for BorisHonda
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 20:21
When I was buying my Accord (stick) I waited 2 months for Exact color and Exact trim level. So - patience is virtue. I understand you (maybe) want to be 'first kid on the block', to show off your pride but I suggest you wait a little bit, read all possible reviews, do quite a few test drives and then spend money.
No matter how I respect (and love Honda) I have to compare it to new Altima, Elantra GT and (not yet released - 2014 model :))) KIA Forte.
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-24-2012 20:24
Honda should really come up with some enthusiast order system, so us car guys can get an MT in a good color combination within a reasonable amount of time.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 08:22
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
Honda should really come up with some enthusiast order system, so us car guys can get an MT in a good color combination within a reasonable amount of time.

When I ordered my manual it didn't take that long. And I have to say that there was a special feel in thinking that the factory was building one "just for me." Once I put down my deposit, I think it was about 10 weeks until I took delivery. That was a nice day...

Dealer: "Hi Ben! Your car just arrived today, and they've washed it and put it in the middle of the showroom floor. It's a beauty. Are you ready to come get it?"

Of course I said yes, and it was everything I was hoping for and more.

And from my experience I encouraged my brother-in-law to special order a 2012 Civic sedan Si in just the color he wanted. That one was made in Canada, and I think it took almost 3 months to get built and arrive. But it was worth the wait. I got to drive it, and I think it's a terrific car. The 6 speed manual on the new Si is a thing of beauty to use, and I think it will be the same with the new Accord.

Anyway, special ordering does take some patience. And it's not like you're in a good bargaining position! They know you want the car, and sometimes you want a car that otherwise might not be that easy for them to sell. I only got a discount of $1000 off of msrp for my 2008 Accord back in the Fall of 2007, and that was the best I could do with a salesperson who liked me and from whom I'd bought another Accord 5 years earlier. He even tried to discourage me from the special order for a while, but once he saw that that was what I really wanted he was all in for me and helped make it happen.

Anyway, I share this for what it's worth, and encourage people to order a manual and wait if that's what it takes to get one....It's worth it!
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 11:09
Jet Sitter wrote:

I do understand the buying process in the US is pretty different to Japan (here you can only expect to have a few demos of the most popular cars on a dealer, and stocks are nearly non-existent for most).

That said, I did buy my 6MT CR-Z without having been able to drive the stick by myself. I did go to drive the CVT, got to feel the car minus the transmission I wanted, and put down my money based on early reviews, Honda promises, and the positive experience with nearly all Honda MTs since I started to drive.

Guess that Honda's rationale is that "those who want an MT are both ready to wait for it and will buy it regardless". For sure it pisses me off like so many others, yet I also understand dealers business can't really be otherwise.
SH-AWD10
Profile for SH-AWD10
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 11:40
If you search on Autotrader, there is not a single 6MT 2013 Accord available in the country. One dealer I visited told me they weren't even able to order any MTs in their first allocation. Apparently, Honda wants to get the pipeline filled with CVTs and ATs before it begins shipping 6MTs.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 11:52
I think Honda will be looking mainly to the order banks for the 6MT's that they build. The lack of inventory and the fact that they only offer 2 colors in the 6MT's seems to indicate a grudging acknowledgement of those of us who drive stick.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 12:14
SH-AWD10 wrote:
If you search on Autotrader, there is not a single 6MT 2013 Accord available in the country. One dealer I visited told me they weren't even able to order any MTs in their first allocation. Apparently, Honda wants to get the pipeline filled with CVTs and ATs before it begins shipping 6MTs.

I just did a similar search this morning, because I wanted to test drive a 6MT. I was surprised to see 0 manual transmission models at any nearby dealer. At individual dealer websites, CVT and 6AT Accords are plentiful or in transit.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 12:18
superchg2 wrote:
I think Honda will be looking mainly to the order banks for the 6MT's that they build. The lack of inventory and the fact that they only offer 2 colors in the 6MT's seems to indicate a grudging acknowledgement of those of us who drive stick.

Yes. I agree. But don't let that stop you from ordering a manual from Honda.

Look at the competitors. With Altima, Camry, Optima, Sonata, etc. the manual is already completely dead.

Honda not only let it live, but upped their game. There's a smooth shifting 6 speed manual standard. And even a new Sports edition available! Love that model. Manuals are even available on EX models.

And now a letter writing campaign that I support exists to bring a special edition of the Touring 4 6MT to the states. Hope very much that this happens. Maybe it should be a numbered edition of 500 copies? Just a thought about the ultimate Accord for collectors of a sports sedan of almost BMW quality that can be afforded by people who don't want to spend that much money.

The glass is not half empty with Honda, it's half full. Go for it and enjoy the heck out of these manuals on the new generation of Accord, which is almost like an Acura sports sedan at bargain prices....++
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 13:00
Here's my guess....

A couple of years ago someone at Honda said: "Can we offer an Acura level of performance on this new 2013 Accord at a price that even many 20-somethings can afford?"

The answer was something like: "Yeah, we could do that, but do you really want to give away the store for less than $25k?"

Thank goodness they decided to do that. This Sports model rocks. It's something special at a low price that clearly someone within Honda fought for tooth and nail.

My guess is they said something like this: "Let's give the 20 and 30 somethings a car they just can't beat anywhere else at this price. Acceleration, handling, and features that are first rate, at a price they can afford."

And so someone gambled for something special and got it. I'd say don't whine, just go for it and enjoy it....

Just my 2 cents. Your results will vary.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 13:25
If you order a 6mt, I wonder if you can get other colors than what they show available. If they have to build it why can't they paint it another color. For that matter, why can't they make it a touring with a 6mt?
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 13:38
Jet Sitter wrote:
If you order a 6mt, I wonder if you can get other colors than what they show available. If they have to build it why can't they paint it another color. For that matter, why can't they make it a touring with a 6mt?

Hope so. Let's start our letter writing campaign.
siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 13:45
Same here. No 2013 Accord 6-speed manuals within 50 miles, and that includes Seattle dealers.
Jet Sitter
Profile for Jet Sitter
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 14:22
If anyone spots a 6mt, let us know and we'll all meet up at the dealership to test drive it. 8-)
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 17:35
benbess wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Look at the competitors. With Altima, Camry, Optima, Sonata, etc. the manual is already completely dead.

Honda not only let it live, but upped their game. There's a smooth shifting 6 speed manual standard. And even a new Sports edition available! Love that model. Manuals are even available on EX models.

Exactly why Honda should keep offering the manual. People who are in the market for a large manual sedan will pretty much be forced to go with Honda, unless they want a $50k 5-Series.
benbess
Profile for benbess
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 17:37
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:
benbess wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Exactly why Honda should keep offering the manual. People who are in the market for a large manual sedan will pretty much be forced to go with Honda, unless they want a $50k 5-Series.

+1
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Has anyone driven the 4 cylinder 6mt?    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-25-2012 22:24
benbess wrote:
superchg2 wrote:

Good point benbess. The problem is that I would like to order a Sport 6MT in the white orchid pearl, but it is only available in the gray or black. wtf?

p.s. Not trying to be too finicky, but a sunroof option would be nice, too.

Oh, and maybe a 6MT V-6 sedan Sport option, with LSD.
:)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy