[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Civic --> Re: 30.10.2014 ?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Is All New Legend an RLX?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Black Copper Pearl
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Want Was Your First Honda You owned?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: Ancient Nav System
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda, in wake of 5th Fit recall, appoints first quality czar; Ito takes 20% pay cut
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: This dude raced his '14 CR-V on a track.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford's Q3 pretax operating profit falls 54% to $1.18B
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Honda NSX Testing again on the Nürburgring
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Airbag recall disaster lessons!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 6-Speed Auto in 2013/14 V6
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 15:21
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Curious if anyone out there has owned both and if you noticed any marked difference in quality between the two?
P54
Profile for P54
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 15:48
CarGuyLee wrote:
Curious if anyone out there has owned both and if you noticed any marked difference in quality between the two?

When it comes to quality and reliability Toyota and Honda are both tops, however I would choose a Honda when it comes to how they drive and the way they are engineered.
owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 16:26
CarGuyLee wrote:

I have not noticed much difference between the two. We haven't owned nearly as many Toyotas directly, but for what we have owned, the Hondas were usually slightly better. Compared to my friends that have owned Toyotas, I would say they are pretty much equal.

IMO, reliability is not a major reason to choose one over the other in this particular case. I can say that I appreciate Honda's approach to engineering a lot more. There is just a lot of thoughtful detail in their engineering that you don't really appreciate until you get into it.
P54
Profile for P54
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 16:44
owequitit wrote:
CarGuyLee wrote:

I have not noticed much difference between the two. We haven't owned nearly as many Toyotas directly, but for what we have owned, the Hondas were usually slightly better. Compared to my friends that have owned Toyotas, I would say they are pretty much equal.

IMO, reliability is not a major reason to choose one over the other in this particular case. I can say that I appreciate Honda's approach to engineering a lot more. There is just a lot of thoughtful detail in their engineering that you don't really appreciate until you get into it.

Amen!
Honda1
Profile for Honda1
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 17:56
My wife's 2005 Camry has been very reliable, but at 130K miles the 4-cylinder engine started taking oil, so now I need to change oil at the 3K interval as opposed to the previous 5K.

My older Accord didn't take any oil after 200K miles.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 21:08
CarGuyLee wrote:

I'll just say the Honda build quality will last better or at least the old Hondas. Otherwise I think they both can probably run forever with little maintenance.

The mirrors on my sister's 93 Camry are about to fall off by themselves (not that they are useful anyway, can't see anything out of it) and the gearshift lever has started to wear out so much it can go from D > 2 by itself if you don't notice. When I drive that car, I always put it into 2nd by mistake.

The car is old but now still only has 50K km on it. Speaking of gearshift lever, a friend's 2002 Corolla AT gear lever has gotten stuck because of the dirt and stuff / whatever in it and he has to pull out the inside rubber thing that is tangled inside it to get it working again.

The old Hondas I have and that I have seen don't seem to have this problem. The mirror didn't want to fall off by themself unless they have been hit before and gear lever is still solid. Clunky, but at least solid and doesn't get stuck.
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 21:29
owequitit wrote:
CarGuyLee wrote:

+1

Hondas have a better feel. The extra attention to details appreciated by customers over the life of the car are what make Hondas superior. Plus, better engineering. More thought. Easier to live with. More fun.

A Honda car salesman told me about his father who had sold Toyotas for many years. After he retired he sat in a Civic. And bought it.

Our current smaller car is a Subaru Forester. We bought it for the AWD. And like AWD.
Subarus are known for their reliability.

Yet apart from the AWD, in almost every other aspect our previous model Honda CRV was far superior.
Subaru are fine. They're just not Hondas.

Our new Subaru wasn't a match in many ways for our five-year-old Honda.

It's the feel. Reflecting the thoughtful engineering.

Malcolm

:)
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 10:36
Thanks for everyones response. A friend of mine was telling me yesterday that they were thinking on replacing one of thier cars. They have an 05 Corolla and a 10 Civic.

I was telling them about the 13 Civic and how in a couple of weeks we will be able to see it. They basically said they didn't think they would buy Honda again, and compared the reliability and interior quality of their Corolla and Civic. They are high mile drivers. The Corolla has around 190,000 miles and the Civic around 85,000. I guess recently they had to have a good amount of brake work done on the Civic, along with a couple of other issues (not sure what) over the past couple of years with it. And they specificially mentioned that the Civic interior was 'cheap' and scratched easily exc, and stated the Corolla looked almost new inside despite it being his work car the last 3 years and he has a somewhat dirty job. They bought the Civic originally because she was worried about Toyotas at the time because of all the bad press at the time.

It was just suprising to me. I've never owned a Toyota, and my current Honda is my first so I was curious if anyone else had experince on this.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 13:39
I'd say they're both equally reliable. My family has owned numerous products from both companies and just pick based on how the cars feel during the test drive.

Generally, toyotas are quieter and more comfortable, and hondas are noisier and more firm. (comfort vs sport).

Can't go wrong with either one imo.
gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 14:10
both are reliable, just different personality.
for the 05 Corolla vs 2010 Civic differences, maybe he will felt different have he pit a 05 Civic to face off 05 Corolla, or 2010 Corolla vs 2010 Civic. the environmental law and available materials that is economical sounded at the time may be different, like how emission limit the engine option now.
CVCC1974
Profile for CVCC1974
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 14:13
The 4-cylinder Honda cars are generally more reliable (and durable) than Toyota cars. The Manual transmission Hondas are more reliable than Toyotas.

But if you are going to get the V6, I'd say Toyota is more reliable.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 14:54
Without hard factual data this is one of those subjects that's just hard to determine. Both brands have always been near or at the head of the pack and I don't expect that to change.

With my own personal experiences with offerings from both brands I'll say that the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned was a 2000 Lexus GS400. We purchased the car from my father in Feb 2002 to replace my wife's 1999 CRV. The GS already had 91k as my father had a pretty serious commute so it was all highway mileage. We sold the car in mid 2005 after my wife purchased a 2005 Odyssey Touring. The GS then had 145k and during those 3 years we had not 1 single issue with it. Great car and unbelievable Lexus customer service.

~Patrick
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 14:56
^^
Eh!!
google - toyota v6 oil sludge.
Mochisushi
Profile for Mochisushi
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 15:50
'05 Odyssey EX-L RES & NAV. Purchased the first Desert Rock at the dealership in October 2004, so VERY early production of a first year model. Just passed 265K miles of mostly city driving (only about 30K of roadtrips).

Warranty repairs: Rear engine mount, DVD player (known audio cable issue).

Non-Maintenance repairs: $1100 (AC clutch, Starter, Battery Cables and Rear Engine Mount).

Maintenance: Poor maintenance on my part with the transmission fluid where I have made only three changes using Valvoline 75K fluid despite towing a 18.5' ski boat in the summer. Oil changes per the maintenance monitor and I always used the oil that was on sale as well as filters. Timing belt at 120K, haven't changed it since (going to donate in a few weeks).

Unrepaired problems: Driver sliding door won't unlock (since about 180K miles). Never took the panel off to find out why it's stuck.

Overall, the best Honda we've had (out of 16, about half were first year models)). Most all went well over 100K, but I never kept one over 200K.
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 18:06
Thanks for all the responses. I was mainly curious of people who have actually owned both and if they noticed any differences, so I really appreciate that kind of insight.

Thanks again
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 19:11
Bought a 2005 Corolla S Jan 2011 as a commuter car after not being able to find a Civic for a decent price. We have an 01 Civic LX and I had an 08 Civic Si sedan for 2 yrs.

I would echo the comments on reliability, you probably can't go wrong with either, however, we did have to replace the transmission on our 01 Civic LX at about 80k miles...not too happy as you can imagine.

The Corolla has a timing chain, which is kind of nice...have had to deal with multiple timing belt/water pump changes on multiple Honda's over the years. I will say the oil change on the Corolla is easier...easier to get to the filter. Maintenance overall is similar, however.

Ride and comfort I would give to the Corolla if you are looking for the soft, cushy ride for say, long commutes. The Civic does have a more firm suspension and more feel to it, but at least in the 01 Civic, the steering is probably as vague as the Corolla. More sporty driver and "fun factor" goes to the Civic.

I haven't done calculations, but I would bet the Civic probably does a tad better overall for gas mileage on the highway. Amenities are about the same, but I must say the AC in the Corolla does seem to blow colder than the Civic's...08 Si, included.

Overall, they are both nice, competent vehicles and I must say I was pretty "anti-Toyota", but would certainly have no problem giving a look to one in the future. I do like the new Civic look in the upcoming 2013 model, however, and if I was in the market for a small car I'd probably stick with the Honda family. Then again, being "frugal", it might depend on the deal at time of purchase. Good luck!
CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-14-2012 21:04
cksi1372 wrote:
Bought a 2005 Corolla S Jan 2011 as a commuter car after not being able to find a Civic for a decent price. We have an 01 Civic LX and I had an 08 Civic Si sedan for 2 yrs.

I would echo the comments on reliability, you probably can't go wrong with either, however, we did have to replace the transmission on our 01 Civic LX at about 80k miles...not too happy as you can imagine.

The Corolla has a timing chain, which is kind of nice...have had to deal with multiple timing belt/water pump changes on multiple Honda's over the years. I will say the oil change on the Corolla is easier...easier to get to the filter. Maintenance overall is similar, however.

Ride and comfort I would give to the Corolla if you are looking for the soft, cushy ride for say, long commutes. The Civic does have a more firm suspension and more feel to it, but at least in the 01 Civic, the steering is probably as vague as the Corolla. More sporty driver and "fun factor" goes to the Civic.

I haven't done calculations, but I would bet the Civic probably does a tad better overall for gas mileage on the highway. Amenities are about the same, but I must say the AC in the Corolla does seem to blow colder than the Civic's...08 Si, included.

Overall, they are both nice, competent vehicles and I must say I was pretty "anti-Toyota", but would certainly have no problem giving a look to one in the future. I do like the new Civic look in the upcoming 2013 model, however, and if I was in the market for a small car I'd probably stick with the Honda family. Then again, being "frugal", it might depend on the deal at time of purchase. Good luck!

Thanks, very informitive. I don't think I will be in the market for another car for a couple of years, but it's good to know other peoples experiences. Our first Honda, a 2008 Accord with about 77-78K miles has been what I consider average reliabilty, but tend to like Honda's more than Toyotas.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 02:06
BachelorFrog wrote:
^^
Eh!!

One could say the same about the many transmission failure that V6 Honda/Acuras had a few years ago. Actually, I just took my 2008 TL in this morning for a 3rd to 4th gear shudder!

~Patrick
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 10:54
Honda1 wrote:
My wife's 2005 Camry has been very reliable, but at 130K miles the 4-cylinder engine started taking oil, so now I need to change oil at the 3K interval as opposed to the previous 5K.

My older Accord didn't take any oil after 200K miles.

In the past, older Toyota engines seem to burn/leak oil more than older Hondas... At least that was what a mechanic that serviced both makes told me.
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 11:27
CivicB18 wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:
^^
Eh!!

One could say the same about the many transmission failure that V6 Honda/Acuras had a few years ago. Actually, I just took my 2008 TL in this morning for a 3rd to 4th gear shudder!

~Patrick

FWIW, my old 2000 Accord V6 (that had the transmission warranty extension) is still running great. The car has almost 200k on the odometer, and it's still on transmission #1. My brother drives it now.

When I'm not hauling my kids around, my daily driver is a 20 year old Integra GS-R.

CarGuyLee
Profile for CarGuyLee
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 11:54
cforez wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:
^^
Eh!!

~Patrick

FWIW, my old 2000 Accord V6 (that had the transmission warranty extension) is still running great. The car has almost 200k on the odometer, and it's still on transmission #1. My brother drives it now.

When I'm not hauling my kids around, my daily driver is a 20 year old Integra GS-R.

My dad has a 2001 Accord, that the Transmission was replaced at 89,000 miles, it now has about 180,000 and it is going out again.
cforez
Profile for cforez
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 18:14
Not denying there weren't problems with the V6 transmissions, just saying that not all Honda V6s were doomed. :)

It didn't stop me from buying another Accord V6 in 2006 and an Odyssey last year though. The 2006 has been the most trouble free car I've ever owned. The only problem I've had was an axle seal leak, this month at 99k that cost only $200 to fix. Not too bad for a car that's almost 7yrs old.

One of the main reasons why I buy Hondas is that I plan to keep cars for at least 10yrs with an option for a lot longer, and I know a Honda won't leave me stranded during that time frame. And I can still have a little driving fun on the side, especially since I have a few TL-S suspension bits on my Accord.

Toyotas are probably just as reliable, but as a Honda enthusiast, I'd never own one, haha.
CanTex
Profile for CanTex
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 20:45
CivicB18 wrote:
BachelorFrog wrote:
^^
Eh!!

~Patrick

Yeah, my old '01 TL, now my son's, is on tranny # 4 at 161K miles. I had to rescue him 75 miles away on the last failure, since my AAA is good for 100 mile rollback service, his AAA only good for 6 miles. But we're still solid, unwavering "fans" since 1986. Other problems virtually non-existent over the years.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 21:23
So just to add to this topic...

My sister's Camry had a flat so I went over to help her. Took out the hubcap and wheel nuts and everything come off but the dam wheel just wouldn't come out! Check the handbrakes are off, I sprayed WD-40, motor oil, whatever I can think off all around the wheel and then I push kick punch whatever etc until I got a cut on my hand... but the wheel STILL doesn't come out.

So now they are waiting for towtruck, but good thing the car is near my parent's house.

I have change wheels on my Hondas before and I NEVER encounter this. This is the first time I change the Camry's wheel and this happens.... it is weird
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 22:54
Kick the wheel a couple of times around the perimeter. Not even kidding.
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-17-2012 23:37
CarPhreakD wrote:

I did! With so much force the car might fall off the jack. My leg hurts now, it's still stuck when I left it. Te car is at the workshop now.

What was sticking the whell?
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 10:21
I am not sure if it is my 'perculiar' position but due to my work at TOVA and also with many Honda clubs in Malaysia plus a few around the region, I am afraid I am seeing that Hondas are a lot less reliable or bullet-proof than before. For e.g. my Jazz VTEC is on its 3rd set of rear wheel bearings (i.e. replaced twice) and it is only a few months over 8 years old. My mechanic says it is 'normal' for him to replace wheel bearings on Jazz and City after around only 4-5 years. And my front wheel bearings have been replaced as well, as are my engine mounts, etc. All around 5 years old.

It used to be I will hassle my mechanic to replace my wheel bearings on my DA6 Integras because they are already used for 10 years and he will still check and say 'but everything's OK, it works fine, doesn't give any noise, so why waste the money'. With the Jazz, the bearing really squeals.

Due to my involvement with Honda clubs, and TOVA, I have gotten to know some pretty unexpected and frankly dissapointing horror stories about Honda reliability (or rather lack of). Like steering racks that fails within a week after delivering the car. Or carelessness like loose sockets for the EPS. Multiple cases of Accord front brake discs warping (and a story about how Honda tried to deal with this internally, which I'd rather not share), issues with the transmission oil on the CVT gearbox, Civic header/exhaust issue, dashboard design problem on the 8G Civic, suspension problems, and many more problems that really should not belong in a Honda. As well as real-life cases (and one involving myself) of how Honda tried to deal with warantty issues, broken promises, 'passing the buck', and other things that do not speak very well of them...

Again, like I said, it is most probably 'perculiar' to my position due to TOVA and my working with many Honda clubs.

Meanwhile, I can also said my brother had problems with his Toyota Altis (Corolla) at one time but fortunately the car seems to be quite 'well behaved' lately.

I suppose it is the reality of the car market today as manufacturers starts to squeeze safety margins on components in an effort to maintain high profitability.

superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 11:33
FiSH-Chan wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:

I did! With so much force the car might fall off the jack. My leg hurts now, it's still stuck when I left it. Te car is at the workshop now.

What was sticking the whell?

The Galvanic corrosion between the aluminum wheel and steel hub must have formed a bond which stuck the wheel.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 14:22
superchg2 wrote:

The Galvanic corrosion between the aluminum wheel and steel hub must have formed a bond which stuck the wheel.

It has steel wheels, very sure. So maybe that rusted and stuck, if that is even possible. maybe I'm lucky, never encountered this before and I have changed flats many many times before without any problems.

To stay on topic, that Camry's roof lining has dropped down and is flopping around the driver's head, I forgot to mention that. Never happened even on the 28 year old Accord which was still original until the day someone decided to drive into it.

As for new Hondas, well my expereience is so far, so good. It came with misaligned door but pretty much that is it.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: Honda VS Toyota Reliability    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-25-2012 20:23
Just to update, that stuck wheel is definitely not rust or whatever. It has something to do with a stuck/tight shaft, i am not clear of the details. The shop had to whack the wheel off with big hammers and it took them several hours to change the wheel. Although I cannot confirm, but probably a Toyota design probem..

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0