[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: N22B
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Valid reason for an ILX Type-S 2.0t/SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Current gen Pilot+Vezel+Vision design elements
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Beware
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Weight distribution
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: I drove the TLX V6 Tech
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dodge unveils 204 mph Charger Hellcat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX favorable reviews
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 09:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord
The Honda Accord seems to be the only model that refuses to fail. For three decades, Honda has held consistently high sales, ratings, and standards for the vehicle. It's the epitome of steady, yet is able to maintain a spot at the top of the family sedan segment.

Businesses can learn a lot about longevity from the way the Accord has operated as a product over the years. Here are five things to keep in mind with just about any product you're launching or considering changing:

MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 16:06
Your blue post is much appreciated.

Quote:
They top out on reliability, safety, and overall feel.
No other car maker can produce cars that have an allround feel that is tangible

Honda has driven the US motor industry. Without it we'd still be seeing ordinary cars.

Amazing.

Thank you.

Malcolm

:)
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 18:47
You have to understand how revolutionary the Accord was in '76.

It was small but made like a jewel and it fit four reasonably sized adults. Whereas the '76 Civic was purposely simple, the Accord was very nicely trimmed inside and outside.

I recall standing at the dealer's service bay having my CVCC serviced when they started to prepare a brand new Accord for sale.... I mean my jaw just dropped. EVERYBODY was shocked at how good that car was.

It was ahead of what Toyota and Datsun (Nissan) were selling in the US at the time.. and EONS, EONS, GOOGLES OF EONS, ahead of anything the junk the Big Three were selling.

At the time, the dealership sold Oldsmobiles and Hondas... in a couple of years the Olds franchise was moved elsewhere.
markitdown
Profile for markitdown
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 07:25
It's amazing to see the technological advances in efficiency. From 75 HP and 28 hwy/21 city to 185 HP and 35 hwy/26 city. Actually I thought the 9th was 37/27, but nevertheless just awesome to see how the Accord has evolved.
MalcolmR
Profile for MalcolmR
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 18:48
TonyE wrote:

It was small but made like a jewel and it fit four reasonably sized adults. Whereas the '76 Civic was purposely simple, the Accord was very nicely trimmed inside and outside.

I recall standing at the dealer's service bay having my CVCC serviced when they started to prepare a brand new Accord for sale.... I mean my jaw just dropped. EVERYBODY was shocked at how good that car was.

It was ahead of what Toyota and Datsun (Nissan) were selling in the US at the time.. and EONS, EONS, GOOGLES OF EONS, ahead of anything the junk the Big Three were selling.

At the time, the dealership sold Oldsmobiles and Hondas... in a couple of years the Olds franchise was moved elsewhere.

I remember, TonyE. I bought one of the first in Australia in 1976.

The dealer had only one in the showroom. The salesman was a champion rally driver. He wouldn't let me drive it. He took me for a drive. It had only a few kilometres on it yet he blasted that on back streets. My head was spinning. Smoke pouring from the paint on the outside of the exhaust pipe. Stunning.

The attention to detail was in a league of its own. The interior seemed to be from a prestige car. Everything worked and felt like a Mercedes that at the time was the leader of auto industry.

What stood out was the incredibly thorough design and especially the attention to detail. Everything had been thought through.

I owned a British FWD car with hydropneumatic suspension. Although such cars had a positive reputation for handling they suffered a poor reputation for reliability. So I checked owners of Civics and mechanics. All raved about Honda reliability and design.

What impressed me about the Accord was the design and attention to detail. It was designed with the driver in mind, the passengers, the factory worker on the assembly line, the mechanic, ... It just stood out after only a few minutes.

Nuts and bolts were finished to be presentable. The wheels had no hubcaps. Just a trim ring and chromed bolts. They looked classy yet cost little.

I'm a cautious person when buying large purchases. They had no Accords available for sale in our city. The only Accord for sale was at a regional centre on display in a major shopping centre. I bought it, sight unseen.

It was clear there was no need for caution with Honda's.

Within a year we saw doctors trading in BMW's to buy Accords. Remember that Honda was just a tiny car company then.

My father had always owned six cylinder family cars. He bought one oft he four door Accords when they were released.

In USA where the Accord was listed at $3,000 dealers were selling them for $4,500.

My girlfriend and I later took it into the outback for a long trip. Removed the back seat and installed fuel containers. It copped a flogging on diabolical dirt roads and tracks yet it never showed.

The handling on Australia's narrow bitumen highways was well above par.

The 1976 Accord is the only car of its era that today looks almost contemporary. Remove a few trim details and the shape is contemporary.

Living with that car I realised that the maker was something completely different from any other manufacturer. That's what triggered my interest in Honda philosophy.

Amazing car. Amazing car company. Amazing company.

Malcolm

:)
DanielAcosta
Profile for DanielAcosta
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 11:41
TSX69 wrote:
The Honda Accord seems to be the only model that refuses to fail. For three decades, Honda has held consistently high sales, ratings, and standards for the vehicle. It's the epitome of steady, yet is able to maintain a spot at the top of the family sedan segment.

Businesses can learn a lot about longevity from the way the Accord has operated as a product over the years. Here are five things to keep in mind with just about any product you're launching or considering changing:

I really like the blue graphic. Can you update it so that for 13 it shows the mainstream mileage instead of the 1mpg lower Sport mileage?
CB77
Profile for CB77
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 17:59
TonyE wrote:

Tony, I agree with all you are saying. In the fall of 1976, I was a Honda District Manager travelling in my sales district with one of the Honda Japan staff. I was going on and on about how great the new Accord was. He related a hilarious story to me: "In Japan, at the just-completed Datsun dealer convention (before the name change) the dealers were all furious about the new Accord and how good it was and how lame all the Datsun offerings were by comparison (and the fact that no Datsun answer to this new Accord was shown at their convention). In an attempt to appease the dealers, the Datsun president said in his address to the dealers: 'Don't worry, Honda can't make them fast enough'. The dealers all went into an even bigger rage...they did not find his comment comforting." Their president was obviously trying to say that Honda did not have much production capacity at that time for this new car, so it might not hurt Datsun's sales too much...but it sure came off the wrong way.

He also told me another amusing Mr. Honda story about the first Accord. As you know, Mr. Honda had been retired almost 3 years at this time, so he was starting to not be quite as involved in the design work as he used to be. If you have owned (or sat in) a 1976 Accord, you may have noticed that the little handle on the coin box at the far left end of the dash had a small sign that said "Coin". I had noticed on my 1976 Accord that the angle of this little sign was just a little off (could have been angled a little more toward the driver)...no big deal, but I did notice it. When Mr. Honda came to see and sit in the new Accord, he also noticed this, and flew into a rage about it. The car must have already been in production, because I did not see this corrected that model year. Guess the old man was already starting to lose some stroke, even at that time.

A77
Profile for A77
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 18:50
I was in Malaysia in the late 70s when I first saw the gen 1 Accord sedan and was shocked by how well equipped and styled it was. A 1980 hatch sits in our showroom today - we bought it a few months ago for $2500, fixed a bit of rust around one wheel arch and that was it. From most angles it looks perfectly modern and many people walk by it without the slightest realization it is 33 years old. Even inside its styling looks modern in many ways. How many other 1980 cars can manage this? Maybe a BMW 320, or a 911?
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 20:06
A77 wrote:
I was in Malaysia in the late 70s when I first saw the gen 1 Accord sedan and was shocked by how well equipped and styled it was. A 1980 hatch sits in our showroom today - we bought it a few months ago for $2500, fixed a bit of rust around one wheel arch and that was it. From most angles it looks perfectly modern and many people walk by it without the slightest realization it is 33 years old. Even inside its styling looks modern in many ways. How many other 1980 cars can manage this? Maybe a BMW 320, or a 911?

Some people mistake my 1984 Accord for late 80s model. If the talk is about my car they usually go, "what year is that, 1988?" They probably would guess up to 1990s if the 90s Accord weren't so popular and they didn't knew what those look like. It helped that Nissan was making a 1992-3 Sentra that look like it came out from 1984, and most cars made from the 90s still look like came from 80s.

With lightweight alloy wheels and in good condition, it looks very modern. The ones we get in this region have have full enclosed headlights unlike the ugly US models with those weird headlights. The tach meter is digital too. :)

This one from Wikipedia looks a bit like mine, almost same color.
TH23
Profile for TH23
Re: 5 Things Any Business Can Learn from the Honda Accord    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-22-2012 17:44
TSX69 wrote:

I hate to sound nitpicky, but there are quite a few errors on that infographic.

Just to name a few:

-BOSE audio was on 3rd and 4th gen SE models. None of the 5th gen (or later) models had a BOSE system from the factory.

-Traction Control wasn't available until 2001 on the 6th gen V6, not the 5th gen.

-Keyless entry was first introduced in the Accord line on the 1991 EX wagon. I know because my dad had one. It wasn't more widely available until the 6th gen, but even then it was only standard on EX, EX-L, and EX V6 models.

-The airbag was introduced in 1991 on the wagon, driver-side only. It expanded to other models in 1992. Dual airbags were introduced on the 1993 SE.

-ABS was only available on the 3rd gen outside of the US. It didn't make it to the US until 1990 on the 4th gen as an option.

-I was going to mention the 6-speed automatic on the 7th gen but since they pictured a manual shift gate, I'm sure they meant 6-speed manual. Still a typo though lol.

-Electronic Brake Distribution was introduced on the 7th gen.

-Sat Radio was available on the 7th gen.

I'm sure there are more but these were what I noticed at a glance.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy