[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Acura TLX-GT races this Weekend!!!!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: CR-V MMC Spyshots - Europe model
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production - TOV tweet
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
Classifieds: Buy & Sell --> Re: 2006 Civic SI NAV No Mods All Original
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Porsche 918 tested in the USA.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Author
  Post New Thread
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 15:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
When a manufacturer tries to discredit their own customers, owner loyalty pretty much goes right down the toilet.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 18:18
TSX69 wrote:
NY Times
The Elantra is rated at 29 miles per gallon city, 40 highway and 33 m.p.g. combined. Mr. Gordon said he and his wife were lucky to get 22 m.p.g. over all.

When he called Hyundai to complain, “They told me I didn’t know how to drive. They were obviously working from a script because I got many e-mails from people all across the country saying they were also getting 22 m.p.g. And they would go to the dealer, and they were told they don’t know how to drive.”

Because of complaints, he said Hyundai took him for a ride with an engineer. “They told me I drove too fast and that you could not let the r.p.m.’s go over 2,000. He never went into the fast lane, he always drove at 50, but when you are doing this at 2,000 r.p.m.’s, it takes you a half an hour to get up to 50 and it was an extremely unsafe way to drive.”

They were able to get it to 35 m.p.g. he said and every time it went over 35 they took a picture of the fuel economy read-out on the dashboard, making him feel like a liar, he said.

The one time I was able to drive our RDX like this I got 33mpg. What in the wide world of sports is going on for an Elantra to get such poor MPG?
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 21:24
TSX69 wrote:
NY Times
The Elantra is rated at 29 miles per gallon city, 40 highway and 33 m.p.g. combined. Mr. Gordon said he and his wife were lucky to get 22 m.p.g. over all.

When he called Hyundai to complain, “They told me I didn’t know how to drive. They were obviously working from a script because I got many e-mails from people all across the country saying they were also getting 22 m.p.g. And they would go to the dealer, and they were told they don’t know how to drive.”

Because of complaints, he said Hyundai took him for a ride with an engineer. “They told me I drove too fast and that you could not let the r.p.m.’s go over 2,000. He never went into the fast lane, he always drove at 50, but when you are doing this at 2,000 r.p.m.’s, it takes you a half an hour to get up to 50 and it was an extremely unsafe way to drive.”

They were able to get it to 35 m.p.g. he said and every time it went over 35 they took a picture of the fuel economy read-out on the dashboard, making him feel like a liar, he said.

Didn't Popular Mechanics 'confirm' Hyundai's 40 MPG claim?
If you have to keep the r.p.m. below 2,000 and still it barely reaches 35 mpg, how is it possible to have 40 mpg?
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 23:06
DrWhiner wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
NY Times

Didn't Popular Mechanics 'confirm' Hyundai's 40 MPG claim?
If you have to keep the r.p.m. below 2,000 and still it barely reaches 35 mpg, how is it possible to have 40 mpg?

Hyundai asking him to drive below 2000 rpm always, to get 35mpg, is extremely ridiculous. Because even moderate acceleration will take the rpm to 3000 or above.

I'm sure "genuinie" EPA tests involves reasonable acceleration with 3000 rpm or above.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-13-2012 13:49
haha...if you want adequate acceleration without going above 2000rpm, you pretty much need a car with a V6 engine........

I can do it with my Yaris...but only when there's a lot of traffic and I know for sure I won't be slowing down anyone.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 08:37
Hyundai Fuel-Economy Flap Seen as Turned Tables for Honda
For Honda Motor Co. (7267) it was a rude moment when Hyundai Motor Co. (005380) unfurled a banner at the 2010 Detroit auto show touting the Korean brand as America’s most fuel-efficient. Honda’s U.S. sales chief vowed that Hyundai’s apparent victory would “motivate us even further.”

Now it’s payback time. Just as Honda ramps up sales of a new Accord sedan and prepares a modified Civic small car, Hyundai and its affiliate Kia Motors Corp. (000270) are regrouping after admitting to the most extensive overstatement of fuel-economy ratings ever found by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Honda executives say they’re not likely to make similar errors.

“We’ve been conservative in our EPA estimates,” said Mike Accavitti, Honda’s head of U.S. marketing, in a phone interview from Boston. “We triple check everything so customers are satisfied with the mileage they get in the real world.”

Prior to Hyundai’s 2010 show banner, Honda led U.S. fuel- economy rankings for 33 years, based on Environmental Protection Agency data, and with the new models it plans to do so again.

“There’re a few jewels in the Honda crown that we protect at all costs, and number one is trust,” said Robert Bienenfeld, Honda’s U.S. senior manager for environment and energy strategy. “Integrity is critical when you give out fuel economy ratings.”

Accavitti and Bienenfeld declined to criticize Hyundai and Kia.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 12:41
I'd love to see Honda put out an ad along the lines of:

"The most fuel efficient brand for the last 33 years running - except when the competition lies...."

SC
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 12:55
It's cool for Honda not to bring the attack ads. Haven't we seen enough of that this year?
P54
Profile for P54
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 13:17
notyper wrote:
I'd love to see Honda put out an ad along the lines of:

"The most fuel efficient brand for the last 33 years running - except when the competition lies...."

SC

Honda is not known for taking advantage of others hurt, that belongs to other brands to do. Honda has integrity.

But to get the point across on a Honda fan side sure helps, been quiet from the Hyundai fan boys for a while.

Sure gives credence to the EPA versus real world numbers debate.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 13:21
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:
It's cool for Honda not to bring the attack ads. Haven't we seen enough of that this year?

Agreed. The last thing that Honda should do is look like an ass and publicly calling out Hyundai. However, that does not preclude them from making fair comparisons with Hyundai's new MPG numbers.
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 15:35
CarPhreakD wrote:
MasterOfDaDomain wrote:

Agreed. The last thing that Honda should do is look like an ass and publicly calling out Hyundai. However, that does not preclude them from making fair comparisons with Hyundai's new MPG numbers.

I'm sure they wouldn't do such a thing. Remember, this is the company that sent out a note to dealers when Toyota had the "unintended acceleration" problem warning them not to take advantage of it.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 17:44
Attack ads were winners this year. Civility only works if both sides do it. Give as you get.

One of the problems with our modern society is that we don't call people/groups/organizations out enough when they lie cheat or steal. Especially if they are part of a favored constituency, group, company, etc.

If you speak the truth, whether or not someone is offended by "attack" ads is irrelevant. Its the truth.

SC
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Hyundai/Kia Admit Overstating MPGs    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 18:38
TSX69 wrote:
Accavitti and Bienenfeld declined to criticize Hyundai and Kia.

This really tells something about the culture that is inculcated into Honda. Its good that they did'nt jump and take the chance to criticize.

Thread Page - 1 2 [3]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy