[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Honda F1 engine progress - drivers
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 - 2014 Hungarian Grand Prix - Spoilers
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda/Acura New Product Plans
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic HF review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord Sport CVT > > Re: How does the VTEC sound?

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 16:15
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is there a noticeable VTEC cross over other than the power band figures? Audible sound change?
.. and Is there a video on the Dyno?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 16:48
Hondatalover wrote:
Is there a noticeable VTEC cross over other than the power band figures? Audible sound change?
.. and Is there a video on the Dyno?

I guess you didn't click to page 2?
JP
Profile for JP
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 17:29
There is a small jump in sound around 5k...
xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 18:55
It sounds a bit like this:

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 19:48
Sorry guys, I didn't see the 2nd page link. I watched the video, and it sounded like -barely- that VTEC kicks in around 5,500-5,900 rpm's. Can't wait for the Sport 6sp and the 6-6 (V6 6spd) is tested, if they are going to be. :) That K24W1 doesn't sound to bad for DI, not noisy or unrefined at all.

Duh, its a Honda!

I'm curious to see how the actual Head looks under that hideous plastic cover though. Probably the same as the K24z, just sitting reverse. --Still not understanding the integrated exhaust headers. Restricts airflow for better fuel economy while sorta, re-shaping the power band. I'm sure a decent pair of 4-2 or even 4-1 headers would work fine. Honda has always made hella clean engine bays, this K24W1 shows too much silver (engine block) and plastic (on the head) and not enough Headers or Runners. I hope when ever the ED engines hit the Acuras (ILX and possibly the TLX) that they don't look this frail or gain some type of Plastic covering like Hyundai and Kia's have(just to name a few).

--Yes I care about how a engine looks.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 09:15
Hondatalover wrote:
Sorry guys, I didn't see the 2nd page link. I watched the video, and it sounded like -barely- that VTEC kicks in around 5,500-5,900 rpm's. Can't wait for the Sport 6sp and the 6-6 (V6 6spd) is tested, if they are going to be. :) That K24W1 doesn't sound to bad for DI, not noisy or unrefined at all.

Duh, its a Honda!

That was my impression to. The engine sounds smooth and there's some kind of changeover in the higher RPM ranges. It doesn't howl like the old K24 does, but it's still pretty good.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 11:34
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Hondatalover wrote:

Duh, its a Honda!

That was my impression to. The engine sounds smooth and there's some kind of changeover in the higher RPM ranges. It doesn't howl like the old K24 does, but it's still pretty good.

Wait. Howl like which old k24?

The vtec engagement of this one is very similar to the TSX's K24Z
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 12:18
Jeff wrote:

I believe I have a K24A8 in my 7G. Above 5000-5500 RPM it opens up with a higher-pitched howl.

Maybe the video of the K24W sounds different due to the recorded audio and listening to it through headphones.
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 15:53
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Jeff wrote:

I believe I have a K24A8 in my 7G. Above 5000-5500 RPM it opens up with a higher-pitched howl.

Maybe the video of the K24W sounds different due to the recorded audio and listening to it through headphones.

That, and the noise from the rollers on the dyno and CVT whining kinda poop on the VTEC crossover too. Something to do with all the frequencies at once overlap. Maybe when someone actually gets a video up on the 2013 Accord 0-60 or something form inside, we can hear it clearer.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 17:37
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:

No VTEC.... ToyotaBaru sound.
Zoopa
Profile for Zoopa
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 23:48
Oh to be young again...dreaming of buying your first car...saving money for the purchase...scanning the for sale ads...
Zoopa
Profile for Zoopa
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 23:50
Pretty funny... VTEC didgeridoo!
Zoopa
Profile for Zoopa
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 23:52
xAbSoLuTexZeRo wrote:

The caption for this video should be, "check it out Ma, this is what the car I'm saving for sounds like..."
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 11:44
But in all seriousness, Honda better start cracking out some true, VTEC sounding engines that can REVV TO 7,800 even within the Co2/ EPA requirements.

I want to here "brruuuuGAHHHHHH" Not Bruuuuuuuuuuhumm"
lol.
rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: How does the VTEC sound? [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-16-2012 10:00
Man, virtually no Vtec transition sound. One of the few moments of fun in a Pilot potentially taken away....

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy