[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
More.......................
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
ILX --> Re: 2016 ILX MMC spied with little camo
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: We went with the Accord CVT Touring
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Picked up my GLM V6 Tech!
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2015 Euro CR-V Good News!
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Update on the HR-V
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details - teaser video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Kurdish Mad Max war vehicles
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Sales are up
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: Heading to a CR-V Preview tomorrow. What do you want to see?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: INDYCAR--Pagenaud defects! What is HPD's future?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Honda F1 Leadership?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: How many are on social media ?
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Accord > > Re: Online price quotes

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
graycar
Profile for graycar
Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-08-2012 21:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'm considering purchasing a 2013 accord (touring) in the next couple of months. I have been hearing about online site such as carwoo and truecar. Is it better to go through these sites as opposed to walking in a dealership sitting across from a person and getting a deal? Can you really trust those websites? Really better deals? Which website is better? I am skeptical about making such a large purchase and getting the deal online rather than looking somebody in the face, maybe I'm old school who knows.
crv-16
Profile for crv-16
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2012 09:36
You can almost always get a better price on your own, because these car buying sites get a commission from the dealer. If the dealer doesn't have to pay a commission with you buying directly - better price for you!

You should be able to buy one at invoice in your timeframe.
GoFaster
Profile for GoFaster
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-09-2012 09:56
I used Truecar. They negotiate before hand with dealers, so you configure the car you want and once you confirm this is what you want you get quotes from at least three dealers. You can then accept the deal and just bring the printout of the quote, which has a barcode, and the deal is done. BTW-this doesn't mean the dealer currently has the car you want.

Honda/Acura have the advantage of really loading up their cars with options at different levels, where other companies are pick this and that but not this and that...harder to find a dealer that actually has what you want.

You can always not go through with Truecars.com, but at least it gives you a best deal to start with.

It seemed what truecar does is negotiate the base price of cars and then the markup of options (or maybe they are at cost, not sure), but it is all really clear what the cost will be. What I wanted (not Honda/Acura) didn't exist in the Western USA. The dealer found the closest thing on a boat almost at port. Basically he read the cars closest to what I wanted, and I picked the one I liked the most, but still used truecar.com pricing method. I had to wait two weeks.

You still meet with the finance guy at the dealership, so you can always add on extended warranties, maintenance packages or whatever it is you want. There you are on your own.

I think the way Honda/Acura builds cars at different levels would make Truecars.com work better than other manufactures.
MikeySoft
Profile for MikeySoft
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2012 07:38
crv-16 wrote:
You can almost always get a better price on your own, because these car buying sites get a commission from the dealer. If the dealer doesn't have to pay a commission with you buying directly - better price for you!

You should be able to buy one at invoice in your timeframe.

I agree. I got my 2013 Accord cheaper on my own. It was not hard. I just sent emails to dealers listed in my area by Honda and got my Accord below factory invoice. Many dealers wanted me to come in but it is better not to. IMO.

SH-AWD10
Profile for SH-AWD10
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2012 12:03
Agree. It's the best way to buy a new car. If some dealers don't want to play, so be it. Buy your car from someone who won't waste your time with the "let me check with the manager" crap.
Jmn7585
Profile for Jmn7585
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2012 16:59
The problem I have with TrueCar is that not all dealers are on there. I was pricing out a car earlier this year and the closest dealer on there was almost an hour away. Another one was in a different state.
obijuan
Profile for obijuan
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-11-2012 18:42
Things appear to be a little different in Canada at the moment. I requested a couple of online quotes from some dealers in the Toronto area for leases on a Sport cvt and a Touring cvt and the two that I did receive basically took $500 off the list. That's all.
I think at best it amounted to ten bucks a month off of the online Honda Canada published lease prices.
I didn't request quotes on a cash purchase....I wonder what they might discount.
Anyone out there have some info to add from the Canadian perspective?
EXV6
Profile for EXV6
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2012 13:22
I would try the internet sales dept. at the dealer. Worked gr8 for me last time. They can usually handle the entire transaction. Make email contact initially. Try to get your own financing arranged & approved before you go in so you are not at the mercy of dealer financing and F&I person. Make offers starting from dealer cost (invoice minus holdback) rather than down from than MSRP. Negotiate any trade-in spearately, not as part of the new car price. Get more info. at carbuyingtips dot com .
JDMImport
Profile for JDMImport
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-12-2012 15:32
GoFaster wrote:
I used Truecar. They negotiate before hand with dealers, so you configure the car you want and once you confirm this is what you want you get quotes from at least three dealers. You can then accept the deal and just bring the printout of the quote, which has a barcode, and the deal is done. BTW-this doesn't mean the dealer currently has the car you want.

Honda/Acura have the advantage of really loading up their cars with options at different levels, where other companies are pick this and that but not this and that...harder to find a dealer that actually has what you want.

You can always not go through with Truecars.com, but at least it gives you a best deal to start with.

It seemed what truecar does is negotiate the base price of cars and then the markup of options (or maybe they are at cost, not sure), but it is all really clear what the cost will be. pricing method.

That is not how TrueCar works at all. In fact, the dealers are the ones who set prices to advertise through TrueCar and TrueCar has a tool in their dealer dashboard that shows what other dealers are pricing their cars at so the dealer knows if they are competitive or not. It starts with a +/- relation to invoice and the dealer choose what to do. TrueCar automatically applies any cash incentives to the set price. Thats how it works.

TrueCar does not charge per lead, they charge per sale, which has gotten them some scrutiny lately. Their average charge is $300 for a new car sale and $400 for a used car sale.
KurtTappe
Profile for KurtTappe
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2012 01:40
GoFaster wrote:
I used Truecar.

Your post led me to go try TrueCar. The closest of their dealers to me is 38 miles. Now, if I were in the middle of Wyoming or something, I guess that'd be expected. But I'm in Philadelphia. 38 miles is ridiculous. I don't understand how they can be effective when none of the five dealers closest to me are participating.
XDreammachineX
Profile for XDreammachineX
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2012 04:05
KurtTappe wrote:
GoFaster wrote:
I used Truecar.

Your post led me to go try TrueCar. The closest of their dealers to me is 38 miles. Now, if I were in the middle of Wyoming or something, I guess that'd be expected. But I'm in Philadelphia. 38 miles is ridiculous. I don't understand how they can be effective when none of the five dealers closest to me are participating.

I think you can use the TrueCar quotes as a basis for where to negotiate down to.

My brother bought an Infiniti JX after knowing how much TrueCar would get him down to. It was a cinch for him to know that he got a decent deal, knowing the deal was actually better than TrueCar (the dealer beat TrueCar's quote). But the car he bought, was somewhat high in the JX model line (packed with different packages), so the wiggle room on those cars was bigger, I guess.

I think you can see what others are posting for what they paid and use that as a negotiating tool when you visit your local dealers.

BTW, 38 miles is not that bad. I live in Orange County where the closest was about 2 miles from my house, and there's at least 5 dealerships within 30 mile radius, but the 2010 Honda Accord that we got, it took us over 60 miles to get to the dealership (not through TrueCar, but self negotiated). At that time, for some reason the red basque EX-L Navi was scarce, and that dealer was the only one who could have dealer-traded for a good price for us, and wasn't playing the "rare car" card with us.

If savings trumps over driving, I guess you'll have to suck it up and make the drive. At least it'll be a good time to put the ACC into play on the way back.
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2012 05:15
greycar, depending on how much effort you are willing to put into saving $, this seems to be the most comprehensive "analysis" and "go by" I've seen of the lengths you can go to. FWIW, those who have taken it to heart on the Pilot board have saved a ton.[url]http://www.piloteers.org/forums/5-your-experience/31956-how-you-should-buy-your-next-new-vehicle.html[url]
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 10-13-2012 05:17
Let's try the link again. http://www.piloteers.org/forums/5-your-experience/31956-how-you-should-buy-your-next-new-vehicle.html
turdburger
Profile for turdburger
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 19:27
What prices are people getting?

asking for 10% off msrp directly from the internet sales dept?

can that be done at this point?

There are lots of honda dealers in socal, so it should be easier to negotiate here.

On toyotas, it's so easy to get 13% off.
vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 20:24
You should easily be able to get $2,500 off MSRP at this point.
turdburger
Profile for turdburger
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-15-2012 22:54
ah yes. i just searched edmunds, and someone got over 12% off a new LX.

Since this is built in america, prices should not be too stiff.
MN_Runner
Profile for MN_Runner
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 09:20
Seems like everyone did so much better than me. I only got discount of $1700 on my LX.
turdburger
Profile for turdburger
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 13:37
MN_Runner wrote:
Seems like everyone did so much better than me. I only got discount of $1700 on my LX.

you in minnesota? maybe there's not enough competition there to bring the price down.
vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 19:32
After weeks of negotiation, finally picked up a new EX-L V6 Navi for $30,300 (including destination) + very good trade in + no outrageous doc fees.
turdburger
Profile for turdburger
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-18-2012 22:21
vh2k wrote:
After weeks of negotiation, finally picked up a new EX-L V6 Navi for $30,300 (including destination) + very good trade in + no outrageous doc fees.

so what's the breakdown? how much did you get for your trade-in, how many percent discount on msrp? what's your sales tax rate?
vh2k
Profile for vh2k
Re: Online price quotes    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-19-2012 12:31

MSRP = $32,860
Sales price = $30,300
Trade in = $9,000 (2005 Accord EX-L V6)
7% tax = $1,500
License/reg = $125
All other fees including dealer fees = $375; normal price = doc fee ($400), window etching ($200), wash/prep ($100)
Total = $23,300

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0