[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda/Acura New Product Plans
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic HF review
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
TLX --> TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda NSX Coming?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: AutoNews: Acura Storm Before the Calm
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Video: HPD supercharged CR-Z Concept at 2012 SEMA Show > > Re: Honda: Please make this an SI

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

Inspire97
Profile for Inspire97
Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 12:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
My wife owns a CR-Z 6MT, it's a great car for her. Having said that, it would have been nice to have this as an option. We probably would have purchased the SI trim level!

Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 16:39
Inspire97 wrote:
My wife owns a CR-Z 6MT, it's a great car for her. Having said that, it would have been nice to have this as an option. We probably would have purchased the SI trim level!

Yes Honda, PLEASE!

Free the LEA15 up to revv to 7,800rpms, and add a bi fuel injection system to work both ends of the power band.

Below 5,400 rpms use normal valve lift and duration and Direct Injection for max torque and fuel economy along with more powerful electric motors. VTEC kicks at 5,400 rpms, and Port fuel injection switches over to provide higher rpm power delivery.

A thought of a LEA15 making 220lb-ft @ 2,900rpms and 260HP @ 7,300rpms is far fetched, but Honda can do it. Now thats just for a Si trim.

With a SC model, under a Type-R trim name, would be sick!!

Same engine operation/ design, but with a added SC (I hate saying add a SC/ Turbo to a Honda.. but its ok with this one) and you could easily make 230lb-ft and 280HP roughly.

Its all in Honda's powerful engineering departments and the company its self having the guts.

Each trim should come with back seats though.. Much needed.

Normal and Eco modes will disable the SC electronically, while opening the blow off valve to release boost, and a electronic clutch on the SC pull to reduce parasitic drag on the engine. VTEC and Port fuel injection cross overs could be disabled, leaving normal valve behavior, and the most efficient fuel system to take over. Electric motors could move the car up to 40 MPH before needing the gas engine. Plus all the other things Honda does in Eco mode.

--Its a thought, but how does a 6sp + CVT transmission sound? Is it possible to attach a CVT to the end, or in front of the transmission? Couldn't the CVT disable its self to a 1:1 ratio off the engine, into the transmission acting like its not even there, or does it still make a slight difference (other than power loss)? It kinda sounds like it would defeat the purpose of having cogs, but like i said above in the ECO mode driving to 40MPH on just the electric motor, I dont think switching cogs would go well with that, so when in eco mode the CVT 'wakes up' and adjusts its self to accommodate motor RPM to wheel speed to move the car to 410 MPH easily.

Just a though. I'm not sold completely on CVT's, even though Honda's is by far the best and most fun, I'm stll not 100% satisfied. JW if a dual transmission set up was possible. BTW the CVT would be internal of the 6speed.
96civicEX
Profile for 96civicEX
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 19:49
was this suposed to be sarcastic?
Hondatalover
Profile for Hondatalover
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 20:41
96civicEX wrote:
was this suposed to be sarcastic?

Yes, glad you realized. I doubt we will ever get this.
Even if we did, the LEA15 would only be making 160HP and 150lb-ft torque. My numbers are way too outrageous for anyone to believe. I was just being sarcastic about how not-lazy Honda is and how willing they are.
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 22:26
The L15 is way, way, WAY too undersquare for it to do any serious revving, unfortunately.

They'd have to redesign the whole block to make anything of any meaningful power through higher engine speed, and that won't happen because that would increase CO2 emissions, and because the L series will be replaced soon with an ED engine that's a similar size.

I think the little L is a great engine--got one in my Fit that's terrific--but it's designed as a commuter car engine, not as a performance piece.

My cake, to be had and eaten-->

A slightly oversquare DI 1.6 VTEC engine combined with the IMA making 170~hp total. That would be a total peach for the CR-Z. I wonder if they could make something like that rev to 8 grand and still keep emissions in check? I'd drive it even if it didn't do all the revving.

Hell, they just need to look back at the B16 to see how an engine *should be* sorted for bore/stroke/flow. That engine is probably my favorite. Perfectly square. Just right.

jero
Profile for jero
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-10-2012 22:10
Honda just needs to stop with this nonsense and make a proper lightweight affordable sports car, not a sporty hybrid 2 seater commuter car.
Bullwinkle
Profile for Bullwinkle
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-23-2012 10:44
If you don't like Hybrids, you won't like Hondas going forward
Dean Stevenson
Profile for Dean Stevenson
Re: Honda: Please make this an SI [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-28-2012 16:04
Bullwinkle wrote:
If you don't like Hybrids, you won't like Hondas going forward

I don't like them now.

(Well, I like the Fit.)

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy