[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving Honda - The Book
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: New Michelin model anytime soon?
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Integra redux
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> F1 - 2014 Italian Grand Prix
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord facelift in Russia
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV Articles > TOV Dyno Test: 2013 Accord Sport CVT > > Re: Interesting

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

6SPDTL
Profile for 6SPDTL
Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 10:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Its the first time I see CVT charts and it very enlightening. Personally I think it clearly demonstrates the advantages of the CVT in power delivery and efficiency. No ramp up to power, almost electrical in its power delivery. We old farts may miss the shift points, but there is no denying how well the system can match the engine's power to its power delivery. Finally the theoretical advantage of the CVT is being met by the hardware. Another advantage of the CVT is mechanical symplicity making repairs much simpler and much much cheaper. Good job Honda! It did take a long time but its seems they have delivered in spades.
Rental_beater
Profile for Rental_beater
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 11:59
6SPDTL wrote:
Its the first time I see CVT charts and it very enlightening. Personally I think it clearly demonstrates the advantages of the CVT in power delivery and efficiency. No ramp up to power, almost electrical in its power delivery. We old farts may miss the shift points, but there is no denying how well the system can match the engine's power to its power delivery. Finally the theoretical advantage of the CVT is being met by the hardware. Another advantage of the CVT is mechanical symplicity making repairs much simpler and much much cheaper. Good job Honda! It did take a long time but its seems they have delivered in spades.

Do a 35-75 mph run (conventional auto) vs CVT. Start the timer at throttle tip-in and NOT the first delta of 35mph....this is the fallacy of rookie automotive testing.
JDMImport
Profile for JDMImport
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 12:50
Are you saying you think a conventional auto would be quicker 35-75 or CVT? I didn't understand your wording.
JDMImport
Profile for JDMImport
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 12:53
All the Dyno shows is peak power being maintained. Nothing about speed because the ratio of the CVT transmission is unknown. One would think a cog transmission would be quicker do to constant gear ratio's.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 13:06
JDMImport wrote:
All the Dyno shows is peak power being maintained. Nothing about speed because the ratio of the CVT transmission is unknown. One would think a cog transmission would be quicker do to constant gear ratio's.

speed is on the x axis of all the CVT plots. One of the plots shows the calculated gear ratio on the Y-axis as well (rpms/mph), so I don't know what you're trying to get at.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 13:09
Rental_beater wrote:
6SPDTL wrote:

Do a 35-75 mph run (conventional auto) vs CVT. Start the timer at throttle tip-in and NOT the first delta of 35mph....this is the fallacy of rookie automotive testing.

Have you driven one of Honda's new CVTs? this is what sets it apart from the lazy crappy ones found in cars like Nissan Altimas (and actually, every Nissan CVT I've ever tried). Honda's response to tip in is significantly faster. It even has a one-time step function where the gear ratio jumps very quickly, which makes it feel like an automatic transmission kicking down. I don't think the Honda CVT would lose anything to a comparable car with an AT trans in a 35-75 run.
JDMImport
Profile for JDMImport
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 13:16
Jeff wrote:
JDMImport wrote:

speed is on the x axis of all the CVT plots. One of the plots shows the calculated gear ratio on the Y-axis as well (rpms/mph), so I don't know what you're trying to get at.

I must have missed that graph. I will go look at it again. No need to get upset.
JDMImport
Profile for JDMImport
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-08-2012 17:57
Looking at the dyno, I notice that the Sport suffers from 15% drive train loss. I thought Earth Dreams was supposed to drastically reduce internal friction, which would equate to less power loss and higher fuel mileage? We see the higher fuel milage, but no savings on power loss. Interesting...
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: Interesting [View Article]    (Score: 1, Normal) 11-09-2012 04:45
p.2 Another takeaway: "One more quick note: we weighed the Accord Sport's handsome 18" wheels and they came in at a hefty 55lbs. That's something that will certainly dull acceleration a little bit and also show up on these dyno plots. Lighter weight wheels (such as the 17s found on the EX model) would likely reflect slightly better horsepower and torque numbers on the dyno charts as well as gain perhaps another tenth or two in the acceleration figures."

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0