[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
More.......................
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
More.......................
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
More.......................
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
More.......................
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
More.......................
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
More.......................
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Remote Windows-Open Feature
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Mustang at 50
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
Civic --> slightly tweaked 2014 Euro Civic hatch
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Crosstour's next-generation enemy: 2015 Subaru Outback
Join Discussion......
Prelude --> Re: 2016 Honda Prelude for the American Market?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future Honda Small RWD Sports Car
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Updated Camry, New Sonata
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
DCR
Profile for DCR
BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 02:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
http://youtu.be/pD3hgleEOXA
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 02:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I am trying to talk myself out of one...

Here is another run by Randy:

http://youtu.be/tPoZ1SC8uwk
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 03:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Balanced.
TraXtaR614
Profile for TraXtaR614
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 04:07
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
anyone else wonder why Randy Pobst keeps comparing the subaru boxer engine to the "Acura VTEC"? seems like a really random reference considering there was no acura there and even stranger he calls in acura not honda.
Chocs
Profile for Chocs
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 05:27
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
>"High revving"

>7500 redline

Damn it Honda, doesn't that ruffle your feathers?
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 06:50
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TraXtaR614 wrote:
anyone else wonder why Randy Pobst keeps comparing the subaru boxer engine to the "Acura VTEC"? seems like a really random reference considering there was no acura there and even stranger he calls in acura not honda.


Pobst cut his racing teeth driving Acuras, so he would have an intimate knowledge of Vtec motors :) He is saying the motor is good, revs well, just NOT [as good] like a Vtec! :)
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 09:38
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The BRZ is just so damn planted...Randy looks like he is going to fly out of the Mustang at some points.

BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 09:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looks like BRZ has helluva chassis. With Prius and 100less hp, it still able to keep with Sticky Mustang tires.
Give it 60more hp and better tires and I will buy it ASAP.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 10:11
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't know if I would care about more power. The numbers in a straight line seem pretty close to Si numbers that I am used to.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:01
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
DCR, just make sure to get the BRZ with a spare set of wheels and snow tires, if you plan on driving it year round.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I don't think the BRZ needs more power for its purpose. It's perfectly balanced as it is. It's a low 14's car which is plenty fast already.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:47
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hondarulez wrote:
I don't think the BRZ needs more power for its purpose. It's perfectly balanced as it is. It's a low 14's car which is plenty fast already.


they said it's a full second slower than the mustang, and the mustang is a high 13 second car, so i guess that makes the BRZ a high 14 second car, or about on par with an Si. Not bad, but I would definitely want it to be closer to a low 14 second car.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 12:59
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jeff wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
I don't think the BRZ needs more power for its purpose. It's perfectly balanced as it is. It's a low 14's car which is plenty fast already.


they said it's a full second slower than the mustang, and the mustang is a high 13 second car, so i guess that makes the BRZ a high 14 second car, or about on par with an Si. Not bad, but I would definitely want it to be closer to a low 14 second car.


BRZ STi?
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 13:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
superchg2 wrote:
Jeff wrote:
Hondarulez wrote:
I don't think the BRZ needs more power for its purpose. It's perfectly balanced as it is. It's a low 14's car which is plenty fast already.


they said it's a full second slower than the mustang, and the mustang is a high 13 second car, so i guess that makes the BRZ a high 14 second car, or about on par with an Si. Not bad, but I would definitely want it to be closer to a low 14 second car.


BRZ STi?



if they hit the targeted output of 250hp then it should be a high 13/low 14 car. that'd be good but it better not cost more than $30k.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 13:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 13:33
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
An STi version will be $30k all day long, if not more.
ldvknight
Profile for ldvknight
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 13:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I'd like to see them test the BRZ with the Integra Type-R.
gogzy
Profile for gogzy
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 14:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
ldvknight wrote:
I'd like to see them test the BRZ with the Integra Type-R.

do you mean to test the BRZ with a car that is 10 years old?
Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 14:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick



Because Honda hates RWD with a passion.
Mechanic
Profile for Mechanic
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 16:25
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick


From your lips to God's ears.

I've said this ^ before. I'll also said this board would be on fire if the ToyRoo were a Honda. Instead, we debate whether the woofing dog of an ILX should have a hatchback! Who the hell cares?
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 16:53
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Mechanic wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick


From your lips to God's ears.

I've said this ^ before. I'll also said this board would be on fire if the ToyRoo were a Honda. Instead, we debate whether the woofing dog of an ILX should have a hatchback! Who the hell cares?


No kidding. How did it come in to being that we have to resort to 3500+ views of a car that doesn't and will never exist, and on top of it have to fabricate a Fantasy Powertrain to match?! Ugh...
danielavg1991
Profile for danielavg1991
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 16:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Another interesting thing to consider about the particular engine in this car is that while it does lacks variable valve lift ala vtec, it does possess the very trick D4-S direct injection system which addresses the core complaints that many TOV'ers (i recall Shawn discussing it) have brought up regarding direct injection: carbon deposits on the intake valves. Specifically, Toyota has addressed it by including port and direct injectors, which operate either together or independently at different RPM ranges. They say they did it because it yields optimal efficiency... but another positive side effect is that the port injectors are able to wash these carbon deposits off the valves. This can be seen on forums like clublexus where Lexus IS250 users (only use D4 direct injection on their engines) have posted complaints and pictures of reduced engine performance due to the accumulation of these deposits over time... but IS350 (engines use the D4-S port and direct injection) users have not. Now, this has been clearly pointed to as a flaw of direct injection technology, which has especially hit the early adopters of the technology like Audi.

So, with earth dreams engines and direct injection implementation around the corner... I'm wondering how Honda has specifically addressed this concern. Considering they have taken a great deal of time implementing direct injection, I can only hope that they spent adequate R&D funds to find a reliable solution to mitigate this inherent shortcoming of direct injection. As far as I know, other manufacturers have tried to minimize the problem, but only Toyota's D4-S has essentially eliminated it by including the port injectors as well.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 19:48
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ultima wrote:
CivicB18 wrote:
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick



Because Honda hates RWD with a passion.


The NSX and S2000?
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 20:52
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
excellent cars both of them. I'd pick the Brz in this case. Really has the soul of the 80's AE86 drift king
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
danielavg1991 wrote:
Another interesting thing to consider about the particular engine in this car is that while it does lacks variable valve lift ala vtec, it does possess the very trick D4-S direct injection system which addresses the core complaints that many TOV'ers (i recall Shawn discussing it) have brought up regarding direct injection: carbon deposits on the intake valves. Specifically, Toyota has addressed it by including port and direct injectors, which operate either together or independently at different RPM ranges. They say they did it because it yields optimal efficiency... but another positive side effect is that the port injectors are able to wash these carbon deposits off the valves. This can be seen on forums like clublexus where Lexus IS250 users (only use D4 direct injection on their engines) have posted complaints and pictures of reduced engine performance due to the accumulation of these deposits over time... but IS350 (engines use the D4-S port and direct injection) users have not. Now, this has been clearly pointed to as a flaw of direct injection technology, which has especially hit the early adopters of the technology like Audi.

So, with earth dreams engines and direct injection implementation around the corner... I'm wondering how Honda has specifically addressed this concern. Considering they have taken a great deal of time implementing direct injection, I can only hope that they spent adequate R&D funds to find a reliable solution to mitigate this inherent shortcoming of direct injection. As far as I know, other manufacturers have tried to minimize the problem, but only Toyota's D4-S has essentially eliminated it by including the port injectors as well.



Honda has a new EGR system for this.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Powered by Honda wrote:
excellent cars both of them. I'd pick the Brz in this case. Really has the soul of the 80's AE86 drift king


No it doesn't. That car is a piece of shit tinbox that was good *only* because it was light. It had a 4-link live rear axle for goodness sake.
CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CivicB18 wrote:
The ToyoBaru is really a slap in the face to Honda enthusiats everywhere as it seems to have all the elements in place that we were used to in the old Hondas. With that said I'm unsure as to why Honda can't come up with a small, light, RWD car for under $30k.

Imagine the BRZ with a next generation Honda F20 from the S2000. 250hp/160lbft, 9000rpm redline, i-VTEC, VTC and some of that Honda trick engineering that used to be found in Honda DOHC VTEC engines. That would be quite a package.



~Patrick



Why is it a slap in the face? Go out and buy one.
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:34
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CarPhreakD wrote:
Why is it a slap in the face? Go out and buy one.
This is what most of them gonna do eventually. Its a slap at Honda face for abandoning their roots.

sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 21:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
BachelorFrog wrote:
CarPhreakD wrote:
Why is it a slap in the face? Go out and buy one.
This is what most of them gonna do eventually. Its a slap at Honda face for abandoning their roots.




Don't worry, Honda will have it's own version, coming out about 2030 :) Oh, and it'll be a Hybrid.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: BRZ vs. V6 Mustang Track Pack    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 22:26
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Looking at doing just that CarPhreakD. I think I like the Subie's chassis setup better, but the cheaper price of the FR-S plus my connections with Scion make that one a better choice.

I'll hold off till the end of the year though. I'm on the side of those who think the economy will take a major hit in the next 12 months and I don't plan on buying a toy if that happens. If I'm wrong though another $400/month isn't too bad, especially as a company car. :)

SC
 
Thread Page - [1] 2
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy