[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota plots Ďsociety-changingí fuel-cell car for the masses
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: CR-Z Supercharger released.
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hondatalover vs CJT A-Spec TLX inside
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: U. S, auto sales in bubble territory?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: bland, dull and looks already old
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Input on car buying decision.

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
St3ve
Profile for St3ve
Input on car buying decision.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 04:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Hello members of TOV,

Iím about to get a new ďusedĒ car by the end of the month, and I donít know which car is better overall. Iím trying to financially budget my expenses. The cars that I am currently interested in are:

-2008 Honda Accord Coupe EX/EXL 4cyl 5MT
-2005-06 Acura RSX base 5MT
-Wouldnít mind an 8th gen Honda Civic Coupe LX/EX, but prefer the two above.

I like how they both run on regular gas (fuel ratings are similar), and the insurance is not too bad. I also like the reliability of Honda/Acura as well as Toyota/Lexus. Iím going to be 25 years old in about a week or so.

Some questions that I have are:

Do they both use timing chains? I think I read somewhere that the K-series engines use chains, while the J-series use belts?
Is one car noticeably more fun than the other? (RSX is lighter, but Accord has more power).
Would one car have more problems than the other?

By the way, I plan to keep this car for about 5 years. I would like to enjoy a coupe while I still can. This will be my first car with a manual transmission. The only time(s) that Iíve ever driven manual was in my friends Nissan 240sx (S14), and in GT5 haha.

Anyways, I would like to hear your thoughts/opinions. Thanks!
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Input on car buying decision.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 06:00
If you want to enjoy a coupe and more importantly you want to -really- enjoy a -Honda- coupe, the best there is, I personally think the RSX is the best choice of the three. The Accord and Civic are extremely good choices as well, but the you really need to enjoy an Integra (sorry, RSX to you guys) coupe, to understand what a Honda coupe driving DNA is all about. The DC5 still have this DNA, I think stronger than the 2008 Accord or 8G Civic. Only cavert is it is 2 years or more older than the Accord or Civic and at 6 coming up to 7 years old, you probably need to do some work soon to the car - things like clutch, suspensions, etc.
trexdoc
Profile for trexdoc
Re: Input on car buying decision.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 08:46
I'll give my 2 cents...

I see that you're interested in coupes/hatchbacks. My strong recommendation is to look for a 2007 2-door (7th generation) Accord. It's has essentially the same engine as the RSX but with improved safety features (the Accord has side curtain airbags and the RSX never did). Additionally, this Accord generation has fantastic factory LED tail lights. I'd stay away from the 8th generation Accords due to cost-cutting of interior materials and lackluster overall design.

As an aside, the 7th generation Accords have significant resale value (especially after the MMC - 2006+) and it may be difficult to find a "gently used" 2007.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Input on car buying decision.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 09:32
WongKN wrote:
If you want to enjoy a coupe and more importantly you want to -really- enjoy a -Honda- coupe, the best there is, I personally think the RSX is the best choice of the three. The Accord and Civic are extremely good choices as well, but the you really need to enjoy an Integra (sorry, RSX to you guys) coupe, to understand what a Honda coupe driving DNA is all about. The DC5 still have this DNA, I think stronger than the 2008 Accord or 8G Civic. Only cavert is it is 2 years or more older than the Accord or Civic and at 6 coming up to 7 years old, you probably need to do some work soon to the car - things like clutch, suspensions, etc.

I would second what WongKN is saying. The 8th gen Accord coupe is a nice car but it's BIG, and while it may be more powerful than the RSX, the Accord's weight and gearing conspire to make it feel a little flat. The RSX, on the other hand, is actually pretty zesty feeling. I was surprised and impressed the first time I drove a base RSX. Hell, even the automatic version was quite peppy.

The Accord has the more sophisticated chassis design with double wishbones up front, but IMHO that's offset by the spunkier nature of the RSX. If you value refinement and comfort more than sport, then the Accord would be a good choice, but if you're looking for the most fun to drive option, the RSX is clearly it.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Input on car buying decision.    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-03-2012 09:41
I'll third the RSX nod. Not only the more sporting nature, but the practicality of a hatch, can't be beat. Try putting a bicycle in the trunk of an Accord!