[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
More.......................
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
More.......................
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
More.......................
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
More.......................
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
More.......................
General Talk --> Re: Fiat finally ditches Ferrari
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: SUV for Rough urban roads?
Join Discussion......
TSX --> Re: Last day driving a TSX
Join Discussion......
RL / Legend --> Re: 2015 Honda Legend
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Civic Type-R sighting? 30/10/2014
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda UNI-CUB featured in OK GO's new music video
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Facelifted Euro 2015 Honda Civic
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Hyundai Sonata = flop?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda Good news from the ashes!!!!
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
Read Article....................
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
Read Article....................

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 14:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I managed to get my hands on a gently used Mugen Suspension system for the TSX Sportwagon. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should attempt to install it myself or if I should just pay somebody to do it.

I have a set of 19" SSRs that I'm thinking of putting on the car after the suspension is installed. Unfortunately the tires that are mounted on them are a little too small at 225/35-R19. I think an optimal size would be 235/40-R19 or 245/40-R19.

The only problem is that the SSRs are silver painted with polished lips. I think with the white car that a darker finish would look much better, but I'm not gonna drop $2k in new wheels.



Last edited by JeffX on 05-01-2012 14:44
nowakj66
Profile for nowakj66
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 17:23
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Awesome! Do you have a sport wagon now, Jeff?
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 19:29
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Nice. If they perform anything like the Mugen SS on my prior RSX-S, you're in for a treat. I did the install myself on the RSX-S, first time suspension install for me, and it was pretty easy. The fronts were cake, but the rears I had to take out some trim pieces, etc. I'm guessing this will be similar with the TSX...meaning, fronts easy, rears a little more involved.

Good luck, let us know how it goes, post install.
Stien Azani
Profile for Stien Azani
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 19:37
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
are you sure that it's your wife car? you said before that your S2000 and Ody is your drive car.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 20:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Stien Azani wrote:
are you sure that it's your wife car? you said before that your S2000 and Ody is your drive car.


no, I said it would be more her car but I will still drive it. I will also drive the Odyssey periodically.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-01-2012 21:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
rent a spring clamp and watch out. Once I used a ghetto home made clamp which was 2 dyno clamp belt thingy's when I dropped my accord. One spring popped and almost shattered my knee!!

owequitit
Profile for owequitit
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 03:39
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jeff wrote:
I managed to get my hands on a gently used Mugen Suspension system for the TSX Sportwagon. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should attempt to install it myself or if I should just pay somebody to do it.

I have a set of 19" SSRs that I'm thinking of putting on the car after the suspension is installed. Unfortunately the tires that are mounted on them are a little too small at 225/35-R19. I think an optimal size would be 235/40-R19 or 245/40-R19.

The only problem is that the SSRs are silver painted with polished lips. I think with the white car that a darker finish would look much better, but I'm not gonna drop $2k in new wheels.




Nice find. I think if you rent a good spring compressor and work carefully, you shouldn't have any trouble. I have done many DWB Honda suspensions and have never had a problem with a little bit of care and common sense.

Personally, I would also recommend replacing all of the rubber spring seats, even if they are just lightly used. It would stink to have to pull it apart again because it was making noise. That said, the spring cushions on your stock struts would be perfect, and if you need the top hats, you will have to pull them apart anyway.

I am sure that will make the wagon look absolutely stupendous, and with the 19's it will really look awesome!

I would have to see the wheels, but SSR's are usually pretty good looking on white, even in silver. I agree that a slightly darker wheel would possibly look better, but I don't think the SSR's would look bad by any stretch. The only visual concern I can think of is that they might make the brake discs look a bit dinky.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 07:31
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
owequitit wrote:
Jeff wrote:
I managed to get my hands on a gently used Mugen Suspension system for the TSX Sportwagon. I'm trying to decide whether or not I should attempt to install it myself or if I should just pay somebody to do it.

I have a set of 19" SSRs that I'm thinking of putting on the car after the suspension is installed. Unfortunately the tires that are mounted on them are a little too small at 225/35-R19. I think an optimal size would be 235/40-R19 or 245/40-R19.

The only problem is that the SSRs are silver painted with polished lips. I think with the white car that a darker finish would look much better, but I'm not gonna drop $2k in new wheels.




Nice find. I think if you rent a good spring compressor and work carefully, you shouldn't have any trouble. I have done many DWB Honda suspensions and have never had a problem with a little bit of care and common sense.

Personally, I would also recommend replacing all of the rubber spring seats, even if they are just lightly used. It would stink to have to pull it apart again because it was making noise. That said, the spring cushions on your stock struts would be perfect, and if you need the top hats, you will have to pull them apart anyway.

I am sure that will make the wagon look absolutely stupendous, and with the 19's it will really look awesome!

I would have to see the wheels, but SSR's are usually pretty good looking on white, even in silver. I agree that a slightly darker wheel would possibly look better, but I don't think the SSR's would look bad by any stretch. The only visual concern I can think of is that they might make the brake discs look a bit dinky.



these are already assembled - there should be no need for a spring compressor. The assemblies just need to be installed.

I agree on the brakes too.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 10:49
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jeff,

Did you consider the Dealer Installed Body Kit (front spoiler and side skirts)?

I'm not normally one to like those add-on kits, but the UK Accord Tourer Type-S looks quite nice with those.

RAdams
Profile for RAdams
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 11:02
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
That body kit looks great on the car, along with the 18's. I wonder why their wagons get dual-piston front brake calipers and ours get singles...
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 11:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Don't forget the badges! ;-)

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 11:16
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
typer_801 wrote:
Jeff,

Did you consider the Dealer Installed Body Kit (front spoiler and side skirts)?

I'm not normally one to like those add-on kits, but the UK Accord Tourer Type-S looks quite nice with those.




Actually I have considered them. I think they look pretty sweet. I will see if Acura Accessories wants me to test a set for them for this little mini-project ;)

I am also considering removing the roof rails but I'll only do it if i can get plugs for the holes that will be left in the gutters.
Inebriated Snake
Profile for Inebriated Snake
Re: Just arrived: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-02-2012 11:28
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
If your on a budget and want to change the color of your wheels you could always get them plastidiped or painted.

You can also have them powdercoated through a place experienced in doing wheels/automotive as the process if done improper could effect wheel strength.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-04-2012 23:40
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Ok, so i did a couple google searches and saw it's not rocket science to install a coilover setup, especially when the springs and dampers are already fully assembled, so I took the plunge this evening. It took me right at 2 hours to get all 4 corners done. I basically spent about 65-70% of my time on one side and then when i figured out how to do it, the other side went in that much easier and quicker. So I took it for a very quick drive - like the a-spec setup, there seems to be no penalty in ride quality - just a tiny bit more road feel and it basically takes the fluff out of the stock ride. Compliance is still good and body motions are held in better check. A good compromise, IMHO. At this point I can't make a true A/B comparison because i haven't tried it with the stock wheels yet - i put on a set of 17's i had laying around from my a-spec TSX - they still have the PS2s on them and they're 5% shorter in aspect ratio than the stock tires (225/45s vs 225/50s). Anyhow, I'm going to get the alignment checked tomorrow (that's why i got the "beater" wheels on it), then I will put the stock wheels on it for an "after" photo and some true A/B comparisons.

Visually it definitely sits lower - maybe an inch or so, but again, I will take measurements to compare after I put the stock wheels and tires back on it.

CrystalFiveMT
Profile for CrystalFiveMT
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 11:10
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I had the Mugen struts on my 05 RSX-S. Made grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to lock, but otherwise it was incredible as far as handling, with a decent ride/handling tradeoff.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-05-2012 11:22
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
CrystalFiveMT wrote:
I had the Mugen struts on my 05 RSX-S. Made grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to lock, but otherwise it was incredible as far as handling, with a decent ride/handling tradeoff.


yeah that was a problem with that particular MacStrut suspension design and where the steering rack was located - that was one of the things they fixed with the 8th gen Si. lowering the RSX ruined the steering feel because the steering arms were sent at crazy angles (at least that's what was explained to me, I could be "misremembering") - this wasn't an issue at all with the Si.

In driving around the wagon so far, still no discernable penalty in ride quality and the alignment feels perfect. I went to get it checked this morning but they wanted me to leave it for 3 or 4 hours and I had no way to get back home. Too much stuff going on today for that sort of delay.
blackstripe77
Profile for blackstripe77
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2012 05:08
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I believe they are meant to be 20mm lower than stock, which I find doesn't look as low as expected. Should be more practical though. Let us know how it feels when you have tried them with passengers or luggage?

Will they settle a bit lower after you start using them? Also will they need to be re-aligned then?
CrystalFiveMT
Profile for CrystalFiveMT
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-06-2012 08:04
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Jeff wrote:
CrystalFiveMT wrote:
I had the Mugen struts on my 05 RSX-S. Made grinding noise when turning the steering wheel to lock, but otherwise it was incredible as far as handling, with a decent ride/handling tradeoff.


yeah that was a problem with that particular MacStrut suspension design and where the steering rack was located - that was one of the things they fixed with the 8th gen Si. lowering the RSX ruined the steering feel because the steering arms were sent at crazy angles (at least that's what was explained to me, I could be "misremembering") - this wasn't an issue at all with the Si.

In driving around the wagon so far, still no discernable penalty in ride quality and the alignment feels perfect. I went to get it checked this morning but they wanted me to leave it for 3 or 4 hours and I had no way to get back home. Too much stuff going on today for that sort of delay.



Hmm...On mine the Mugen struts didn't degrade steering feel at all, at least when the steering was acting normal, which was less than 50% of the time. Steering was nice and hefty and with good feel, better than the Lotus Elise I drove for a day.
IntegraDC5R
Profile for IntegraDC5R
Re: Just INSTALLED: Mugen suspension for our TSX Sport Wagon    (Score: 1, Normal) 05-07-2012 01:13
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
You may not have really known it, but steering was compromised due to the steering arms sitting more like \ / and not -- Of course with the Mugen sussy only lowering 20mm, you would not have really experienced the drastic angle of the tie rods. Going lower than 25mm really set it off.

On my Teggy R, I was using inverted tie rod ends to help get the arms back to a more natural position and I was lowered about 45mm from stock height. Never had any grinding noises going to full lock though.
 
Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0