[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
The Tire Rack: Wheels and Tires Forum --> Re: New Michelin model anytime soon?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord facelift in Russia
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Driving Honda - The Book
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Where is the TL's replacement?
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Any new info on CTR?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> From Sidney, Nebraska
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: August sales forecast
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > RDX > > Re: Good early signs

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
A77
Profile for A77
Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 16:57
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I just heard from a mate at one of the Acura dealerships here that they have sold all 37 of their RDX allocation for April. That's phenomenal. Some months I doubt Acura dealers here sell that much in total across all cars.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 17:49
A77 wrote:
I just heard from a mate at one of the Acura dealerships here that they have sold all 37 of their RDX allocation for April. That's phenomenal. Some months I doubt Acura dealers here sell that much in total across all cars.

I told the Acura PR people they better be ready to sell a bunch of the RDXs. I think they finally nailed it. The only thing that will slow it down, maybe, is the price. But if they're already moving briskly at asking price, that's great news. The last time I felt that good about an Acura product being a sales success (coming out of a press event) was the '04 TSX and '04 TL.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 19:24
I'm hoping they will make a Type S version with the 3.7L engine from MDX as well as its SH-AWD system.....lol

Audi just facelifted the Q5. Base 2.0 model now has 225hp. 3.2 version is gone. 3.0T will have two tunes - 272hp/292lbft and one that will be over 300hp.

Compared to the Q5 3.0T 272hp model, I'm not sure if the price advantage of the RDX is enough to offset its lower output in torque as well as the quality and stuff.
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 20:08

Anybody know what annual sales Acura is targeting for RDX?

To me it looks like, even conservatively, RDX can easily sell upward of 35k units a year.
Hondagirl77
Profile for Hondagirl77
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 20:33
auto_enthu wrote:

To me it looks like, even conservatively, RDX can easily sell upward of 35k units a year.

I test drove a black/black FWD Tech about 3 weeks ago. The salesman told me Acura is only going to produce 30,000 a year and when they are gone, that's it. I absolutely fell in love with it even though I want an AWD. I will have to wait until my Accord lease is up which will be next year. They just can't even get close on trade in value. So, hopefully I will be in a 2014 Black/Black AWD Tech sometime next fall.

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 21:13
auto_enthu wrote:

I will have to doublecheck to see if they stated it but for some reason I want to say they were targeting 40000 units/year. I know the first gen RDX was stated to target 40000 units and I LOL'd at that figure. I think 40k may be lowballing the 2013 RDX. If demand goes beyond that, something tells me they will do everything in their power to fill the demand.
cksi1372
Profile for cksi1372
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 09:53
Jeff wrote:
auto_enthu wrote:

I will have to doublecheck to see if they stated it but for some reason I want to say they were targeting 40000 units/year. I know the first gen RDX was stated to target 40000 units and I LOL'd at that figure. I think 40k may be lowballing the 2013 RDX. If demand goes beyond that, something tells me they will do everything in their power to fill the demand.

According to Businessweek, Acura is targeting 30k units for the 2013 RDX. After checking out the new RDX, I think Acura will have no problem hitting that goal, especially if the economy stays relatively positive.
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 13:13
I don't know. The Audi gets pricey pretty fast. And I still wouldn't want to be stuck with a vw/Audi product after 5 years (even if data says they have gotten better).

That said the 3.0 T engine is very strong. All they do to limit power is just open the bypass valve on the supercharged to roll off boost at high rpms. On the S4 a reflash picks up 20-30 lbsft of torque, but above 5000 rpm the power just takes off by keeping the boost up. Around 80-90 HP gain by redline. The lowered powered versions see similar gains. Just a reflash....

SC
aznstuart
Profile for aznstuart
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 14:42
Maybe they meant 30,000 units just in the rest of 2012. I forget where it said this, but Acura was targeting 180,000 sales overall for 2012 and they mentioned proportion of how many coming from the ILX and how many from the new RDX.
Nino
Profile for Nino
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 14:47
I don't quite understand need for power in these types of vehicles. More power=more issues = more maintenance.
Up to certain point, yes, but past that I am not sure what this really benefits.

I have 07 MDX and while it does have 3.7L, it has 5 speed tranny. I guess tests call for 8sec 0-60mph. I NEVER wished for more power, but I did wish it used less gas in the city, hwy was always good.

No need for more power in my opinion RDX is perfect in that regard.
Drew
Profile for Drew
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 14:53
The East Liberty plant is currently building about 180 RDX's per day and they are working almost every other Saturday to keep up with the CR-V and RDX demand. With that being said, American Honda has the plant building around 3,600 to 4,320 per month or 40,000 to 50,000 per year, depending on the amount of production Saturdays that are scheduled in the year. Unfortunately, with 2 great selling models and a refreshed Crosstour coming out in the fall, I don't know what manufacturing options are out there if the RDX becomes a big hit like initial signs are pointing to. That's not a bad problem to have!
Drew
Profile for Drew
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 14:55
The East Liberty plant is currently building about 180 RDX's per day and they are working almost every other Saturday to keep up with the CR-V and RDX demand. With that being said, American Honda has the plant building around 3,600 to 4,320 per month or 40,000 to 50,000 per year, depending on the amount of production Saturdays that are scheduled in the year. Unfortunately, with 2 great selling models and a refreshed Crosstour coming out in the fall, I don't know what manufacturing options are out there if the RDX becomes a big hit like initial signs are pointing to. That's not a bad problem to have!
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 16:14
Hondarulez wrote:
I'm hoping they will make a Type S version with the 3.7L engine from MDX as well as its SH-AWD system.....lol

Audi just facelifted the Q5. Base 2.0 model now has 225hp. 3.2 version is gone. 3.0T will have two tunes - 272hp/292lbft and one that will be over 300hp.

Compared to the Q5 3.0T 272hp model, I'm not sure if the price advantage of the RDX is enough to offset its lower output in torque as well as the quality and stuff.

I can't imagine what a decently equipped Q5 3.0T will cost. The 2.0T that they had as a comparison vehicle at the RDX event already had a sticker price of over $45k....
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-28-2012 17:38
The current 3.2 Q5 starts at $43,000. It easily goes well over $50k. Early reports are that the Q5 3.0T will start around $44k, which is well above the pricing of the top of the line RDX, even if you add in some dealer installed options.

I'm sure the 3.0T will be a little faster, but given the quality of the J35 (with the revised VCM) I don't think most people will notice. It'll really come down to the higher quality interior materials and styling.

SC
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-29-2012 04:29
I'm not sure about that sales target... the small premium SUV segment is getting larger, but remains very competitive.

While RDX will sell well for Acura, it will certainly eat into MDX sales also. For most people, the third row of the MDX isn't needed.

And I have to gripe about the lack of a center pass through or rear A/C vents.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 13:56
notyper wrote:
The current 3.2 Q5 starts at $43,000. It easily goes well over $50k. Early reports are that the Q5 3.0T will start around $44k, which is well above the pricing of the top of the line RDX, even if you add in some dealer installed options.

I'm sure the 3.0T will be a little faster, but given the quality of the J35 (with the revised VCM) I don't think most people will notice. It'll really come down to the higher quality interior materials and styling.

SC

I had the chance to sit in my friend's Q5 3.2 yesterday in the rear seats....I didn't think the materials used are that high quality to be honest...the plastics used are pretty hard....
Phil17
Profile for Phil17
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 14:51
Hondarulez wrote:
notyper wrote:

SC

I had the chance to sit in my friend's Q5 3.2 yesterday in the rear seats....I didn't think the materials used are that high quality to be honest...the plastics used are pretty hard....

Exactly. the overall materials in the A4/Q5's terrible compared to their german rivals. have no idea what most of the raves are about. The RDX is easily on par with the Q5 as far as materials are concerned and everything else trumps it (RX, X3, Glk etc etc).
notyper
Profile for notyper
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 17:08
I haven't been in the new RDX yet, but I've found that the dash, leather, etc. in the upper Q5 (Prestige package) seems to be more in keeping with MDX or better materials.

I do agree that VW and Audi strategically use some very poor plastics in harder to see/reach areas. One of the things that turned me off from buying an certified used A6 2.7T back in 05 was that once you got past the obvious tangible stuff the rest of the materials were cheap feeling and looked to be suffering from high wear. But most people don't look that deep, especially when its all new and shiny :)

SC

Last edited by notyper on 04-30-2012 18:02
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Good early signs    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 18:53
notyper wrote:
I haven't been in the new RDX yet, but I've found that the dash, leather, etc. in the upper Q5 (Prestige package) seems to be more in keeping with MDX or better materials.

I do agree that VW and Audi strategically use some very poor plastics in harder to see/reach areas. One of the things that turned me off from buying an certified used A6 2.7T back in 05 was that once you got past the obvious tangible stuff the rest of the materials were cheap feeling and looked to be suffering from high wear. But most people don't look that deep, especially when its all new and shiny :)

SC

My friend's Q5 3.2 is from Canada and it has the premium plus package along with the S-line package. I agree, you don't see/feel the cheap/hard plastics unless you look further down and stuff.

The ride is pretty firm though but that's mainly because of the 20" rims.....

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0