[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: August sales forecast
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: bland, dull and looks already old
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Need to order another car...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Where is the TL's replacement?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: CR-Z Supercharger released.
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: RLX Sport Hybrid not listed on Acura.com
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Re: Th S2000 is a GO!
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford Fusion loses manual option
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP gets 1.5L Insight + 5/7 seater Hybrid Minivan - 10/27 release
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: If Acura lowered the RLX price tag
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Author
  Post New Thread
musicmanvin
Profile for musicmanvin
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 15:00
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
TL-Wagon
- Earth Dreams 3.5 V6, 350HP combined, with plenty of torque
- Diesel option for superior MPG and for those who want great towing ability.
- Hybrid SH-AWD
- 6MT or Paddle
- around 30mpg

Sport Wagons are probably the best all rounders and could do great in this market with proper advertising. They've got the driving feel and MPG of a car with the utility of an SUV.
Torque
Profile for Torque
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 15:07
Nick Graves wrote:
Just one pedantic thing;

The Tiguan is MBQ (like the A3/Golf/Passat) and the Q5 is MLB like the A4. But it's easy to become confused.

Nope, not pedantic at all. I was going to reply back with a similar answer but you beat me to the punch.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 16:52
Wow!

xBeastx
Profile for xBeastx
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 18:07
Really like the wagon idea.

If I were in charge of things over there at Acura, I would bring back the TL Type-S.
A77
Profile for A77
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 20:12
Neal wrote:
Wow!

That A7 looks even better when you see it. Magnificent. Still....must...only....build....sedans....
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 20:47
Another car is the A5 sportsback.. I wish they brought it to the US
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 21:06
That's not the A7; but the new S7!
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 22:57
The A7 S7 is frumpy and weird looking. I liked it at first but after seeing it alot it looks like its to squished and squinty. A6 all the way IMO.
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 23:01
Powered by Honda wrote:
The A7 S7 is frumpy and weird looking. I liked it at first but after seeing it alot it looks like its to squished and squinty. A6 all the way IMO.

+1. The back of A7 reminds me of frog's ass. xD.

CLS all the way.
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 23:12
Well, it's good to see everyone is a realist.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 06:00
A77 wrote:
Neal wrote:
Wow!

That A7 looks even better when you see it. Magnificent. Still....must...only....build....sedans....

Now; I generally detest Audis for their mediocrity (VW with overly-heavy controls & too-stiff ride) and pretentious-bellend image.

However, the A7 is a magificently-designed beast. It reminds me very much of a Rover SD1 3500 replacement with latter-day Aston Martin design elements. Minus the Rover's truly awful build quality.

The A5 sportback loses a bit in the shrinkage, but again represents something Acura could look at.

The only problem I see is that the bulky electro-mechanical transmissions mean that a transverse-front engine is inevitable. Thus you are never gonna quite match the trad-Honda proportions of the new Audis.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 08:04
I always thought that Honda should Acura-fy the Odyssey. Recently I read that most of Odyssey sales are the top end models so people are already paying >$40k for these things. They just have to dial the Honda's back a bit & then put in HIDs, LEDs, premium materials, ELS, SH-AWD, hybrid etc etc etc & voila. I realize that like the Rseries, this will probably not be a big seller but it should sell more than the ZDX while having the same minimal R&D costs.

Hopefully this would give them a head start & be the pioneers of a new luxury segment.
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 08:34
I think Acura should be the styling focused/technology based cousin to Honda. As long as Acura avoids going head to head with BMW and Audi they should build Acura as the premier Honda.

My Acura in the US:

- Small sedan & 3-door hatch ($25k US base up to $35k fully loaded)
- Mid-sized sedan w/ SH-AWD optional ($35k US base)
- Full-sized full-luxury sedan w/ SH-AWD standard ($50k US base)
- Small SUV w/ full technical spec including SH-AWD standard ($40k US base)
- Medium-sized people mover w/ full technical spec including SH-AWD ($50k US base)

The latter means the MDX evolving into less of an SUV and more of an SUV+Minivan. All of these cars should be hybrids with the system integrated to the point of transparency. The Acura owner should neither want a hybrid nor care that his/her Acura is a hybrid.

The key is styling. The '09 TL is maybe the boldest styling move by Honda ever. Having a vision is one thing while having an inspired vision based on good taste is another.

CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-27-2012 17:51
I'm gonna use Acura's current "Smart Luxury" thinking along with my own ideas in terms of where I'd like to see Acura go.

ILX sedan/hatch:
- Base- ED 200hp 2.4/6AT/6MT
- Hybrid- Next generation (Acura exclusive) IMA w/updated 180hp R20/CVT
- Type-S- ED 230hp 2.0t 7DCT/6MT

TSX sedan/coupe/wagon:
- Base- ED 210hp 2.4/6AT/6MT
- Hybrid- Next generation plug in hybrid technology from new Accord.
- Type-S- ED 280hp 2.0t 7DCT/6MT

TL sedan/coupe/convertible:
- Base- ED 310hp 3.5 7DCT
- Type-S Hybrid- ED 400hp twin turbo 3.5 7DCT w/eSH-AWD

RL sedan/hatch (think A7):
- Base- ED 330hp 3.5 7DCT
- Type-S Hybrid- ED 430hp twin turbo 3.5 7DCT w/eSH-AWD

RDX:
- Base- ED 270hp 2.0t 7DCT optional SH-AWD
- Type-S- ED 310hp 3.5 7DCT standard SH-AWD

MDX:
- Base- ED 310hp 3.5 7DCT standard SH-AWD
- Type-S Hybrid- ED 380hp twin turbo 3.5 7DCT w/eSH-AWD

NSX:
- Base Hybrid- ED 550hp twin turbo 3.7 7DCT/7MT w/eSH-AWD
- Type-S Hybrid- ED 600hp twin turbo 3.7 7DCT/7MT w/eSH-AWD with the use of more exotic materials to drop 100 to 250lbs.

I tried not to go too far in terms of Acura exclusive RWD platforms as I really don't think Acura is the position as of yet financially and/or globally to do so. Once the brand gets established globally and they have the consistent sales volume to justify exclusive platforms only then would I approve that significant change. Hopefully that will be sooner then later.

In terms of drivetrains, I went a bit further as I think Acura still has room to grow in this area as they need a more diverse choice of drivetrains offerings. I would also add 4cyl and 6cyl diesel engines to
that list to give consumers in other markets a choice.

~Patrick

Thread Page - 1 [2]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0