[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
TLX --> Re: Video Road Test of TLX 4 Cyl.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Video of TLX SH-AWD V6 Acceleration
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 Accord LX Update
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Slow or slowest or normal?
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Christmas time already?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Hows the public responding to TLX in the US?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Toyota plots ‘society-changing’ fuel-cell car for the masses
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: calling out for some more tweaks to TLX
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: 2016 Acura Integra
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda XR-V for China
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 11:18
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
For those that missed it (link to the video):
For developing a sports car, it is very important to build a sports car that is in line with the times.
For the first generation NSX we took on the very difficult challenge to create an all aluminum body structure. To match this new era, a sports car must have first class environmental performance"

Just saying... some people keep pretending they can't hear... so Mr. Ito keeps making one statement after another...

Again, it may not be of everyone tastes, but this is happening guys...
Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 12:16
danielgr wrote:
For developing a sports car, it is very important to build a sports car that is in line with the times.
For the first generation NSX we took on the very difficult challenge to create an all aluminum body structure. To match this new era, a sports car must have first class environmental performance"

Just saying... some people keep pretending they can't hear... so Mr. Ito keeps making one statement after another...

Ito is right, and it will soon be quite commonplace, like it or not. The Ferrari F12berlinetta with its 730hp also has a start/stop system. Further, the Enzo replacement (F60) is going to be a hybrid - electric motors, batteries, and all. Ferrari claims their new hybrid system reduces CO2 emissions by 40% instead of the 30% of their older system.

If the Italian super-sports-car maker Ferrari is creating hybrids and speaking CO2 figures, then one can hardly find it wrong or odd that Honda is taking this path.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 13:23
NSX wont be a Hybrid tho...just have a Hybrid AWD system. Right?

Gumbercules
Profile for Gumbercules
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 13:45
Powered by Honda wrote:

Hybrid: anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds

Translation: a hybrid is whenever you combine to different elements. If it was an electric motor at the front, and hamsters powering the rear, it would be a hybrid. Or even a combination of diesel engine and gas engine would also be a hybrid.

The only reason "hybrid" has a connotation of being "green" is because the first hybrids were designed for max mpg, but now we are seeing electric motors being used for acceleration (M35h, Enzo replacement) and now for enhanced handling as well (NSX 2.0, RLX, Porsche 918).

But regardless of how electric motors are used, they always have an mpg benefit. Like how VTEC can be tuned for max power or emmissions or mpg, but regardless it will add more power than a non-VTEC engine.

Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 14:27
Because we all know MPG is at the top of the list when someone purhase a "super car." SMH. So much for their "less is more" approach. A simple MR V8 or blown V6 would have save weight and cost.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 14:42
Ultima wrote:
Because we all know MPG is at the top of the list when someone purhase a "super car." SMH. So much for their "less is more" approach. A simple MR V8 or blown V6 would have save weight and cost.

and hp is the top of the list when someone is purchasing a subcompact B-Segment car.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 15:53
Gumbercules wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:

Hybrid: anything derived from heterogeneous sources, or composed of elements of different or incongruous kinds

Translation: a hybrid is whenever you combine to different elements. If it was an electric motor at the front, and hamsters powering the rear, it would be a hybrid. Or even a combination of diesel engine and gas engine would also be a hybrid.

The only reason "hybrid" has a connotation of being "green" is because the first hybrids were designed for max mpg, but now we are seeing electric motors being used for acceleration (M35h, Enzo replacement) and now for enhanced handling as well (NSX 2.0, RLX, Porsche 918).

But regardless of how electric motors are used, they always have an mpg benefit. Like how VTEC can be tuned for max power or emmissions or mpg, but regardless it will add more power than a non-VTEC engine.

:rofl:

Sorry, PbH, but are you feeling alright today?

That's not your first post...
lexusgs
Profile for lexusgs
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 20:27
danielgr wrote:

Ito is going to end up ruining the new NSX and will destroy its legacy with this silly obsession on making it "green" and "environmentally responsible". He has already done major damage to Honda and Acura. So stupid. Nobody cares or buys a sports car because it is "environmentally responsible" or "green" and buyers sure as hell don't want it compromised so it can get good fuel economy. How does he not know that? He is willing to ruin it just so he can say hey we have a sports car that can do 35mpg and meets the strictest emissions, yeah it is compromised, does not have the power to really compete with the cars it used to but being green is all I give a damn about and I don't care if it fails.

If he wants Honda and Acura to be "environmentally responsible then drop the MDX, Pilot, RDX, ZDX, Ridgeline, Odyssey, CRV, Crosstour and don't build anymore SUVs, pickups, minivans. Those are the real environmentally damaging vehicles especially since they sell in such high numbers. Sports cars simply don't sell in high enough numbers to do any damage which he does not seem to understand.

I hope since it will be developed mostly or at least half in America that Americans will make sure the car has the power and performance to compete and wow buyers/enthusiasts and "environmental responsibility" is a distant priority.
Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 20:54
lexusgs wrote:
danielgr wrote:

Ito is going to end up ruining the new NSX and will destroy its legacy with this silly obsession on making it "green" and "environmentally responsible". He has already done major damage to Honda and Acura. So stupid. Nobody cares or buys a sports car because it is "environmentally responsible" or "green" and buyers sure as hell don't want it compromised so it can get good fuel economy. How does he not know that? He is willing to ruin it just so he can say hey we have a sports car that can do 35mpg and meets the strictest emissions, yeah it is compromised, does not have the power to really compete with the cars it used to but being green is all I give a damn about and I don't care if it fails.

If he wants Honda and Acura to be "environmentally responsible then drop the MDX, Pilot, RDX, ZDX, Ridgeline, Odyssey, CRV, Crosstour and don't build anymore SUVs, pickups, minivans. Those are the real environmentally damaging vehicles especially since they sell in such high numbers. Sports cars simply don't sell in high enough numbers to do any damage which he does not seem to understand.

I hope since it will be developed mostly or at least half in America that Americans will make sure the car has the power and performance to compete and wow buyers/enthusiasts and "environmental responsibility" is a distant priority.

Now that I think about it, maybe it's best Honda not make any sports/sporty cars under Ito and his environmentalist bean- counter associates.

CarPhreakD
Profile for CarPhreakD
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 21:18
I don't see any problems with the NSX being a hybrid.

You folks associate hybrids with boring cars like the Prius, but the reality is that it's no different from forced induction (offering more avenues for energy recapture actually).

We're already about to see a 370hp+ Acura RL; this is more than many boosted 6s. In addition to that, the fact that it's a hybrid enables the AWD system to offer substantial torque vectoring capabilities while eliminating weight from the axles, diffs and driveshaft.

And thankfully for you folks, Honda of America will be in charge of this project, so Ito won't be messing it up. This will be one of the first high performance hybrid cars that will essentially be using its hybrid powertrain as a performance component- a car that in the spirit of the original NSX clearly moves the game on. As long as it offers a great power to weight ratio, I see the bitching as unnecessary.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: Ito's guest speech at Beijing NSX Concept intro    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 21:18
Love it or hate it, get used to it! This is the path ALL car manufacturers will have to follow moving forward, unless they come up with something out of left field. Honda has NEVER walked to the beat of a common drum - as the original NSX showed. This is the new NSX for a different generation, and as such it is a true successor to the ideals of the the original car - New Sports Experimental

It is, and always was, about pushing the envelope of what can be done or achievable, just that nowadays they have a different focus. And contrary to many on here, for me it epitomizes the man maximum, machine minimum ethos that Honda aspires to - sporty performance and blue skies for our children.

I cannot argue that there are other ways of achieving these goals, but that is the way Honda have chosen, and we always have the option of moving on? God willing I will purchase the NSXv2 when/if it is sold over here, but I will certainly keep my NSX v1 forever. But, when I move out of my CRV, I will most likely buy an Audi Q5, because Honda doesn't sell the RDX in Australia. Disappointing but nothing to rage about :)