[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
More.......................
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
General Talk --> Re: 2014 Paris Auto Show Surprises!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura TLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT 2015 Mustang review
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: C&D long term test Accord Sport
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is my engine a vtec
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Fit and Vezel Hybrid Problems.
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Chinese Vezel / HR-V gets better sheet metal!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Sport with sunroof
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Is my engine a vtec
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 Dyno
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda's Future Sports Car Line-Up
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX 2.4 road feel & responsiveness?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Stewart to face Grand Jury
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: my experience at lexus dealer
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:12
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
As many of you know, I am a big fan of the ILX. However, I think Acura needs something more performance oriented for those of you who want something more than a commuter car.

So here is my concept:

+ RWD
+ Naturally Aspirated engine developing 240+ horsepower at high RPM
+ 6MT
+ Limited Slip Differential
+ Double Wishbones in front, Multi-link in rear
+ Lighter than the ILX.

2 + 2 seating. Except that the rear buckets would be more useful than those in the BRZ.

I am thinking this should be a hard top coupe in the 40-50k MSRP range. Expensive enough to be fairly exclusive, but not so expensive that it is completely out of reach for the enthusiast. More comfort and luxury than the S2000, and the latest safety features, but still able to blast through corners with a screaming engine when required.

What would you build?
BachelorFrog
Profile for BachelorFrog
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:33
Hmm...the implementation of wishlist is not possible unless Honda fires Acura design team and board of members who runs them.
M Type X
Profile for M Type X
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:35
I'd build the Opulance. In current Acura terms, it would be the OPX or something like that. :)
01V6
Profile for 01V6
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:44
I would get rid of Acura line all together.
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:51
What they desperately need, their own platform that they can stretch to 7 series size or build a big body coupe from. They need to widen the gap between Honda and Acura, or they will lose whatever brand prestige they have left. If they don't want those passe V8s, fine; bridle them with prodigious amounts of conticent electric torque then.

So what do we have:

-FMship FR/Optional AWD platform (TL and RL, with CL, CLX 4 door coupe and 3.0L Roadster/Coupe down the line)

-Odyssey platform AWD (MDX)

-FF/optional AWD Global Compact Car (RDX, ILX, RSX)

Customers will have a vehicle hierarchy to move through, as life long Acura owners.

RSX->s3000 acura coupe->cl big body->NSX
____CLX
ILX->TL->RL
____CLX shooting brake
RDX->MDX

If you don't have anything truly unique to peddle through the Acura sales channel, then the original reason for its existence is dead.

Potenza
Profile for Potenza
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 22:57
For Acura on its depressive day, I'd do a sedan. With FWD architecture. Position it between the TSX and TL in size and powertrains. Call it the TSL, and this thing would sell itself. Never mind achieving the perfect barely-distinguishable five-sedan lineup, the envy of all other luxury brands.

Or, for Acura on its manic day, I'd follow the glorious path paved by the Murano and Evoque and do a ZDX convertible. The market pleads for this.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 23:00
Let's see...If I was feeling a little crazy I might do something like this:

Special Edition "DC-R Blue" ;-)

And then I'd probably take the rest of the day off...
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 23:45
Acura CL no stupid CLX name please!

2 door coupe 4 seater. SH SH-AWD rear powered by ICE fronts by electric.

V6 DOHC 350hp
quiet and smooth ride, no windnoise, good brakes, high quality no rattle interior.

blindspot monitoring and whatever other tech but I want the bsm. Also start stop tech.

Small ez request if you ask me.

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 00:58
Acura *should* build a new ILX coupe (I dunno, why not call it the RSX?!) with the new Earth Dreams four banger and a six speed. Price a "base" car like the ILX 2.4 sedan is priced, and make a Type S that's got more old glory to it, and price it a little bit higher. Doesn't have to be super fast or super powerful; just good, and affordable. The RSX-S of 2005 vintage was *good*. Remake *that* car.

Acura does it's best and strongest beating the other "mid luxury" brands to a pulp and nipping at the heels of the "tier 1" brands, and I think it should just buckle down and do just that--like it used to. The overdog/underdog was a good look for the brand.

The old RSX was the car that defined that position, in my opinion. Bringing it back would bring a whole new generation of people in the showroom, and with what looks to be a fairly strong "top end" in the RLX and NSX, and a potential strong mid range competitor in the new ED-Accord based TL(X)/TSX, Acura might actually even keep some customers for once!

Slawsk
Profile for Slawsk
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 01:13
The next Acura homerun will have to combine a global pool of Honda's styling talent and best of Honda's engineering feats: a lightweight, all aluminum body, efficient power-trains and a solidly good looking front end, a prettier face than the freakish ones we've seen from Acura lately. It needs to be as handsome as the 2004 TSX, or 2002 and 2004 TL.

NO BOOMERANG GRILLE!!! That absolutely must go. Unifying an entire brand's theme with the boomerang is going to be its demise. Dave Mareck must also have zero input on design. I can't stress this enough. He should be fired!

The Acura that was around when Mr. Honda was alive was cutting edge technology-wise and had no corporate theme whatsoever, each model had it's own character. That's what made Acura such a solid, well respected brand.

This would also require America's styling studio in Torrence to not be so gaudy and understand that there needs to be a balance in making a truly beautiful car. Honda's Chinese arm also must have input. Remember that today's some of today's best looking Buicks are Shanghai-styled. China is the world's largest car market.

This new Acura should also be a global car...meaning it's good enough looking for a fickle Europe (where Honda have little credibility). I always thought the 2004 TL should have been exported to Europe because it looked sharp. TSX or TL / Global Accord.

The body must also be All Aluminum or some sort of strength to weight ratio of Aluminum. 2800lbs Maximum Weight

Diesel Engine Option

50mpg combined economy

Two suspension setups, two front end styles to choose from: one with a conservative front face, and a more aggressive one with aggressive ground effects. This would really help put Acura's "facial crisis" away for good.

The original (2nd Gen) All American TL from 1999 to 2003 was a cushy, comfortable and quick enough family sedan. It also had a sportier Type-S variant, which had a different theme and appealed to a different buyer. Attracting different types of buyers is a plus when there aren't as many buyers looking to spend on brand new.

It'll never happen. But I think it's a recipe for success when a brand seems to be locked in perpetual decline.
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 01:26
marek styled the nsx 2, the clx.

Along with ikeda, he is the look of acura, good or bad, center breaks and over sized grilles.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 01:36
revvin wrote:
marek styled the nsx 2, the clx.

Along with ikeda, he is the look of acura, good or bad, center breaks and over sized grilles.

That hasn't been confirmed. Jeff and I were talking about who is designing what and what is the level of collaboration world-wide. There's a lot that's unknown. What's the clx?

I'm pretty sure he was much involved with the CrossTour concept - he was posing next to it in a few PR shots. And pretty sure he was not much involved in the NSX 2.0.

And on the RLX - I believe Ikeda said it was essentially Japan-done, but they "put the hair on it."
revvin
Profile for revvin
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 02:04
my mistake, i thought in one of the avengers articles he mentioned something like he was designing the nsx when people online *cough* were saying they'll never build another nsx.
aznxthuggie
Profile for aznxthuggie
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 03:14
5 door midsize sedan-style hatchback like the porsche panamera (or sedan looks with hatchpack function). Like neals "grand touring" RLX picture! Also, include a 3 door hatch version that only has ESHSHAWD, basically the same thing but smaller interior and 2 less doors (RSX/CL rebirth+steroids).

-FWD Economy-Hybrid model, 150hp, 40mpg+ (5 door only), low-mid 30k pricing

-ESHAWD Sporty-Hybrid model, 325-370hp 30mpg+ (3 or 5 door), high 30k-mid 40k pricing

-Flat rear floor w/ seating for three

-Flat trunk that is flat also when the back seats fold down

-"Hidden" compartments along the sides and floor of the trunk

-Expandable lockable center console storage (like the last gen RDX)

-Standard - Reverse sensors with off button, HD 8" IMID screen, reverse camera with multiple angles and lines that move with steering that is displayed in IMID, Auto climate control, steering wheel controls, White LED floorwell lighting, White license plate LEDs, remote keyless entry (not push button start), sports bucket-style seats with 3 position memory for driver and passenger, Auto leveling, swiveling, HIDs with auto on/off/cooldown, standard real dark grey wood trim for grey leather, standard grey (marble-like) wood trim for black leather, and light brown wood trim for beige leather, HVAC knobs, usb 3.0 connection for flash drives, phones, tablets, and software updates,

-Tech pkg - push button start, bluetooth audio streaming and song information display, Power liftgate, additional 8" screen for nav (so it will have dual screens like the RLX), smooth touchscreen operation (at least at ios speeds), Ventilated seats with AC unit with at least 5 levels of cooling, increase heated seat level selection from "lo off hi" to at least 5, blind spot monitoring, heated steering wheel, active noise cancellation, 1tb hdd for storage of any music files, not just ones you rip from cds, LED DRLs, fog lights.

Consolidate the advanced package into the tech package and move a few of the current tech package items into the base model to reduce # of models.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 06:01
aznxthuggie wrote:
5 door midsize sedan-style hatchback like the porsche panamera (or sedan looks with hatchpack function). Like neals "grand touring" RLX picture! Also, include a 3 door hatch version that only has ESHSHAWD, basically the same thing but smaller interior and 2 less doors (RSX/CL rebirth+steroids).

-FWD Economy-Hybrid model, 150hp, 40mpg+ (5 door only), low-mid 30k pricing

-ESHAWD Sporty-Hybrid model, 325-370hp 30mpg+ (3 or 5 door), high 30k-mid 40k pricing

-Flat rear floor w/ seating for three

-Flat trunk that is flat also when the back seats fold down

-"Hidden" compartments along the sides and floor of the trunk

-Expandable lockable center console storage (like the last gen RDX)

-Standard - Reverse sensors with off button, HD 8" IMID screen, reverse camera with multiple angles and lines that move with steering that is displayed in IMID, Auto climate control, steering wheel controls, White LED floorwell lighting, White license plate LEDs, remote keyless entry (not push button start), sports bucket-style seats with 3 position memory for driver and passenger, Auto leveling, swiveling, HIDs with auto on/off/cooldown, standard real dark grey wood trim for grey leather, standard grey (marble-like) wood trim for black leather, and light brown wood trim for beige leather, HVAC knobs, usb 3.0 connection for flash drives, phones, tablets, and software updates,

-Tech pkg - push button start, bluetooth audio streaming and song information display, Power liftgate, additional 8" screen for nav (so it will have dual screens like the RLX), smooth touchscreen operation (at least at ios speeds), Ventilated seats with AC unit with at least 5 levels of cooling, increase heated seat level selection from "lo off hi" to at least 5, blind spot monitoring, heated steering wheel, active noise cancellation, 1tb hdd for storage of any music files, not just ones you rip from cds, LED DRLs, fog lights.

Consolidate the advanced package into the tech package and move a few of the current tech package items into the base model to reduce # of models.

You win the award for the only cogent suggestion here. I feel a few here have NFI how a car actually works.

The success of the germans (various) suggest there ought to be a US market for such a vehicle.

What it's impossible to describe is how to make it genuinely desirable and attractive and not a made-over pig. That takes real design skill.
luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 09:14
Simple Start bring back the Type S Line. First Product would be the ILX Type S, Keep the K24 and change the heads to be K20 ones, add a limited slip, give it better more sporty wheels, add a more throatier exhaust, a few Type S only colors, better seats with bigger bloasters, add a underbody spoilers and different rear bumper (like the TSX SE with the diffuser) and a decklid subtle lip spolier, have it also be offered with with the tech package. Basically a classier Si. Next product would be the ILX Coupe and have it available in base, premium, as well as Type S trims. And all Acuras get LED Lighting
luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 09:21
Actually the first start would be debeaking the entire line. Go back to the 2004 Style grills of the First Generation TSX and the 3rd Generation TL. Then I would take the rest of the day off and start on the on the ILX Type S tommorow.
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 09:55
It needs at least 230 hp, more like 240+ to be seriously considered as a performance model.

Also agree on the LED lighting...can make a HUGE visual impact. Something as distinct as the Range Rover Evoque could really help define the appearance of all Acura models.

luder715 wrote:
Simple Start bring back the Type S Line. First Product would be the ILX Type S, Keep the K24 and change the heads to be K20 ones, add a limited slip, give it better more sporty wheels, add a more throatier exhaust, a few Type S only colors, better seats with bigger bloasters, add a underbody spoilers and different rear bumper (like the TSX SE with the diffuser) and a decklid subtle lip spolier, have it also be offered with with the tech package. Basically a classier Si. Next product would be the ILX Coupe and have it available in base, premium, as well as Type S trims. And all Acuras get LED Lighting

luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 10:27
I don't see how getting 230-240 out of a K24 would be a problem. Heck the were able to get 240 from a 2.0 F20C with a 8k redline, I don't see how you could not get the same from an engine with almost half a liter more. Heck the current Si should be at least at that at this point.
Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 10:53
Umm, a dedicated RWD platform would be a good start? But like the above person said, it would require a complete overhaul in upper management. Until then, expect nothing but warmover civics and accords.
luder715
Profile for luder715
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 11:19
It works for Audi FWD layouts with available Quattro. Audi A3 = VW Jetta, Audi A4/A5 = VW Passat, Audi TT = VW Beetle, Audi Q5= VW Tiguan, Audi Q7=VW Touareg. A3 FWD layout with optional quattro, A4 FWD layout with optional quattro, A5 FWD layout with optional quattro, A6 FWD based with quattro, A7 FWD Based with quattro, A8 FWD based with quattro, TT FWD based with quattro. R8 Rear engine Based with quattro. Where is there one RWD car they make? I think Acura should invest more into SH all wheel Drive and offer it more cars having the lower model trims like audi be FWD and the higher trims SH Drive.
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 11:37
I think Honda should give us:

1 - An ILX with the 2.3T with SHAWD with the slick 6MT.
2 - A 2 seat (or 2+2) convertible that is rear wheel drive that comes in around $35k
3 - A fully capable 5 passenger SUV (not CUV) that slots under MDX. Something more manly and sporty. Thinking, 6MT and can tow 3500 lbs. Kind of like a grown up (matured) Element (Ford Edge kind of)
4 - I'm still shocked that there isn't an Acura minivan. Oddysey has positioned itself way up market (in a bad way)
5 - I too think the Integra and Prelude nameplates should come back. The CL was cool because it was sporty. I have Accord 6MT V6 and it's awesome. But I'd love to see something more upscale. Audi A5 territory.

Those are my initial thoughts.

dootndo2

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 11:53
M Type X wrote:
I'd build the Opulance. In current Acura terms, it would be the OPX or something like that. :)

ROTFLOL.... You remember that?

That would not be so plebeian... it would be the

Opulance Opus Shinto III

With a platinum plated engine cover, mais oui...

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 12:04
atomiclightbulb wrote:
As many of you know, I am a big fan of the ILX. However, I think Acura needs something more performance oriented for those of you who want something more than a commuter car.

So here is my concept:

+ RWD
+ Naturally Aspirated engine developing 240+ horsepower at high RPM
+ 6MT
+ Limited Slip Differential
+ Double Wishbones in front, Multi-link in rear
+ Lighter than the ILX.

2 + 2 seating. Except that the rear buckets would be more useful than those in the BRZ.

I am thinking this should be a hard top coupe in the 40-50k MSRP range. Expensive enough to be fairly exclusive, but not so expensive that it is completely out of reach for the enthusiast. More comfort and luxury than the S2000, and the latest safety features, but still able to blast through corners with a screaming engine when required.

What would you build?

If I were in charge of HMC/AHM...

I would build another RWD roadster and sell it like a Honda. Call it the S2200. Offer it both in roadster and hardtop. Put a tweaked 2.2 liter in it. ED perhaps?

The uber RWD you want will serve fine as the NSX.

The rest of the line, I'd keep it as Audi.. either FWD or RWD.

That said:

Build a RLX Coupe.
Build a ILX Coupe.
Build an ILX-S K22 with the Tech Package standard.
Up the power for all R18 ILXs to 160bhp.
Make the ILX K24 an AT6SS model only.. with Tech available.
Make an ILX Wagon in ALL trims. Offer it with RT-AWD.
Downsize the TL a bit both in size and price. Keep it FWD and e(SH)SH-AWD. ED3.5 is sufficient. MT6 and AT6SS.
Keep the MDX and RDX as they are: size, price, packaging. However, modify the MDX to use e(SH)SH-AWD
Get rid of the TSX.

Now then...

I'd make the new Accord a little smaller, offer it with ED 2.4 and 3.2 ( not 3.5). And make a wagon out of it. I'd also offer it with RT-AWD.

I think is all doable with the current hardware, without needing engineering breakthroughs.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 12:37
luder715 wrote:
It works for Audi FWD layouts with available Quattro. Audi A3 = VW Jetta, Audi A4/A5 = VW Passat, Audi TT = VW Beetle, Audi Q5= VW Tiguan, Audi Q7=VW Touareg. A3 FWD layout with optional quattro, A4 FWD layout with optional quattro, A5 FWD layout with optional quattro, A6 FWD based with quattro, A7 FWD Based with quattro, A8 FWD based with quattro, TT FWD based with quattro. R8 Rear engine Based with quattro. Where is there one RWD car they make? I think Acura should invest more into SH all wheel Drive and offer it more cars having the lower model trims like audi be FWD and the higher trims SH Drive.

Good one.

Actually either PAWS or SHSHAWD would probably give Acuras a genuine advantage.

Just have to tidy up the 'classiness' of the package - as they are starting to do anyway. They're not that far wrong.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 12:40
Just one pedantic thing;

The Tiguan is MBQ (like the A3/Golf/Passat) and the Q5 is MLB like the A4. But it's easy to become confused.
dootndo2
Profile for dootndo2
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 13:47
I think Honda should give us:

1 - An ILX with the 2.3T with SHAWD with the slick 6MT.
2 - A 2 seat (or 2+2) convertible that is rear wheel drive that comes in around $35k
3 - A fully capable 5 passenger SUV (not CUV) that slots under MDX. Something more manly and sporty. Thinking, 6MT and can tow 3500 lbs. Kind of like a grown up (matured) Element (Ford Edge kind of)
4 - I'm still shocked that there isn't an Acura minivan. Oddysey has positioned itself way up market (in a bad way)
5 - I too think the Integra and Prelude nameplates should come back. The CL was cool because it was sporty. I have Accord 6MT V6 and it's awesome. But I'd love to see something more upscale. Audi A5 territory.

dootndo2
typer_801
Profile for typer_801
Re: You're the product planner. What vehicle does Acura build?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-26-2012 14:06
Really?!? 70+% of Odyssey sales are EX-L and above models. They'd have little sales and no real head-to-head comparitive model with the Sienna if they took away the high-end Ody's. Most of what I see where I live are Touring's, rarely see an LX (like 1 maybe on the road). Touring models are everywhere.

dootndo2 wrote:

dootndo2