[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX first public test notes.
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: 2015 Hyundai Genesis: C/D and Automobile both like it
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Acura Boat
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda/Acura New Product Plans
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda NSX Coming?
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
Insight --> Re: Next Generation Insight(MY2017)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Best burger in Anaheim, California???
Join Discussion......
Repair and Maintenance --> Re: 94 H22a jdm in a 90 accord will only roll start...Please help
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic in 2016
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Ford Fusion loses manual option
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > ILX > > Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2012 21:19
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Is the "Near Luxury" Buyer Myth or Reality
Edmunds.com says 16% of people who used the car-shopping site to research the ILX in March also looked at the TSX. The next most cross-shopped cars against the ILX were the Acura TL and the Honda Accord. Among models offered by Honda rivals, ILX customers looked most at the Lexus CT 200h, a compact hatchback that Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand is aiming at the same younger buyers Acura wants.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-24-2012 23:37
TSX69 wrote:
Edmunds.com says 16% of people who used the car-shopping site to research the ILX in March also looked at the TSX. The next most cross-shopped cars against the ILX were the Acura TL and the Honda Accord. Among models offered by Honda rivals, ILX customers looked most at the Lexus CT 200h, a compact hatchback that Toyota Motor Corp.'s luxury brand is aiming at the same younger buyers Acura wants.

I guess we have to wait and see for the numbers to come up. Although I don't share the negative sentiment of the car (quite fond of it actually), I personally feel that this car is a bit rushed especially with the dated 5 speed. If the car comes with the R20 + idle stop like the new JDM StepWGN and equipped with a 6 speed auto, I would totally evangelize the car even though we don't have Acura this part of the world.

The prove is in the pudding some say, and I would wait for its quarterly sell out report before making any judgement.
Kool Aid
Profile for Kool Aid
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 00:28
Midi_Amp wrote:
TSX69 wrote:

I guess we have to wait and see for the numbers to come up. Although I don't share the negative sentiment of the car (quite fond of it actually), I personally feel that this car is a bit rushed especially with the dated 5 speed. If the car comes with the R20 + idle stop like the new JDM StepWGN and equipped with a 6 speed auto, I would totally evangelize the car even though we don't have Acura this part of the world.

The prove is in the pudding some say, and I would wait for its quarterly sell out report before making any judgement.

OK, but is 16% a statistically relevant number? Could that be the number of folks who don't know anything about the brand and the alphabet soup naming convention? So they end up just clicking different models?
auto_enthu
Profile for auto_enthu
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 03:38

After reading several reviews and taking close look at specs and competition, I think ILX will definitely find reasonable number of buyers.

However, I think ILX will only sell in average numbers, ie it would neither be a sales flop nor a big sales success.

I do believe, though, that ILX will become more appealing as ED powertrains are introduced, assuming no significant price increase when ED comes-in.
Chocs
Profile for Chocs
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 04:52
When they do introduce ED though... the ILX will have lost the initial splash and will have to deal with the image of mediocrity. Not bad... not exceptional either. I think people are less willing to take a second look than a first.

Would it have killed to wait? The RDX seems to be able to make some buzz on its own.
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 05:24
Chocs wrote:
When they do introduce ED though... the ILX will have lost the initial splash and will have to deal with the image of mediocrity. Not bad... not exceptional either. I think people are less willing to take a second look than a first.

Would it have killed to wait? The RDX seems to be able to make some buzz on its own.

Just wondering, a business decision this big should have been made with competition in mind... What exactly is coming after the ILX in the same category? To my knowledge, the XBOX 360 was rushed to hit Playstation 3 release schedule, hence the erratic cooling solution. Still, the strategy works, the XBOX gains sales lead time and enjoys good sales time for a while.

Seeing that ED is just right around the corner, a 6 month delay for the car is... No brainer... So, just confused why the hurry, unless there's something big coming to be stopped dead in the track.
longhorn
Profile for longhorn
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 10:01
1. This car will steal upper Accord EXL buyers.

2. The reason this car did not debut with the ED tech, is probably due to logistics. With the volume Accord getting the tech, its going to be pushing the logistics train just to build the Accord. Not enough ED manufacturing capacity to accomadate the ILX for now.
Chocs
Profile for Chocs
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 12:10
longhorn wrote:

2. The reason this car did not debut with the ED tech, is probably due to logistics. With the volume Accord getting the tech, its going to be pushing the logistics train just to build the Accord. Not enough ED manufacturing capacity to accomadate the ILX for now.

But they are going to stick ED in the ILX anyway, right? What if they had withheld the ILX until the date they are going to equip it with ED?

Sure, that might be far off -- I don't think we even have an official date for it yet -- but a good first impression can go a long way.. especially against the stigma of being a Civic+ with similar drivetrains.
VTEC_Inside
Profile for VTEC_Inside
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 12:14
longhorn wrote:

1? You really think so? The Accord is still a bigger car with the 2.4L being offered with an automatic.

I could see picking one (2.4L 6mt)up used in a couple years to replace my CSX, but I have little expectation of it being an exciting car. Sucks that you can't get that one with the fancy stereo.

DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-25-2012 13:22
1. If Honda have to rush an ED engine, I think, it should be the 1.6 diesel. It will determine the success of Euro Civic (and, Honda's success in certain market, if there's a smaller one or a lower cost one coming), and therein, I guess, the plan to turn around Honda Europe. As important as that, it won't be on market until early 13. More than 15 months later than the oringinal introduction date of FMC Civc. (before the quake and flood)

2. I don't know when Honda will replace the R18, R20 with ED, but I guess, not as close as many of you think. (before end of 13, anyone?)

3. I am actually quite happy that, there is early evidence that a major competitor other than Acura/Honda being considered is CT200h.

4. Edmunds's survey is done in March? It's too early to draw conclusion from there.

5. IlX cannot be delayed much longer. Consider this: once the next FMC Civic arrives, say in a little more than four years, many would wait out for the next redesigned ILX, effectively cutting short the current one's(it is not even on market now, LOL) product life, and making it even hard to justify for investing that much into ILX: all-new sheet metal, lights, even the expensive windshield.

6. Don't believe everything you read. The ILX has 30 less hp than Verano, but, at less than 3,000 lb. fully loaded, compares with a Verano that approaches 3,500 lb. (C&D test car weighs 3,484 lb.), they both get similar lb./hp ratio. Therefore, I would guess, the ILX will get 0-60mph in about same time as Verano. (Insideline quotes about 9 sec.)

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-30-2012 00:12
Q: Does Near Luxury ILX Buyer Exist?

A: *Raises hand*

I'd be into it.

The Missus and I on the tail end of Gen X, both born in '82. The thought of an Acura that isn't big and thirsty and expensive like the TL, or overstyled, beaky and expensive for what you get in the TSX, is pretty awesome.

The 2.4 ILX is a car I'd drive the hell out of.

Unfortunately for Acura and Honda we're so pleased with our current cars--'07 Fit and '07 TL--that we're going to be driving those for a long time still and don't want to buy another car. If we were on the market, however, it'd be on the top of the lists of "to try", and I can think of a lot of people who this car would appeal to.

FWIW, I think it's going to be a chick car. Not a bad thing, but a truth that will be told.

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy