[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Some random NYIAS thoughts on auto interiors
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Bloomberg: ASIMO gives Honda edge in driverless cars
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: Acura NSX....How it's going to be sold in the US
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: Any rumors about Honda F1 engine progress?
Join Discussion......
MDX --> Re: My review
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Converting to HID lights in 13 or 14' Accord...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: If there was a TLX Wagon
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Acura Style Magazine - Out of touch?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: latest CTR details - megane 275r 7:45 minutes
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda FY14 production / JP sales
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 9th Generation Honda Accord Reviews
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 02:14
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
I just got the magazine (papercopy). The article was titled "Shift of throne" (maybe bad translation)

It was VW Golf vs Hyundai i30 vs Civic 1.8Sport

Hyunday came in first with Golf&Civic sharing second place.

There was alot of praise for the Civic. I am so happy about that!

The Civic got most praise for turning well, good steering and wait!, it's very high quality steering wheel, with luxury soft touches. They loved the soft leather and rounded smooth buttons.

The Honda got some low points for little torque (but so got the Hyundai), of course the magic seats were superb.

They commented something I've also noticed lately, you tend to sit higher in Hondas than the germans, I don't know if it's of safety reasons or why Hondas (same with Eu-Accord) don't allow the seat to be moved as low as on the "euro sport sedans".

They found the brightness of the IMID display way too dark in daylight (and I agree)

Overall very good review for Honda!

As stated in other posts earlier, my Dad bought a new Civic couple of weeks ago, and I was really impressed with it except by three things. You sit kind of high, dark imid display and unfortunaly weak motor (yes, I've grown used to the higher torque on modern small displacement turbo engines now)

Way to go Honda! Now do similar with the EU Accord.
sadlerau
Profile for sadlerau
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 05:02
I'm shocked to see Hyundai in 1st place, especially over the Golf! Can you give us the reasons the magazine gave for the Hyundai winning the comparison?

One of my co-worker has just moved into an Hyundai i35, not a bad little car, but oh so much cheaper looking and feeling than my CRV.
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 08:08
You sit too high because of the fuel tank & also because short people can drive a Honda too.

Wasn't there a video of VW's CEO sitting in the Hyundai at a motor show & swearing about why couldn't THEY do that for the price too?
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-21-2012 09:01
Nick Graves wrote:
[...]
Wasn't there a video of VW's CEO sitting in the Hyundai at a motor show & swearing about why couldn't THEY do that for the price too?
I'm surprised he was asking… Doesn't say much in favor of a CEO's general culture.

Here is an idea … Hyundais sold in Europe are either made in:
- Czech Republic, whose per capita income is less than half that of Germany.
- South Korea, whose per capita income is a bit over half that of Germany (but less spread, making bottom of society even cheaper...). And well, let's not forget that South Korea has signed an FTA with the EU, so basically their cars are shipped to the old world with no surcharges...

For sure a very different situation for VW... just as for Honda, which is making their cars in:
- Japan (double per capita income than South Korea and incredibly well shared wealth), with no FTA whatsoever
- The UK (double per capita income than Czech Republic)
MarkR
Profile for MarkR
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2012 07:54
sadlerau wrote:
I'm shocked to see Hyundai in 1st place, especially over the Golf! Can you give us the reasons the magazine gave for the Hyundai winning the comparison?

One of my co-worker has just moved into an Hyundai i35, not a bad little car, but oh so much cheaper looking and feeling than my CRV.

Yes Sadlerau.

The i30 scored better than the Civic in the following areas:
- Quiter, less road noise
- Better seats
- More headroom for back seat passangers
- Warranties and low service costs (sweden)
- Exterior detailing

Overall comments were that the Civic is a very good car but doesn't excel at anything, is only winner in one section and that is trunk space.

The magazine always also tests consumption compared to manufacturers number. The i30 was 36% more than stated, Civic 16% more and Golf 15% more than factory stated MPG.

FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2012 10:19
MarkR wrote:
Overall comments were that the Civic is a very good car but doesn't excel at anything, is only winner in one section and that is trunk space.

The magazine always also tests consumption compared to manufacturers number. The i30 was 36% more than stated, Civic 16% more and Golf 15% more than factory stated MPG.

What was the original stated MPG of all the cars?
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-22-2012 11:17
I think it is interesting to note that with these 2 cars,
they do a rear suspension flip/flop.

The Hyundai i30 is the one with a multi-link rear and the Honda has the beam axle --the opposite of the Elantra/Civic in USA.

The i30 which will be coming here as the Elantra GT,
got very good brief review from Road & Track.

http://blog.roadandtrack.com/driven-2012-hyundai-i30-2012-hyundai-veloster/

The 2012 Hyundai i30 is seen by the Korean automaker as a “game changer” for the brand as it has been designed and engineered in Europe using the VW Golf as a benchmark for quality and aimed squarely at both that and the Ford Focus.

So, the question has to be asked “Does it live up to those aspirations?” After a morning’s driving with a former colleague, we both came to the same conclusion that it does. It has an intriguing design that is as distinctive as it is contemporary, and is more in line with the Focus/Astra mold than that of the Golf.

The steering is well-weighted with just the right amount of feedback accompanied by a level of ride refinement
that Ford wouldn’t have been ashamed of, thanks mainly to its all-new full independent suspension and multi-link rear set-up.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2012 00:54
Nick Graves wrote:
You sit too high because of the fuel tank & also because short people can drive a Honda too.

Actually, it wasn't about price, he was impressed on the quality of the i30, on the "not rattling" of the steering adjustment he was impressed - someting like - BMW can't, we can't, why can Hyundai.

On the note of costs - in comparison with Hyundai; VW is very active on getting stuff cheaper globally, specially from Chinese production, its their biggest market.

Actually on the IAA he also looked at the Euro Civic and was impressed - some guy said well they had a good role model, then he said no actually Honda was a role model for us.

Things have changed I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1yB8gcLHFg
Restless
Profile for Restless
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2012 09:24
Nick Graves wrote:

Too bad fuel tank also compromises place for foots of those sitting behind :/
FiSH-Chan
Profile for FiSH-Chan
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2012 09:57
Restless wrote:

It's not a problem for me 'sitting behind myself', and certainly not a problem when my wife is driving and I'm sitting behind with my son. Euro Civic may be different though, but I think the fuel tank placement is fine in this setup on my car. It makes the place under the rear seat more space to stow things too. Lower would be nicer, but again not a real problem imo (in fact it's make it slightly easier for me to get in the car seat. I'm 180 +or- cm tall, about 6 foot.)

I'm more worried about the fuel tank catchng fire underneath me for whatever reason to be honest and this thought has come up more often (call me paranoid and I find it weird too but I do think about it every now and then esp. having seen in the news of so many traffic accidents plus my experiences with people crashing into me :( ) of course in other cars it would be the same except for the rear seat passenger
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: EU-Civic scores well in Swedish automagazine    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-23-2012 10:19
FiSH-Chan wrote:
Restless wrote:

It's not a problem for me 'sitting behind myself', and certainly not a problem when my wife is driving and I'm sitting behind with my son. Euro Civic may be different though, but I think the fuel tank placement is fine in this setup on my car. It makes the place under the rear seat more space to stow things too. Lower would be nicer, but again not a real problem imo (in fact it's make it slightly easier for me to get in the car seat. I'm 180 +or- cm tall, about 6 foot.)

I'm more worried about the fuel tank catchng fire underneath me for whatever reason to be honest and this thought has come up more often (call me paranoid and I find it weird too but I do think about it every now and then esp. having seen in the news of so many traffic accidents plus my experiences with people crashing into me :( ) of course in other cars it would be the same except for the rear seat passenger

Just remember the Ford Pinto and you'll feel OK!

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy