[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
New footage of the NSX testing on the Nordschleife
More.......................
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
Today's Reading Links --> Re: New Honda Grace Hybrid to be launched in Japan
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Brazil's HR-V unveiled with R18+CVT (likely same as NA)
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: ASCC based CLX with Acura Sport (Mystery Concept)
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Civic Type R Promo
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura and GaplinAutoSport Sema 2014
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Official TLX I4 0 - 60 test
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Look what just arrived!
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: 2016 RLX MMC?
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: MT COTY Contender: Honda Fit
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Rolled's dream car
Join Discussion......
Accord CrossTour --> Re: its been a year...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX V6 SH-AWD vs Volvo S60 T6
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Future of sports cars
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: Honda Grace (JDM City hybrid) website is up
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: R&T Article on the Current State of F1
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Acura Announces $25,900 Starting Price for 2013 ILX > > Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics!

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author

adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 11:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Seriously, if anyone here really thinks the ILX is worth anywhere near what they're asking for it, then just go out and buy one. At MSRP.

I bet all the blind legion of Honda/Acura defenders here aren't going to bite on the ILX, proving it is totally a flop.

The TSX is SO much better value for $$$, and the new RDX is totally spot on. This ILX, you'll see $3-4k off MSRP before the end of the year plus cheap financing.

Anyone that buys the 2.0 or 1.5 ILX is totally getting fleeced!
JimmyEats
Profile for JimmyEats
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 12:18
You're forgetting that it looks better than the current Civic.
Offers better sound systems.
And is comparable to the 2.0L Honda Civic we asked for repeatedly during the previous generation, but with better performance and fuel economy.

For these reasons I think you can compare it to the EX-L and then add on some features to make it an ILX. So maybe it's really a price justified EX-iLx or some other complicated nomenclature.
Ultima
Profile for Ultima
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 12:26
adrianchew wrote:
Seriously, if anyone here really thinks the ILX is worth anywhere near what they're asking for it, then just go out and buy one. At MSRP.

I bet all the blind legion of Honda/Acura defenders here aren't going to bite on the ILX, proving it is totally a flop.

The TSX is SO much better value for $$$, and the new RDX is totally spot on. This ILX, you'll see $3-4k off MSRP before the end of the year plus cheap financing.

Agreed. Why would anyone buy the 2.4 over the 6spd TSX when they're essentially the same price is beyond me. Looks are subjective but at least you can have navi with the the tsx plus it has double wishbone to boot. Honda's logic at work again.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 12:26
Acura engineers lengthened the car's nose, fitted an aluminum hood and set the windshield farther back to lessen the pronounced cab-forward feel of the Civic, while adding nearly 2 inches to overall length (179.1 inches). In addition, the ILX is 1.6 inches wider (70.6 inches), and its roof line is 1 inch lower, reducing overall height to 55.6 inches. The result is a sedan that wears the current Acura beak more naturally than any other car in the lineup.

So it is bigger too. probably has an Accoustic windshield for quieter ride less wind noise. active dampers, nicer interior by 100 miles, and longer warranty. Not to mention the features it has that civic doesn't: pandora prjectors etc etc.

so in a way honda is asking a fair price considering the yen.
rocky
Profile for rocky
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 12:39
Powered by Honda wrote:
Acura engineers lengthened the car's nose, fitted an aluminum hood and set the windshield farther back to lessen the pronounced cab-forward feel of the Civic, while adding nearly 2 inches to overall length (179.1 inches). In addition, the ILX is 1.6 inches wider (70.6 inches), and its roof line is 1 inch lower, reducing overall height to 55.6 inches. The result is a sedan that wears the current Acura beak more naturally than any other car in the lineup.

So it is bigger too. probably has an Accoustic windshield for quieter ride less wind noise. active dampers, nicer interior by 100 miles, and longer warranty. Not to mention the features it has that civic doesn't: pandora prjectors etc etc.

Whats the Yen got to do with it, its being built in America!
Grace141
Profile for Grace141
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 12:46
The 1990 Civic Si stickered right at $12k whereas the Integra GS was at $16k or so. Didn't stop me from buying the Integra. If the ILX 2.0 base was 133% of the MSRP of the Civic EX sedan it would list at $27,533. I suppose anyone buying a Civic that is more expensive than the DX is also being fleeced.

Has anyone here test driven both the Civic EX sedan and the ILX 2.0? I've driven the Civic and thought it was nice.
adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 13:03
Powered by Honda wrote:
The result is a sedan that wears the current Acura beak more naturally than any other car in the lineup.

active dampers, nicer interior by 100 miles, and longer warranty.

So, are you buying one?

That Acura continues to keep the stupid beak is bad enough, you're making that a selling point? They should lose the beak!

Active dampers? How many times must you people be told that these are NOT active dampers? Damper has two rates, NON adjustable, you can't change the rate on the fly... that's what active dampers do.

The only way these cars can even justify their asking price is if Honda threw in the K24 and a 6-speed automatic. The hybrid is a beyond joke... the CT200h will absolutely demolish the ILX hybrid in every way.

The K24 manual needs its own suspension, the LSD added back, and a technology package option.

So, let's see, K24 is a downgrade from the Civic Si.

And the R20 is a HUGE downgrade from the TSX.

If you want luxury and automatic, buy the TSX. If you want sporty without it being sports neutered, buy the Civic Si. And if you want a hybrid, buy the CT200h.

There is NO reason this ILX should even be made. If they had given the ILX a K24/6AT, then the pricing would have made a lot more sense.
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 13:29
$24,675. That's what a Civic Si costs.

$29,200. That's what an ILX with a 2.4 costs.

That's a difference of $4,525 dollars.

That's the only ILX I'd own, and $4500 bucks is a drop in the bucket at the end of the day for a MUCH nicer car with a shitton more features.

Also, ehh, the CT is 30 grand to begin with (I've seen them for 35+ grand at the dealers) and real world gas mileage for the thing hasn't held up. It's also terrible to drive.

FWIW.

sugaki
Profile for sugaki
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 13:42
Blows my mind how people can defend this crappy car. Honda can rebadge the Pinto and people here would still defend it.

For people saying Acura is more luxurious, it really isn't. Compare an Accord with a TSX, and they're pretty much the same, interior quality wise (leather is better on TSX, that's about it). Heck I think the Accord interior looks better than the TSX. Fake metallic trim--standard across all Acuras--medium-grade plastics. Acura has lagged far behind BMW or especially Audi, and it shows no signs of providing a real luxury car either.

The ILX only has somewhat of a niche because of the dump Honda brass took on the Civic interior quality. Making one of their most important models worse to slot in a pointless "entry-level luxury" car... still counting the days when Ito gets canned.
MasterOfDaDomain
Profile for MasterOfDaDomain
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 13:45
S600=Dream wrote:
$24,675. That's what a Civic Si costs.

$29,200. That's what an ILX with a 2.4 costs.

That's a difference of $4,525 dollars.

That's the only ILX I'd own, and $4500 bucks is a drop in the bucket at the end of the day for a MUCH nicer car with a shitton more features.

Also, ehh, the CT is 30 grand to begin with (I've seen them for 35+ grand at the dealers) and real world gas mileage for the thing hasn't held up. It's also terrible to drive.

FWIW.

The Civic Si you should compare to is $22,555. the one you quoted has Navi. So the actual difference is $6,645. And you won't have the LSD. Nor do you have the summer tires option.

If Honda makes the Civic interior nicer, the ILX's selling point would be even less.

TSX is a better value - and my guess is that it will be gone soon, so that people who want a nicer Acura would have to go for the TL (or whatever it'll be called) and pay a more significant price differential.
hondacura
Profile for hondacura
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 14:13
adrianchew wrote:

People bought the Civic Mugen and it was priced 29K.

TSX is higher in price cause it is built in Europe and shipped over. Do your research.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 14:24
adrianchew wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
The result is a sedan that wears the current Acura beak more naturally than any other car in the lineup.

active dampers, nicer interior by 100 miles, and longer warranty.

So, are you buying one?

That Acura continues to keep the stupid beak is bad enough, you're making that a selling point? They should lose the beak!

Active dampers? How many times must you people be told that these are NOT active dampers? Damper has two rates, NON adjustable, you can't change the rate on the fly... that's what active dampers do.

The only way these cars can even justify their asking price is if Honda threw in the K24 and a 6-speed automatic. The hybrid is a beyond joke... the CT200h will absolutely demolish the ILX hybrid in every way.

The K24 manual needs its own suspension, the LSD added back, and a technology package option.

So, let's see, K24 is a downgrade from the Civic Si.

And the R20 is a HUGE downgrade from the TSX.

If you want luxury and automatic, buy the TSX. If you want sporty without it being sports neutered, buy the Civic Si. And if you want a hybrid, buy the CT200h.

There is NO reason this ILX should even be made. If they had given the ILX a K24/6AT, then the pricing would have made a lot more sense.

NO i'm not buying one. My next car will be probably the new accord coupe ex v6 6MT hopefully with earth dreams. but thats not the issue if i'm buying one or not. BTW The CT200h sux what an Asian chick car that is.

Correction on dampers: 2-STAGE REACTIVE DAMPERS. There happy? Also, Active SOUND cancellation seen on the 60k RL of today.

You can try all you want to convince yourself this is just a civic re-badge to help justify your purchase of the shitty 9th civic but its not.

lets review!

-more high strength steel *someone said this 60% vs 55%* You deserve to survive a crash more if you pay more is the rule I guess?
-HID Projectors
-way better interior
-way better exterior no cheese window treatments *subjective*
-PANDORa
-active noise cancellation system seen in RL!!!
-2 stage dampers, + better bushings.
-acoustic glass
-wider car, longer car
-longer warranty
-more sound deadening. 100lbs heavier
-multi view camera
-sms text
-no keys PUSH TO START! BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW!
-bigger engine 2.0Lvs1.8L
-10 speaker ELS surround sound Premium Audio!!!
-AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting, and AcuraLink Real-Time Weather with radar image maps. *not sure if civic's with navi get this...I know they have bluetooth but not sure what else.
-MOTION ADAPTIVE ELECTRIC POWER STEERING (EPS)

A first use for Acura, as an element of Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) the new Motion-Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) offers a direct feeling and efficient steering performance, together with improved active safety.

finally:
-The Civic’s strut/multilink chassis is improved, with reduced suspension friction, a quicker steering ratio in a stiffened rack.

Luxury is...well the little things that you don't notice but they make your ride better, smoother, more comfortable. All these things add up. Premium audio 10 surround sound is an example of what most people over look as nothing but that small detail makes for a more pleasurable drive. i'm not one of those people who think oh the sound is good enough. puke! I need a nice crisp clean sound system.
dominik331
Profile for dominik331
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 14:38
How many TOVers actually buy Acura cars, oh wait, Acura doesn't make cars they want, so it doesn't matter if it is an overpriced Civic or if the TSX is a better buy.

But to be fair the 2.0 it's nothing to be excited about and it was doomed on this site the minute it was announced.
adrianchew
Profile for adrianchew
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 14:48
Powered by Honda wrote:
NO i'm not buying one. My next car will be probably the new accord coupe ex v6 6MT hopefully with earth dreams. but thats not the issue if i'm buying one or not.

It totally is an issue, if people just talk about the car and NO one buys it, who cares what you get or how you justify the car, no one is gonna buy it then.

At 30k, the mainstream ILX buyer, probably female, is far more likely to end up picking a CR-V EX-L over the R20 ILX. Or a K24 TSX over the R20 ILX. The R20 ILX is a blatant attempt at selling people a crappy powertrain for top dollar in an attempt to max profits.

Heck, I could probably talk them up easily enough into the new RDX even.

Its the mainstream R20 ILX that I think is totally a sad attempt to sell a weak, cheap powertrain on the masses. R18, R20... you get the idea? Its an R-series engine, IE... cheap.

Then again, I even think the Civic EX-L is overpriced... I mean, you're paying for some leather surfaces, but its got a sad R18/5AT combo powering it. Compare that to Si pricing, and you can easily see where Honda is making its profits from... the EX-L is far more profitable.

And those HUGE incentives they're offering on the LX? Yeah, you get an idea of Honda cost cutting ie. how cheaply they can really build these cars... if they didn't make any profit, they wouldn't be churning out the much panned 9th gen Civic in numbers as they are. Sure they might not be making as much a profit, but still, you get the idea.

Oh and to the person that mentioned the Mugen Si... cue that as another overpriced POS that never sold well. Limited production and still had trouble selling them... all show, no go. Should have just brought the FD2R here instead.
Hondarulez
Profile for Hondarulez
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 14:59
adrianchew wrote:
Powered by Honda wrote:
NO i'm not buying one. My next car will be probably the new accord coupe ex v6 6MT hopefully with earth dreams. but thats not the issue if i'm buying one or not.

It totally is an issue, if people just talk about the car and NO one buys it, who cares what you get or how you justify the car, no one is gonna buy it then.

At 30k, the mainstream ILX buyer, probably female, is far more likely to end up picking a CR-V EX-L over the R20 ILX. Or a K24 TSX over the R20 ILX. The R20 ILX is a blatant attempt at selling people a crappy powertrain for top dollar in an attempt to max profits.

Heck, I could probably talk them up easily enough into the new RDX even.

Its the mainstream R20 ILX that I think is totally a sad attempt to sell a weak, cheap powertrain on the masses. R18, R20... you get the idea? Its an R-series engine, IE... cheap.

Then again, I even think the Civic EX-L is overpriced... I mean, you're paying for some leather surfaces, but its got a sad R18/5AT combo powering it. Compare that to Si pricing, and you can easily see where Honda is making its profits from... the EX-L is far more profitable.

And those HUGE incentives they're offering on the LX? Yeah, you get an idea of Honda cost cutting ie. how cheaply they can really build these cars... if they didn't make any profit, they wouldn't be churning out the much panned 9th gen Civic in numbers as they are. Sure they might not be making as much a profit, but still, you get the idea.

Oh and to the person that mentioned the Mugen Si... cue that as another overpriced POS that never sold well. Limited production and still had trouble selling them... all show, no go. Should have just brought the FD2R here instead.

Huh? Just because powered by Honda isn't buying the ILX..it means no one else will buy it? Am I missing something here?
NSXforever
Profile for NSXforever
Re: Enjoy Your Overpriced Civics! [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 04-20-2012 15:06