[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
More.......................
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Commentary: Why are kids and pets still dying in hot cars? It's 2014 already.
ILX --> Re: ILX MMC spied
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX reviews?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: S660
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Acura #2 Least Appealing Luxury Brand
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2014 EX upgrade from 2003 EX-L Navi
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: 12 reasons why I prefer Manuals
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Dealing with phone companies.
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Production
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX spotted in Bel Air, Maryalnd
Join Discussion......
Fit (and Jazz) --> Re: One week with the Fit
Join Discussion......
Amateur Racing & Driving --> Re: How to get started??
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Acura informational TLX Video
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX Nurburgring Prototype caught on fire and burned
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2015 Accord
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > Today's Reading Links > > Re: Subaru BRZ (125hp/L from 7500 RPM? Doubt it)

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1] 2
Author
  Post New Thread
typesean
Profile for typesean
Subaru BRZ sales brisk in Japan    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 18:56
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Since the car debuted Feb. 3, Subaru parent Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. has sold 3,551 of the rear-wheel-drive BRZs, the company said Wednesday in a press release.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120328/CARNEWS/120329834#ixzz1qSHHhcy3
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Subaru BRZ sales brisk in Japan    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 19:28
That's great news. Apparently that is 4x the projected sales.
and the buying demographic is much younger than expected.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Subaru BRZ sales brisk in Japan    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 19:32
Jovian8 wrote:

"Gen-Y to the rescue!"
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 20:26
Neal wrote:
Jovian8 wrote:

"Gen-Y to the rescue!"

Actually, for anyone following the JDM updates I regularly post on TOV, that is really nothing to feel too optimistic about.

I'll try to make it clear in 2 points:
1) Aiming at less than 500 units per month in the first year tells you they really don't expect this car to sell to begin with. That means after a year we are likely to be looking in the 100-200 bracket...; Be reassured we will never find out, because at that sales-level the BR-Z will be bellow the national top-30 which is the only model-specific info in Japan.
2) By JDM standards, achieving initial sales of 4x projections for such a slow selling car is about average, certainly not a flop, but certainly not "brisk".

By comparison, with the so widely TOV-criticized CR-Z (link):
1) Honda was planning to sell more than twice the BR-Z (about 1000/month)
2) On the first month they counted 10 times that figure at over 10k.

All that said, the BR-Z/FT86's real battleground is not in Japan (where there is barely a market for them), but in places like the US. Personally I didn't expect them to sell in any decent numbers in JP (though obviously I might have been wrong, seems I'm not), but that is as irrelevant as it comes when judging the true appeal of this happy couple.

Last edited by danielgr on 03-28-2012 20:29
Midi_Amp
Profile for Midi_Amp
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 21:36
danielgr wrote:
Neal wrote:
Jovian8 wrote:

"Gen-Y to the rescue!"

Actually, for anyone following the JDM updates I regularly post on TOV, that is really nothing to feel too optimistic about.

1) Aiming at less than 500 units per month in the first year tells you they really don't expect this car to sell to begin with. That means after a year we are likely to be looking in the 100-200 bracket...; Be reassured we will never find out, because at that sales-level the BR-Z will be bellow the national top-30 which is the only model-specific info in Japan.
2) By JDM standards, achieving initial sales of 4x projections for such a slow selling car is about average, certainly not a flop, but certainly not "brisk".

All that said, the BR-Z/FT86's real battleground is not in Japan (where there is barely a market for them), but in places like the US. Personally I didn't expect them to sell in any decent numbers in JP (though obviously I might have been wrong, seems I'm not), but that is as irrelevant as it comes when judging the true appeal of this happy couple.

Per the usual euphoria buyer of new products, sales will taper off eventually and like you said Daniel, the BRZ/GT86 battle is outside of Japan. I'm expecting the car as a runaway success in countries like US and Europe where average household have 2 or more cars as I see this car mostly as a second/weekend car.

Call me old, but the allure of a sports car even in my early 30s doesn't appeal that much anymore. Between double job, family and higher degree pursuit, whatever left of my time is just too little to spare on anything outside the comfort of my home.

The BRZ/FR-S/GT86 will sell fine, but between the trio or the CR-Z, I will choose the latter. The only way (in my country at least) I can enjoy a sports car is on the highway which is usually jammed at any given time except after 11PM, then you have the highway patrol. So a burst of acceleration and some spirited over taking is just what I need, in the mean time I can engage the eco mode and enjoy the traffic jam with minimal hit on fuel economy (while listening to my Barry Manilow collection).
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 21:45
A clear win for all enthusiasts! Honda, are you watching?
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 22:31
Midi_Amp wrote:
danielgr wrote:
Neal wrote:
Jovian8 wrote:

"Gen-Y to the rescue!"

Per the usual euphoria buyer of new products, sales will taper off eventually and like you said Daniel, the BRZ/GT86 battle is outside of Japan. I'm expecting the car as a runaway success in countries like US and Europe where average household have 2 or more cars as I see this car mostly as a second/weekend car.

Call me old, but the allure of a sports car even in my early 30s doesn't appeal that much anymore. Between double job, family and higher degree pursuit, whatever left of my time is just too little to spare on anything outside the comfort of my home.

The BRZ/FR-S/GT86 will sell fine, but between the trio or the CR-Z, I will choose the latter. The only way (in my country at least) I can enjoy a sports car is on the highway which is usually jammed at any given time except after 11PM, then you have the highway patrol. So a burst of acceleration and some spirited over taking is just what I need, in the mean time I can engage the eco mode and enjoy the traffic jam with minimal hit on fuel economy (while listening to my Barry Manilow collection).

Dude........Barry Manilow in your early 30's......Shit, I am soon to be 48 and I grew up with the guy and I don't listen to him......Are you OK?......LOL! I jump in my Hybrid Civic and jam to Depech Mode, the Smiths or Aztec Camera..........The Screaming Blue Masihs...........Front 242, OZZY..........But Barry........WOW!
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 22:41
HONDA AFVM wrote:

Dude........Barry Manilow in your early 30's......Shit, I am soon to be 48 and I grew up with the guy and I don't listen to him......Are you OK?......LOL! I jump in my Hybrid Civic and jam to Depech Mode, the Smiths or Aztec Camera..........The Screaming Blue Masihs...........Front 242, OZZY..........But Barry........WOW!

You are soooo 80s.

I listen to Shostakovich. Check out his 2nd Symphony, aka "To October, for the 10th anniversary of the October Revolution".

Perhaps some Frank Zappa? "Dummy Up"?

Roll it on up!
Give me that!...
No no, the college degree is stuffed with absolutely nothing at all.
You get, you get nothing with your college-degree...
But that's what I want!

Seriously, in heavy traffic you don't want Depeche Mode.

DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 22:54
Radiohead, U2, Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam, Beastie Boys, Dr. Dre and Snoop, Ice Cube, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, The Music, anything 80's, The Cure, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Eagles, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Ray Charles...the list goes on...50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.

I just hate Country and anything on current pop radio.
Powered by Honda
Profile for Powered by Honda
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 23:06
Only 6000 BRZ coming to the STATES in 2012! So get ready for dealer price gouges. Be prepared to pay top dollar.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-28-2012 23:35
I can't be bothered to find the link, but I swear they planned 100k across the siblings.
NealX
Profile for NealX
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 00:27
Powered by Honda wrote:
Only 6000 BRZ coming to the STATES in 2012! So get ready for dealer price gouges. Be prepared to pay top dollar.

I saw that somewhere, too. 6,000. But didn't see if that was for each or conbined. But yes, 6,000. Seems low.
WongKN
Profile for WongKN
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 01:00
My favourite song for riding out a traffic jam, from 4 Non Blondes : "What's Up?".

And I shout at the top of my voice,
WHAT'S GOING ON ?!!!

Not the whole song but at least these two sentences ! SHIT, why am I sitting in a huge car park in the middle of what is supposed to be an exressway ? WHAT (THE HELL's) GOING ON ?!!!

LOL !
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 03:30
DCR wrote:
I can't be bothered to find the link, but I swear they planned 100k across the siblings.

Yes that is the target combined, but I think that mark is planned with the help of added STI / performance and roadster versions.

A roadster STI BRZ sounds really like enough music for my ears - ;-)
HONDA AFVM
Profile for HONDA AFVM
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 10:10
TonyE wrote:
HONDA AFVM wrote:

You are soooo 80s.

I listen to Shostakovich. Check out his 2nd Symphony, aka "To October, for the 10th anniversary of the October Revolution".

Perhaps some Frank Zappa? "Dummy Up"?

Roll it on up!
Give me that!...
No no, the college degree is stuffed with absolutely nothing at all.
You get, you get nothing with your college-degree...
But that's what I want!

Seriously, in heavy traffic you don't want Depeche Mode.

Dude, when I am cruising down the Turnpike at 70 mph, and this song or others come on, I am like in a trance...time just moves........

http://vodpod.com/watch/48834-depeche-mode-its-no-good

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmWF1p68nIc

One of my favorite bands........I saw them in concert in the 80's at least 10 times..........

ANYWAY! I am coming to LA looks like mid August........Will you be around.......I want to meet up with you and any other TOV madness in the area........I will be spending one full day at Honda HQ, otherwise it's all play time.......Meeting up with some HS friends that live out there, but I have NO IDEA where to stay in the area, I looked at Hotels, but I don't know where they are in reference to where everyone lives, I need to do more research. I want to be in-between LAX and Torrance.......
Trip
Profile for Trip
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 12:56
Midi_Amp wrote:

I know where you're coming from. I love driving my 89 Prelude but I'm lucky if I get to fire it up once or twice a month. The vehicles that click for me now are "all purpose" vehicles that I can drive day in and day out that meet my family obligations, satisfy my techno geek craving, and when I'm alone, give me some enjoyment to drive at 8/10ths. Not many fit the bill any more.

But, I am glad to see cars like the BRZ are available even though I can't buy them. Their popularity should help keep the enthusiast crowd happy. ANd if the cars are successful enough, eventually greedy marketing peeps and bean counters will say, "Hey . . . you think we can sell more of these if we offered it in 4 doors?" :-/
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Subaru BRZ shows average early sales in JP    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-29-2012 13:18
Trip wrote:
The vehicles that click for me now are "all purpose" vehicles that I can drive day in and day out that meet my family obligations, satisfy my techno geek craving, and when I'm alone, give me some enjoyment to drive at 8/10ths. Not many fit the bill any more.