[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
Honda HR-V Compact SUV to Join All-New 2015 Fit as Honda Expands Small Car Lineup
More.......................
Some thoughts, photos, and notes on the 2015 Acura TLX from the NYIAS show floor
2015 Acura TLX Unveiled at the 2014 New York International Auto Show
Video: TOV member catches a TLX prototype on dashcam!
All New 2015 Honda Fit Designed to Top the Subcompact Class
Honda set to show interesting new Concept at Beijing International Automotive Exhibition
'HR-V' name confirmed for upcoming Fit-based 'urban sport utility'
American Honda Announces Sales Results for March 2014
General Talk --> Re: Honda set for a rocky road ahead in Europe
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Beijing Auto Show updates...
Join Discussion......
Prelude --> Re: 2016 Honda Prelude for the American Market?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Remote Windows-Open Feature
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: 2016 RDX Upgrade Predictions
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Crosstour's next-generation enemy: 2015 Subaru Outback
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: USA Today article about Acura
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Push button start SUCKS
Join Discussion......
HondaMobilia --> Re: Tenshodo RA273 Engine
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Place your bets-TLX. Fit, HR-V sales
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: The Mustang at 50
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: MK7 Golf Wagon
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Carscoop: Honda to Detail, But Won't Show New Compact SUV Based on JDM Vezel in New York
Join Discussion......
Civic --> slightly tweaked 2014 Euro Civic hatch
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: TLX details
Join Discussion......
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
Read Article....................
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid
TOV Video: 2015 Acura TLX design Overview by Jared Hall
PR Photo Gallery: 2014 Acura RLX Sport Hybrid
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Civic Type R Prototype

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > 2013 ILX pricing to start at around $27k, hybrid and 2.4 models at $30k > > Re: A point or 4...

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2012 19:32
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
1. At 27K, there is nothing else in the proper near luxury market that competes with this car, and all the kids will love the gadgets. No, VW's don't really count any more, if you ask me.

2. HondAcura has said it's focused on making something with lots of appeal to folks from the iGeneration, so this should do well with them. When one is going to buy a car, the LAST thing the sales guy brings up is how much horsepower the thing makes. They bring up features, and the ILX has tons of them for the money, and it *is* a luxury branded car. You guys might not think that so much because you're so in the kool-aid about the car world, but the general consumer still thinks Acura makes a nice car.

2. It's clean looking, if not totally stunning. That's fine, because some people appreciate toned down styling. Speaking of which...

3. China. China will buy a boatload of these things. They like features, they like clean styling, they'll appreciate the price, and they will buy a metric shitton of them. Watch. And they'll be exported there! America--f*ck yeah!

4. You guys are such whiners!!

VTECRacer
Profile for VTECRacer
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2012 19:52
In reference to #4, welcome to The Temple of VTEC.

Agree with everything you said.
carzak
Profile for carzak
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2012 21:46
At 27K, there is nothing else in the proper near luxury market that competes with this car.

The Buick Regal is a serious competitor at $27k and is more car. The Verano is more a match in size, but undercuts the ILX by 5 grand. The main advantage the ILX has over these two is mileage, but it has smaller, weaker engines (excepting the 2.4L).

You can get a loaded Focus with navigation, sport package, leather and things Acura doesn't even have like rain-sensing wipers and parking assist for under $26k. Plus more power and better rated mileage.

The Lexus CT competes with the hybrid.

So, it definitely has competition, even ignoring VWs.
carzak
Profile for carzak
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2012 21:54
Forgot the Audi A3, with its base 200 hp turbo for $27-29k.
S600=Dream
Profile for S600=Dream
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-19-2012 21:56
carzak wrote:
At 27K, there is nothing else in the proper near luxury market that competes with this car.

The Buick Regal is a serious competitor at $27k and is more car. The Verano is more a match in size, but undercuts the ILX by 5 grand. The main advantage the ILX has over these two is mileage, but it has smaller, weaker engines (excepting the 2.4L).

You can get a loaded Focus with navigation, sport package, leather and things Acura doesn't even have like rain-sensing wipers and parking assist for under $26k. Plus more power and better rated mileage.

The Lexus CT competes with the hybrid.

So, it definitely has competition, even ignoring VWs.

Gotta remember, the mouth breathing general public still thinks a Ford is a Ford even if it's got fun little gewgaws. It may be a better car, even (with the transmission/reliability issues Ford is having with that new Focus, I don't really think it's worth buying) but it's still just a Ford.

Also, they still think a Buick is a Buick. Ask anyone what they think about Buick who isn't a car enthusiast. Ask if they'd ever buy one if they could have a Buick or an Acura.

People are dumb and look at brand names, and Acura *is* still a luxury brand. Buick is an old people's brand. *I* know that the new Buicks are now basically rebadged Euro sports sedans who can basically run with anything near their price and are pretty good cars, but little Sally who just graduated from college and got that swank job making 60 grand a year and can afford a new luxury car still thinks Buicks are old peoples cars, and probably thinks Acuras are cool.

Straight up, and there's almost nothing GM can do to change that, even if the cars are literally nothing like they used to be.

The CT costs 38 grand after taxes at dealers. The options on those things add up quick! I know, because I went and looked at one!

I think the ILX is in a good place.

I think the ILX is in a good place to

Ganplosive
Profile for Ganplosive
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 01:39
Point #3 China

I dunno, China recently just dropped the hammer on import sales, and are actively trying to shut down auto sales in many of its major metropolises, IF the ILX gets brought there, I don't think it will do too well because:

1. Chinese people love their cars big, long, and expensive. Most luxury cars on the road are extended versions of big sedans like the 5 / 7, A6 / 8, E / S classes. In terms of Japanese lux, I see very little IS's, and mostly LS's.

2. The price for this ILX will be close to 50k USD accounting for tax and import, which will be wayy too expensive for the up and coming generation. The target demographic this car is going after in China are driving mostly Altima's, Camry's, or Accords. To a lesser extent, they're driving Honda City's and Fits, so I see this being a really tough sell in China (as opposed to the ZDX, which is big flashy bold and expensive for the sake of being expensive)

I generally agree on the other points however, I myself am very interested in the 2.4 for a family member hahah except the LSD part...
A77
Profile for A77
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-20-2012 10:28
You may be right about public perception but that can fade. the Regal and Verano have a more luxurious ambience, esp the Regal, than the ILX - having sat in all of them Sunday. Still, they're only Buicks. An up spec focus is nicer IMHO inside too and has more tech. Still, its a Ford. Even the Elantra is not that much worse (good thing it is such a crappy drive). the GLi is nicer. And it isnt a crappy drive. Still its a VW.

public perception can only last so long. TSX is way better (and feels much bigger) inside than the ILX. Where's the progress? Ok it's not a TSX replacement? Then it needs to be cheaper than the TSX by a good enough margin - and I am not sure this is the case.
DrWhiner
Profile for DrWhiner
Re: A point or 4... [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-21-2012 02:05
carzak wrote:

The Buicks are heavy, Verano starts from 3,300 lb. IIRC.

Regal weighs at least 3,600 lb. with F.E. est. 19/31, not likely to compete directly with ILX.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy