[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Honda to modify 12,000 redesigned Fits sold in US
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Where are the sport hybrids???
Join Discussion......
CR-Z --> Re: CR-Z Supercharger
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: 2013 Accord EX-L V6 mileage. Thought I would share.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Competition heating up
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Sport vs. Civic Hybrid.....thoughts...
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Wife and I test drove a TLX 4cyl with Tech pkg.
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driven 6cylinder Advanced.
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Valid reason for an ILX Type-S 2.0t/SH-AWD
Join Discussion......
Strictly Technical --> Re: N22B
Join Discussion......
Pilot --> Re: Pilot Spy Shots
Join Discussion......
IMA/Hybrids --> Civic Hybrid vs. Accord Sport - thoughts...
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX production
Join Discussion......
Photoshops --> Re: Hell Wombat
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > General Talk > > Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
superchg
Profile for superchg
Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-11-2012 23:58
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Now that we have many airbags to protect us inside our cars, Volvo has come up with an airbag for the hapless pedestrian that jumps out in front of our moving car...

"Volvo Car Corp. showed a five-door hatchback this week in Geneva featuring the world's first pedestrian air bag. The Swedish carmaker is counting on such innovations to burnish its safety image and help double sales.

The V40, Volvo's first model designed under owner Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. of China, has an air bag that ejects from the hood to protect pedestrians from injury. It also has a backswept headlight and panoramic glass roof to give it a sporty look."

superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 00:14

Now that we have many airbags to protect us inside our cars, Volvo has come up with an airbag for the hapless pedestrian that jumps out in front of our moving car...

"Volvo Car Corp. showed a five-door hatchback this week in Geneva featuring the world's first pedestrian air bag. The Swedish carmaker is counting on such innovations to burnish its safety image and help double sales.

The V40, Volvo's first model designed under owner Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co. of China, has an air bag that ejects from the hood to protect pedestrians from injury. It also has a backswept headlight and panoramic glass roof to give it a sporty look."

"The five-door seater will have front bumper sensors that will register any physical contact between the car and a pedestrian. If any contact is sensed, a section on the front bumper (closet to the windshield) will be released, deploying an airbag that covers the entire front end."

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 10:26
superchg .. that is really sad. No common sense anymore.
Unfortunately there is more to come!

330R
Profile for 330R
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 11:36
I've been waiting for this one. Thanks Volvo...

Now, can we please get our low cowls back?
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 15:28
Have you also noticed how many Honda & Toyota prototypes now suddenly have slender pillars you can see round?

Either they've all adopted SAABs exploding inflatable pillars, or all this Armoured personnel carrier shit was a mere stylist's gag.

Maybe we can have low cowls and anti-Darwin devices too!

siegen
Profile for siegen
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 15:49
Jovian8 wrote:

Awesome! Except it needs to be full-bodied. Like a Michelin Man Suit!
carzak
Profile for carzak
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 16:05
I might take one of these and an extra one on the bumper if I lived in a deer-heavy area. But, only to protect the car from being damaged.
Colin
Profile for Colin
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 19:43
Nick Graves wrote:
Have you also noticed how many Honda & Toyota prototypes now suddenly have slender pillars you can see round?

I think it's the switch to boron steel. Also, it seems like they've 'turned' the A pillar so that from the driver's perspective it appears thinner.
CR-V9
Profile for CR-V9
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-12-2012 23:22
I didn't know.

http://world.honda.com/motorcycle-picturebook/Airbag/

Another one.

Another one. I like this one.
atomiclightbulb
Profile for atomiclightbulb
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2012 18:17
Since when is a private company's innovation equivalent to "Big Brother"?
Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2012 21:06
because airbags originally 'pushed' by govt...
superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2012 22:03
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Since when is a private company's innovation equivalent to "Big Brother"?

Atomic, perhaps you weren't aware of this?

Big Brother, of course being the government and Volvo's pedestrian air bag being one possible approach leading to fewer of these injuries and fatalities.

"In Europe & Japan, new legislation will come
into effect from autumn 2005, which aims to
reduce the number of pedestrian fatalities and
serious injuries .
These pedestrian protection legal requirements are a
new challenge for the automotive industry, deeply
influencing front end styling, package, design & the
complete development process. In the pedestrian
tests for Type Approval, free-flying head, upper &
lower leg impactors will be propelled aginst the
vehicle front end. The vehicle must absorb these
low impact energies by means of a “pedestrianfriendly soft nose”, to ensure acceptable injury
values. The size & shape of the pedestrian
protection test impact areas are largely determined
by the exterior styling theme.

Major changes to current vehicle fronts are
required to satisfy the proposed (and differing)
legal requirements in Europe, Japan and possibly
other countries, as well as to achieve a good Euro
NCAP pedestrian rating. The aim of the legislation
is to further improve pedestrian protection."
atomiclightbulb
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2012 22:13
Jovian8 wrote:
because airbags originally 'pushed' by govt...

Irrelevant.

This is a feature thought up by a private sector company to make the car more appealing to customers. The article specifically says: "The Swedish carmaker is counting on such innovations to burnish its safety image and help double sales."

The U.S. government has had minimum crash safety standards for years. Does this make Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure equivalent "Big Brother"?

Tell me, how is the ACE Body Structure even remotely related to a fictional totalitarian regime that videotapes every citizen in order to crush any type of political dissent or free thought?

I swear this forum gets dumber with each passing year.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-13-2012 23:07
atomiclightbulb wrote:
Does this make Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) Body Structure equivalent "Big Brother"?

I swear this forum gets dumber with each passing year.

This title as I stated it has to do with government intervening in people's personal lives, sometimes for good, sometimes not so good.

It seems like that was pretty obvious to all others who have commented, except for yourself.

atomiclightbulb
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 07:17
superchg2 wrote:
This title as I stated it has

Then you don't understand the concept of "Big Brother".

George Orwell's "Big Brother" from 1984 stands for a totalitarian regime that uses surveillance and propaganda to keep itself in power.

This is far different from safety standards meant to benefit citizens. Safety standards do not keep governments in power.
superchg2
Profile for superchg2
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 07:54
Now you are telling me what to think? Sounds pretty totalitarian of you.

"Totalitarian regimes stay in political power through an all-encompassing propaganda campaign, which is disseminated through the state-controlled mass media, a single party that is often marked by political repression, personality cultism, control over the economy, regulation and restriction of speech,"
Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 17:06
Colin wrote:
Nick Graves wrote:

I think it's the switch to boron steel. Also, it seems like they've 'turned' the A pillar so that from the driver's perspective it appears thinner.

The boron steel is a good one - although it's already difficult for rescue services to cut through cars due to that stuff as it is!

The A-pillar thing was used by ERF trucks back in the mid-70s! They had an SMC-skinned steel-framed cab that was massively strong. And had massive pillars, yet good visibility.

Maybe they've also learned to package those confounded curtain air bags less like a whore's boudoir too.
atomiclightbulb
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 18:08
superchg2 wrote:
Now you are telling me what to think? Sounds pretty totalitarian of you.

I can tell you whatever I want. If you can't take the criticism that's not my problem.

(1) You should post links to your articles as a courtesy to the rest of us. I have no idea where you get your information. Also, blatant "copy and paste" without attribution has been frowned upon by moderators in the past.

(2) I see no indication from anything you posted that this airbag system is a direct result of the 2005 Euro NCAP crash standards. I note that new European vehicles like the Honda Civic do not need this kind of airbag to comply with EU safety standards.

Unless you can prove otherwise, Volvo's product is a private sector innovation designed to make the car more appealing to consumers. This is exactly what was written in the materials YOU posted. This is not the result of some government mandate.

(3) I am not a government entity. I can't stop you from posting here or speaking your mind, nor do I wish to do so. However, that doesn't mean you get a free pass from me or anyone else who wants to contest your ideas. I've the same right as you to air my views, and in this case, my opinion is that you really have no idea what "Big Brother" really means.

Talk to anyone from the former USSR or Eastern Europe. They'll tell you about the government surveillance, the neighbors you couldn't trust, the government propaganda. To suggest that safety standards in consumer products is equivalent to "Big Brother" is ridiculous.

Totalitarian tactics exist only to perpetuate the power of a dictator or oligarchy. Product safety standards exist to ensure that the common citizen doesn't unwittingly purchase a product that could kill them needlessly.
eneka
Profile for eneka
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 18:52
on the topic of pedestrian safety, I found this quite interesting.

The marker light – targeted illumination helps to gain time.
Today, it is technically possible to identify the position of pedestrians very accurately. Once this position is known, a headlight can focus on that area and show directly where a potentially endangered pedestrian is. BMW calls this system Dynamic Light Spot. The major difference compared to other marker light assistants is that the BMW system projects a strip of light onto the road to direct the attention of the driver to the hazard. The light automatically draws the attention of the driver to the possible collision object and thus triggers an intuitive and fast reaction.

Jovian8
Profile for Jovian8
Re: Big Brother is watching out for everybody    (Score: 1, Normal) 03-14-2012 19:19
of course the next step to totally-safe cars is the 'robocar' self-driving appliance. Coming soon!

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/11/the-future-of-robotic-self-driving-cars/

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy