[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
More.......................
NSX prototype smolders at the 'Ring
2016 NSX Spied at the 'Ring, Part II
Production 2016 Acura NSX caught testing at the 'Ring!
2015 CR-V MMC info, with color list. CVT confirmed
2015 TLX Pricing info released over the holiday weekend
American Honda Reports June 2014 Sales
This is probably the very first look at the 2016 Pilot. Spied by a TOV member in So Cal.
General Talk --> Re: Acura future look hints
Join Discussion......
TOV Asia --> Re: JP gets 1.5L Insight + 5/7 seater Hybrid Minivan - 10/27 release
Join Discussion......
S2000 --> Re: Th S2000 is a GO!
Join Discussion......
HR-V/Vezel --> Re: Euro HR-V Debut
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: CTR coming!!!
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Re: 2014 Accord EX speakers
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Any driver reviews of the '14 Civic EX sedan?
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: If Acura lowered the RLX price tag
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: My test-drive in 2.4 TLX Base
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Inverview with Acura's Design Chief
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX Interior Question
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New XC90 - whadda u think?
Join Discussion......
CR-V --> Re: 2 months until 2015 MMC?
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: New Passat 2.0 diesel
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
TOV Forums > TSX > > Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews

Go to:

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author
  Post New Thread
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2011 06:44
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
MotorTrend
Given that the Special Edition occupies a trim level only one step above the base model, and that it gives buyers a handful of features otherwise unavailable on the garden variety car, one could argue the TSX isn't special enough. One might ask, Where's the extra power? How about a slight suspension tweak? Couldn't they give it bigger wheels? One might even suggest renaming it Anniversary Edition. Still, like one of those caffeine-filled libations at your local coffeehouse, the Acura TSX Special Edition maintains its status as a solid selection among a growing pool of European and domestic competition. Is it the best? We'll tell you after we corral them in one place and put them to the test.

superchg
Profile for superchg
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2011 08:47
This gives one the opportunity to put the new Civic Si in it's best possible light,
since it has this same basic powertrain, but weighs 500 lbs. less!

JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-30-2011 18:34
TSX69 wrote:
MotorTrend
Given that the Special Edition occupies a trim level only one step above the base model, and that it gives buyers a handful of features otherwise unavailable on the garden variety car, one could argue the TSX isn't special enough. One might ask, Where's the extra power? How about a slight suspension tweak? Couldn't they give it bigger wheels? One might even suggest renaming it Anniversary Edition. Still, like one of those caffeine-filled libations at your local coffeehouse, the Acura TSX Special Edition maintains its status as a solid selection among a growing pool of European and domestic competition. Is it the best? We'll tell you after we corral them in one place and put them to the test.

I was hoping we'd get the US version of the Accord Type-S. I drove one in Japan with the 180hp i-DTEC engine a few weeks ago. I didn't care for the engine much, but I really liked the Type-S' interior, steering and chassis. I still dream of that chassis coupled to a high revving ~250hp 4-cyl with an LSD.

I'd gladly take a 6-cylinder with that output if it didn't ruin the car's balance like the 3.5 does.
Fan Koni
Profile for Fan Koni
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-02-2012 05:52
Maybe it will get an agressiv new "earth dreams" 2.4 engine in its final year, a nice type R revival...

Would be a really nice car.
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-04-2012 21:20
WindingRoad
VS: BMW 328i

We’ll be honest, the all-new 3er is a tough matchup for the plucky TSX. The 328i’s turbo four is a better powerplant in every respect (power, fuel economy, sound), its handling more subtle and competent, and its luxury features a bit richer and laden with technology. Still, the Acura is good in its own right, and thousands cheaper. And, until we have a chance to drive a 6MT-equipped 328i (our experience has been auto-only as of this writing), we’ll assume the TSX’s gearbox is better.

VS: Lexus IS250

The IS250 may have an extra two-cylinders and 100cc on the TSX, but with only 3 more horsepower it never feels a good deal quicker. Rear-drive handling is smoother than Acura’s front-drive setup, but the rest of the involvement equation favors the TSX, hugely. Where the IS is ultra detached from the feeling of the road, and supremely light in steering effort, the TSX is more connected and a bit more weighty. That the Lexus starts at about $5K more than the Acura doesn’t help much, either.
danielgr
Profile for danielgr
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2012 03:28
Fan Koni wrote:
Maybe it will get an agressiv new "earth dreams" 2.4 engine in its final year, a nice type R revival...

Would be a really nice car.

don't know if you realize that putting"earth dreams" and "typeR" in the same sentence doesn't make much sense unless you are about to make an antagony.

Keep writing/thinking such stuff and you'll set yourself for pure disappointment when the earth-stuff comes. I can see it already ... The typical TOV endless rant based on their very own mindless predictions and groundless expectations..
99SI
Profile for 99SI
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 01-05-2012 07:54
Wow. BMW has stepped up their game. The 328i is like having your cake and eating it too. I will reserve final judgement until a test drive but the 2L Turbo combined with BMW handling makes even the entry level 3 series a good performance value with an all around balance. It is also nice that you can actually get something with a 6MT and some guts.
nowakj66
Profile for nowakj66
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-17-2012 09:22
Jeff - what are your thoughts on the TSX SE you are driving?
gofast182
Profile for gofast182
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 08:03
Unless it's a MT I don't know how anyone's thoughts can be much different than driving a regular TSX. It's not like it has special shocks, different tires, or a boost in power. When I got my '12 TSX in December the dealer was trying to sell the SE hard and while I liked the exterior I didn't care for the interior; since it was just visual stuff that was the difference I went with the 'regular' car since my wife wouldn't have OK'd it with a MT anyway.
JeffX
Profile for JeffX
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 13:54
nowakj66 wrote:
Jeff - what are your thoughts on the TSX SE you are driving?

I liked it but the only thing that's an improvement to me vs. the base TSX is the upholstery. The body kit is okay but without more power or even an improved suspension it seems pretty superfluous.
s2ktaxi
Profile for s2ktaxi
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 02-20-2012 17:17
Jeff wrote:

I liked it but the only thing that's an improvement to me vs. the base TSX is the upholstery. The body kit is okay but without more power or even an improved suspension it seems pretty superfluous.

Or at least an LSD
Farage1
Profile for Farage1
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-09-2012 19:20

New addition to the family. It is very nice but I still like mine more :)
98EX4cyl
Profile for 98EX4cyl
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2012 00:18
Nice! Wow another TSX sale on TOV. I really hope Acura does a 3rd Gen so I can get one when I'm due for another car.
CivicB18
Profile for CivicB18
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2012 00:46
99SI wrote:
Wow. BMW has stepped up their game. The 328i is like having your cake and eating it too. I will reserve final judgement until a test drive but the 2L Turbo combined with BMW handling makes even the entry level 3 series a good performance value with an all around balance. It is also nice that you can actually get something with a 6MT and some guts.

I haven't driven a new 328 yet but I have sampled a new 528 automatic sans sport package. While I didn't care for the car itself the BMW 2.0 turbo moved the big heavy 5 with ease. Great low end and passing power while still pulling pretty decent on the top end. It's pretty much the Twin Power Turbo I6 lil' brother.

In regards to the TSX, it is a MUCH less expensive car vs the 328i however the extra all around performance, available features and handling the Bimmer provides justifies (to me) the extra cost. In this case, when you spend more you're actually getting more. If only Acura had a good FR platform they could wile the floor with BMW while still retaining the reliability and low cost of ownership.

~Patrick

P.S. Keep an eye on the new Cadillac ATS as it looks to be quite a package.
TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2012 20:32
TSX69 wrote:
WindingRoad

We’ll be honest, the all-new 3er is a tough matchup for the plucky TSX. The 328i’s turbo four is a better powerplant in every respect (power, fuel economy, sound), its handling more subtle and competent, and its luxury features a bit richer and laden with technology. Still, the Acura is good in its own right, and thousands cheaper. And, until we have a chance to drive a 6MT-equipped 328i (our experience has been auto-only as of this writing), we’ll assume the TSX’s gearbox is better.

The IS250 may have an extra two-cylinders and 100cc on the TSX, but with only 3 more horsepower it never feels a good deal quicker. Rear-drive handling is smoother than Acura’s front-drive setup, but the rest of the involvement equation favors the TSX, hugely. Where the IS is ultra detached from the feeling of the road, and supremely light in steering effort, the TSX is more connected and a bit more weighty. That the Lexus starts at about $5K more than the Acura doesn’t help much, either.

Err... power and economy.... they sound exclusive to me...

What will happen to the economy when the throttle is opened to let the engine spool up and kick in the turbo?

I think that such small turbo cars do great in the EPA tests because they run lightly loaded, with relatively wide opened throttles and low pumping losses. So long as the rpm is kept low enough to keep the turbo quiet, such a small engine runs in its most efficient mode.

A larger engine running on part throttle will be less efficient.

However, in the real world, when you really want the power then the turbo kicks in, and more air and fuel are sucked in.

What is the real mileage on that motor, huh?
THX17201
Profile for THX17201
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 07-10-2012 21:18
TonyE wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
WindingRoad

Err... power and economy.... they sound exclusive to me...

What will happen to the economy when the throttle is opened to let the engine spool up and kick in the turbo?

I think that such small turbo cars do great in the EPA tests because they run lightly loaded, with relatively wide opened throttles and low pumping losses. So long as the rpm is kept low enough to keep the turbo quiet, such a small engine runs in its most efficient mode.

A larger engine running on part throttle will be less efficient.

However, in the real world, when you really want the power then the turbo kicks in, and more air and fuel are sucked in.

What is the real mileage on that motor, huh?

What is the real mileage on any motor when it's driven hard? Seems like 6 of one or 1/2 of a dozen...
cantilo
Profile for cantilo
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 08-13-2012 17:54
Jeff wrote:
TSX69 wrote:
MotorTrend

I was hoping we'd get the US version of the Accord Type-S. I drove one in Japan with the 180hp i-DTEC engine a few weeks ago. I didn't care for the engine much, but I really liked the Type-S' interior, steering and chassis. I still dream of that chassis coupled to a high revving ~250hp 4-cyl with an LSD.

I'd gladly take a 6-cylinder with that output if it didn't ruin the car's balance like the 3.5 does.

Hi Jeff - tell me more on this:
"I'd gladly take a 6-cylinder with that output if it didn't ruin the car's balance like the 3.5 does"
what do you mean?

I ask because I own a 2011 model, beautiful car. My few gripes: somewhat restricted motor, the auto transmission, and the breaks - they're OK.
IMO - the Honda 6speed manual gearbox would have perfect for this motor output.
I'm just curious on your opinion of the v6 tsx overall. THX!
TSX69
Profile for TSX69
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2012 14:07
DigitalTrends
When it comes down to it, the 2012 Acura TSX is a four-star vehicle living in a five-star world. Overall it’s a very solid choice for people wanting to enter the luxury sphere, but not exactly enamored or impressed with the power and prestige on offer from some of the more established brands like BMW, Audi, and Mercedes-Benz. At the same time, the 2012 TSX exhibits a calm, distinguished ride character all of its own, and possesses one of the most buttery smooth and forgiving clutches we have ever dealt with – period.

Ultimately it comes down to what you value most. If you value your tech and smart features, and want them done right, the TSX has trouble delivering. While we certainly appreciate the amount of standard features packed in, the exclusion of navigation, the convoluted button layout, and the glitchy Bluetooth streaming system remind us that Acura still has a ways to go before it can truly be mentioned in the same breath as Lexus, Infiniti, and the like. However, if an upscale Honda, with improved driving dynamics, more comfort, and increased social recognition is what you’re after then we see no reason why you shouldn’t seriously consider the 2012 Acura TSX.

TonyEX
Profile for TonyEX
Re: 2012 Acura TSX SE Reviews    (Score: 1, Normal) 09-13-2012 16:46
Well... if you value a car for its doodahs and have tin ears it sounds right to me.

4/5ths of the reason we popped for the TSX is, simply put, its stereo.

However these morons missed out on the stereo, they chose to drive the MT car.. and then they compare it with BMW, Lexus, Audi... etc... all cars that cost a ton more. Why didn't they move to the AT car with Tech? It would still cost tens of thousands less than the competition.

But, that's OK, because they likely were have still used the Bluetooth connection to play 128KB MP3s from the iPhone so they would have NEVER understood ELS.

If, OTOH, they had bothered to make a nice recording of an LP into a CD-R or even hooked up their iPod with Red Book WAV files, they might be playing a very different tune. They might have parked the car, noticed how there is a center speaker that provides real soundstaging and how the sound is full without ever getting harsh or boomy.

All I know is this, the first time The Absolute Sound (TAS) "tested" the ELS in the 04 TL, they parked the car and listened to their own recordings. They gave the car a backhanded complement at the end of the review: "Oh, nice car too".

TAS did say that on commercial CDs and matched the Levinson in the Lexus, but on DVD-As it blew everything. Now, I never did buy the DVD-A mastering software, but I use my iPod to store 16/44.1 WAV files, and I can tell you that it sounds awesome.

But, they are "Digital Trends"... which describes exactly what they are.

Even non audiophiles agree..

http://www.edmunds.com/car-technology/car-audio/high-end-stock-stereo-sound-off.html

Thread Page - [1]
Go to:
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0