[home][rumors and news][model release matrix][dealer network][desktop calendar][exhaust notes][tov forums][links][search][sponsors][garage][login]

Tire Rack Upgrade Garage
 Search for a Dealer:
 Canadian Flag US Flag
 Honda Acura
 ZIP  
2016 ILX and 2015 HR-V to debut at 2014 Los Angeles Auto Show
More.......................
New Acura and Honda Products Fuel Surge in September Automobile Sales
2015 CR-V goes on sale tomorrow. Full details released.
All-new Honda Civic Type R: unrivalled against the brand's iconic performance flagship models
Honda reveals 2015 CR-V
Honda adds Special Edition trim level to 2015 Civic Lineup
Honda releases sales figures for August 2014
2015 Accord goes on sale today, "Gets Multiple Feature Upgrades"
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX SH-AWD Quick Review
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: Tesla P85D: AWD, 0-60 in 3.2 seconds
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: Driving 2015 SH-AWD TLX this week
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Big Year for HondaUK in 2015! Euro CR-V
Join Discussion......
Today's Reading Links --> Re: More TLX reviews, Edmunds (V6), Motortrend (I4)
Join Discussion......
RLX --> Re: Acura RLX Reviews
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord LX or Sport - Canada
Join Discussion......
Civic --> Re: Most recent pictures of my CNG Civic
Join Discussion......
General Talk --> Re: Diesels bad?
Join Discussion......
RDX --> Re: AWD in RDX/2015 and Forester/2015
Join Discussion......
TLX --> Re: TLX(CLX)Coupe
Join Discussion......
Professional Motorsports --> Re: F1 rumors-Drivers
Join Discussion......
NSX --> Re: NSX new info!!!
Join Discussion......
Accord --> Re: Accord Euro - Axed
Join Discussion......
Audio & Electronics --> Adding backup camera to 09 TSX
Join Discussion......
TOV First Drive: 2015 Acura TLX
Read Article....................
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 2.4 P-AWS
Photo Gallery: 2015 Acura TLX 3.5L SH-AWD
TOV Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
PR Photo Gallery: 2015 Honda Fit
TOV Dyno Test: 2014 Accord Hybrid

[fancy] [flat] [simple]
  TOV News > Honda Announces Revolutionary Next-generation “Earth Dreams Technology” > > Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior.

Viewing Threshold (What is this?)

Thread Page - [1]
Author

fatbloke
Profile for fatbloke
Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 08:35
Reply to This Message Attach Quote to Reply
Sorry to go off topic a bit here but Auto Express UK have just tested a Japanese market CRV and liked the interior apart from the hard plastic on the upper dash. They seem to have been told that this will be replaced with a quality soft touch upper dash for Europe. I know in Europe we tend to expect this kind of thing, but if the USA is the biggest market for the CRV surely you'll get the better dash too. But going by the latest civic maybe not. I live just down the road from Swindon which i believe supplies all the CR V's for Europe, so maybe this is the only place the better dash will be made. I find this very strange. Anybody know what dash the US CRV has yet?
NorCalSales
Profile for NorCalSales
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 10:23
The current CRV has a hard plastic dash and it was a comment early on until it sold better than anything in it's class then people kinda stopped talking about it. In fact the current CRV (soon to be last gen) is partly to blame for the Civic, it is full of hard plastics and it positively killed it.
DCR
Profile for DCR
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 10:50
It is all in the execution.

I didn't really even realize my 2010 CR-V was entirely hard plastic until the comparisons between it and the 9th Gen started to happen. It is amazing how the proper use of geometry, patterns and color can draw the eye to important things and away from less desirable aspects.

Nick GravesX
Profile for Nick GravesX
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 11:37
It's happening all over, now.

I only realised recently (11 years on!) that it was the clever use of soft plastics on the EK4's dash & upper doors (the rest is hard and has lost some of its mattness with regular cleaning) that made it look so subtly classy.

Recent models (not just Honda) have the whole lot moulded from hard stuff with a very van-like texture. Even the fake CF in the 1st Gen GD Jazz looked better than the GG 2nd Gen.
vtiman
Profile for vtiman
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 12:56
i am also in the uk. the latest civic has generally had good reviews apart from what car but they seem to have a thing about honda although they do rate the crv and crz.

autocar this week said that the interior of the civic was high quality and that the car exuded a premium feel and had a comfortable ride and very quiet and smooth diesel engine.

not quite as quick as you might think but well under 9 secs to 6o and over 13o top end so not too shabby for a car that achieves up to almost 55 mpg us combined. think long gearing must be part of the reason ! mid range is where diesels excel, overtaking is very painless in my accord tourer ctdi.

i will definitely be testing the crv and civic and new 1.6 idtec when it is out. as i have a van also i may consider changing for the new crz icf mugen. might be an idea for honda to make a +2 crz with more rear space as they dont plan a 3 dr civic.

if honda sold a freed here i might have that as my van but for now i have a citroen with only 67 hp which brings a whole new meaning to the word slow !

a jazz / fit shuttle with 4wd and the new 1.6 diesel in standard and ho outputs would be very tempting too !! or with the icf !!!!
fatbloke
Profile for fatbloke
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 13:33
vtiman wrote:
i am also in the uk. the latest civic has generally had good reviews apart from what car but they seem to have a thing about honda although they do rate the crv and crz.

autocar this week said that the interior of the civic was high quality and that the car exuded a premium feel and had a comfortable ride and very quiet and smooth diesel engine.

not quite as quick as you might think but well under 9 secs to 6o and over 13o top end so not too shabby for a car that achieves up to almost 55 mpg us combined. think long gearing must be part of the reason ! mid range is where diesels excel, overtaking is very painless in my accord tourer ctdi.

i will definitely be testing the crv and civic and new 1.6 idtec when it is out. as i have a van also i may consider changing for the new crz icf mugen. might be an idea for honda to make a +2 crz with more rear space as they dont plan a 3 dr civic.

if honda sold a freed here i might have that as my van but for now i have a citroen with only 67 hp which brings a whole new meaning to the word slow !

a jazz / fit shuttle with 4wd and the new 1.6 diesel in standard and ho outputs would be very tempting too !! or with the icf !!!!

Yes i know, I'm talking about the US Civic. The new euro Civic does appear to have a high quality interior. What I'm getting at is our friends across the pond seem to get a poor deal when it comes to interior quality even though they sell many more cars. It doesn't make sense to me.
Hondu
Profile for Hondu
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 13:39
fatbloke wrote:
vtiman wrote:

Yes i know, I'm talking about the US Civic. The new euro Civic does appear to have a high quality interior. What I'm getting at is our friends across the pond seem to get a poor deal when it comes to interior quality even though they sell many more cars. It doesn't make sense to me.

It probably make sense when you look at sales price and profit margin of the product...
saitamahonda
Profile for saitamahonda
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 17:11
At the LA Autoshow, i sat in the new 4th Gen CR-V and noted that the dash in these display prototypes were actually somewhat incomplete, where the air vent shut off levers were surprisingly flimsy and loose.

The upper dash is hard plastic. My current 2nd Gen CR-V has a wrapped leather upper dash which looks like leather but is a fake vinyl and after some time can get shiny with glare if not maintained cleaned. What's interesting is that the USDM 4th gen CR-V shown at the autoshow has an interesting "leather skin" like patterning where if you rub your fingers on it, it actually feels kind of rubbery. The dash material would prevent most sheen of glare and does not scuff or scratch like soft-touch rubberized plastic.

The rubberized plastic (almost always an organic polymer), exposed to UV/Ozone for a prolonged amount of time, oxidizes and becomes brittle. The solvents in the material that keep the rubber soft evaporates(oxidation or devulcanization) and once the material is exposed to cold temperatures (like at night) it contracts and heats up again(during the day) and expands.

Since the US market sees quite a bit of used-car sales, it would make sense to stick with a durable material that will last 10years+ for the USDM CR-V. It is a vehicle that does not pretend to be a luxury car and is popular thanks to its overall utility and value it provides. The resale value is high thanks to its overall durability and lack of degradation.

At the same time, one should consider their priorities when it comes to what "quality" means to them. If its perceived quality over durability, then I would rather pay less for better durability than pay more for more perceived quality.
vtiman
Profile for vtiman
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 17:18
I was agreeing with you that the latest civic and now apparently the crv will have a lower quality interior in north america then in europe. the same has been said about vw also. yet vw sales are up and honda sales are down partly due to the problems in Japan and elsewhere !

in the wider picture I cant help but think that the media have done a bit of a hatchet job on honda and all the haters have come out of the closet so to speak. you only have to read tov to see all the negative comments from people before they have even seen or driven the honda in question. i prefer to make my own conclusions.

honda are still high quality reliable cars and i certainly expect that my next car will be a honda. but you cant rest on your laurels so this announcement of future engines and transmissions is long overdue. for the us civic the 7 speed auto and the new petrol engines plus the euro civic interior would go a long way !

according2kev
Profile for according2kev
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 18:41
DCR wrote:
It is all in the execution.

I didn't really even realize my 2010 CR-V was entirely hard plastic until the comparisons between it and the 9th Gen started to happen. It is amazing how the proper use of geometry, patterns and color can draw the eye to important things and away from less desirable aspects.

So true.

I can't recall exactly how I found out (I think I took a cloth to the dash to clean it or sat coins up there to hear a surprising rattle) but I learned late too that my 98 Accord's upper dash was plastic. The grain matches the soft-touch portion perfectly and has a matte finish that really tricks the eye.
integrator
Profile for integrator
Re: Oh dear, euro CRV to get better quality interior. [View News Item]    (Score: 1, Normal) 12-02-2011 21:40
the current 2011 CRV's interior plastics are really excellent, even if they're hard. I will say that my '95 Integra has a soft black dash that still looks perfect, but I keep her garaged and well cleaned and protected.

Thread Page - [1]
Contact TOV | Submit Your Article | Submit Your Link | Advertise | TOV Shop | Events | Our Sponsors | TOV Archives
Copyright © 2014 Velocitech Inc. All information contained herein remains the property of Velocitech Inc.
The Temple of VTEC is not affiliated with American Honda Motor Co., Inc. TOV Policies and Guidelines - Credits - Privacy Policy
mobile: 0